• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Booster Course pass DLC discussion and speculation

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Pauline is a personal hope of mine. The fact that we have Diddy, Dixie, and Funky all racing on Rainbow Road in the Mario Movie makes me think their incredibly likely to be added from Tour.
I'm going all in on predicting the Kongs because a new DKC track's been datamined for MKT anyway.

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Not getting my hopes up, even with the 5 roster spots im still only expecting 2ish more characters since all they have offical said is that there will be more characters in future packs, but if there is a dkc track it would make sense to maybe add funky, dixie, diddy, and pauline with it. They dont have alts like birdo and where i have no idea how it works, i imagine having models, voices, animations, etc in tour helps. Did see a claim that a lot of tour characters where found in a supposed datamine & where it could be leftover from other stuff, if they add 1 more row (& 1 or 2 of the charcters to the dk pack) it would fit perfectly.

Last edited:

Pupp135

Smash Lord
For fun, I’ll predict which characters will be DLC:

These three are the ones I’m most confident in
Diddy Kong: He was in the new Strikers game, and he was a major character in the sports pre-WiiU era.
Pauline: She has been in the sports games post Odyssey (unrelated, but I could see her being added into Mario Party games later on).
Funky Kong: He was the MKWii fan favorite.

Unsure
Kamek: This is more or less because of his role in the platformer games than anything else.
King Bob-omb: I could see us get an oddball pick, and he was one of them in the Golf game.

Except for DK Jr., I wouldn’t be shocked if any of the other Tour racers made it (Dixie Kong, Chargin Chuck, Monty Mole, Hammer Bro, Nabbit, Petey Piranha, Peachette, Captain Toad)

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
A Pokémon-themed track sounds great (even without the need of a character from there). But everyone knows how TPC is restrictive even with the companies that is owned (Nintendo, Creatures and GF)
I...think you're looking at the wrong set of MK8 DLC if you're expecting crossover tracks.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Tour's getting Dry Dry Ruins.

So, the Wii tracks for Booster Pass are either two of these:
  • Koopa Cape
  • Rainbow Road
  • Dry Dry Ruins

Oracle Link

Smash Master
I want Toon or LA Link Why? Because link in mk8Dx just seems so Weird i think a cartoony/small link wouldve fit better
Also Obviously small link should be a light or medium weight!

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
According to the information I could find, Wave 5 is releasing today for those in the US (and after midnight for those in Europe).

Specifically the times:

6 PM PST (West Coast United States)
9 PM EST (East Coast United States)
2 AM WET (United Kingdom)

Happy Racing!

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
The first Mario Kart game I played was 64 but the first I owned was Double Dash. And as this was before we knew about drifting we didn’t do to well unlocking everything. Me and my best friend spent a lot of time trying to unlock king boo and petey piranha so I just wanted to say them both being in deluxe has given me a tremendous sense of satisfaction

now to get all A ranks in sonic adventure 2

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
could this foreshadow the beginning of MK10? Or ARMS 2?
Not sure what ARMS 2 has anything to do with this (is it some inside joke I don't get?), but yeah they might be working on the next mainline Mario Kart now, presumably on the Switch's successor. (Not sure if Mario Kart 8 Deluxe counts as 9, but sure, go the Windows route and skip directly from 8 to 10).

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Not sure what ARMS 2 has anything to do with this (is it some inside joke I don't get?), but yeah they might be working on the next mainline Mario Kart now, presumably on the Switch's successor. (Not sure if Mario Kart 8 Deluxe counts as 9, but sure, go the Windows route and skip directly from 8 to 10).
it was the MK team who made ARMS. Tour is 9

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
OK, I see about ARMS now, Tour being 9 though, I don't think I would count a mobile game as Mario Kart 9 lol, even with all the content, it's still a freemium mobile game, if anything 8 Deluxe warrants the title more.
considering the amount of time the team spent on it I think they might

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Well to each their own. Anyways it looks like Wave 6 is probably going to be the final hurrah to Mario Kart in this generation, it seems poetic to end Tour content around the same time as the Booster Course Pass (probably intentional).

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'll just add my two cents on the final 8 courses before the next Nintendo Direct gets announced.

Acorn Cup
  • Tour Rome Avanti
  • 3DS Wario Shipyard
  • GBA Bowser Castle 4
  • Piranha Plant Pipeline
Spiny Cup
  • Tour Madrid Drive
  • GCN Dino Dino Jungle
  • Piranha Plant Cove
  • Wii Rainbow Road

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I am wondering if we have a Direct in September (which is looking increasingly likely), if they're going to announce the whole slate of tracks, or if they're only going to announce 1 or 2 tracks first and then save the rest for a standalone announcement in October/November, like they did for Wave 3 in 2022. This also goes for the last two characters (assuming the two question marks on the menu are the only ones left), if they're going to announce both of them, just one of them, or neither.

