• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Mouse with 100,000 Volts! Raichu for Smash Ultimate!

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Raichu
Raichu is the evolved form of Pikachu and the final evolution of Pikachu's line. He made his first appearance in Pokemon Red & Green in 1996 (the Japanese version) and is one of the most powerful Electric type Pokemon in that game (or Gen 1 as a whole).

Often overshadowed by his much more popular pre-evolution Pikachu, Raichu still has it's fans. He got an Alolan form in Pokemon Sun & Moon showing that Game Freak still cares enough about the character to do that much for Raichu.

Raichu is perhaps best known for his appearance in the Pokemon anime where Lt. Surge's Raichu fought Ash's Pikachu in the episode "Electric Shock Showdown" back in the first season.

:026:Moveset:026:

So what does Raichu bring to Smash? I feel that he would make for a great semi-clone of Pikachu in this game being sort of like what :4ganondorf:is to :4falcon: in that Raichu would be a slower, heavier version of Pikachu except more bulkier and powerful. Basically he would be the anti-Pichu in that he would have moves that are considerably more powerful than his pre-evolutuonary counterpart.

Here's some examples that can show how Raichu's Specials could differ from Pikachu's.

Neutral :GCB:: Thunderbolt. Thunderjolt should be upgraded to Thunderbolt for Raichu. As in it's somewhat slower to use but is more powerful and covers more space than Pikachu's Thunderjolt would.

Side:GCB:: Zap Cannon. I think Raichu needs to omit Skull Bash from his moveset completely and instead have Zap Cannon as a Side B. Basically, he could charge up Zap Cannon as a projectile and depending on how long it's charged the more deadly it's damage and knockback will be. Player can opt to use quick, weaker non-charged Zap Cannon's or more powerful charged up versions of the move.

Up :GCB:: Quick Attack. I feel that Raichu's Quick Attack could have 3 moves to it instead of Pikachu's 2. Like instead of Pikachu's easy to use 2 moves for his Quick Attack, Raichu's version would have 3 extremely fast moves he could use. It would be very hard to use efficiently but if mastered could be a great mix up tool for recovery and tricking the opponent. It's start up lag would be longer than Pika's but it would go so fast and also deal electric damage to those who come in to contact. I think this would make up for Raichu's lack of Skull Bash.

Down :GCB:: Thunder. Maybe Raichu's version Thunder can hit horizontally as well? Like his Thunder would go both horizontally and vertically but would have more of an emphasis on it's horizontal trajectory? That would be the opposite of Pikachu's Thunder IIRC.

Final Smash: Transform. Raichu transforms in to his Alolan version and is considerably more powerful, also being able to use Psychic moves. Just hopefully not a carbon copy of Pika's FS lol.

:026:Counterarguments:026:

"Gen 1 already has too much representation!" and/or "Raichu isn't relevant"

Gen representation has never bothered Sakurai that much aside from having the new most popular Pokemon character from the most recent or upcoming Gen. Sakurai added the Gen 1 Trio when they were hardly relevant aside from the Gen 1 remakes.

Raichu himself has at least gotten a new form in the most recent gen, Gen 7. It also helps our little guy that he's attached to Pikachu, the most iconic Pokemon in the franchise. I would also argue that Gen 1 Pokemon in general are the ones most easily recognized by the broadest range of people, casual and hardcore alike.

"Pichu should return instead of Raichu!"

I don't mean to sound like a detractor for this character but I honestly believe Raichu would be a better fit for Smsah then his 1st evolutionary state.

:pichumelee: itself is probably the least requested veteran to return anyways. I also feel his niche of being a joke, underdog character has long passed since the day of Melee and Sakurai doesn't add characters like that anymore. With Raichu, you would have a more respectable clone of :4pikachu:that adds his own unique flavor to the moveset and isn't a joke character.

That being said, in an ideal world we could have both characters on the roster.

EDIT: Pichu's back NVM lol.

