• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Music Theory Explained

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Since a lot of talk has come up about this theory, I want to take some time to explain it.

What Is The Music Theory

People have noticed that the music is added on the website along with new characters. As a result, we can possibly predict which series will and won't get characters.

Theory Explained

If you’ve paid attention to the website at all, you’ll notice that it updates with a song every week (around Tuesday night in the US). Each song is from a different series (with the exception of the two “other” songs). Moreover, there has yet to be an instance where a series gets two or more songs. Additionally, the website only updates one song a week (that’s important for another reason). What onlookers noticed what that a series gets a new song soon after that series gets a newcomer. For reference,
  • Ridley was shown of at E3 on 6/12. The website, on its unveiling, included a song from Metroid (also on 6/12)
  • Inklings were officially revealed at E3 alongside Ridley. Splatoon got a song the very next week (6/19)
  • Simon was shown off on 8/8. His series, Castlevania, got a song the very same day
  • K Rool was shown off alongside Simon. He got a song the very next week (8/14)
  • Isabelle was shown off 9/13. Animal Crossing got a song on 9/18.

So, new characters will always get a song at the earliest opportunity. Since the website only updates with on song a week, any significant gaps are the result of another song for a newcomer pushing it back (see Inkling and K. Rool).

Interesting, what gives this theory more weight is Isabelle. The Nintendo Direct that revealed Isabelle was originally delayed from 9/6 to 9/13. However, it appears her music was delayed as well. See, each blog update has a number associated with it in the form of a .JSON number in the website’s code. The Animal Crossing song is number 140 and was released on 9/18. However, Pikmin came out the week prior on 9/11 and its numbered 146. So the music was saved until after Isabelle was revealed proving that the music post are used for newcomers.

What allows us to predict which characters could or could not be in is the fact that music does not overlap. So, if a Splatoon song is posted on the site, another Splatoon song will not be posted later. So, we can surmise that any series with a song on the site likely won't have a new character and any series without a song could possibly have a new character.

Echo Fighters

One thing I want to address is the confusion surrounding Echo Fighters. For the most part, it appears the music does not always related to a new character
  • Daisy was added to the site on 6/12 alongside Ridley and Inkling. Super Mario did not get a song until 9/4
  • Dark Samus was added on 8/8 but the Metroid song was added when the site opened on 6/12
  • Chrom was added on 8/8. Fire Emblem got a song on 8/21 after Castlevania and DK
What has caused confusion is it seems that Chrom did get a song but the others did not. What this tells us is that echo fighters could get a song when they are revealed but are not guaranteed. This means we can’t predict an echo fighter using the music as they could or could not get a song. It can go either way.

Series Not Receiving Song

It should be noted that some series will never get a song. Part of this is due to the fact that the series has no new song. From the Smash Bros Direct, we know that Ice Climbers, Game and Watch, ROB, Final Fantasy and Bayonetta will not have a song. Another caveat is Sonic. Sonic has only had one song rearranged (which was done by Jun Senoue, a SEGA employee). In Super Smash Bros for Wii U and 3DS, Sonic got new songs but not a new rearrangement. It should be noted that every other series except ROB and Game and Watch got a new song. It’s possible the same could happen here which means Sonic will not have a song on the website. However, this is currently unconfirmed.

Series Without a Song

Excluding the exceptions above, here are all the series that do not have a song as of 9/23/18
  • Star Fox
  • Pokemon
  • Earthbound
  • Warioware
  • Kid Icarus
  • Sonic*
  • Wii Fit
  • Punch-Out
  • Mii**
  • PAC-MAN
  • Xenoblade Chronicles
(*) - As noted above, Sonic may not get a song
(**) - Mii is listed as a separate series on the website. It does not have a separate category for music

It should be noted that the two “other” songs may be related to other series. The Galaga Medley is likely tied to PAC-MAN as classic Namco music was in the prior game. The Noisy Notebook could relate to Wii Fit or Mii. It should be noted that Wii Fit has 10 songs in Smash Bros Ultimate and the stage had 10 songs in Smash Bros for Wii U; however, this includes songs from Nintendogs (which already has its own stage). As of 9/22/18, there are 11 weeks remaining with 11 series possibly remaining. Since one or two of these series may not get songs (based on the above), it's possible there could be a new series or two.

