• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Melee Roster Rebooted (Again)

After all your hard work, Super Smash Bros. 64 becomes one of the system's best selling games. Now, Nintendo and many fans around the world are waiting for a sequel on Nintendo's newest home console: The GameCube. The year is 2000.

Rules
  • 26 characters is the limit. (You can have less than 26).​
  • You must included the original eight starter characters in your roster: :4mario:,:4dk:,:4link:,:4samus:,:4yoshi:,:4kirby:,:4fox:, and :4pikachu:.​
  • These characters::4luigi:,:4falcon:,:4ness:, and :4jigglypuff:, don't have to be in your roster. But, I think you should add them.​
  • To have a character that wasn't in Melee (:4wario2:,:4dedede:,:4diddy:,:4charizard:,etc) you have to cut 2 clone characters or simply replace an original character . Keep in mind how you want to include :4ganondorf:.​
  • No third party characters (:4sonic:,:4megaman:,:4cloud:,:4pacman:,etc).​
  • No fourth party characters (Goku, Shrek,Superman,etc).​
  • No characters from the future (:4shulk:,:4wiifit:,:4darkpit:,:4bayonetta:,etc).​
  • Explain why you picked these characters.​

My roster:
Super Mario
:4mario:
:4luigi:
:4bowser:
:4peach:
Donkey Kong
:4dk:
:4diddy:
(Replaces Young Link and Roy)
The Legend of Zelda
:4link:
:4zelda:
/ :4sheik:
:4ganondorf:w/ unique moveset (Replaces Falco and Falcondorf)
Metroid
:4samus:
Yoshi's Island
:4yoshi:
Kirby
:4kirby:
:4dedede:
(Replaces Dr.Mario and Pichu)
Star Fox
:4fox:
Pokemon
:4pikachu:
:4jigglypuff:
:4mewtwo:
:4charizard:
F-Zero
:4falcon:
Mother
:4ness:
Other series
:4wario2:
:4marth:
:4gaw:
:popo:

Ayumi Tachibana

Cuts:
:4feroy:
:younglinkmelee:
:4falco:
Falcondorf
:4drmario:
:pichumelee:

Reasons:
  • Wario,King Dedede, and Diddy Kong were all popular characters in the Smash 2 poll, and are Nintendo All-Stars.
  • Ganondorf, was popular in the Smash 2 poll, and he deserves a lot more respect in his moveset than some slow,powerful Falcon clone with dark attacks.
  • Charizard is one of the Pokemon series' most well liked characters, and the series is big enough for four characters.
  • Ayumi Tachibana is from the Famciom Tantei Club series; a franchise that needs a lot of attention and is a Japan only series like Fire Emblem, is a female character; something this roster was lacking, and could be the character no one expected.
If you haven't seen this Smash 2 poll: http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/03/23/if-there-were-a-smash-2-poll/

Last edited by a moderator:
NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Super Mario:

:mariomelee::luigimelee::bowsermelee::peachmelee::yoshimelee:

Donkey Kong:
:dkmelee::diddy:King K.Rool

Legend of Zelda
:linkmelee::zeldamelee::sheikmelee::ganondorfmelee:

Metroid

:samusmelee: Ridley

Star Fox
:foxmelee::falcomelee::wolf:

Kirby
:kirbymelee::metaknight:

Pokemon
:pikachumelee::jigglypuffmelee::mewtwomelee::charizard:

Earthbound
:nessmelee:

F-Zero
:falconmelee:

Fire Emblem
:marthmelee:

Other
:icsmelee::gawmelee:

The Cuts:

:younglinkmelee: - Doesn't have enough difference to really stand out on his own. Absorbed into Link's moveset, making room for Charizard.

:drmario: - The Good Doctor may have been somewhat different to Mario in playstyle, but he's just not different enough to cut it for me. Mario gains the buffed strength of the Good Doctor, and so makes way for Ridley.

:pichumelee: - Has no real redeeming value, and just serves as filler to blow up the roster. Replaced by King K.Rool and Meta Knight.

:roymelee: - Absorbed into Marth's moveset. Makes room for Wolf as a semi-clone and Diddy.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
You really think Ridley takes as much development time as Dr.Mario?

I think you do not get the point of the thread...

