• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The 'Mains' Advice Thread

Burruni

Smash Hero
I need someone like Sheik who does more damage but still has projectiles / godlike aerial game.
Sure I could play her, but I'm having trouble to rack up damage or even get close to characters like captain falcon if they play too aggressive.
While not as quick, :4ness: could be an interesting adjustment for you. His aerials are some of the best in the game.

:4pikachu: COULD be a more mild adjustment, but then there is still the present issue of damage and stable kill options other than U-Throw into thunder.

_noname

Smash Rookie
While not as quick, :4ness: could be an interesting adjustment for you. His aerials are some of the best in the game.

:4pikachu: COULD be a more mild adjustment, but then there is still the present issue of damage and stable kill options other than U-Throw into thunder.
Thanks for the insanely fast reply, will try both of them for sure.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Thanks for the insanely fast reply, will try both of them for sure.
I don't have a problem.

I swear.

The issue is that "Speed + Aerials + Projectiles" leaves you with a short list: :4fox::4falco::4sheik::4pikachu: loosely :4greninja:

So then.... approaching style, :4ness: has some of the good ol' combo strings from a grab that :4sheik: thrives off of in this game, especially the typical PK Fire -> Grab -> D-Throw -> 1-3 F-Airs depending on how agressive you are, opponent %, and DI.

:4pikachu: is that raw speed aerial demon that still has Thunder Jolt as a neutral game projectile and Thunder to really threaten someone recovering high.

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
I need someone like Sheik who does more damage but still has projectiles / godlike aerial game.
Sure I could play her, but I'm having trouble to rack up damage or even get close to characters like captain falcon if they play too aggressive.
Maybe try :4diddy:? Honestly, it sounds like :4sheik: is still your best bet. She's got the best aerial game and the best projectile in the game. :4zss: does a bit more damage and can kill easier but is just worse in neutral and less safe than :4sheik: in general.

Seige

Smash Cadet
I'm thinking :4darkpit:/:4pit: because both are good at projectile and close combat play.:4fox: might work too since he's good at racking up damage and has projectiles. Lastly,:4diddy:is viable (if you aren't just a throw/uair spammer and can play him after the nerf.

Drexel

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Valk54
3DS FC
4527-9856-8570
Honestly you should keep Sheik and pick up another character who is more oriented to space characters out. I think Pit and Greninja would fit what you are looking for as they both can outspace quite a few characters but Pikachu is also very well suited as he has Thunder Jolt and amazing aerial juggling capability.

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
i'm looking for a character like sheik with less damage racking and more kill moves. Ness was tempting since i like EarthBound and he has a apparently devastating combo game+ a kill throw but his stubby limbs never really made him appealing to me and i've always absolutely despised pk thunder as a recovery move XD;

Burruni

Smash Hero
i'm looking for a character like sheik with less damage racking and more kill moves. Ness was tempting since i like EarthBound and he has a apparently devastating combo game+ a kill throw but his stubby limbs never really made him appealing to me and i've always absolutely despised pk thunder as a recovery move XD;
Try Fox...?

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
eh, even stubbier range and i just don't like the feel of fox at all. XD;

JimmyHedgehog

Smash Cadet
NNID
JimmyHedgehog
3DS FC
3497-0193-6314
eh, even stubbier range and i just don't like the feel of fox at all. XD;
While I personally know you don't like Pikachu as a character, but for the sort of quick character with actual kill moves you're looking for, Pikachu would likely be something ideal. Or Little Mac if you can handle not having air-game.

Liyrex

Smash Apprentice
Daein (Or Albany, NY whatever makes more sense)
NNID
Liyrex
3DS FC
3265-5244-3896
So i'm looking for another character to pick up and use competitively but cant really decide. Any suggestions?
I'm an aggressive lucina/marth main but all my secondaries are defensive based (Falco, Pac-Man, Robin) and i'm not sure who to go with maybe lucario/meta knight? Anyway, suggestions and insight would be greatly appreciated.

Drexel

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Valk54
3DS FC
4527-9856-8570
So i'm looking for another character to pick up and use competitively but cant really decide. Any suggestions?
I'm an aggressive lucina/marth main but all my secondaries are defensive based (Falco, Pac-Man, Robin) and i'm not sure who to go with maybe lucario/meta knight? Anyway, suggestions and insight would be greatly appreciated.
Lucario is a character that relies on a patient fighting style so he might not completely work with what you want which I assume is a more offensively oriented character. Captain Falcon or Mario would be a good idea in my opinion as they both are great offensively.

Drexel

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Valk54
3DS FC
4527-9856-8570
It isn't quite Sheik but have you considered Ike or maybe Ganondorf? They both have great KO power and though they rely on a hit and run style with spacing they could work well as alternates to Sheik.

