• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"The Master of The Bomb" a compiled list of all bomb AT

GhettoNinja

Smash Ace
NNID
DaGhettoNinja
3DS FC
2724-1629-7971
So I have spent a week or so searching far and wide for all the notable links/Young Link mains I could fine. The main goal was to complie all the possible Bomb Advance Tech I could fine...and tbh most YL and Link mains have very little bomb tech. Now dont get me wrong most have a basic Grasp of bomb drops and people such as None and Axe have a fairly decent pool of AT but it still seems that this stuff isn't very well known. I'm also going to include Set Ups/Practical uses to this tech.

Basics
These will be the very base of all other Bomb Advance Tech or simple tricks that won't require too much practice.

Dropping a bomb: pushing Z well in the air will cause you to drop a bomb straight down vertically without throwing it. This is the base of a majority of Bomb AT(but not all)

Bomb Drop: now a bomb drop can be done in a variety of ways. The simplest is jumping onto a platform and pressing Z right as you pass through(there's other options for dropping it but to be straight forward Z is the best Option so I'm not gonna waste your time with them) now the most straight forward way to do a bomb drop is to push Z right before you touch the ground. Now in the beginning you might Light shield which you might find useful later if you're doing a dangerous bomb drop. But after you're able to do this consistently you can try things such as moving around and landing at various speeds, out of aerials, fast falling and not fast falling and whatever else you want. To optimize your bomb drops you'll want to master SHFFBD which is just a a Shuffle but replace the aerial with a bomb drop. This way you get the bomb on the ground and out of your hand as fast as possible.

Aerial Bomb Glide Toss: this pretty basic all you have to do is air dodge in a horizontal direction upward and use the C stick to throw a bomb right as you do the air dodge. It'll cause you to get pushed upward a bit. Its a decent tool though obviously a bit situational but definelty a useful tool. Its pretty easy to learn and use.

Bomb Drop Fake Out: basically all you do is jump( short hop can be used as well and helps mix it up) at the top of your jump arc you drop the bomb with Z and then land on the ground (fast falling will give you more time to catch it if that's a issue) and then push A to pick it up again when you've hit the ground. This a good mind games tool as well as the previously mentioned fake out tactic.

Advance
These are bomb techs that use the basic techs as a base (mainly Bomb dropping)

Bomb slide "Bombchu"
there's multiple way to achieve the Bombchu slide and I'll be listing them along with their applications

Bomb on Bomb (BoB)
So for this one you simply pull a bomb and Bomb drop it on the ground (to optimize SHFF) then pull another bomb and drop it on the top, this will send it forward.
This is the setup that requires the least amount of setup and can be used a lot as a hard read tech chase or to launch a bomb off the edge of the stage without jumping off/covering another option.

Bomb on Boomerang (BoR)
basically all you do is set a bomb on the ground then hit it with the boomerang as it returns (this is when the bomberang is weakest) depending on which side of the bomb it hits that'll decided which direction it slides(alternatively you could just drop a bomb on it but that's not nearly as Disrespectful). This tech is fairley useless but I guess it could set up some combos and is BizzaroFlame level disrespectful if used in a match. This can also be good to active bombs you left on a platform from a safe distance.

If anyone has any suggestions or videos demonstrating a particular AT please reply below.

Last edited:

EclipseSmash

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheHeroOfHylia
3DS FC
5043-3010-8901
This tech is fairley useless but I guess it could set up some combos and is BizzarroFlame level disrespectful if used in a match.
Another disrespectful thing you can do when you have launched your opponents away is shorthop -> airdodge off of the stage, then grapple last minute, grab the edge and say "GOT 'EM!" while you watch your victim fall to their death.

Last edited:

Ezlo

Smash Cadet
is the invinci-bomb (Toon Link/Link tech in Project M) a thing for Young Link? You airdodge in place and z-drop at the same time. Handy because you can dodge attacks while attacking, but probably isn't tech in Melee.

Benny P

Smash Journeyman
Hey all, how do you place bombs on the ground? I can drop em on platforms no problem, but i cant lay them on the ground.
i'm PAL btw

GhettoNinja

Smash Ace
NNID
DaGhettoNinja
3DS FC
2724-1629-7971
Hey all, how do you place bombs on the ground? I can drop em on platforms no problem, but i cant lay them on the ground.
i'm PAL btw
It's the same as a platform just more precise. So idk the amount of frames but basically drop it as late as possible before touching the ground. It will take a lot of trial and error but that's basically all it is. To optimize it so a SHFF instead of just a SH

Benny P

Smash Journeyman
It's the same as a platform just more precise. So idk the amount of frames but basically drop it as late as possible before touching the ground. It will take a lot of trial and error but that's basically all it is. To optimize it so a SHFF instead of just a SH

Okay, I'll give it a go sometime after exams.

I've noticed that you can sometimes propel bombs in a direction with things that are extremely weak, like the hookshot. Bombs hitting other bombs mid air sometimes do this too. I'm wondering if its possible to shoot bombs from the ground up, or from platforms down as a stylish/mixup thing to do.

