• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The 'Mains' Advice Thread

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
Keep playing Duck Hunt then. I don't think Corrin will be unpopular. There a good number of people excited to play them, and the allure of new content will pull in a lot of players.

Ecchin

ᴛʜᴇ ᴠᴏʟɴᴜᴛᴛ
NNID
Generic_Panic
Welp, probably gonna use lucas again and probably try DHD cause i like the character. its gonna be hard adapt PM Lucas play to Sm4sh but hell, i want to improve as a player! thanks guys

Shotgun B

Smash Rookie
NNID
Shotgun_B
3DS FC
5215-3302-7038
Hey everyone. I was an OK tourney-goer who mained MK in Brawl. I just got Smash 3DS on New Year's, and have been having trouble finding a main. Generally, I like to pressure, dominate, and destroy. I can be campy at times, but I'm most comfortable just going in and forcing openings if possible. Despite this, I don't like relying on reads...My ideal character is one who can pressure and limit the opponent's options using fairy safe ones myself. It's also very important that I have a character who can break through opponent's projectile camping, or at least isn't bothered by it very much. So basically, someone who plays like Brawl MK I guess :p
I started using Little Mac at first, and he seems to fit me pretty well, but I find his air/offstage weakness to be absolutely crippling. Also, I really struggle with Mac against projectile campers like Mega Man. Sheik and Sonic don't appeal to me very much because they seem to lack reach and have a lot of trouble killing. Corrin seems like he might fit me well, but we can't know until February.
I've also checked into Cloud and Roy. I've heard Roy is a pressure/domination character, so he might be my best bet, but with so many characters it's just really hard to know for sure.
What do you guys think?

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
Try Cloud, Roy, maybe try Villager. Sheik sounds like the character you're looking for and you should give her another chance. You're not going to find a character that suits all your needs, because nobody is as broken as Brawl MK.

S Shotgun B : Zero. Suit. Samus. :4zss: Just do it!
:4corrin: is a more patient game, full of crazy tilts and precision. But, he/she shares similarities to ZSS, Roy and, oddly, Wario.
:4feroy: is a good choice, but you don't get any projectiles. If you liked Melee Marth, go here.
:4cloud: is really overcentralized, I'd wait 'til the hype dies down. Limit Break control is the key to success.
:4metaknight: is always an option, don't neglect that! He's changed a bit but still pretty strong.

Last edited:

DarkAuraful

Torpid Dragon
I don't have a specific play style selection when it comes to picking characters. I just go with whoever I like. I'm starting to learn Mewtwo because I think he's pretty interesting. Can anyone tell me what kind of a character he is fighter-wise and how his play style work? Just curious.

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
I see Mewtwo as a sort of anti-zoner. He's got his reflector/command grab and long normals that combo nicely. He's also got strong kill moves and edge guarding. But he's a glass cannon, so mistakes can hurt him a lot. He's a good character if you ask me.

Mewtwo is the embodiment of glass cannon. He KO's most characters at around 95% and has long aerial combos. You need to know the hitboxes and timing on every attack to use him properly. Just be careful not to approach without an idea of what your opponent is going to do.

Kulty

Smash Ace
Guys,

I've been having a problem lately to where I can't make decisions right away. As some of you noticed, I did change characters a lot, but one thing that hasn't changed since day 1 of Smash 3DS was that:4mario:has been my main in Smash 4. However, here comes another problem. I don't know which option to take, but what do you guys recommend me (I don't mind which ever option):
1) Option A: solo main:4mario:.
2) Option B: solo main:4mario:, but have a secondary back-up in some MUs (in my case, I would choose:4sonic:)

Also, how do you guys feel less bored when playing characters? Do you play other characters that you like or characters with completely different playstyles? I'm more interested in:4megaman:and:4shulk:than any other character of the entire cast (maybe:4corrin::4bayonetta:if they're fun enough). I took ideas when looking at the Mii Fighters. I thought that Mario will represent my Brawler, Shulk my swordsman and Mega Man my Gunner. I don't know, but that's just me. What do you guys think I should do to avoid being bored?

Wolfheart77

Smash Cadet
NNID
Wolfheart77
how do you guys feel less bored when playing characters
I know repeated 1v1's with the same characters (which is how I - and presumably everyone else - practice) gets boring when you're training just by yourself. While I can sit and play Smash for two hours, here's what I typically do when it comes practice time:
-Play with my secondaries first, to keep fresh on them.
-Play with one of my two mains.
-Play with characters I'm comfortable with and find fun. (Right now, that's Mewtwo and Cloud.)
-Play with my other main.
-Play different modes with different characters, trying to complete challenges and such as either a cool-down or just sprinkled throughout my practice routine to prevent my brain from going numb.