:026:Alts:026:

Coming Soon...hopefully lol.​

:026:Supporters! :026:

Lets get our little guy in to Smash!

Ura
SEGAGameBoy
DelphoxFan97
Curious Villager
Diddy Kong
RileyXY1
ryuu seika
Bootortle
Dixie Kong
toonito
Mastermiine
Mr.Roidley
User Kev
Some Beedrill
Mr._Smasher​

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
You're on the support list! :026:

Maybe Raichu's chances increase somewhat with the rumored Pokemon Lets Go! Pikachu and Lets Go! Eevee? In a sense that he would be an easy to make semi-clone in the game.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Well with :ultpichu:back in the game it looks like Raichu's chances are R.I.P.

Poor little guy. :026:

Maybe someday...

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
Hey, if we do get Raichu, then we'd have all three members of the evolutionary line as playable characters. I can definitely see Raichu working as an Echo Fighter for Pikachu.

If I remember correctly, I think the Alolan Raichu is a Poke Ball Pokemon, so the playable Raichu would definitely be the Kanto one.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
You know what, after learning more about how Echo fighters work and after seeing this. I don't mind seeing Kantonian Raichu as Pikachu's echo. Would bring back memories of the Smash 64 day's and the silly rumours of unlocking Raichu after playing Classic on very hard with only one stock as Pikachu. The memories...

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Definitely a possible Pikachu Echo.
This. But I always imagined Raichu playing far more like N64's Smash Pikachu, who is far more of a powerhouse compared to all other Pikachu incarnations in Smash. This is reason enough for me to support Raichu. Give him N64's Pikachu's B Air , N Air, effects of the F Air, old skool Thunder and F Throw and we're golden. :026:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I think Raichu would work better as a Melee style clone being to Pika what Ganon was to Falcon.

But of course being an Echo could work. I want to see all evolutionary forms of Pikachu be in Smash.

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
The most possible Echo Fighters I can think of are:

Raichu (Pokemon)
Octoling (Splatoon)
Ms. Pac-Man (Pac-Man)
Shadow (Sonic) If his AT didn't return.

If we want the entire evolutionary line to be playable, I'd say it's time to get your Raichu requests in. We already have big names like Inkling, Ridley, Simon, Chrom, Dark Samus, and King K. Rool out of the way, so there's more possibilities.

Bootortle

Smash Apprentice
NNID
J-Dudd
3DS FC
0259-0284-1711
Switch FC
SW-4554-3900-0616
I didn't think about it until now, but Raichu would make for a great echo and would get all of Pikachu's line playable (unless you want to count Alolan Raichu)
I've always liked Pichu and Raichu a bit more than Pikachu
The only problem I would have with Raichu is that gen 1 is already a little overrepresented in smash
but I'd still love to see him
The only problem I could really see is tail attacks

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
I really greatly dislike all this Genwunner pandering Pokemon's been doing lately, especially with Let's Go, and Gen 1 is really oversaturating the Pokemon reps, but Raichu wouldn't be a bad idea for an Echo.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Gotta update the support list. Thanks to everyone who supported.

Mastermiine

Smash Journeyman
I am not in support for really any more gen 1 pokes.
But Ill take an echo.

We have 3 links
We have 2 Samus
2 Marios
2 Pikachu

I am fine with paper mario and richu to add to the three

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I am not in support for really any more gen 1 pokes.
But Ill take an echo.

We have 3 links
We have 2 Samus
2 Marios
2 Pikachu

I am fine with paper mario and richu to add to the three
You mean 3 Samuses. But, considering we have 3 Links and 3 Samuses, I would be fine with 3 Pikachus. It would be nice seeing the whole line in Smash.