Liyrex

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Liyrex
3DS FC
3265-5244-3896
Lucario is a character that relies on a patient fighting style so he might not completely work with what you want which I assume is a more offensively oriented character. Captain Falcon or Mario would be a good idea in my opinion as they both are great offensively.
I had thought about that the only problem is that i don't personally like either character as i was thinking about playing doc but his recovery is bad and the best advice for me so far has been to always go with characters you like if you like them you'll hate seeing them die.

Drexel

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Valk54
3DS FC
4527-9856-8570
I had thought about that the only problem is that i don't personally like either character as i was thinking about playing doc but his recovery is bad and the best advice for me so far has been to always go with characters you like if you like them you'll hate seeing them die.
Dr. Mario while I main him he's not an offensive character but hey if you like him by all means go for it, his recovery may be bad but I've found a way to make it work.

Seige

Smash Cadet
Doc with customs have pretty good recovery ;) Anyways, I'll say Fox maybe?

Liyrex

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Liyrex
3DS FC
3265-5244-3896
Maybe fox, but do I really want to have both fox And Falco as secondaries, ill definitely pick up roy when he comes out but i don't know who to go with until them i spent today working with Doc and i cant get used to his recovery and i don't want to rely on customs as local tourneys i attend don't allow them often. before anyone says sonic, he is my absolute least favorite.

Drexel

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Valk54
3DS FC
4527-9856-8570
Maybe fox, but do I really want to have both fox And Falco as secondaries, ill definitely pick up roy when he comes out but i don't know who to go with until them i spent today working with Doc and i cant get used to his recovery and i don't want to rely on customs as local tourneys i attend don't allow them often. before anyone says sonic, he is my absolute least favorite.
For Dr. Mario's recovery, you want to save your double jump until it is safe or necessary, if you get launched try and DI upward to make it easier for you. When coming back to the stage you generally want to use the tornado first and mash B really fast, save your double jump until it is neccessary and etc.

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
Never fear! Pikachu is here? Probably not. So, what DO you like the feel of? Disjointed Hitboxes?
Yes. XD was a rather agressive melee marth player. or long hitboxes like sheik's and ganondorf's legs. @ Drexel Drexel : i already play custom ganon and love him but i was looking for another sub as a change of pace.

fatalfoxy

Smash Cadet
NNID
plushmunch
I main Lucario and I feel comfortable against the entire cast, except for Rosalina mains. I love playing as fox, but he just doesn't click with me in Smash 4. My question is, would my Lucario play translate better to a Fox secondary or a Sheik secondary? Which of the two has a better match-up against Rosalina? Is there some character that counters Rosalina well that would have my Lucario play translate well into that I'm not thinking of?

Quibble

Smash Cadet
NNID
Blueurce
Hello everyone!
Curious, how does one pick characters who they would consider "Secondaries"?

I have played Ness for about three days and enjoy him quite a bit, but I don't know who would be a good secondary for me to choose. I tried Robin because people told me Ness and him/her are similar, but I didn't find that at all and really disliked playing him/her.

Any tips would be appreciated, thanks~

-EDIT-

Also, if anyone could give me any tips as to who would be a better person to main, be my guest. I have only been playing Ness for like three days and kinda would prefer someone who isn't Link and is fairly easy to master!

Last edited:

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Hello everyone!

I have played Ness for about three days and enjoy him quite a bit, but I don't know who would be a good secondary for me to choose. I tried Robin because people told me Ness and him/her are similar, but I didn't find that at all and really disliked playing him/her.

-EDIT-

Also, if anyone could give me any tips as to who would be a better person to main, be my guest. I have only been playing Ness for like three days and kinda would prefer someone who isn't Link and is fairly easy to master!
Secondaries are usually picked based on how well they complement your main. For example, it wouldn't be a bad idea for a Ganondorf main to use a character that can handle projectiles better.

However, your secondary could also just be based on how much you enjoy using a character. Just try out different characters and see who clicks with you the most.

Last edited:

Drexel

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Valk54
3DS FC
4527-9856-8570
I main Lucario and I feel comfortable against the entire cast, except for Rosalina mains. I love playing as fox, but he just doesn't click with me in Smash 4. My question is, would my Lucario play translate better to a Fox secondary or a Sheik secondary? Which of the two has a better match-up against Rosalina? Is there some character that counters Rosalina well that would have my Lucario play translate well into that I'm not thinking of?
I think you would transfer better with Sheik in my opinion. As for the Rosalina and Luma MUs with those characters, I don't know but you can look over at the Rosalina Character Discussion Forums there should be an MU thread there

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Honestly, I just pick my characters based on whom I like best. I seldom put too much thought into how my choices compliment each-other.