When I'm bored, I take a character I don't enjoy playing as (in my case let's go with Dark Pit) and go into Training and learn the moveset. That way, when I'm against that character, I have a better knowledge of their options. Sometimes I end up liking them and try to add them into my roster. (Duck Hunt's case)

Also, I play as Mii Fighters a lot when I'm bored. I've been balancing Mii Fighter presets based on ballot characters to allow use of at my local (I'm the TO, previously Mii Fighters were restricted to default), and it's a whole lot of fun to see the same moveset get completely repurposed with simple changes in specials and physics.

Last edited:

Ness Gymrae

Smash Apprentice
Well, I just purchased a wii u with smash. I got all but the mii fighter outfit DLC's, and I am still having a hard time with a main. I am wondering around these characters: :4cloud::4ness::rosalina::4feroy::4shulk::4ryu::4tlink:

Last edited:

Kulty

Smash Ace
I know repeated 1v1's with the same characters (which is how I - and presumably everyone else - practice) gets boring when you're training just by yourself. While I can sit and play Smash for two hours, here's what I typically do when it comes practice time:
-Play with my secondaries first, to keep fresh on them.
-Play with one of my two mains.
-Play with characters I'm comfortable with and find fun. (Right now, that's Mewtwo and Cloud.)
-Play with my other main.
-Play different modes with different characters, trying to complete challenges and such as either a cool-down or just sprinkled throughout my practice routine to prevent my brain from going numb.
Thanks. I appreciate it. I have a question. How many matches per different character do you play? Can it be like for each of my secondaries, I play 2 matches each? For mains, 3 matches each? Other characters, only one? In my case, if I follow your example:
1) Play with:4megaman::4shulk:(my secondaries for the moment)
2) Play with:4sonic:(my counterpick secondary or main, not sure if I'm gonna pick him as counterpick or only focus on Mario. Need help for that one. Should I only solo main Mario or solo main him along with Sonic as back-up?)
3) Wow... I have a lot (:4bowser::4falcon::4cloud::4darkpit::4drmario::4fox::4ganondorf::4myfriends::4littlemac::4luigi::4marth::4metaknight::4mewtwo::4pit::4feroy::4ryu::4samus::4villager::4wario2:. I plan to add:4bowserjr::4charizard::4diddy::4dk::4falco::4link::4lucina::4pikachu::4rob::4sheik::4tlink::4yoshi: in this list). I'm one of those people who likes to play almost the entire cast.
4) Play with:4mario:(my main)
5) I completed all the in-game challenges... Guess I'll play the characters that I plan to add (the list that starts with Bowser Jr. for other game modes (Smash Run, Classic Mode, All-Star, etc.)

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
Thanks. I appreciate it. I have a question. How many matches per different character do you play? Can it be like for each of my secondaries, I play 2 matches each? For mains, 3 matches each? Other characters, only one? In my case, if I follow your example:
2) Play with:4sonic:(my counterpick secondary or main, not sure if I'm gonna pick him as counterpick or only focus on Mario. Need help for that one. Should I only solo main Mario or solo main him along with Sonic as back-up?)
3) Wow... I have a lot (:4bowser::4falcon::4cloud::4darkpit::4drmario::4fox::4ganondorf::4myfriends::4littlemac::4luigi::4marth::4metaknight::4mewtwo::4pit::4feroy::4ryu::4samus::4villager::4wario2:. I plan to add:4bowserjr::4charizard::4diddy::4dk::4falco::4link::4lucina::4pikachu::4rob::4sheik::4tlink::4yoshi: in this list). I'm one of those people who likes to play almost the entire cast.
5) I completed all the in-game challenges... Guess I'll play the characters that I plan to add (the list that starts with Bowser Jr. for other game modes (Smash Run, Classic Mode, All-Star, etc.)
Why don't you simplify it? Having 2 (at the most) main characters and having a bunch of fun characters to play and mess around with is easier than to do.

Kulty

Smash Ace
Why don't you simplify it? Having 2 (at the most) main characters and having a bunch of fun characters to play and mess around with is easier than to do.
What do you mean by simplyfying it? Do you mean that I should have two characters? In my case, I want to choose either to solo main Mario or solo main Mario along with Sonic as back-up. Are you trying to imply that solo main Mario along with Sonic as back-up is the better option?

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
What do you mean by simplyfying it? Do you mean that I should have two characters? In my case, I want to choose either to solo main Mario or solo main Mario along with Sonic as back-up. Are you trying to imply that solo main Mario along with Sonic as back-up is the better option?
It depends on you. Having 2 characters is good objectively, but it's really not all about being obejctive. Just do what you want. But, having a few characters to deal with is generally a better thing to do. Having a bunch of fun characters is w/e, it doesn't matter as doesn't need any thinking about.