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
Hey, after Mimikyu was deconfirmed, I'm definitely on board for a Raichu echo! Would definitely have it over any Gen VII Pokemon. You can add me to the support list :)

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Hey, after Mimikyu was deconfirmed, I'm definitely on board for a Raichu echo! Would definitely have it over any Gen VII Pokemon. You can add me to the support list :)
I don't think that Mimikyu could work as a Pikachu echo. Raichu, yes.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Raichu should definitely be in Smash to complete the evolutionary line
Yeah. I think he could make for a good Echo Fighter of Pikachu or even a semi-clone. Would take either at this point.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Raichu could be great because he'd be heavy-ish. I guess I'm on the bandwagon now and he's as likely as literally being the next stage of Pikachu. Give me good ol' classic Raichu.

The only odds I believe that's holding him back is gen 1 overrepresentation.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Raichu could be great because he'd be heavy-ish. I guess I'm on the bandwagon now and he's as likely as literally being the next stage of Pikachu. Give me good ol' classic Raichu.

The only odds I believe that's holding him back is gen 1 overrepresentation.
Dude you make it sound like there's a bandwagon for Raichu. I mean hell if there is one i'd like to know lol.

I doubt Raichu's chances for this game (he would have to be standalone DLC and I can't see a reason for that happening) but if he was character for Smash 6 that would be awesome.

I'm of the belief that Gen 1 overrepresentation isn't as much of an issue seeing as Sakurai put like 3 characters from a single FE game in Ultimate. If Raichu were added, he would be a semi-clone of Pikachu so it's not that big of a deal IMO. Plus I think the idea of a heavier, more powerful Pikachu would be appealing for some.

Some Beedrill

Smash Apprentice
I'd love to see a slower but heavier Pikachu that could be more about waiting for your opponent to mess up and sets up weird situations for them. I support

(also Ash's Pikachu should've became a Raichu fight me)

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I'd love to see a slower but heavier Pikachu that could be more about waiting for your opponent to mess up and sets up weird situations for them. I support

(also Ash's Pikachu should've became a Raichu fight me)
I'm not sure about waiting on your opponent to make a mistake but yeah, I envision him as slower, more powerful Pikachu. His specials would also be enhanced and superior to that of Pikachu's in many ways (mentioned in the OP).

Thanks for supporting, added you to the list!

Mr_Smasher

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-3129-3716-0313
Raichu
Raichu is the evolved form of Pikachu and the final evolution of Pikachu's line. He made his first appearance in Pokemon Red & Green in 1996 (the Japanese version) and is one of the most powerful Electric type Pokemon in that game (or Gen 1 as a whole).

Often overshadowed by his much more popular pre-evolution Pikachu, Raichu still has it's fans. He got an Alolan form in Pokemon Sun & Moon showing that Game Freak still cares enough about the character to do that much for Raichu.

Raichu is perhaps best known for his appearance in the Pokemon anime where Lt. Surge's Raichu fought Ash's Pikachu in the episode "Electric Shock Showdown" back in the first season.

:026:Moveset:026:

So what does Raichu bring to Smash? I feel that he would make for a great semi-clone of Pikachu in this game being sort of like what :4ganondorf:is to :4falcon: in that Raichu would be a slower, heavier version of Pikachu except more bulkier and powerful. Basically he would be the anti-Pichu in that he would have moves that are considerably more powerful than his pre-evolutuonary counterpart.

Here's some examples that can show how Raichu's Specials could differ from Pikachu's.

Neutral :GCB:: Thunderbolt. Thunderjolt should be upgraded to Thunderbolt for Raichu. As in it's somewhat slower to use but is more powerful and covers more space than Pikachu's Thunderjolt would.

Side:GCB:: Zap Cannon. I think Raichu needs to omit Skull Bash from his moveset completely and instead have Zap Cannon as a Side B. Basically, he could charge up Zap Cannon as a projectile and depending on how long it's charged the more deadly it's damage and knockback will be. Player can opt to use quick, weaker non-charged Zap Cannon's or more powerful charged up versions of the move.

