• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The most overused characters online(poll)

Which characters do you come across the most online?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jasir

Smash Rookie
Apologies if this kind of thread exists, I just signed up so I was only born yesterday. I personally see a Lil Mac in pretty much every other game but that's not a problem because they are really easy to kill except the good ones who know how to use Mac's super armor. I only put the top ten I come across the most in my opinion.

Shen_Jehuty

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2423-3102-6095
Little Mac hands down, although I've recently been fighting more Bowsers then anything else.

shinegreymon

Smash Rookie
Apologies if this kind of thread exists, I just signed up so I was only born yesterday. I personally see a Lil Mac in pretty much every other game but that's not a problem because they are really easy to kill except the good ones who know how to use Mac's super armor. I only put the top ten I come across the most in my opinion.
Do you have any problem with easy to KO people xD

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
You've really seen a lot of Falcons? I main the guy but I've only ever run into a single other Falcon in my nearly 300 matches.

Jasir

Smash Rookie
You've really seen a lot of Falcons? I main the guy but I've only ever run into a single other Falcon in my nearly 300 matches.
i have, but they dont start out with falcon. they usually pick him after comfortable matches where they know i dont spam

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
i have, but they dont start out with falcon. they usually pick him after comfortable matches where they know i dont spam
Ah I see. Unfortunately a lot of people quit on me after a one or two games, I've noticed, so I don't see variance in characters that much. Makes my experience with lag very sporadic. People care about their W/L a lot I guess.

Last edited:

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
My vote goes for Little Mac too, I reached the point of just dodging their constant Jolt Haymakers and Straight Lunges until they SD during 4 player matches.

Quetzal77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
yomugo
3DS FC
1349-4940-0147
Little Mac hands down.Literally run into at least one every time I connect, usually more than one. Haven't seen any other fighter being used nearly as much.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I keep fighting Dark Pits, Bowsers, and the occassional Marios/Dr. Marios and Captain Falcons. I don't see Little Mac often or Link, Toon Link, The Villager, Marth, Zelda, Samus, Falco, and some other characters.

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
Little Mac (from Westerners) and Yoshi and Greninja (from Japanese players).

Interestingly, SHI Gaming made a tier list based off of the results Umebura 8 (they provided the livestream for said tournament btw) and both Yoshi and Greninja were in the top tier. I wonder if that had any influence on all of these Japanese players I find who always seem to play as one or both of these two characters.

PizzaGuy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1289-8286-7485
I see more Little Macs than anyone else but Lucina and Toon Link are high up there too.

Spirst

Surprised Greninja is that high considering I rarely see him. And the ones I do see are usually pretty subpar.

D3monicWolv3s

Smash Ace
I keep seeing zero suit samus. I played four different zero suit samus players last night. All sporting the black alt too, which I thought was odd.

I'm not helping with the little mac problem, but I had to deal with people who would use fox/falco/marth/metaknight/shiek in previous games, so I don't feel bad for liking a popular choice this time around.

Jerm

U Feelin' It?
NNID
Jermalie0
3DS FC
4940-5666-9945
I usually body a kid and then he switches to little Mac for some reason...and then I body his little Mac even harder lol.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Holy **** is little mac really used in like 90% of the games or does everyone just agree he's the most used? XD

My elo/mmr/skill rating hasn't gotten that high yet, right now almost everyone I face is pretty bad but the character variety is great.

KurashiDragon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KurashiDragon
3DS FC
3952-7603-8923
Switch FC
7836 7746 6189
Maybe I'm just lucky but after the first night of playing so many Little Mac,...... I barely ever see them anymore...... and now I just jinxed myself to about 100 more little macs tomorrow. Well at least my Megaman takes a huge dump all over them.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I found quite a few Little Macs, Lucarios, Zero Suit Samuses, Robins in online matches.

Clemente

Smash Journeyman
Little Mac, but also a lot of Lucina, good amount of Greninja, ZSS, Sheik, and starting today some Captain Falcons. Then like 80% of the roster I never see. I'm starting to find out that the Smash community will very quickly cling to the stuff deemed good and not touch anything that isn't considered the "top tier". It's sorta sad to not see a lot of stuff EVER.