GhettoNinja

Smash Ace
NNID
DaGhettoNinja
3DS FC
2724-1629-7971
Okay, I'll give it a go sometime after exams.

I've noticed that you can sometimes propel bombs in a direction with things that are extremely weak, like the hookshot. Bombs hitting other bombs mid air sometimes do this too. I'm wondering if its possible to shoot bombs from the ground up, or from platforms down as a stylish/mixup thing to do.
Ya those all are part of the the "bombchu" glitch and I've been meaning to update this post. You can also Bombchu via SHFF bomb drop then pulling another bomb and dropping it.

Benny P

Smash Journeyman

I usually am only able to do a bomb placement on a platform by either jumping through it, or dropping through it, is this bad?

GhettoNinja

Smash Ace
NNID
DaGhettoNinja
3DS FC
2724-1629-7971
I usually am only able to do a bomb placement on a platform by either jumping through it, or dropping through it, is this bad?
No of course not! It takes a lot of practice and the timing is precise. By no means is it easy but its well worth the effort.
https://youtu.be/T3RM5tIP6n0
This is from when I had just picked up Young Link and I was trying to do a Short Hop, Fast Fall bomb drop. First thing to note is how slow I was at the time. I often light shielded even when I could pull it off. But after doing it a lot I got it down.
Are there any matches that pull this off knowingly, and is it...viable? (probs not :( )

looks so stylish though
Ya this isn't the optimal way to do it. You want SHFFBD the first bomb onto the ground, then grab another and drop it on top of the first bomb. It's infinitely faster and allows you to use two moving bombs in conjunction with each other.

Benny P

Smash Journeyman
No of course not! It takes a lot of practice and the timing is precise. By no means is it easy but its well worth the effort.
https://youtu.be/T3RM5tIP6n0
This is from when I had just picked up Young Link and I was trying to do a Short Hop, Fast Fall bomb drop. First thing to note is how slow I was at the time. I often light shielded even when I could pull it off. But after doing it a lot I got it down.

Ya this isn't the optimal way to do it. You want SHFFBD the first bomb onto the ground, then grab another and drop it on top of the first bomb. It's infinitely faster and allows you to use two moving bombs in conjunction with each other.

Hey, i just started practicing the bomb drop on the ground tech. im pretty bad but im able to do it a little. practice makes perfect

Also, will dropping the bomb on top of the other propel it much? On Yoshis on the Left platform I've tried going under a platform bomb, and doing a light toss with another bomb and it seems to work, although for some reason i cant get it to go right much :p

This tech seems ridiculous, but i think it could be really handy, if not a little situational/swag

GhettoNinja

Smash Ace
NNID
DaGhettoNinja
3DS FC
2724-1629-7971
Hey, i just started practicing the bomb drop on the ground tech. im pretty bad but im able to do it a little. practice makes perfect

Also, will dropping the bomb on top of the other propel it much? On Yoshis on the Left platform I've tried going under a platform bomb, and doing a light toss with another bomb and it seems to work, although for some reason i cant get it to go right much :p

This tech seems ridiculous, but i think it could be really handy, if not a little situational/swag
That's awesome! It just takes a lot of work. And ya for some reason it only goes left from what I understand. Basically any projectile can propel the bomb forward if it hits it from above and is weak enough.

Benny P

Smash Journeyman
That's awesome! It just takes a lot of work. And ya for some reason it only goes left from what I understand. Basically any projectile can propel the bomb forward if it hits it from above and is weak enough.

the velocity varies sometimes with my old method (have not labbed out your method yet) sometimes it goes far, sometimes it doesn't. do you have this issue?

GhettoNinja

Smash Ace
NNID
DaGhettoNinja
3DS FC
2724-1629-7971
the velocity varies sometimes with my old method (have not labbed out your method yet) sometimes it goes far, sometimes it doesn't. do you have this issue?
Ya, it depends when its hit, where, etc. It's a lot of variables you'll need to lab out but also when mastered gives you complete control of Bomb allowing for unique follow ups depending on the distance that your opponent can't really read.

Benny P

Smash Journeyman
Ya, it depends when its hit, where, etc. It's a lot of variables you'll need to lab out but also when mastered gives you complete control of Bomb allowing for unique follow ups depending on the distance that your opponent can't really read.

Thanks dude, you rock. I'll be sure to come back with my results. If the explosion can be times doing it on the ground would be awesome, while the platform based one would be neat as an edgeguard...

GhettoNinja

Smash Ace
NNID
DaGhettoNinja
3DS FC
2724-1629-7971
Thanks dude, you rock. I'll be sure to come back with my results. If the explosion can be times doing it on the ground would be awesome, while the platform based one would be neat as an edgeguard...
Ya man, no problem! Just remember young link is a technical character so you get in what you put in. Unlike Link he doenst have a lot of kill moves, so you need to have as many bombs moving and hitting your opponent at once so you can get any kind of Bomb confirm.

Top Bottom