• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Melee Player Locator Project

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
And we're updated on the map.

Zip codes seem to give a more accurate location, so feel free to give those out along with cities and states/countries if you so desire.

Whenever people give me 2 locations (like school and home), I go with the school one since usually you're spending like...9 months there and most of the time, people tend to be associated with their school location rather than their winter break location. If you're someone like Stabbedbyanipple who goes to school in UC Riverside, but associates themselves more with Irvine, an hour away, and travels there every weekend, just tell me that location.

Bones0

Smash Legend
And we're updated on the map.

Zip codes seem to give a more accurate location, so feel free to give those out along with cities and states/countries if you so desire.

Whenever people give me 2 locations (like school and home), I go with the school one since usually you're spending like...9 months there and most of the time, people tend to be associated with their school location rather than their winter break location. If you're someone like Stabbedbyanipple who goes to school in UC Riverside, but associates themselves more with Irvine, an hour away, and travels there every weekend, just tell me that location.
I think that last part defeats the purpose of the project, which is to find nearby smashers. If Stabbed is in Riverside and some new player also goes to Riverside, they'll never know to meet up if Stabbed is listed at the location he goes to most tournaments at. I go to northern VA for most of my tournaments, but if I listed myself at that location and some Smasher moved to southern PA, they wouldn't realize I'm right next to them.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
The FB groups are so much better than this right now. I hope that changes, but this is the honest truth right now. If your region doesn't have a cohesive FB group, like MD/VA does, then you should really look into creating one. If it does but you aren't a part of it (Bones, I'm looking at you :p ), then you should should seriously look into joining it.

Good luck, Okami! ;)

Bones0

Smash Legend
The FB groups are so much better than this right now. I hope that changes, but this is the honest truth right now. If your region doesn't have a cohesive FB group, like MD/VA does, then you should really look into creating one. If it does but you aren't a part of it (Bones, I'm looking at you :p ), then you should should seriously look into joining it.

Good luck, Okami! ;)
I tried to join once a while ago, but I didn't get accepted and I don't really use FB so oh well. lol

Bones0

Smash Legend
*Nickname: LawnMower Kev
Actual Name: Kevin Bégon
Email: kpointbegon@gmail.com
SmashBoards: iAmNotKev
FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/iAmNotKev
Twitter: iAmNotKev
Phone: 4389926210
*Games: 64 [_] -- Melee [X] -- Brawl [_] -- Project M [_] -- Other [_]: __________
Times of the year available: Pretty much all the time
Active:Yup
You might wanna change your font color. It's really hard to see on the black skin.

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
Updated.

I was away doing NorCal Regionals + other stuff.

I think I might be able to do double locations by putting people's names on their twice or something along those lines. If you have a second location you want me to put on there that isn't there yet, tell me.

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
I think a project like this should be done somehow via services like Facebook, so that the whole project would be automated.
Having to add members manually is exhausting and results in the project dying eventually

Perhaps there's a Facebook app that you can create a group and make all the members on a world map?

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
Actually, we at MD/VA did start this Google Maps project (maybe it's connected to Okami's project; I forget) that was pretty self-automated, or at least as 'self-automated' as was necessary. Basically, we got this 'universal Google Maps URL' together and had everyone list their locations (even something as vague as the town would do), tags, and any contact info they didn't mind sharing. Google Maps would automatically place a pin on the map for every location that was listed. I, personally, was able to find a bunch of new Smashers who live near me just by glancing at the map, and by hovering my mouse over the pins of interest, I could find all the info I really needed on these players. The URL for this 'universal MD/VA Google Map' was linked in our group and we've all added our info to it. Perhaps Okami should consider utilizing this method if he hasn't already (but for some reason, I feel he was the one who started that; I can't remember :ohwell:)...

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
If it came out around Feb/March, then yeah, it was most likely me. Cause I shot out a message to 50 different Facebook groups (to the admin of each). :x

But yeahhh, it's a good start at the least to have both of these, Imo. I'm just sort of not sure what to do with it all now. X_X

At the least, having different points all throughout the map is a good start, because even if a person sees they're 2 hours away from someone, messaging them might yield results for other smashers around that area.

NooBie GooBie

Smash Rookie
First post on Smashboards. I live out in the country near Springfeild Ohio. I am Looking for someone to train with. Also I mostly play melee, but I am willing to try brawl out as well.

Awstintacious

Smash Apprentice
I thought I added myself to this in the GA Melee FB group. What exactly did I locate myself for then? Anyway, I'm in Atlanta, Georgia. basically at Georgia Tech.

Top Bottom