Last edited:

SwoodGrommet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RIPinpieces
3DS FC
3652-0583-3903
Wow. I thought people were just really exaggerating the amount of Little Macs. I've run into a few, but not a lot to make him be the first character that popped into my head when I saw the thread. I've definitely seen waaayy more Lucinas.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Little Mac and Stupid and Not fair-play Bowsercide ... That's ALL !

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Lil'Mac by far, but to be frank. I've only run into 1 in for glory that knew what he was doing.

Most people are just trying to ride him because he takes time to learn how to fight against him.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
I have played ZSS since 08 in Brawl. #sorryimnotsorry

Also, does anyone else think "overused" is a weird term? If something is borderline bad or even terrible and used a ton (think Sonic in Brawl around 09) then "overused" is appropriate, because like, why are so many people bothering? If a character is great and a lot of people are playing them, I feel like they are getting the "appropriate" amount of use. This thread should be renamed "good characters being used appropriately often relative to the strength of the character?"

Last edited:

Gileril

Smash Cadet
Was originally little mac, but now I get a lot of sheik and Bowser; not sure how matchmaking works, but perhaps it's because of different skill levels prefer different characters. Mario and Zelda are both popular counter picks against my Jr. Have only ever been matched into one Jr. mirror.

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
I have played ZSS since 08 in Brawl. #sorryimnotsorry

Also, does anyone else think "overused" is a weird term? If something is borderline bad or even terrible and used a ton (think Sonic in Brawl around 09) then "overused" is appropriate, because like, why are so many people bothering? If a character is great and a lot of people are playing them, I feel like they are getting the "appropriate" amount of use. This thread should be renamed "good characters being used appropriately often relative to the strength of the character?"
There is a huge difference between a strong character and a strong player.

Little Mac is a strong character that weak players cling to. It gets a little boring to fight the 100th Little Mac in a row when they do silly things like self-destruct with Jolt Haymaker. I've seen some good Little Macs who gave me a run for my money, but that has not been the majority.

Sure, I understand that people want to play to win and that's all well and good, but uh... it's not really winning when you get 2 stocked by someone who only took 22% from you for the whole fight. Playing to win means... actually trying to win.

Last edited:

Nasreth

Smash Cadet
Well I open with Lucina and if someone's willing to stick around after losing 3-4 games in a row I usually switch it up into Lil Mac, ZSS, or Fox. So I'm probably not helping much.

SmashingObjection

Smash Cadet
NNID
Leviathan
3DS FC
1521-5713-8600
I hate fighting against Little Mac, sitting near the edge and waiting for a grab gets pretty boring. That being said I've been lucky to only encounter a couple so my vote goes to Zero Suit as I've seen her the most.

Geizt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Icarus
3DS FC
3196-3334-4755
I've been seeing a ton of Bowser Jrs. Maybe it's to diminish the population of Little Macs.

Tshockz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
speed0fsound
3DS FC
1762-3005-1769
Little mac by far ive seen so many of them and almost all have them have been annoying to fight.

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
Mac is literally the only common opponent i have. Ive faced ZSS once? lol
Hell ive had more Megaman mirror matches than ive seen most of the characters (except mac) on this pole, and even thats rare. I got about 350 games or so.

The annoying thing about mac is he isnt even hard to deal with, hes just annoying as all hell and can pull a kill out of nowhere with his ridiculously high priority moves. Even against a trash mac you can lose if you slip up even a tiny tiny bit.

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
Little Mac, Bowser and Greninja are by far the most common character's I see during my online matches. While they are annoying to battle, most of my encounters with these three characters have been with players who are not experienced or just spam moves over and over again, making them easy to punish.

RedbeardMetroid

Smash Rookie
Little Mac winning by a landslide. He and Greninja are the most common characters I see. ZZS is getting up there though which is slightly depressing.

SwoodGrommet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RIPinpieces
3DS FC
3652-0583-3903
Okay I take it back. Sonic is the most used character online. What with his speed, you'd think he wouldn't be able to do so much damage, but I guess not :glare:

Top Bottom