Issues With The Theory

The main issue with the theory is the possibility of redoing series. Over the websites lifespan, there has been no instance where a series got two songs; however, that does not mean it couldn’t happen in the future. As we get closer to release, it will become more likely that a series will repeat as the number of remaining series shrinks. Additionally, the Wii U and 3DS sites did have two Super Mario songs. A series repeating means we can’t predict what series will get characters and which ones won't. That said, even if series do repeat it would likely be for larger ones like Super Mario.

The other key issue is we don’t know which series will and won't get songs. For instance, Sonic has historically not gotten new songs. Thus, it’s hard to tell how many series are left and thus its hard to predict if series will overlap or how many new series there could be. Also, there is the possibility that there could be another Smash song. Both Brawl and Smash Wii U/3DS has a series song that was separated from the main theme (one being the Melee theme rearranged and the other being Multi-Man Smash).

Possible Conclusions and Closing Thoughts

To finish off, I want to give some personal thoughts on this. Unlike the above, this is my own opinion.

First, I think this does give us an idea of the possible remaining characters. Notably, Pokemon has yet to have a song and many people are expecting Pokemon will have a new character. Another possibility is Xenoblade Chronicles. Xenoblade Chronicles X released in 2015 and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 released in 2017. Thus, there are at least two games to draw from. It's hard to say if the other series will have characters. Kid Icarus, Earthbound and Star Fox have characters to draw from but it's unlikely they will get in. On the opposite end, it's less likely that a new character from Mario, Zelda or Kirby will get in. It is possible that there will be some overlap and that one of those series could get another song, but it’s very unlikely all of them will. Moreover, we only saw this with Super Mario in the last game so it's hard to say Zelda or Kirby will get another.

Lastly, this does support the possibility of getting another new series. Although there are 11 songs left, some of them may not get new arrangements as discussed earlier. This leaves the possibility of a new series being added. It should be noted that Super Smash Bros Brawl added Olimar on January 9th 2018 (three weeks before the Japanese release) and Smash Bros for Wii U and 3DS added Shulk on August 29 2018 (two weeks before the Japanese release date).

My thoughts on this theory is that it should be used as a general guide. It provides a road map for what characters could be announced and which ones won't be. However, a few uncertainties could bring its validity into question. I wouldn’t say that for sure, 100% disconfirms or confirms any character. It just gives a general guide to what could be announced. That said, it’s reliability will either improve or decrease as more music is added and more new characters are shown off.

Sources:
Super Smash Bros Wii U/3DS music page: https://www.smashbros.com/wiiu-3ds/us/music/

Super Smash Bros Brawl music page: https://www.smashbros.com/wii/en_us/music/index.html

Link to Sonic Song for Brawl: https://www.smashbros.com/wii/en_us/music/music19.html

Shulks Reveal trailer (with date) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUl1EkUJ46k

Blog Theory Doc: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1r_eu-Y5ipUCEusPAbCr85doVJmuhJFn1fbBETi7NN2I/edit#
(credit to PolarPanda PolarPanda )

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
A possible scenario is that since multiple series like Wii Fit or Punch-Out! might not get new songs, a COUPLE series may get a second song (such as a MM remix for Skull Kid, or a SMRPG song for Geno). This is a scenario I can see. We only have 11 weeks of blog posts, so it'll be tight regardless. I could also imagine Incineroar and Ken being revealed next to each other, but only getting a Pokemon theme tied to that (since no Pokemon song has been posted yet). Ken throws a wrench into the conventional argument that music REMOVES any newcomers from a series, since so many people think Ken is "all-but-confirmed."
Music theory is somewhat tight regardless since so many popular newcomers are new franchises or ones without songs on the site, such as Incineroar or Isaac.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Should also probably note that Mario Kart is listed as a separate franchise. You can see so by two things.
1. In the August direct in the music section, there are two Mario Icons
2. In Brawl/Smash 4, you can see that Mario Kart is listed as it's own franchise when it comes to selecting the music.