Kulty

Smash Ace
It depends on you. Having 2 characters is good objectively, but it's really not all about being obejctive. Just do what you want. But, having a few characters to deal with is generally a better thing to do. Having a bunch of fun characters is w/e, it doesn't matter as doesn't need any thinking about.
I just have a problem making decisions, so I don't know what's recommended by Smash top-professionals. To solo main a character or to solo-main a character while having a back-up character in some MUs.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I need a technical character.
Define technical, because this could apply to a lot of characters depending on what you mean. If you mean strategy oriented, consider: :4bowserjr::4duckhunt::4megaman::4mewtwo::4olimar::4pacman::4peach::4robinm::4shulk::4villager:. If you mean precision and spacing, consider: :4fox::4greninja::4lucario::4lucina::4marth::4metaknight::4ryu::4sheik::4sonic::4wario::4zss:. If you mean a challenge to win with without indepth knowledge of the character and their matchups, consider: :4charizard::4dedede::4ganondorf::4jigglypuff::4littlemac::4palutena::4samus:. Again, this is a huge portion of the cast so you'll have to be more specific to what you want in a character.

Kulty Kulty :

Most of the top players usually have one main and one secondary and typically a pocket to deal with specific characters. There are, however, some players who are able to manage more characters at a high level. Two is typically the average but some really talented players such as Nairo, Anti, Esam have been noted to use up to five but with two being their main focus.

Last edited:
@BabySneak: I'll make a list of the most technical characters
:4peach: :rosalina: :4zelda: :4palutena: :4robinm: :4lucario: :4olimar: :4wiifit: :4shulk: :4pacman: :4megaman: :4ryu:

Ness Gymrae Ness Gymrae : My opinions on these characters playstyles, maybe that can give some insight
:4cloud: is overcentralized so naturally I disagree, BUT if you like big swords and you cannot lie, you've got yourself a character
:4ness: a lot of people don't like, but he's very good and not too hard to learn
:rosalina: is the most technical character of the current top tier. She takes a lot of practice paying attention to both "characters"
:4feroy: is not my boy, I'm really bad with him. He's literally inverse marth, and reminds me of melee
:4shulk: may be considered a low tier across America, but where I'm from he's considered right below top tier. As long as you actually use the Monado and learn your hitbox timing, you can own with him
:4ryu: is the second most technical of the top tiers. Don't play him unless you like the Street Fighter controls and have experience
:4tlink: is fast, has combos, and pulls a lot of gimmicks with projectiles and windboxes. If that's your style, go for it.

Shotgun B

Smash Rookie
NNID
Shotgun_B
3DS FC
5215-3302-7038
Try Cloud, Roy, maybe try Villager. Sheik sounds like the character you're looking for and you should give her another chance. You're not going to find a character that suits all your needs, because nobody is as broken as Brawl MK.
S Shotgun B : Zero. Suit. Samus. :4zss: Just do it!
:4corrin: is a more patient game, full of crazy tilts and precision. But, he/she shares similarities to ZSS, Roy and, oddly, Wario.
:4feroy: is a good choice, but you don't get any projectiles. If you liked Melee Marth, go here.
:4cloud: is really overcentralized, I'd wait 'til the hype dies down. Limit Break control is the key to success.
:4metaknight: is always an option, don't neglect that! He's changed a bit but still pretty strong.
Thanks for the suggestions. Meta Knight feels extremely defensive and reaction-based in this game, which I don't like. Villager's defensive playstyle doesn't sit well with me either. Sheik and ZSS are probably good choices but for some reason they just aren't clicking with me in this game. They're definitely possibilities in the future, though.
Since I can't test out Corrin yet, Cloud is feeling best to me right now with Roy coming in second. The main problem I have with Roy is his lack of reach (if there was more reach on his attacks, I'd almost guaranteed be maining him). This is mitigated by Cloud, who also seems to have better comeback ability. So I'll probably work on Cloud for now and see what the February DLC has to offer.

Kulty

Smash Ace
Kulty Kulty :

Most of the top players usually have one main and one secondary and typically a pocket to deal with specific characters. There are, however, some players who are able to manage more characters at a high level. Two is typically the average but some really talented players such as Nairo, Anti, Esam have been noted to use up to five but with two being their main focus.
Thank you so much man! I appreciate it. Guess I'll solo main Mario along with Sonic as a back-up, since Mario and Sonic are the only high and top-tier characters that I enjoy playing, have fun, like their character and have a good sense of reward.

