• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The "Midwest Massacre" Tournament

Needle of Juntah

Smash Champion
What time? Directions?

Exactly what time do we need to be there? Also, Can we get some kinda direction? I really want to make this Tourney cause i have never been to one and would love to show my skills. But i would hate to miss it because i cant find it :/ Im comming from Auburn Hills.

D

Deleted member

Do we have enough GameCubes or do you still want people to bring theirs if they can? It, being Thursday already, is getting very close to tournament time so I think we need to get this set if it's not already. Sorry if this has already been addressed.

jv3x3

Smash Champion
If anyone is worried about finding it you can pm supersayin and get a cell phone number just in case. Im also willing to give out my cell if anyone cant get ahold of him.

As far as directions themselves if you punch everything in www.mapquest.com it will give you everything step by step directions.

Yes please bring a gamecube if you can. Remember people the more setups we have the more smoothly things will go. We could use additional tvs too.

Rules are final, start times I would say friendlys at 12:00 (you do not have to be there for friendlys) team tourney at 1:00 (you must be there before 1 in order to register, the only other way would be to call ss or me on our cell because you are on your way and not far, in which case i will put you/the people you are coming with down). SS makes the final call here. But if this is it its important people be there before 1. Once again wait to hear for SS.

Everything else looks good, gonna be he11a fun. See everyone there

smasher1001

Smash Journeyman
hey,jv3x3,im just curious,yd u put more than half the stages on the banned list?im not tellin you to change em or anythin,im just lil curious,and jus in case u guys didnt know,im bringin my cousin whos bringin a friend:)

Joshu

BRoomer
BRoomer
Lalos con need

Meh...

Turns out I had my second car die in a single month, so until I get my third car (which won't be for a while) I'm not goin anywhere fast....
So basically, unless anyone going to this can swing by South Bend, Indiana to give us a lift, we aren't going to be able to make this.....meh

jv3x3

Smash Champion
Originally posted by smasher1001
hey,jv3x3,im just curious,yd u put more than half the stages on the banned list?im not tellin you to change em or anythin,im just lil curious,and jus in case u guys didnt know,im bringin my cousin whos bringin a friend:)
Ummm.... some of them are out right broken, the others there are places that are so adventagous to camp (sit there) that without a time limit to force people to attack it has too much potential to draw matches on and on. And if the other person choses to attack the person in the good position they are at a significant disadvantage. Items help a little, but with most game breaking items turned off (because i wanted as little chance as could be that an item decides the match) it is not enough.

Basically, Im just trying to make things as fair as possible without matches running too long and slowing down the tournament a bunch.

Joshu, that sucks man.... really looking forward to playing you and iggy. Oh well, hopefully atlanta.

x1372

Smash Ace
hey man whatever, it's your... friend's tourney

Alright one at a time.... Very low is much less prevalient with no time limit, and the spawn rate is still high enough. Couple that with almost all (if not all) game breaking items turned off and you are good.

Random, check the OC, very similar dont you think?

Time limit creates false wins.

Stages, jungle with the rock is most certainly off. I must have simply missed that, cause i consider it to be one of the most broken stages out there. Very sorry. MK 2 will be off too, although i didnt consider it, for you can control to much area and get items, you seem to think it is big. So it is off.

If you are that confident play me for a chunk of change...How bout it?

Final rules, no revisions will be made.

-4 stock, Best of 3 (Semis and finals best of 5)
-Double Elimination
-Seeding for groups that came together (so you at least wont play your friends/crew early in the tourney)
-First stage random or agreed upon and double blind character picks can be requested
-Loser then picks either a new character (winner has to stay) and the stage pick goes back to random or agreed upon) or picks stage
-Items set on Very Low
-The following items will be turned off Hearts/Tomato/Starman/StarRod/Hammer/Mushrooms/Beamsword/HomerunBat/PartyBall/Bom-omb/Pokeballs
-Following stages are banned, not even allowed on counter pick.
Peachs Castle, Corneria, Onett, Great Bay, Mushroom Kingdom, MK II, Icicle Mountain, Jungle Japes, Green Greens, Temple, Brinstar Depths, Yoshis Island, Vemon, Big Blue, Fourside, FlatZone, Yoshis Island N64, Kongo Jungle
-Pause Off
-Team Attack ON
-Life Taking allowed (teams)
-IC glitch allowed, but you must kill if you can, and you freeze the game you lose the match.