So in the case that we do get a Mario Kart song on the website, that will not break the music theory.

Ken throws a wrench into the conventional argument that music REMOVES any newcomers from a series, since so many people think Ken is "all-but-confirmed."
This theory doesn't count echo fighters, as Dark Samus has already broken it by appearing after the Metroid song. It was stated so in the OP.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
A possible scenario is that since multiple series like Wii Fit or Punch-Out! might not get new songs, a COUPLE series may get a second song (such as a MM remix for Skull Kid, or a SMRPG song for Geno). This is a scenario I can see. We only have 11 weeks of blog posts, so it'll be tight regardless. I could also imagine Incineroar and Ken being revealed next to each other, but only getting a Pokemon theme tied to that (since no Pokemon song has been posted yet). Ken throws a wrench into the conventional argument that music REMOVES any newcomers from a series, since so many people think Ken is "all-but-confirmed."
Music theory is somewhat tight regardless since so many popular newcomers are new franchises or ones without songs on the site, such as Incineroar or Isaac.
With Ken, echoes don't follow the typical pattern. They could have music but having a song on the site doesn't exclude them. As far as repeats, we'll have to see. I don't know if I included it but the Brawl site never had a duplicate. Of course, it wasn't as structured as the blog seems to be. We'll know more as we get closer.

Should also probably note that Mario Kart is listed as a separate franchise. You can see so by two things.
1. In the August direct in the music section, there are two Mario Icons
2. In Brawl/Smash 4, you can see that Mario Kart is listed as it's own franchise when it comes to selecting the music.

So in the case that we do get a Mario Kart song on the website, that will not break the music theory.
Thanks for pointing that out. I never noticed. It will be interesting to see as the Wii U's site songs were from 3D Land and Mario and Luigi Dream Team.

Last edited:

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Thanks for pointing that out. I never noticed. It will be interesting to see as the Wii U's site songs were from 3D Land and Mario and Luigi Dream Team.
Yeah, both of those were from the Super Mario Bros franchise so the Wii U website still very much broke that rule. Though, it didn't seem like they were taking the Music on that website as seriously. It only had 13 tracks whereas Brawl had posted 20.

The only reason why I even noticed that Mario Kart thing in the first place is that I found it as odd that there were 2 Mario icons, and perhaps it had to do with Geno being a 3rd party Mario character. Though somebody had came and debunked my statement with the Mario Kart thing. It's so obscure because you can't actually view the franchises in Brawl/Smash 4 unless you go to Stage Builder.

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
11 Wednesdays left.

:ultfox::ultshulk::ultgreninja::ultpit::ultwario::ultness: - Those 6 should get a new song. I'm actually predicting that Starfox will be the next (tomorrow) to fall since it getting a newcomer (let alone unique) being really far fetched.

That'd make 5 new series if only those 6 got music.

:ultmario: (spin off) and :ultlittlemac: - I don't see these two being left out though. I'd also figure Punch Out would fall sooner rather than later since it's a rather small series. Which knocks it down to 3 new series.

Then there's the chance of a Smash remix or :ultgnw: getting some in similar fashion to how :ultpacman: and :ultwiifittrainer: got done. Just some general music to cover him, ROB, and Duck Hunt? Hard to say on that as they might just be "covered" in general with the two Misc songs we got. Oh and :ultsonic:. If we get Shadow or Tails I could see us getting a new song. Kind of hard to say. These three possibilities could knock it down to 1 new series or even 0.