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Mario:
:mariomelee::luigimelee::peachmelee::bowsermelee::yoshimelee:

Mario Associated:
:dkmelee::warioc:

Zelda:
:linkmelee::zeldamelee::ganondorfmelee:(Non Clone)

Pokemon:
:pikachumelee::4charizard::mewtwomelee::jigglypuffmelee:

Kirby:
:kirbymelee::4dedede:

Other:
:falconmelee::marthmelee::samusmelee::nessmelee::foxmelee::gawmelee: And Banjo Kazooie. If that isn't OK, then I'm not sure who else I'd add. Maybe Little Mac.

23 characters total.

Mario:
:mariomelee::luigimelee::peachmelee::bowsermelee::yoshimelee:

Mario Associated:
:dkmelee::warioc:

Zelda:
:linkmelee::zeldamelee::ganondorfmelee:(Non Clone)

Pokemon:
:pikachumelee::4charizard::mewtwomelee::jigglypuffmelee:

Kirby:
:kirbymelee::4dedede:

Other:
:falconmelee::marthmelee::samusmelee::nessmelee::foxmelee::gawmelee: And Banjo Kazooie. If that isn't OK, then I'm not sure who else I'd add. Maybe Little Mac.

23 characters total.
At this time in Melee's development, Rare would have been owned by Microsoft. So, sadly, Banjo Kazooie couldn't join.
I do like the inclusion of :4littlemac:, I wonder how gamers would have reacted back in 2001. Nice list.

C_Mill24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C-Mill24
3DS FC
3609-1632-1621
Mario:
:mariomelee::luigimelee::peachmelee::bowsermelee:

Donkey Kong:
:dkmelee::diddy:

Yoshi:
:yoshimelee:

Wario:
:warioc:

Legend of Zelda:
:linkmelee::zeldamelee::ganondorfmelee::sheikmelee:

Kirby:
:kirbymelee::dedede:

Pokemon:
:pikachumelee::jigglypuffmelee::mewtwomelee:

Star Fox:
:foxmelee::falcomelee:

Single character franchises:
:falconmelee::samusmelee::gawmelee::icsmelee:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Additions:

Banjo & Kazooie (Banjo-Kazooie series): Rare at the time was a second party developer with Nintendo, before the former was purchased by Microsoft, and was considered for Smash beforehand, but never made the cut. His moves would be inspired by his abilities in Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie with some slight improvisation by the moveset developers. BK would be a duo with tools that allowed them to attack from a distance and up close; with Kazooie's ability to fire eggs (neutral special) and pecking at enemies (various moves) to deal quick, piercing damage. Banjo would also perform attacks as well, such as swiping with his paws(f-tilt or dash attack) or swinging his backpack around (n-air). Special moveset has high utility:

Concept moveset:
Neutral Special: Egg Shot
Kazooie fires egg projectiles out of her beak as long as the special input is held down. Banjo and Kazooie will stay in place as the projectiles are fired out, but can turn around to fire projectiles in that direction

Side Special: Egg Lay
Banjo turns around while Kazooie fire eggs out of her rear end; how many eggs are layed depends on how long the special input is held, with a maximum of three eggs being layed. The eggs bounce around erratically and damage opponents that come in contact with them. The eggs dissipate when they make contact with an opponent or object with a hurtbox.

Up Special: Flight
Kazooie lifts Banjo up into the air for a far vertical distance as a recovery move. While the duo could fly in their games, they would have to compensate for the limitations that Melee would have at the time.

Down Special: Wonderwing
Kazooie covers Banjo's face with her wings and are granted super armor. They can walk around slowly and soak up damage to help them deal with camping, but the super armor fails if they are at a high damage, and if the move is abused for long periods of time.

May add more additions at some point
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cuts:
:drmario::pichumelee::roymelee::younglinkmelee:
All remaining clones as they are generally unnecessary, despite not having a problem with them.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I thought Rare was acquired by Microsoft in 2002 though. Am I just mistaken or something?

:094:
You're right.

Rare was still a Nintendo property, just one hard to work with as the buyout was starting to become apparent.

Also, people don't understand the rules, unless most of these suggestions are clones.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
The obvious choices first...

:mariomelee::dkmelee::linkmelee::samusmelee::yoshimelee::kirbymelee::foxmelee::pikachumelee::luigimelee::nessmelee::falconmelee::jigglypuffmelee:

Gotta keep the original 12 intact y'know? As for who I would add already from Melee...

:marthmelee::peachmelee::zeldamelee::bowsermelee:: Obviously these 4 would stay given how iconic they are to their series though I would drop :sheikmelee:personally to add more room to the roster. Sry ppl.