P.S. Glad to hear from other people, ill see all you all at the tourney. Also, rules are fair as i can make them with items.

well, I realize you said everything was finalized, but hey, I'm just going to argue one last time for the fact that I think you're making a mistake.

It has been tested and agreed upon by a very large number of people that very low items causes more problems than low items does. I know that it was mentioned back in the snexus 2 topic, but, REGARDLESS of whatever else you have to say, very low items allows for much larger possibility of one person having access to an item while the opponent has no chance to get one for a very long time. That is much more of an item imbalance than both getting a large number of items each.

Just because someone has arbitrarily set some rules for the OC doesn't make that the sudden standard for tourney rules, even if you have similar levels. Some of the levels you have banned are perfectly legitimate for no items games... specifically floats cruise and mute... and aren't banned by them. Also, I can't understand the removal of star rods, but whatever. I wouldn't doubt that their item rules will likely change after the tourney because of problems that will likely develop. Copying without understanding the thought process behind it is useless.

The fact that you're removing MORE stages only leads me to question the logic of it in the first place. You have basically, if I read it correctly, stripped the stage selection down to the list I made for no item matches plus brinstar... which I still can't fathom why you'd leave that on while removing others. that's possibly one of the more annoying random levels.

You're allowing the ice climbers glitch too... well, I won't go into that.

As for your thing about camping, it is a fair and useful tactic, although you seem to be taking great pains to remove it. If you really want to make the timer a nonissue, set it to five times the stock of the match, but completely removing it can lead to more abuse than having a timer that's too short.

I suppose that arguing this is kinda a moot point, since you seem set in what you're deciding. Also, it appears that I am not going to make it to this, last time I talked with V he said a very strong "no." He's my ride, so I guess I can't come anyway.

But jv... I would be willing to play you in a $5 money set. Sorry if you feel that's too cheap, but I don't believe in allowing a large sum of money to be decided by a single set... Even if I think I'd win, I'm not willing to put up much money. So on the off chance I make it, you're on.

oh well, hope everyone involved has fun. Here's hoping nobody gets undeserved wins due to the way the items play out, hope your games are still fun despite removing most of the strategical aspect, and hope the best player wins.

sorry, gotta go. don't have much computer time here.

S

SUPERSAYIN

sorry i havent been able to get on in a little my computer is messed up, but it sucks that a bunch are dropping out but it will still be cool, totally cool.

I think its hilarious how x13758 or whatever was so peristant on argueing a point that does not even matter on a tournamnet that hes not even going to but whatever, and camping, a good and fair strategy, **** that.

But yeah try to get there before 1 cause i would like to start it then.

Liptonbuddy

Smash Lord
Joshu and Iggy aren't coming!?!? Awwww, I won't be able to get the arm wrestling match on tape! Plus I wanted to play you both because I hear you're some of the best, and I'd like to play you guys to see your style. Especially a really good Luigi...At least this ups my chances for a win!......err, I suck... I'm bringing my video camera, too, so I'll catch all the tournament hijinks and shenanigans, as well as get some good match footage to put up on AIM to keep (plug coming up) music video I just made company! You can get it on the screen name "boogers n piss". I'm hoping I get ahold of my friend today who is suposedly driving me to this thing. If not, I'll just have to have daddy drive, hehehehe. Midwest Massacre, here I come! Yeee Hawwww!!!!

S

SUPERSAYIN

good news we dont have to split up the tournaments anymore we can have everything in the clubhouse, because some lady is super nice and she might want me but thats besides the point. so if everyone wants to start arriving at the clubhouse anytime after noon that would be awesome we are going to try and start stuff around 1.