So I think that at best we'd get 3 new series introduced. And Geno, if he gets in, could or could not come in as Mario/Mushroom since he's a rather odd one.

Last edited:

KingZing

Smash Journeyman
Dededebunked, today's song is Pokemon!

Man that feels good, I really dislike this kind of restrictive theories like the Box one. I really hoped this would turn out to be a coincidence, and either that, or no Incineroar!

Last edited:

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Dededebunked, today's song is Pokemon!

Man that feels good, I really dislike this kind of restrictive theories like the Box one. I really hoped this would turn out to be a coincidence, and either that, or no Incineroar!
It's not debunked until we see a newcomer from one of these franchises, no matter how likely a Pokemon newcomer seems to people.

KingZing

Smash Journeyman
It's not debunked until we see a newcomer from one of these franchises, no matter how likely a Pokemon newcomer seems to people.
I'll admit it's not 100% debunked and with any other franchise it wouldn't really mean much, but Pokemon? Regardless of leaks and popular opinion, a Pokemon newcomer is everything but confirmed just for Gen VII's sake and success. The Incineroar leaks, until now neutral, now go against this theory and hurt it quite a lot.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I'll admit it's not 100% debunked and with any other franchise it wouldn't really mean much, but Pokemon? Regardless of leaks and popular opinion, a Pokemon newcomer is everything but confirmed just for Gen VII's sake and success. Still hurts a huge lot this theory.
No. It is not all but confirmed. You're just sticking by arbitrary patterns. There's a good chance that there will be no new Pokemon at all. But, don't worry, there's always DLC.

KingZing

Smash Journeyman
No. It is not all but confirmed. You're just sticking by arbitrary patterns. There's a good chance that there will be no new Pokemon at all. But, don't worry, there's always DLC.
Really? I know it's no solid argument, but every Smash to date came with at least 1 Pokemon newcomer from the gen of the time. I would be legitimately surprised if there is no Pokemon newcomer at all. This theory is as arbitrary pattern as what I'm saying.

I for one want it to be debunked asap because I have faith that we may see newcomers I'm interested in from franchises that already have a song. Don't you guys?

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Really? I know it's no solid argument, but every Smash to date came with at least 1 Pokemon newcomer from the gen of the time. I would be legitimately surprised if there is no Pokemon newcomer at all. This theory is as arbitrary pattern as what I'm saying.

I for one want it to be debunked asap because I have faith that we may see newcomers I'm interested in from franchises that already have a song. Don't you guys?
But still, it's a pattern that can very easily be broken. This Smash is different.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Every Smash also came with a Mario character, and a new retro, and every Smash until 4 also came with a Zelda character.

People don’t get to pick and choose which patterns are unbreakable and which ones aren’t.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
But still, it's a pattern that can very easily be broken. This Smash is different.
Just like the Music Theory is a, perceived, pattern that can be broken as well. There really is nothing definitive to this at all, no more than any other fan theory.

I think everyone is just looking far too deep into things like this, the box art mock-up and even the chairs in the room where Sakurai's direct was filmed. The fact is, we just don't know what Sakurai has in store for us and breaking any "pattern," be it from previous games or one we made up ourselves, is not out of the question.

KingZing

Smash Journeyman
Every Smash also came with a Mario character, and a new retro, and every Smash until 4 also came with a Zelda character.

People don’t get to pick and choose which patterns are unbreakable and which ones aren’t.
I know it's no solid argument, but every Smash to date came with at least 1 Pokemon newcomer
And, what MacDaddyNook MacDaddyNook just said.

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
Maybe we're misinterpreting the pattern. Maybe it's not "Each Smash has one new fighter" and instead it's "Each Smash has at least one fighter who wasn't in the last Smash." Pokemon Trainer and Pichu (and Mewtwo if we're talking base rosters) satisfy this requirement and keep the pattern alive.