:ganondorfmelee:: Stays in the roster but is an original character with an OoT inspired moveset and also makes use of the sword he's shown using in his victory pose. Decloned :ganondorfmelee: comes at the expense of :pichumelee: & Cloned :ganondorfmelee:

:mewtwomelee:: Stays in the game because of his popularity and icon status in his series.

:icsmelee:: Taking :icsmelee: over :gawmelee: as a retro rep because I don't want too many retro reps in this roster. Especially with the addition I have.

Now, as for the characters not from Melee I would add...

:warioc:: Should be expected in this roster. He's iconic from the Mario series and has his own series that's still active at the time. His moveset would be inspired by the Wario Land games instead of the WarioWare games of course. :warioc: gets in at the expense of :roymelee: and :younglinkmelee:.

K. Rool: Was the main villain of every DKC game along with DK64 that was new when Melee came out meaning he would be an ideal addition to the roster. One can argue for Diddy though K. Rool has a much more unique appearance and his moveset potential is more broader IMO. Not to mention he's another villain which the game needs. K. Rool gets in the game at the expense of :falcomelee: and :drmario:

Isaac: He would be a Roy type of deal (coming in around the same time that his game comes out) only that he's coming in as a rep of a series that would absolutely benefit from having the Smash exposure and is a series that's one of the best JRPG's out there. Additionally, the moveset Isaac can have is virtually endless with all the possibilities that could be drawn from his game meaning he would easily be the most unique and fun characters to play in the game. Isaac gets in the game at the expense of :sheikmelee:.

Ayumi Tachibana: I'll admit straight up that I don't know much about the series Ayumi comes from though I think she would be a pretty good addition to the roster that almost doesn't fit in with the cast like :snake: in Brawl which makes her addition that much better. Her series is a detective sort of series so there's a lot of moveset potential you can have for the character. Ayumi gets in the game at the expense of :gawmelee:.

So there you have it, the final roster count is 23. Total amount of cut characters is 8 (:drmario:, Cloned :ganondorfmelee:, :falcomelee:, :younglinkmelee:, :pichumelee:, :roymelee:, :sheikmelee:, and :gawmelee:). :drmario:, :roymelee:, and :falcomelee: become alts with their properties given to their originators and Ninten, Daisy, and Felix all become alts of :nessmelee:, :peachmelee:, and Isaac respectively.

:roymelee:, :drmario:, :falcomelee:, and possibly other alts in this game get in Brawl because people enjoy their presence in Melee and want to see them be playable in Brawl. :roymelee:especially who would have a game coming soon that would revive the FE franchise meaning he would become playable in Brawl.

So the roster looks like this now...

Sorry for the picture looking weird. Keep in mind that their were some portraits I couldn't find like an OoT Zelda hence looking for something similar.

Blue: Starter Character
Red: Unlockable
Yellow: Alt

I thought Rare was acquired by Microsoft in 2002 though. Am I just mistaken or something?

:094:
You're right.

Rare was still a Nintendo property, just one hard to work with as the buyout was starting to become apparent.

Also, people don't understand the rules, unless most of these suggestions are clones.
Rare bought Microsoft in 2002, my information was incorrect. So Banjo & Kazooie can be in your rosters. :grin:
(Now watch as everyone puts them in their rosters...)

Here's mine:

Wario replaces Dr. Mario and Roy
King K. Rool replaces Sheik
Ganondorf replaces Falcondorf and Young Link
King Dedede replaces Falco and Pichu

Luigi, Wario, K. Rool, Ganondorf, Dedede, Mr. Game & Watch, Jigglypuff and Mewtwo are unlockable characters.

23 characters total.

Explanations:

Dedede and K. Rool are among Nintendo's most iconic villains, and I felt both DK and Kirby should have two characters.

Wario was one of most requested characters for Melee.

Ganondorf deserves better than a cloned moveset.

Last edited:

Dan

Smash Lord
You really think Ridley takes as much development time as Dr.Mario?

I think you do not get the point of the thread...
To be fair, even as a note for the OP, the ratio of clones to an original character is like 20:1. Sakurai has said time and time again that if they cut all the clones from Melee there still wouldn't be enough room for an original character.

I think they wanted B&K in Melee but they weren't able to join due to "adult circumstances".

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
True, B&K should be under the same criteria as third party characters here since Sakurai noted that his inclusion wouldn't work out for this game.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Returnees of Smash Bros 64.:

:mariomelee::dkmelee::linkmelee::kirbymelee::pikachumelee::yoshimelee::foxmelee::samusmelee::falconmelee::nessmelee::luigimelee:

Reasoning:

I break the "holy rule" of keeping the Original 12 immediately, and cut off :jigglypuffmelee: from the roster. Yes, Melee was her time to shine but she literally got no love afterwards, and is just not as big as a name as the other Pokémon from the Brawl and Smash 4 rosters. Her lasting popularity wasn't too amazing, and she was always a joke character in 64 anyway.