Asmog

Smash Apprentice
I believe Fusegen and myself are coming to this, if i don't oversleep or something :p.

S

SUPERSAYIN

oh man tomorrow is going to be sweet im very psyched. Glad to see that 2 more are coming.

S

SUPERSAYIN

oh man tomorrow is going to be sweet im very psyched. Glad to see that 2 more are coming.

Liptonbuddy

Smash Lord
Originally posted by SUPERSAYIN
good news we dont have to split up the tournaments anymore we can have everything in the clubhouse, because some lady is super nice and she might want me but thats besides the point. so if everyone wants to start arriving at the clubhouse anytime after noon that would be awesome we are going to try and start stuff around 1.
Wait a minute, so friendlies no longer start at 2:00, and the actual tourney no longer starts at 4:00, and now starts at 1:00!?!? I can't make it there till 2:00, and I was expecting some practice matches before the tourney. That's not a good thing to do, you know, change the time of the tourney the day before it is. Alot of people might not have checked the boards from when you posted that, and will probably come at 2:00 like myself. Hopefully this doesn't mess up the tourney at all. What happened to last Wednesday's cut off on new rules/stipulations/times? Oh well, see you in 3 1/2 hours...

jv3x3

Smash Champion
frickin a...

My partner decided he cant make it now, like 20 minutes b4 i leave. So I am in a dire need of a partner, big time. Whoever is the best person i can get i will take, post up now if you are interested. Without coming off like 2 much of a pric, if you are good you might wanna consider teaming with me and ditching your partner (providing he isnt better than me), as we would have a good shot ay winning. And i am pretty sure there will be someone else for him to team up with. Someone anyone, pleaaassseeee

Lipton, any chance you get make 1. I will drive you, post quick

SS, what about your samus friend?

P.S. Lipton, 1 was set wends. Just got switched from apartment to club house.

P.S. 2, x30984092iu, ill comment on your stuff next week when i get a chance

P.S. 3 Lipton, if you are interested, since i am leaving and driving by your place call me. I pmed you my cell, i will be by your place in like 15 minutes. So hopefully you can get ahold of me b4 that.

Qinopio

Smash Journeyman
This is the sucky teammate. I have this stupid paper that's half my grade for this stupid class and I have to write it.

jv3x3 is really good, anyone who can ought to team with him.

****, I can't believe I'm missing this thing.

FierceMelee019

Smash Cadet
hey, some of my crew cant go now...and now there's only the three of us left who still need to go.

however, we dont have a ride :-(

one of the guys has to work..and for some reason he cant take a sick day...=P

and the other guys who were gonna drive us cant go because their parents decided that they didnt want them gambling O_O

anyway, if one of you guys can hook us up, thatd be great. if not, thats certainly understandable.

we live in farmington hills, bout 30 mins from waterford.

DBGTSSJ4FoxMc

Smash Cadet
Nice tourney everyone!! was very fun :) cant wait till next one...i gotta train more with fox :D ...thx for such a rush:p

Needle of Juntah

Smash Champion
Great time

All i can say is WTF :) who are those guys from Ohio. They kicked some major *** tonight, it was unreal. Whats their smash boards name. Also i saw somone with a video camera, tapeing a match that i had with FUSE, I severly got my *** handed to me and was wondering if there was a place to get ahold of this video or if somone was gonna make it available. Had a great time though tonight Joe V i could seriously play you all night, if i had brung my car i would have too ^^

David Kirk

Smash Ace
Ha, you are lucky you did not have to play the rest of Ohio. Not to say that Fuse and Smog are not Ohio's pride, because they are. Anyway, how did they do in this? I know they tore up FoB, and I am hoping that they showed Ohio's power in this too.

jv3x3

Smash Champion
real quick...

Results

1 on 1
1. Fuse
2. Smog
3. Jv3x3
4. Nar (sp?)