Up :GCB:: Quick Attack. I feel that Raichu's Quick Attack could have 3 moves to it instead of Pikachu's 2. Like instead of Pikachu's easy to use 2 moves for his Quick Attack, Raichu's version would have 3 extremely fast moves he could use. It would be very hard to use efficiently but if mastered could be a great mix up tool for recovery and tricking the opponent. It's start up lag would be longer than Pika's but it would go so fast and also deal electric damage to those who come in to contact. I think this would make up for Raichu's lack of Skull Bash.

Down :GCB:: Thunder. Maybe Raichu's version Thunder can hit horizontally as well? Like his Thunder would go both horizontally and vertically but would have more of an emphasis on it's horizontal trajectory? That would be the opposite of Pikachu's Thunder IIRC.

Final Smash: Transform. Raichu transforms in to his Alolan version and is considerably more powerful, also being able to use Psychic moves. Just hopefully not a carbon copy of Pika's FS lol.

:026:Counterarguments:026:

"Gen 1 already has too much representation!" and/or "Raichu isn't relevant"

Gen representation has never bothered Sakurai that much aside from having the new most popular Pokemon character from the most recent or upcoming Gen. Sakurai added the Gen 1 Trio when they were hardly relevant aside from the Gen 1 remakes.

Raichu himself has at least gotten a new form in the most recent gen, Gen 7. It also helps our little guy that he's attached to Pikachu, the most iconic Pokemon in the franchise. I would also argue that Gen 1 Pokemon in general are the ones most easily recognized by the broadest range of people, casual and hardcore alike.

"Pichu should return instead of Raichu!"

I don't mean to sound like a detractor for this character but I honestly believe Raichu would be a better fit for Smsah then his 1st evolutionary state.

:pichumelee: itself is probably the least requested veteran to return anyways. I also feel his niche of being a joke, underdog character has long passed since the day of Melee and Sakurai doesn't add characters like that anymore. With Raichu, you would have a more respectable clone of :4pikachu:that adds his own unique flavor to the moveset and isn't a joke character.

That being said, in an ideal world we could have both characters on the roster.

EDIT: Pichu's back NVM lol.

:026:Alts:026:

Coming Soon...hopefully lol.​

:026:Supporters! :026:

Lets get our little guy in to Smash!

Ura
SEGAGameBoy
DelphoxFan97
Curious Villager
Diddy Kong
RileyXY1
ryuu seika
Bootortle
Dixie Kong
toonito
Mastermiine
Mr.Roidley
User Kev
Some Beedrill​
I support this. Raichu is one of my most wanted characters.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I remember my ''Friend'' trying to tell tme you could temporarily unlock Richu In 64
That rumor was widespread huh?

I remember that rumor from way back in the day, sort of like Elementary School playground talk where we talked about a bunch of silly rumors in Smash games.

One rumor was the Raichu rumor and the other was unlocking Goku by doing Very Hard with Fox, 1-stock, no damage, or extra continues.

Funny how I ate up all those rumors, even the Sonic & Tails hoax from '06.
I support this. Raichu is one of my most wanted characters.
Added!

I hope Raichu is made a semi-clone of Pika one day.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Or even a full on echo fighter.
I think it would make more sense for Raichu to be a semi-clone TBH. Different sizes and of course Raichu would pack more of a punch compared to Pika.

riggsbass

Smash Apprentice
Raichu would make for an awesome echo in the same way Wolf might be considered an echo of Fox! A heavier-weight Pikachu, if you will! You all have my support - hoping they consider something like an echo pack in the future!

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I think it would make more sense for Raichu to be a semi-clone TBH. Different sizes and of course Raichu would pack more of a punch compared to Pika.
Some echos have notable differences with their base fighter, notably Ken and Chrom.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Some echos have notable differences with their base fighter, notably Ken and Chrom.
Well yes, but they still abide to certain rules, like height. Raichu couldn't abide to that one.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Replace Pikachu and Pichu with Raichu now!

Pikachu really is overused and unlike Jibanyan it doesnt have the Personality or Power to back it up!

Top Bottom