Newcomers from Melee who can stay:

:mewtwomelee::bowsermelee::peachmelee::marthmelee::zeldamelee::ganondorfmelee:*

:ganondorfmelee:* Ganondorf gets decloned and a "mostly" original moveset, still taking inspiration as a heavier, slower :falconmelee:. Essentially a semi-clone, so to keep it fair, he's much like :4ganondorf: but with Down and Side B from Melee combined with Smash 4 Dorf's Custom Side B 3, a floatier and overall better Up B for recovery (using the same animation), and Neutral B is like an upgraded version of Custom B 3 with somewhat more range. Besides these Special Moves, :ganondorfmelee: retains his old moveset, he just gets more fleshed out. Not fully unique, counts as half an unique character addition. Yes I can do this, I made the original thread :D

Reasoning:

These characters where all heavy popular additions, you could argue that everyone else was basically Sakurai being Sakurai. The few characters left here where massively requested, and Sakurai had better include them. I dismiss gimmicks and "unique factor" characters as :sheikmelee::icsmelee::gawmelee: from the roster to save massive development time.

I actually would like to get rid of :zeldamelee: to because of her useless overall character design... It would actually only seem fair if Jigglypuff is also gone. But yeah, Triforce and namesake of the series... If it was based on moveset alone, I'd chose :sheikmelee: over :zeldamelee:. However, we can't do that.

Clones are removed, and Ganondorf is massively tweaked but still takes inspiration a lot from :falconmelee:'s moveset. Speaking of movesets, I'd make sure more time investment gets done in :mewtwomelee:'s moveset and balancing, making sure he's not a crappy character. Basically, I'd make him Melee weight :4mewtwo: as he is in his current patch in Smash 4 but suit in Melee's envoirment.

Newcomers who made it into future installments:

:diddy::charizard::dedede::wolf:*:warioc:*

:wolf:* Like Ganondorf, he's not fully unique but gets more fleshed out Specials. Not fully Luigified, gets a watered down moveset from Brawl but with his same Specials. Most other atributes are taken from Fox, or other characters to save development time. He's got a similar stat distribution difference to Fox as Ganondorf has to C.Falcon. More or less a replacement for Falco, and according to sources, Wolf was considered before :falcomelee: anyway.

:warioc:* The other semi-clone of :mariomelee: that joins the battle, spiritually replacing :drmario:. Imagine this Wario as a heavier, slower, stronger version of :drmario: with unique Specials losely based on Mario's inspired by Wario Land. He keeps his traditional air speed, but no bike, bites or farts to be seen. Forward Smash is an unique move for Wario (even :pichumelee: had an unique U Smash, don't complain), everything else he pretty much copies from Mario. Half a character.

Reasoning:

:diddy:: Gets in with mostly his Brawl moveset except Down B due to no Banana item in Melee. Instead, he uses the Barrel Cannon item with Down B. No joke. Becomes a more rushdown orientated character with an aerial game strong as pre-patched Smash 4 Diddy (this works in Melee's enviorment, trust me). With characters as Sheik and Falco gone, we gotta keep the Top Tiers strong right? :awesome:
:charizard:: Replaces :jigglypuffmelee: basically due to being far more iconic and popular. Simple choice. More based on aerial combat. Side B is Dragon Rush. Down B is Fire Blast. He becomes less power orientated, more arial punishment based with some rushdown options if in advantage.
:dedede:: Gives us yet another heavy weight, and Sakurai was already planning on adding him anyway.

Really, am not sure how much space I now have left for characters. But this as a roster seems extremely reasonable.

To make it look less messy...

64::4mario::4luigi::4dk::4pikachu::4kirby::4fox::4link::4yoshi::4falcon::4samus::4ness:
Melee::4mewtwo::4marth::4ganondorf::4zelda::4bowser::4peach:
Brawl::4diddy::4charizard::4wario2::4dedede::wolf:

22 total characters, from which 4 semi-clone characters.

Newcomers never seen before:

# 1:KING K.ROOL:

From me, this of course goes without saying. Yeah, it turned out that Japan kinda loved DK64. Just weird he was never really voted that high in polls... But who cares? Rare characters got massively voted for, Donkey Kong was still the most important franchise Rare worked on for Nintendo, DKC was and still is a great classic. Boom. Justified!