Teams
1. Fuse+Smog
2. jv3x3+darren
3. Dave C+Dave R

Had around 30 people. although some didnt play both teams and singles. Hope everyone had fun and thanks for coming out. Thanks to Adam for putting together the shindig and finding a pretty nice place for a reasonable price. Thanks to felix for helping with brackets for a lil. Thanks to Darren for being my partner, since i had none going into the thing. We didnt do bad for never having played 2gether b4.

Some pretty solid MI people there though taking into account most had no prior tourney experience. With more tourneys/practice MI could be a force. Just gotta kinda a late start.

Asmog

Smash Apprentice
smog - 6 rounds won, fuse 7 rounds won....dam you fuse, dam you! Here and fob, arrr, i'll get you next time.

A.Hills.Finest

Smash Journeyman
yo

Just wanna give major props too all the people who were there. I saw lots of talent. Smog and Fuse....Keep on ownin man,you've inspired me..... I'll be playin like that with falcon soon too :) props too J.V also , I almost had 3rd place lol . Good stuff everyone, hope to play with yall more real soon. Forgot, props to SuperSayin for hookin it all up, it was real fun bro.

lata. -Nar

Liptonbuddy

Smash Lord
Why'd I have to draw Smog first! AHHH! Oh well, it was good playing him. I went into the match knowing I was probably going to get killed, even though the first match on Rainbow Cruise was close (he was probably just toying with me with his Zelda). Then I figured I'd try Sheik who I haven't played with much, and it showed. I think instead of an up+B I pulled out the whip and fell to my death. It was classic Liptonbuddy screw ups!

I was also the one who had the video camera. I was only able to get 2 matches with FUSE in them, because after my dumbs friends lost as well, they wanted to leave. I wanted to stay to tape matches, but they were both bitter, and wanted to go. I couldn't do anything because I didn't drive (even though I just read now jv3x3 was passing by my house or something, doh!).

I accomplished what I set out to do, though, which was cool. The things I wanted to do was fight someone better than me, and then open my friends eyes to the fact that we're decent at the game, but not really good, like they thought. My one friend lost first round to a guy playing Pichu! He was so pissed, so I laughed at him alot on the way back, and made him more pissed. That'll teach him to ruin my fun! MWUHAHAHA!!! ****, I wish I got to tape more matches! That really sucks I had to leave after first round.

All in all, still fun as ****, though. I'm already looking forward to the next tourney! Take it easy guys!

P.S. Oh yeah, even though I only have 2 matches taped of the same set, I'll get them on MY AIM name as soon as possible. Fuse's Captain Falcon I beleive, verses one of the Auburn Hills guy's Sheik. Very exciting! hehehehe

Y.Linkpwnsurmom

Smash Journeyman
Yea man, this tourny rocked! It was my first one and is definitly not my last. I can't believe all the skill I saw there , Smog and Fuse was like o.o;; wow! I got to play fuse in a few friendlys, he smacked me everyone but I think I did ok. I got to play jxjv3 to and did pretty good agenst his Gdorf, then he chose Marth and I got totaled. And my match agenst Mario, I never did something so nerve wreaking in all my life! My shmexy kick just would not work! My match agent peach I learned my Roy wasnt nearly up to par as I needed it to be, cause I got pwned so I stuck with Y.Link the rest of the time. All in all it was defenitly worth it to go and thanks to jxjv3 and supersayen for putting it all tougher. The one thing I'm wondering is whered that guy who was gonna order pizza go? I was hungry...

David Kirk

Smash Ace
I recall Jv3x3 saying something about being Ohio's slayer earlier in this topic...ha! I am glad Ohio took first in teams, and first and seecond in singles. Do not underestimate Ohio.

frupichu

Smash Rookie
Man, the tourney was great!! I've learned a couple of new tricks, because of it. I fought against alot of good players. I never thought so many good players were out there. Man, I can't get over how good SMOG was. I mean, the first round, I did fairly well against him, considering I was only using Pichu, with both of us to our last men, but couldn't hang in there 'cause his % was very low and mine was high. Second round, I couldn't even beat him once, mainly (i believe) cause I picked Final Destination. I never seen anyone play so excellently before.