That said, yeah, the above poster is absolutely correct: if you want to have a diverse and viable roster, consider characters that balance out your main's flaws well. That way you'll always have something to play with, regardless of the scenario at hand.

fatalfoxy

Smash Cadet
NNID
plushmunch
Honestly, I just pick my characters based on whom I like best. I seldom put too much thought into how my choices compliment each-other.

That said, yeah, the above poster is absolutely correct: if you want to have a diverse and viable roster, consider characters that balance out your main's flaws well. That way you'll always have something to play with, regardless of the scenario at hand.
I do the same, but I absolutely hate losing to Rosalinas tbh. Though, I appreciate the advice from both of you. For some reason I got it in my head Sheik wouldn't compliment me being a Lucario main bc him being a counter for her. Well, that as well as the fact that I am going to my first tournament very soon(most likely anyway), and I'm pretty afraid of embarassing myself tbh lol.

Liyrex

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Liyrex
3DS FC
3265-5244-3896
Hello everyone!

-EDIT-

Honestly if you're into that projectile game link might be your best bet. Also Pac Man and Duck Hunt may suit you as well.

Seige

Smash Cadet
Hello everyone!

-EDIT-

I pick characters that allow my playstyle to change, basically a diverse character pool. I have my mains as my best characters and my secondaries to patch up their weaknesses.
For example, my roster:
Primary: :4sheik::4sonic:
Secondary: :4link::4darkpit::4mario::4fox:
And yes I added Fox.
Also, it's best you enjoy playing them and even better if they click. Have fun picking.
(Also, who's your main? It'll help me decide on your secondary tbh.)

Dark Dire Wolf

Smash Journeyman
I might need some guidance on my main. I've started with Greninja, I'm okay, but the biggest problem is my instinct to lead. Greninja not well suited for it, at least at my skill level. Which characters are good at taking the lead in engaging? I'm incline to main Fox or Falco now, as they've been my secondaries.

Quibble

Smash Cadet
NNID
Blueurce
I pick characters that allow my playstyle to change, basically a diverse character pool. I have my mains as my best characters and my secondaries to patch up their weaknesses.
For example, my roster:
Primary: :4sheik::4sonic:
Secondary: :4link::4darkpit::4mario::4fox:
And yes I added Fox.
Also, it's best you enjoy playing them and even better if they click. Have fun picking.
(Also, who's your main? It'll help me decide on your secondary tbh.)
My main is Ness, only mained him for about 3 days though.

Liyrex

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Liyrex
3DS FC
3265-5244-3896
I might need some guidance on my main. I've started with Greninja, I'm okay, but the biggest problem is my instinct to lead. Greninja not well suited for it, at least at my skill level. Which characters are good at taking the lead in engaging? I'm incline to main Fox or Falco now, as they've been my secondaries.
Well Greninjas gonna always get nerfed... so maybe you just gotta rethink your main

Avakrr

Smash Rookie
NNID
Cluelessjoe
3DS FC
4511-0460-5313
I don't have a problem.

I swear.

The issue is that "Speed + Aerials + Projectiles" leaves you with a short list: :4fox::4falco::4sheik::4pikachu: loosely :4greninja:

So then.... approaching style, :4ness: has some of the good ol' combo strings from a grab that :4sheik: thrives off of in this game, especially the typical PK Fire -> Grab -> D-Throw -> 1-3 F-Airs depending on how agressive you are, opponent %, and DI.

:4pikachu: is that raw speed aerial demon that still has Thunder Jolt as a neutral game projectile and Thunder to really threaten someone recovering high.
You could always try Samus. Either one really works. If you're willing to play a slower character, Suited Samus has one of the best projectiles In the game and an amazing combo and aerial game. same pretty much goes for ZSS, except she's incredibly fast and lacking a reliable meteor.

Lenrap

Smash Rookie
I'm looking for a new main. I mostly play characters that have tons of range and space, and I try to bait out attacks. However, I haven't found anyone with a reliable kill move either because I can never land it or someone reads it and kills me. I have played...

:4megaman:, Who I stopped playing because I could never land a smash without being read (and the endlag doesn't help).
:4jigglypuff:, Who I stopped playing because I kept on getting shieldgrabbed when I went for an aireal, then punished hard.
:4gaw:, The only combo character I got into. I mostly stopped playing because I simply could never land any major attacks (only 9 I got was countered:sadsheep:) and I just overall failed with him.
:4mewtwo:, I kinda liked Mewtwo when he first came out, but I felt discouraged to continue after people figured out how to get out of side b...now people just read my smashes and kill me).
:4falcon:, I gave up because I was terrible at comboing with him.
:4littlemac:, Everytime I played him, people just waited in the corner spamming projectiles...
:4villager:, I completely failed at properly setting up the tree and spacing with his side b
:4palutena:, If she didn't have terrible specials, I would main her. Everything but her specials rock, and it's a shame we didn't get any good ones...