If not justified and if I'd go for a less biased roster, I'd probably add :4pit: in.

#2: ISAAC:

Gets in because of the same reasoning characters in Smash 4 got in ; relevance and sales prospects. If :roymelee: could be added to promote a GBA game, so could Isaac. Golden Sun and Melee came out at a similar time, and The Lost Age was already in development.

I also think it was a reasonable idea to add :4olimar: during Melee, but I choose Isaac due to pure bias.

#3: BANJO-KAZOOIE:

We get this done and due to massive financial succes, Rare decides to stay with Nintendo and the universe gets it's grip back from the works of the devil.

And I'd pretty much spend the development time of the last character into balancing the movesets properly. If time if left somehow, I guess :4pit: can come in to play. Only because it could potentially lead to Kid Icarus games on the GBA, DS, GameCube or Wii. Guess that's also worth a shot.

D

Deleted member

Is there a thread for a rebooted 64 roster? Because I want to post a 64 one before I post my Melee one.
Edit: nevermind actually, my 64 roster is pretty much the same as it originally was

:mariomelee::dkmelee::linkmelee::samusmelee::yoshimelee::foxmelee::kirbymelee::pikachumelee::luigimelee::jigglypuffmelee::nessmelee::falconmelee: return from Smash 64.

Melee newcomers that would stay:
:peachmelee::bowsermelee::zeldamelee::falcomelee:(slightly decloned):mewtwomelee::icsmelee::marthmelee::gawmelee:

Characters not in melee:
:diddy::dedede:

New(?) characters:
:ganondorfmelee: with unique moveset

Cuts:
:younglinkmelee::pichumelee: for :diddy:
:drmario::roymelee: for :dedede:
:sheikmelee: to make:ganondorfmelee: unique
Falcondorf

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
From 64:

:mariomelee::dkmelee::linkmelee::samusmelee::yoshimelee::kirbymelee::foxmelee::pikachumelee::falconmelee::luigimelee::nessmelee:

Cuts:

:jigglypuffmelee:

Reason: Given my hatred for Puff at the time, it would've made sense

Newcomers:

:peachmelee::bowsermelee::zeldamelee::marthmelee::mewtwomelee::icsmelee: - These guys makes sense

:ganondorfmelee: - decloned

Future newcomers:

:charizard::dedede::diddy::wolf::4littlemac:/:4pit:

:pichumelee::younglinkmelee: for :charizard: Incredibly popular Pokemon and being one of Ash's powerful 'mons. Pokemon was hot back during the 1st and 2nd gen
:drmario::ganondorfmelee: for :ganondorfmelee: with decloned moveset. Let's face it: dorf deserved better than clone status
:jigglypuffmelee: for :dedede: Classic Kirby character who was pretty high on the list. Deserved it
:sheikmelee: for :diddy: Why not? During this time period, Diddy fell off the game radar for like 3-4 years. I love Sheik, but Diddy deserved it more
:falcomelee::roymelee: for :wolf: I love my Falco, but I felt Wolf should've been in the game to begin with and have Falco join in Brawl

:gawmelee: for :4littlemac:/:4pit:I felt that Mac would've been a better retro choice considering it's an All-Star game. If it wasn't for him, I would've picked Pit instead. Plus both seemed to represent the classic series better considering they are retros

Starters:

:4mario::4dk::4link::4samus::4yoshi::4kirby::4fox::4pikachu::4peach::4bowser::popo::4diddy:

Unlockables:

:4falcon::4luigi::4ness::4marth::4mewtwo::4zelda::4ganondorf::4dedede::wolf::4charizard::4littlemac:/:4pit:

Total: 23

Reason I moved Zelda to unlockable was to make it more surprising. Plus why not? They never really had a female unlockable character until Wii U/3DS (assuming one doesn't count Puff)

Rpggames77

Smash Journeyman
before I make mine I would like to know if luigi is considered as a clone

Rpggames77

Smash Journeyman
From 64: :mariomelee: :linkmelee::kirbymelee::pikachumelee::samusmelee::yoshimelee::dkmelee::falconmelee::nessmelee::foxmelee::jigglypuffmelee:

Melee Newcomers::zeldamelee::sheikmelee::peachmelee::marthmelee::falcomelee::bowsermelee::mewtwomelee::ganondorfmelee::icsmelee::roymelee:

Replacing :luigimelee: and :drmario: for:warioc: due to the fact that for the most part both luigi and dr Mario aren't very unqiue characters. Wario would be a heavy,villian in the early days of melee and would play more similar to warioland counter part instead of wario ware

Replacing :younglinkmelee: and :pichumelee: for :snake:(if possible) or :dedede: due to the fact that these clones JUST take up spots and why I choose snake if for 2 main reason, first he was more relevant for Nintendo during the gamecube era then wii. Second if he would be allowed in melee then he would be cut in brawl. If snake isn't on the okay list then King dedede, a popular villain and a great rep for the Kirby franchise. Another large villain is always great especially since he his both large yet failry floaty

Lastly replacing :gawmelee: would be Banjo and Kazooie(if possible) or :diddy:due to the fact that we already have an old school rep in the ice climbers, also with the fact that game and watch didn't bring any major game changes then let him have his time in brawl. But for Banjo and Kazooie since this was pre buy out this would have been the last time they were able to get in and would have been great to see a 3rd party such as themselves get jiggy with it. But if B&K aren't allowed then one of Rare's other characters, Diddy Kong. Due to his quick speed and high combo potential he would have fit in perfectly in the melee meta game.

So the roster would be :mariomelee::linkmelee::falconmelee::dkmelee::falcomelee::marthmelee::sheikmelee::samusmelee::zeldamelee::bowsermelee::yoshimelee::nessmelee::mewtwomelee::ganondorfmelee::icsmelee::jigglypuffmelee::kirbymelee::peachmelee::pikachumelee::roymelee: :warioc: (either :snake: or :dedede:) and (Either Banjo and Kazooie or :diddy:)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

From 64: :mariomelee: :linkmelee::kirbymelee::pikachumelee::samusmelee::yoshimelee::dkmelee::falconmelee::nessmelee::foxmelee::jigglypuffmelee:

Melee Newcomers::zeldamelee::sheikmelee::peachmelee::marthmelee::falcomelee::bowsermelee::mewtwomelee::ganondorfmelee::icsmelee::roymelee:

Replacing :luigimelee: and :drmario: for:warioc: due to the fact that for the most part both luigi and dr Mario aren't very unqiue characters. Wario would be a heavy,villian in the early days of melee and would play more similar to warioland counter part instead of wario ware

Replacing :younglinkmelee: and :pichumelee: for :snake:(if possible) or :dedede: due to the fact that these clones JUST take up spots and why I choose snake if for 2 main reason, first he was more relevant for Nintendo during the gamecube era then wii. Second if he would be allowed in melee then he would be cut in brawl. If snake isn't on the okay list then King dedede, a popular villain and a great rep for the Kirby franchise. Another large villain is always great especially since he his both large yet failry floaty

Lastly replacing :gawmelee: would be Banjo and Kazooie(if possible) or :diddy:due to the fact that we already have an old school rep in the ice climbers, also with the fact that game and watch didn't bring any major game changes then let him have his time in brawl. But for Banjo and Kazooie since this was pre buy out this would have been the last time they were able to get in and would have been great to see a 3rd party such as themselves get jiggy with it. But if B&K aren't allowed then one of Rare's other characters, Diddy Kong. Due to his quick speed and high combo potential he would have fit in perfectly in the melee meta game.

So the roster would be :mariomelee::linkmelee::falconmelee::dkmelee::falcomelee::marthmelee::sheikmelee::samusmelee::zeldamelee::bowsermelee::yoshimelee::nessmelee::mewtwomelee::ganondorfmelee::icsmelee::jigglypuffmelee::jigglypuffmelee::kirbymelee::peachmelee::pikachumelee::roymelee: :warioc: (either :snake: or :dedede:) and (Either Banjo and Kazooie or :diddy:)
I don't get your logic on cutting Luigi but keeping Roy and Falco. Luigi is way too important to get cut

Rpggames77

Smash Journeyman
I don't get your logic on cutting Luigi but keeping Roy and Falco. Luigi is eay too important to get cut
I was never a fan of luigi in any smash game, I understand that he is important but he feels too much like a clone to me, As for roy and falco its mainly being the fact that I am a falco main and felt that he fits better in melee then any other future smash to debut and I kept roy because he's our boy, and by that I mean even tho he is a clone I still love him and like his pm and wii u movesets. If he was never in melee he would never be in a smash game

D

Deleted member

I was never a fan of luigi in any smash game, I understand that he is important but he feels too much like a clone to me, As for roy and falco its mainly being the fact that I am a falco main and felt that he fits better in melee then any other future smash to debut and I kept roy because he's our boy, and by that I mean even tho he is a clone I still love him and like his pm and wii u movesets. If he was never in melee he would never be in a smash game
I still don't get your logic. Plus Luigi is more unique than Falco and Roy (coming from a Roy fan) and the fact you removed him only because you don't like him makes no sense.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Luigi is one of the most iconic characters in gaming, which none of the other clones can claim to be. Maaaaaaybe Ganondorf, but Luigi is still far and away above him.