Next tourney, me and my Pichu will be much stronger, I GUARANTEE IT!!

jv3x3

Smash Champion
Originally posted by David Kirk
I recall Jv3x3 saying something about being Ohio's slayer earlier in this topic...ha! I am glad Ohio took first in teams, and first and seecond in singles. Do not underestimate Ohio.
Word, i lost. But dont talk $hit unless it if for yourself. Anyone who beats me regardless of what i thought, i give respect 2.

I hope smog and fuse, as well as some other midwest people can make it in december if something goes down.

Also, I hope anyone that lost soundly doesnt get discouraged rather it makes them wanna strive to get better. I mean b4 i started going to tourneys, i was no where near where i am now. And im sure the same can be said for virtually all good players.

phatassesrock

Smash Apprentice
Had a great time at my first tourney. At least two of the waterford people... me and dave got on the results list (a lowly 3rd). I am happy for that. I wish I didnt have to fight defensive shiek, whoever that was (you know who you are). Cause you slaughtered me. Fuse thanks for giving me all that practice, I like to think that I put up a decent fight with princess. I learned a lot by playing with you, mainly to be really ******* fast. Overall it went really smooth and it was good that I brought my TV. Thanks for the good times supersayin. We will play this week sometime, considering its my last week in watertucky. Lata guys. And all you guys from detroit and auburn hills, we gotta get together to smash it up soon.

phatassesrock

Smash Apprentice
PS..... jv3x3 thanks for all your help and thanks for playing me, that was totally intense. Just never play me on fountain of dreams again... take care man. Hope you made it back to SC okay.

jv3x3

Smash Champion
Originally posted by phatassesrock
PS..... jv3x3 thanks for all your help and thanks for playing me, that was totally intense. Just never play me on fountain of dreams again... take care man. Hope you made it back to SC okay.
lol, yeah gannon is a work in progress.... ill think i will stick with fd with him vs. you for now. Things seemed to go well there.

But anyway, you guys did well for your first tourney. Good to play ya, tell dave c sorry he had to get me first round.

Also, since i will be coming back for x-mas I was thinking of doing a smashfest at my place. Set up a few tvs and some cubes and just do friendly singles and teams. It would be good practice for everyone for that upcoming tourney (providing it goes down). You guys are welcome to come. Same with some of you other people that were at the tourney.

Also, i will put this out now, im gonna need a partner i think for that upcoming tourney. So if you are interested speak up. I would like someone that would be willing to come to the smashfest so we can get some practice team games in and i can work with you a little with whoever you play.

Needle of Juntah,
Ditto that, as long as i have some decent comp. i can play this game for hours on end.

Nar,
lol almost third. You didnt win a match either set we played, i dont think i even ever got to my last stock. lol, anyway im just playing man. If you wanna hit me up on aim sometime i got some ideas that might help you some. I can see you becoming a force though.

EOF,
Melo and co didnt do bad. I know they were around for awhile in teams, and i think one or two people from there crew were top 10. I really didnt get many matches in with them, so past that its hard for me to say.

Liptonbuddy,
lol, man if you guys are gonna leave you should tell someone. We waited for you guys for around 45 minutes before we bumped you out. Other then that, glad you opened your friends eyes, and hope you get some solid practice in and come back strong next time.

TheGreatEvilKing

Smash Cadet
OMG

That was the most freakin awesome thing ever! Even though I didn't win, I still had a blast. Thanks Supersaiyan for throwing this together and finding a place for me to chill whilst I was there. Thanks jv3x3 for doubling up with me and kicking some ***! I think I fared decently, considering my cirumstances of having no viable competition around here and working 50+ hours a week #_# The only regret I have is not picking up a Sheik killer -_-

Anyhow, I am going to throw together one of my own tournaments over here in the Grand Rapids area, either during Spring Break or else early summer, depending on what works best for most people. I will start a thread as soon as I know for sure on the location (and I'm gonna be on top of my ****, not change it every other day, unlike some people ^_~) But, I should know by next week, if not sooner, on my locale. I hope that everyone who made it to this one is encouraged to come over here for mine! ^_^

Smog and Fuse, I more than encourage you guys to show up at this one as well. I'd like another stab at taking you guys out, as I'm sure do most of the rest of us. ^_^ That's about all I've got to say about it for now, but keep a watch for my thread about my tourny.

