• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"The Metropolis Of Fourside" Ness Stage Discussion.

BoxedOccaBerrys

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BoXeDOccaBerrys
(Thanks for the permission @Yink )

Welcome to this terrible thread I thought should be made, this thread should be strictly used for discussing Ness' best and worst stages. I'll update depending on what the people want, ask about a stage, and I'll keep it in mind.

Ranking the stages will be the same as ranking a matchup.
100:00
90:10
Et cetera, et cetera.

Current point of discussion: Final Destination or any Omega Stage.

Discuss in the comments. :ness:

Last edited:

Strider755

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ike755
3DS FC
1220-7045-0584
Ness generally does better when there are fewer platforms. Too many platforms can get in the way of a PK Thunder or Flash, or even interfere with Ness' aerial spacing.

I'd say Ness' 2 best stages are FD and Smashville, with Duck Hunt or Town & City as a possible #3.

Avoid Lylat Cruise and Dreamland 64 at all costs. Lylat's stupid edge movements and Dreamland's tree can really mess with your recovery.

BoxedOccaBerrys

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BoXeDOccaBerrys
I personally choose FD as my first stage when I play ness. I generally find it much better than Battlefield/Miiverse. Although I think Back-Throw kills easier on stages with platforms, mainly because it sends them at an upward angle(?)
But yeah, FD and Smashville are my personal favorites with Ness.

(take everything I say with a grain of salt, since I suck at everything. :ness:)

Lochy

Smash Ace
NNID
Lochinator
Final Destination is by far his best stage.
No platforms to mess with his recovery or aerials
Ness has a lot of room to move around. Ness does not do well on confined stages tbh.

I think bad MUs like Rosa, Sonic, Sheik, etc should always be played on FD because it allows Ness to not approach if he so chooses and gives him room to space his aerials.

Snapping to the ledge by bouncing off the wall with pkt is not much of an issue either.

Ness can also (at ledge) twirl pkt right below him to send him straight up. (This can be done on practically any legal stage. I just wanted to point it out.

I think this stage is still good vs matchups we obviously win but then the opposing player can camp. So I would say going to smashville is more optimal in matchups we obviously win.

Bottom line: FD gives Ness room and no platforms to mess him up.
He can play passive if needed.

100/100

jcEmblem

Smash Rookie
NNID
Saturns.FM
3DS FC
4356-0536-9575
Final Destination is by far his best stage.

I think bad MUs like Rosa, Sonic, Sheik, etc should always be played on FD because it allows Ness to not approach if he so chooses and gives him room to space his aerials.
I think one problem vs Sheik on FD is getting needle camped. I think Void counterpicked FOW to FD at Genesis for this reason.

I feel that a lot of stages are match up dependent because Ness doesn't suffer too hard from most stages.

Earthboundy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Earthboundy
3DS FC
0173-1290-2436
I used to LOVE FD and I still do. But I do think both animal crossing stages are better. Smashville is smaller and has the platforms for extending combos and the insane forward throw kill. Town and City's small size and ceiling is great for quick kills with Ness excels at. I also don't mind dreamland much for the same reasons as TaC.

Does anyone else loathe battlefield for Ness? Is it me or is he stage HUGE and something about the ledges and the platforms. I mean I always ban Lylat so I end up going there a lot.

jcEmblem

Smash Rookie
NNID
Saturns.FM
3DS FC
4356-0536-9575
Does anyone else loathe battlefield for Ness? Is it me or is he stage HUGE and something about the ledges and the platforms. I mean I always ban Lylat so I end up going there a lot.
Yeah now that I think about it, whenever I go to battlefield, it always feels awkward to land. Especially against characters with a lot of platform pressure.
This is probably because of Ness is so floaty and his landing options are not the best.

I don't think I would EVER go to BF against a heavy. They cover so much space and can catch you on pretty much the entire platform. Also the big blastzone makes it way harder to kill those fatties.

BoxedOccaBerrys

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BoXeDOccaBerrys
I ALWAYS ban lylat.

I down air cancel a lot on BF, I do not know why yet I do.
Smashville is one of my favorite stages as ness, I LOVE PK Fire into Forward Smash on that stage.

ZioSkills

Smash Rookie
NNID
cutieskills
Smashville could net some early kills if you forward throw someone on the platform when its near the blast zone

Uffe

Smash Hero
My only gripe with Battlefield is that there are times when Ness doesn't slide up and snap onto the ledge, but instead, bumped the lower part of the ledge and doesn't allow a wallbounce. The only time I can see platforms being an issue for Ness is when his opponent is a character who does better on stages with platforms. Otherwise, it allows for Ness to use PK Thunder without worrying so much about being punished, since the platforms barricade him from certain attacks. Take Yoshi, for example. He can't butt stomp you if you're harassing him with PK Thunder, and the eggs generally hit the platforms, so he's kind of forced to approach. Take Yoshi to Final Destination, and he seems to do better there. Also, the platforms provide different options of stage recovery if you're trying to avoid being sharked, unlike stages without platforms.

yoshi8984

Smash Lord
NNID
TimmyTendo
Switch FC
SW-6176-0583-0131
FD? Hm...

- PKT2 Rebound works on either side
- No interference with combos or PKT
- Good for campy characters (but the only one I'd legit ban this against is Diddy cause banana and landing is hard and maybe Sheik/Sonic, I guess vs Yoshi/Tink/Link/DHD and those I previously mentioned it's worth striking)
- After using your jump or PKT2 in midair, landing can be punished fairly easily here compared to other areas

Omegas on the other hand I'm slightly less a fan of due to:
- Walled Omegas don't let you PKT2 rebound off the left
- Some Omegas have grass (Mushroom Kingdom, Mario Galaxy, etc.) so PKT2 distance gets cut VERY short
- Omegas that tend to just be a floating platform (like Norfair) also don't give you the chance to Thunder rebound

But overall, I'd rate FD an 8.5/10.

XCounter

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CrossCounter
3DS FC
2981-7233-0181
The only problems I find with FD are the length of the stage (and the flat stage itself) leaves us pretty susceptible to projectile camping and the lack of platforms can make it harder to land against characters that can juggle us. Otherwise, the lack of platforms is a benefit in my opinion since there's nothing to get in the way of PKT setups or interfere with combos, and it gives characters less ways to land against us. I'd say it's our best stage after Smashville and potentially Town & City (can't decide which of the two is better).

Last edited:

jcEmblem

Smash Rookie
NNID
Saturns.FM
3DS FC
4356-0536-9575
What about Ness' platform pressure?

How would you pick a stage against someone with good platform pressure and how does head's shape up against theirs?

I'm not so sure if Ness is good at pressuring platforms. It seems like the only move that can exert hard pressure is up air and it's not nearly as ranged as Falcons up air, for example.

Top Bottom