Heck, if you count DLC, it's a "very obvious" pattern of "Smash adds two Pokemon who weren't in the last game" since Mewtwo and Greninja mimic PT and Lucario, Pichu and Mewtwo, and Jigglypuff and Pikachu. PT and Pichu would satisfy this without the need for adding a newcomer and the trend is just about as accurate as a vague "we get at least one new Pokemon rep each time."

Basically, there's nothing telling us whether the pattern is "new fighter" or "additional fighter."

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I feel like your theory should include the possibility of another Mario song being posted, since the My Music section has two Mario icons. (presumably for Mario Kart or Mario Spinoff)

It's possible that music blog posts are based on the sections found in My Music and not strictly franchises.

Last edited:

Xigger

Smash Lord
Instead of rehashing the same points again and again, here's a summary of counter arguments in this thread:
  • Some series may not get song posts, whether they are big franchises or not.
  • Mario Kart has a music icon, showing that music posts aren't inherently tied to fighter.
  • Clashes with other theories: If you believe in Vergeben, or Ken's picture leaks, then you don't believe this theory. (Pokemon music w/o newcomer, Street Fighter music w/o Ken)
  • The simple belief that newcomers may predict music, but not the other way around.
  • The simple belief that patterns are just that: patterns until they're not.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Instead of rehashing the same points again and again, here's a summary of counter arguments in this thread:
  • Some series may not get song posts, whether they are big franchises or not.
  • Mario Kart has a music icon, showing that music posts aren't inherently tied to fighter.
  • Clashes with other theories: If you believe in Vergeben, or Ken's picture leaks, then you don't believe this theory. (Pokemon music w/o newcomer, Street Fighter music w/o Ken)
  • The simple belief that newcomers may predict music, but not the other way around.
  • The simple belief that patterns are just that: patterns until they're not.
I'll respond in bold
  • Some series may not get song posts, whether they are big franchises or not. - We wont know this until the end but I think the idea you are getting at is it will repeat. But really, this point is a backwards way to get to "songs could repeat"
  • Mario Kart has a music icon, showing that music posts aren't inherently tied to fighter. - This makes no sense. The songs are tied to series and each new characters has gotten a song from their series. Mario Kart being separate in My Music means very little.
  • Clashes with other theories: If you believe in Vergeben, or Ken's picture leaks, then you don't believe this theory. (Pokemon music w/o newcomer, Street Fighter music w/o Ken) - Ken doesn't matter as echoes don't count anyway. This contradicts his rumor but a rumor existing doesn't invalidate this as it's not proven to be true.
  • The simple belief that newcomers may predict music, but not the other way around. - Not sure what your saying here. The music has always followed the character. The idea is that if a song happens, a character from that series is less likely. It can be used to guess who could be in as well which I pointed out.
  • The simple belief that patterns are just that: patterns until they're not. - This is basically "Well it COULD be wrong. We don't know." It's not a counter argument, just doubt for doubt's sake.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Double post, but we've got a new song, and it's from Tomodachi Life

One of the biggest issues with the theory was if a series could get two songs. With this, it means there are only 9 songs left to post. There are about 8 series left without a song so the chances of a series getting two songs is slim now. This helps it quite a bit.

That said, the song here could apply to the Miis since they have a series under characters.

D

Deleted member

Heck, if you count DLC, it's a "very obvious" pattern of "Smash adds two Pokemon who weren't in the last game" since Mewtwo and Greninja mimic PT and Lucario, Pichu and Mewtwo, and Jigglypuff and Pikachu. PT and Pichu would satisfy this without the need for adding a newcomer and the trend is just about as accurate as a vague "we get at least one new Pokemon rep each time."
I personally think that it's "each Smash adds 2 Pokemon reps that were in no way present in the game directly previous." PT doesn't count as new because Charizard was in Sm4sh, thus making PT, at least partially, present.

Top Bottom