S

SUPERSAYIN

Well, that was that, thanks for eberyone who showed up I was really happy with the turnout I had no idea Michigan was hiding all of those great smash players.

I hda a blast with both tournaments thanks to everyone for behaving yourselves adn not breaking anything the place didnt even get dirty.

Beleive me when I tell you that I didnt think i was going to need as much training as im about to put myself through but I ned my revenge, I cant beleive I got smoked by so many dudes, I am extending a hand of major props and respect to everyone who wasted me, Fuse looking like a friggen samurai, on cut one kill brotha aint that the truth, Smog destroyed me with his Roy my first match I was freakin honored though, Jv3x3 Im not even going to comment on how much I think youve progressed, your Gannon is going down though, revenge is may be a dish best served cold but your death will be burning hot (that was so gay im sorry), ans I beleive i was takin out by Nar and the sheik from auburn hills, both awesome players. And Great Evil King, affectionately refferd to as West-Side, dont think your Gannon will stand a chance either next time you know our matches were way to close to talk trash, and taking me out with a trick you learned from me, that stings man, it really does. Those were only a few of the upcomign skills i saw come out of this tournament, good luck to everyone and hope to see you at the Farmington tourney and the smashfest before hand.

My defeat will only be fuel for the trainign I have ahead of me, ill see you all in December.

DBGTSSJ4FoxMc

Smash Cadet
Who here did i vs. in the tourney...i was fox and he was falco...we didnt play that serious all we did for most of the match and shoot lasers and refelect them back anf forth a bunch and times...was great fun :) but after 5min of that we played he won 1 than i won 1 and final round we continued to reflect ahh was so fun and relaxed match...i ended up winning because when he went to spike he missed and plumpeted to the bottem..but if you see this and reconize that battle please post that you were my oppenent =D

We really need to have another reflect battle :rolleyes:

smasher1001

Smash Journeyman
Originally posted by Y.Linkpwnsurmom
Yea man, this tourny rocked! It was my first one and is definitly not my last. I can't believe all the skill I saw there , Smog and Fuse was like o.o;; wow! I got to play fuse in a few friendlys, he smacked me everyone but I think I did ok. I got to play jxjv3 to and did pretty good agenst his Gdorf, then he chose Marth and I got totaled. And my match agenst Mario, I never did something so nerve wreaking in all my life! My shmexy kick just would not work! My match agent peach I learned my Roy wasnt nearly up to par as I needed it to be, cause I got pwned so I stuck with Y.Link the rest of the time. All in all it was defenitly worth it to go and thanks to jxjv3 and supersayen for putting it all tougher. The one thing I'm wondering is whered that guy who was gonna order pizza go? I was hungry...

heh,i was the mario u were fightin i think, and you were pretty dam hard yourself,kept avoiding 3/4ths of my atts.man,i knew i prob wouldnt win but dang i need to train against peops who use sheiks;) well,anyhoo great tourny,thx for settin this all up supersayin an every1 else,ill prob be going to any other tournies that pop up near me,so till then ill be training(well,with what i can,i dont exactly know almost anyone with the skill u guys got)

Y.Linkpwnsurmom

Smash Journeyman
Yo man, your Mario was great, that match was the pinnacle of all my super smash years, I look forward to a rematch in farmington hills, you'll come right?

And Ryan, are you comming, I need a partner again, and if we work at it we could be a very good team.

And Jxjv3 whats the deal with this practice setion? I wouldn't mind comming if I could talk my parents into it, and vsing you again would be a great honor. I hope to see you all at farmington hills.

Top Bottom