Any roster without Luigi suffers for it, so if you really wanted to make the best roster possible, (which afaik is the point of the thread) and not just some personal dream roster, omitting Luigi is not a smart thing to do. Especially if Falco and Roy, the guy who had never been in a game before, are sticking around.

Plus by Melee he had already started to differentiate himself from Mario.

If I were just making some dream Melee roster I'd cut like half of it to make room for Skull Kid, Sneasel, two-month old Isaac, and the DK crew.

But hey, you do you.

Rpggames77

Smash Journeyman
I still don't get your logic. Plus Luigi is more unique than Falco and Roy (coming from a Roy fan) and the fact you removed him only because you don't like him makes no sense.
Luigi has a different side b,but what else"I don't play ro watch luigi so I actually don't know"? As for roy it would be under the same mindset sakurai was under, help promote a new game. Even thought falco's moves arent vastly different he still feels unique to me at least to be a character

Luigi is one of the most iconic characters in gaming, which none of the other clones can claim to be. Maaaaaaybe Ganondorf, but Luigi is still far and away above him.

Any roster without Luigi suffers for it, so if you really wanted to make the best roster possible, (which afaik is the point of the thread) and not just some personal dream roster, omitting Luigi is not a smart thing to do. Especially if Falco and Roy, the guy who had never been in a game before, are sticking around.

Plus by Melee he had already started to differentiate himself from Mario.

If I were just making some dream Melee roster I'd cut like half of it to make room for Skull Kid, Sneasel, two-month old Isaac, and the DK crew.

But hey, you do you.
It is not really a dream roster, this is just what I would do, all be it I would probally keep luigi if we didn't have the remove two clones or one unique character rule

D

Deleted member

It is not really a dream roster, this is just what I would do, all be it I would probally keep luigi if we didn't have the remove two clones or one unique character rule
Don't double post please.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Everyone knows how much of a Roy supporter I am but having Roy over Luigi is the dumbest thing ever, no offense. Luigi is arguably the most iconic Nintendo character after Mario (the only characters that could compete for that title are DK, Link, and Pika). He deserves his spot more so than 95% of the roster in the game.

Though in your defense, Roy is arguably the most important of the 6 clones (Doc, Dorf, Falco, YLink, Chu, and Roy). His series was in limbo after FE5 and him appearing in the game along with Marth was the reason why FE6 sold so well and gave FE a new lease on life. If I were only able to keep 1 clone out of the 6, it would be Roy.

Doc and Falco could easily be Brawl and Smash 4 newcomers, Dorf not being in Melee means we'll finally get the decloned moveset we always longed for in Brawl, YLink (despite me being a fan of the character) was doomed to never return in the series, and Pichu being a joke character puts him lower in the list. So yeah, Roy is easily the most important to include in Melee over the other 6 characters.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Decided to revise my roster.

Smash 64 veterans:
:4mario::4dk::4link::4samus::4yoshi::4kirby::4fox::4pikachu::4luigi::4ness::4falcon:*
Note: :4charizard: would get into Smash 64 over :4jigglypuff:. He would originallly be planned as a Poke ball mon, but would be chosen as a playable character as his model is already in the game. I did this because I just don't want to add him in Brawl, as the transformation gimmick would be dismissed. Not a Charizard fan at all but that would be his only chance of getting in.

Melee newcomers:
:4peach::4bowser::4zelda::4ganondorf::4mewtwo::popo::4marth::4gaw:*
Notes: :4sheik:has been removed as I wanted to dismiss the transformation gimmick, and I just feel that she doesn't deserve it that much tbh.
All clones have been removed, except for :4ganondorf:, who now has a unique moveset.

Now for new characters that weren't in melee (If there's enough development time left)
:4diddy::4dedede::wolf::4wario2:
All of these characters made it into brawl, and they'd play mostly like they did in that game, with the exception of Wario, who has a moveset based on Wario Land. If there's no development time left, they'd be scrapped and added in Brawl.

All of these characters would return in Brawl as there are less characters to bring back (If you don't count :4diddy::4dedede::wolf::4wario2:) and the rest of them made it into Brawl anyways.