And this is a pie in the sky incredibly unlikely thing to happen, but yeah a Super Mario Bros Wonder Track would be amazing.

Edit: Lol and they just announced a Direct.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
So the character roster is presumably finally complete. With four characters but only two menu spots, it'll be interesting to see how they rearrange the character select menu CSS.

Group screenshot of the characters added in Wave 6

For the courses, it looks like they went with the same route they took with Wave 3 and only revealed one of them first, and will probably reveal the rest closer to the wave's release in October or November. Lots of fun speculating on those last 7 courses I guess.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
It's been a long time coming but we finally have the whole Mario Kart Wii roster back (unless you want to nitpick and count the two Mii Oufits as separate characters, which I don't lol). It's great to have all the characters from the most recent console entry before 8, and while there are still a handful of characters from the other games missing (so it's not Smash Ultimate level), those aren't exactly huge losses compared to the cuts that the original 8 made, and I feel like having all the essentials back (in my opinion) is more than enough to make me satisfied. While 8 Deluxe improved the roster and made a much better battle mode, Diddy and Birdo still being missing was always the last "but still" thing in my mind and it's great to see a Mario Kart roster in a home console game that feels genuinely complete again.

The complete character select roster, from Mario Kart Wii.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I've seen a lot of people doing predictions on the last 7 race courses in Wave 6. I was just replaying and watching some friends play some of the older games, and I was thinking how fun it would be to have more battle courses as well, especially since 8 Deluxe has so many different battle modes! So I just decided to do a fanmade Battle Courses Pass consisting of 8 courses. These are just my personal picks.

N64 Double Deck
N64 Skyscraper
GCN Cookie Land
GCN Block City
DS Twilight House
Wii Delfino Pier
Wii Funky Stadium
Nintendo Switch (This would be the only new course, a homage to Nintendo Gamecube and Nintendo DS in Double Dash and DS respectively, with a giant Nintendo Switch acting as the platform, with a 50/50 shot of the joycons either being grey or red/blue)

Pupp135

Smash Lord
I've seen a lot of people doing predictions on the last 7 race courses in Wave 6. I was just replaying and watching some friends play some of the older games, and I was thinking how fun it would be to have more battle courses as well, especially since 8 Deluxe has so many different battle modes! So I just decided to do a fanmade Battle Courses Pass consisting of 8 courses. These are just my personal picks.

N64 Double Deck
N64 Skyscraper
GCN Cookie Land
GCN Block City
DS Twilight House
Wii Delfino Pier
Wii Funky Stadium
Nintendo Switch (This would be the only new course, a homage to Nintendo Gamecube and Nintendo DS in Double Dash and DS respectively, with a giant Nintendo Switch acting as the platform, with a 50/50 shot of the joycons either being grey or red/blue)
If I can pick any course:
N64: Block Fort
N64: Double Deck
GCN: Pipe Plaza
GCN: Tilt a Kart
DS: Twilight House
DS: Palm Shore
Wii: Delfino Pier
Wii: Funky Stadium

What I’d expect:
N64 Block Fort
GBA: Battle Course 1
GCN Cookie Land
GCN Pipe Plaza
DS Twilight House
Wii: Block Plaza
Tour: New York Minute
Tour: Paris Promenade

For both instances, I’d love to see the elimination version of balloon battle return as DS’s was my favorite Mario Kart mode.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Yeah, I didn't include them in my pack, because I personally didn't care for the whole "repurpose a race course as a battle course" thing from the original Mario Kart 8, but realistically I'd definitely expect the two Tour City Battle Courses to come back if they theoretically did do a Battle Course Pass, since they would be easy to reuse assets from (and most of the other battle courses in 8 Deluxe were thematically similar to race courses so they could reuse assets from them). There's also the fact that the Booster Course Pass has lots of stuff from Tour in order reuse assets from there (pretty much every course so far either was already in Tour or was eventually added to Tour).

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Now that Mario Wonder is out, I am interested to see if Wave 6 or the Super Mario RPG Remake will be releasing first. While Wave 1 and Wave 4 both released in March of 2022 and 2023, respectively, Wave 2 and Wave 5 released in August of 2022 and July of 2023 and Wave 3 released in December of 2022, so I'm guessing either the beginning or end of November for Wave 6. There will probably a small bit of buffer time between the release of Wave 6 and Mario RPG remake, so not the same week, whether its before or after.

For Wave 3 in particular, they released the first trailer revealing one course in September (so similar to the only trailer we currently have for Wave 6), the second trailer revealing all the courses on November 21st, but the wave itself didn't release until December 7th. So we might get a trailer revealing all the rest of the courses for Wave 6 a good while before the wave actually releases as well, so it could be any day now, as just a sudden drop on Youtube. Super excited to see the rest of the courses planned for the Wave.

Last edited:
Top Bottom