D

Deleted member

What's an easy, simple, fundamental character that is good for improving fundamentals with? I know there is Mario but I'm not very interested him.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
What's an easy, simple, fundamental character that is good for improving fundamentals with? I know there is Mario but I'm not very interested him.
The Pits are pretty well rounded and good at teaching fundamentals.

Wolfheart77

Smash Cadet
NNID
Wolfheart77
Way too many. What I've heard is that 75% of your time should be spent practicing your mains, so I tend to do something like this:
1) 4-5 matches each with Shulk and Roy (my secondaries). Considering I end each match in 3-4 minutes when playing against a computer, this gives me up to 20 minutes of practice with each, totaling 40 minutes of practice with my secondaries.
2) Hour's worth of practice with Robin. Since an hour is a LOT of time when it comes to practicing, I've found that toying around with the character can actually help more than straight practice, as long as you still have some serious practice matches. Toying around can help with learning different techniques and character-specific combos, as well as finding some wacky, risky tech you can do in friendlies, where the outcome of the match doesn't matter.
3) One to two matches with Mewtwo and Cloud. USUALLY against either Robin, Lucario, Shulk, or Roy. This does allow you to learn different strategies against your character as well.
4) Hour's worth of practice with Lucario.
5) Some matches with Mewtwo and Cloud or some challenges to bring my brain back down to calm.
With you, if you'd like to follow that (and halve the time, since not many people I know can sit for two and a half hours doing nothing but Smash):
1) 2-3 matches each with Shulk and Mega-Man.
2) Half an hour's worth of practice with Sonic.
3) One or two matches with one of your characters, AGAINST one of your secondaries. Knowing your own character's weaknesses can better help you cover them ;)
4) Half an hour's worth of practice with Mario. (Though since you play with Mario more than Sonic, I'd say do 20 min with Sonic and 40 with Mario.)
5) To cool off, some matches with some of your other characters on the different game modes. I've actually found Trophy Rush to be a relaxing way to end a practice.

Of course, grabbing some friends and doing tournament-rules friendlies are always an option and will likely help you stay on the game longer, since the banter, trash talk, and cheering can boost spirits.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
Well, the closest thing you'd get is :4fox:, obviously. After that, :4greninja::4sheik::4sonic::4zss:, based on their playstyles.
I don't mean literally. I just mean rich in options and challenging to play. Not play style. Heck,

:falcomelee::icsmelee::foxmelee::yoshimelee:.

:diddy::popo::zerosuitsamus:

C viper in SF4

Magneto, sentinel, storm, Zero, Wesker, Strider Hiryo, And c viper in marvel

I-no, Chipp, Carl, or w/e in anime fighters.

Im thinking :4rob:or something. They have to be rewarding. No :4duckhunt: or:4shulk:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I did say that I wasn't interested in Mario. :p
This. Also I'd argue that Luigi is more difficult to learn than the other characters I listed due to the various nuances he has such as how goofy his traction is, his low ground and aerial mobility, his recovery mixups, his super jump punch, etc. He's not significantly harder but I'd argue he's not as intuitive as a character as Mario or Falcon.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
I don't mean literally. I just mean rich in options and challenging to play. Not play style. Heck,

:falcomelee::icsmelee::foxmelee::yoshimelee:.

:diddy::popo::zerosuitsamus:

C viper in SF4

Magneto, sentinel, storm, Zero, Wesker, Strider Hiryo, And c viper in marvel

I-no, Chipp, Carl, or w/e in anime fighters.

Im thinking :4rob:or something. They have to be rewarding. No :4duckhunt: or:4shulk:
If you're looking for interesting item play that's rewarding, :4diddy:, :4peach:, :4megaman:, or :4pacman: come to mind. :4ryu: is plenty technical with interesting combos as well. :4pikachu: is also fairly challenging with good options.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
If you're looking for interesting item play that's rewarding, :4diddy:, :4peach:, :4megaman:, or :4pacman: come to mind. :4ryu: is plenty technical with interesting combos as well. :4pikachu: is also fairly challenging with good options.
I Don't play with females, so peach is out of the picture. Diddy kong' item play is basically restricted compared to the other intersting characters. Mega man and pac seem cool. Ryu is probably more in line with me by far out of all your picks. I like a character that has to play neutral, but gets insane reward out of it.

Ima pen him down in my phone. Thanks :)

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
. I like a character that has to play neutral, but gets insane reward out of it.
That's pretty much Ryu or Wario then. Both strongly reward playing the neutral and taking full advantage of mistakes and fake outs. I'd argue that Wario is on the more defensive side while Ryu is on the more offensive side though.

Top Bottom