The*insertage*reviewer

Smash Rookie
NNID
The12reviewee
It's been a while since I posted something on this site. Here is my first draft

All S64 characters return so: :mariomelee::dkmelee::linkmelee::samusmelee::yoshimelee::kirbymelee::foxmelee::pikachumelee::luigimelee::jigglypuffmelee::falconmelee::nessmelee:

From melee: :bowsermelee::peachmelee::ganondorfmelee::falcomelee::icsmelee::zeldamelee::sheikmelee::pichumelee::mewtwomelee::gawmelee::marthmelee::roymelee:

Because I'm only just about 14, I don't know how popular certain characters were in 2000, so from my knowledge the only character I would add is :dedede:because it doesn't feel right with only 1 Kirby rep so dedede sounds like a good 2nd rep

Reasonings:
:drmario::younglinkmelee: are cut because they don't feel unique enough from their design to be their own clone character

I'm keeping :ganondorfmelee::falcomelee::pichumelee::roymelee: because even though they are clones, I am fine with that because they feel unique enough with their graphical design and small changes with their moveset to give them their own character slot, and yes, I'm keeping pichu

Finally, I would make everyone that I'm keeping that was unlockable in melee, remaining unlockable, and I would make Ness and dedede unlockable as well

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
:mariomelee::luigimelee::dkmelee::linkmelee::samusmelee::yoshimelee::kirbymelee::foxmelee::pikachumelee::jigglypuffmelee::falconmelee::nessmelee::peachmelee::bowsermelee::zeldamelee::ganondorfmelee::mewtwomelee::marthmelee::icsmelee::warioc::charizard:Andy, Isaac

:drmario::ganondorfmelee:for Decloned :ganondorfmelee:
:falcomelee::younglinkmelee: for :warioc:
:pichumelee::roymelee: for :charizard:
:sheikmelee:for Isaac
:gawmelee: for Andy

Last edited:

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
64 Roster:
:ultmario:
:ultdk:
:ultlink:
:ultsamus:
:ultyoshi:
:ultkirby:
:ultfox:
:ultpikachu:

:ultluigi:
:ultness:
:ultfalcon:
:095: replaces :ultjigglypuff:
Melee Roster:
:ultmario:
:ultdk:
:ultlink:
:ultsamus:
:ultyoshi:
:ultkirby:
:ultfox:
:ultpikachu:
:ultluigi:
:ultness:
:ultfalcon:
:095:
:ultpeach:
:ultbowser:
:ulticeclimbers:
:ultmarth:
:ultwario:replaces:ultyounglink::ultpichu: (He would have his Land moveset)
:ultkingdedede:replaces:ultdoc::ultroy:
Banjo/Kazooie replaces:ultgnw:
Poochy replaces:ultsheik:

might do more soon
(sorry about the choices)

BowserKing

Smash Lord
My choices

Keeping: :ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultluigi::ultness::ultfalcon::ultjigglypuff::ultpeach::ultbowser::ulticeclimbers::ultzelda::ultpichu::ultfalco::ultmarth::ultganondorf::ultmewtwo::ultgnw:

Bringing in from Brawl: :ultkingdedede: (He would be a semi clone of Kirby and Ice Climbers) He will replace :ultdoc:

Newcomers: :249: (replacing :ultroy:) and Skull Kid (replacing Young Link)

Otoad64

Smash Lord
From 64: :ultmario: :ultluigi::ultyoshi::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultfalcon:

Staying::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultzelda::ulticeclimbers::ultgnw::ultmarth:

Additions:Toad:ultdiddy::ultganondorf::ultcharizard:Marill:ultkingdedede:Lip

Reasons:
:ultjigglypuff: was cut because she's pretty irrelevant and was a random addition in the first place
:ultness: was cut because of pretty much the same reason as :ultjigglypuff: but isn't helped by the fact his series has been dormant since his debut
:ultmewtwo: was cut to make room for :ultcharizard:
:ultsheik: was cut because they aren't really important and there are better pics
the rest are cut because clones

Toad, :ultganondorf::ultcharizard::ultkingdedede::ultdiddy: are all added as they are all important and popular characters within their series

Marill is added because they are a popular gen 2 mon

Lip was added as a wildcard pic, and would possibly have the same effect as :ultmarth:

Dan

Smash Lord
Odd you would cut Ness for being an irrelevant and random addition... that should go to Falcon. At least Ness originated as a combat character.

Top Bottom