I think that's most of the people I've played. If you want to suggest anyone new (or old, I could probably improve), then go ahead. Thanks in advance!

Burruni

Smash Hero
I'm looking for a new main. I mostly play characters that have tons of range and space, and I try to bait out attacks. However, I haven't found anyone with a reliable kill move either because I can never land it or someone reads it and kills me. I have played...

:4megaman:, Who I stopped playing because I could never land a smash without being read (and the endlag doesn't help).
:4jigglypuff:, Who I stopped playing because I kept on getting shieldgrabbed when I went for an aireal, then punished hard.
:4gaw:, The only combo character I got into. I mostly stopped playing because I simply could never land any major attacks (only 9 I got was countered:sadsheep:) and I just overall failed with him.
:4mewtwo:, I kinda liked Mewtwo when he first came out, but I felt discouraged to continue after people figured out how to get out of side b...now people just read my smashes and kill me).
:4littlemac:, Everytime I played him, people just waited in the corner spamming projectiles...
:4villager:, I completely failed at properly setting up the tree and spacing with his side b
:4palutena:, If she didn't have terrible specials, I would main her. Everything but her specials rock, and it's a shame we didn't get any good ones...

I think that's most of the people I've played. If you want to suggest anyone new (or old, I could probably improve), then go ahead. Thanks in advance!
:4dedede: and :4shulk: have an immense amount of natural range due to their weapons, the former having the Gordo which forces people to react to it in neutral game which turns it into Dead Man's Volley and Shulk whose Monado arts really help him mesh into anyone's playstyle.

:4fox:/:4falco: are always tried and true characters who can keep a fair range or rush in to get some good combo damage. Their Smash attacks are some of the swiftest in the game while retaining kill power.

:4zss: has a fair amount of natural range and some of the simplest comboes to pull off with the pretty reliable kill potential simply of U-Throw into mid-air Up-B

Try around with those 5 because I think you may get a better sense of what kind of character you want, if nothing else.

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
Don't like having to deal with your projectiles being an extension of your presence on the screen?

Don't like having your projectiles gobbled by Rosalina's down-BS move?

Don't like being as slow as Barack Obama's change?

How about playing a character who is his own projectile, and who possesses attacks that are as strong as Samus' charged shot? In no time, you'll be in your opponent's face just long enough for them to get away from yours!

DRINK THE PUNCH
FEEL THE POWER

Last edited:

Avakrr

Smash Rookie
NNID
Cluelessjoe
3DS FC
4511-0460-5313

Who do you personally enjoy playing as? For instance, If you enjoy MegaMan you shouldn't get discoureged to play him. Instead, you should learn how to work with the flaws the character has. If they punish your smashes then don't smash until its guaranteed or who mix things up. Condition them witth his down throw>f-air, and when they air dodge blast them with your F-Smas or D-Smash.

Liyrex

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Liyrex
3DS FC
3265-5244-3896
Who do you personally enjoy playing as? For instance, If you enjoy MegaMan you shouldn't get discoureged to play him. Instead, you should learn how to work with the flaws the character has. If they punish your smashes then don't smash until its guaranteed or who mix things up. Condition them witth his down throw>f-air, and when they air dodge blast them with your F-Smas or D-Smash.
Try Falco seems you like projectile or aerial heavy chatterers falco has a bit of both. His reflector and blaster are both versatile and his aerials are some of the best in the game

Ikemoto

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4914-3226-3145
So I've been playing a lot of Robin and I -love- his/her character (FE:A for best FE game) but I've been having a lot of problems due to the strict ranges for spacing (I whiff a lot of arcfires/smashes/everythings) and my lack of mechanical skill (I get a lot of Fsmash when I want dsmash, dash attack when I want ftilt, etc... though on a side note who puts a stick on something and doesn't give it any dang corners like a real people stick). I like the defensive/zoning playstyle of Robin but I'm looking for someone to beef up my mechanical skill on that might have some kinder matchups against popular characters (so tired of playing against Sonic/Little Mac/every rushdown character ever in For Glory).

Is there a character that has that kind of zoning playstyle that anyone could recommend? I know of some of the obvious ones (Ness, ROB...) but I'm looking for someone that's a bit easier to play so I don't get dumpstered so much. Also, I'm not opposed to learning a more aggressive character, but I do like some of the zoning options, especially when I'm trying to bring a game back from a stock down.

Top Bottom