• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The 'Mains' Advice Thread

Nexin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nexinitus
Well, I have a main, but I'm having issues picking a true secondary. I have a ton of characters I like playing aside from Shulk, but I need some help narrowing it down. Mind helping me out? :)

Robin, Villager, Captain Falcon, Rosaluma, King DeDeDe, Ness, or Little Mac.
I'm not sure which out of these I should put time into learning. Any ideas?
I generally recommend looking for a secondary that teaches another aspect of the game that you generally never focused on with your main. Since you main Shulk, you probably want your secondary to be good with projectiles and zoning, so I'd narrow down your choices to Robin and Villager.

sogeki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MexicanSaiyan
Hi everyone! I'm looking for a second main for smash for wii u. I want one that has good combos, and is fun to play as, and their play style doesn't get repetitive easily.
Thank you!
-Brandon

Nexin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nexinitus
Hi everyone! I'm looking for a second main for smash for wii u. I want one that has good combos, and is fun to play as, and their play style doesn't get repetitive easily.
Thank you!
-Brandon
While I am not fully certain if I'm right, it sounds like you want either Meta Knight or Captain Falcon.

Could you tell me who your main is? It will help me get a better idea of what kind of character you would enjoy playing most, and I'll be able to give you a better answer.

sogeki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MexicanSaiyan
Thank you!
-Brandon
While I am not fully certain if I'm right, it sounds like you want either Meta Knight or Captain Falcon.

Could you tell me who your main is? It will help me get a better idea of what kind of character you would enjoy playing most, and I'll be able to give you a better answer.
My current mains are diddy, Falcon, and Marth.

Nexin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nexinitus
My current mains are diddy, Falcon, and Marth.
I can see a pattern in what kind of characters you tend to play. You seem to enjoy characters with a lot of raw power, good air games, and the ability to score early KOs, and you are okay with them maybe not having the best recovery.

With that in mind, I recommend trying out Meta Knight. He is similar enough to your mains that I'm certain that you will enjoy playing as him, but at the same time, he is different enough to force you out of your comfort zone and learn about aspects of the game that you maybe never paid that much attention to before.

sogeki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MexicanSaiyan
I can see a pattern in what kind of characters you tend to play. You seem to enjoy characters with a lot of raw power, good air games, and the ability to score early KOs, and you are okay with them maybe not having the best recovery.

With that in mind, I recommend trying out Meta Knight. He is similar enough to your mains that I'm certain that you will enjoy playing as him, but at the same time, he is different enough to force you out of your comfort zone and learn about aspects of the game that you maybe never paid that much attention to before.
Thank you! I will try him out.

DarkJosh

Smash Cadet
I'd like help please :p

My main used to be Chairzard, but I started to dislike him, as fighting proj. spammers was a nightmare.

I then switched to ROB. He's good against proj spamming, and pretty solid overall. Around this time, I was also playing Wario on and off. Recently (a week or so ago) I started only using Wario, and its pretty nice. His bike makes him pretty versatile, plus its amazing for recovering. Also the Wario Waft is super useful if you're behind and you need a clutch KO

However, I'm recently getting reaaaaaally inconsistent with him. I will go get an 8 win streak and then lose another 8 in a row. I don't know if I want/need a new main, or just need to change my playstyle

So right now my main is Wario, secondary is ROB, and besides that its maybe Chairzard, Olimar, or rarely Robin.

Anyway, thanks to anyone who helps

Last edited:

Asian_Charizard

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3351-4223-6174
Hi, I'm new to competitive smash and was wondering if someone can help me find a secondary. My main is Shulk so I'm hoping to find someone that complements him well. I struggle against projectile based users (think Samus) and fast characters, especially Sonic. I'm looking for character that somewhat negate these problems that I have, feel free to leave character suggestions thanks!

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I'd like help please :p

My main used to be Chairzard, but I started to dislike him, as fighting proj. spammers was a nightmare.

I then switched to ROB. He's good against proj spamming, and pretty solid overall. Around this time, I was also playing Wario on and off. Recently (a week or so ago) I started only using Wario, and its pretty nice. His bike makes him pretty versatile, plus its amazing for recovering. Also the Wario Waft is super useful if you're behind and you need a clutch KO

However, I'm recently getting reaaaaaally inconsistent with him. I will go get an 8 win streak and then lose another 8 in a row. I don't know if I want/need a new main, or just need to change my playstyle

So right now my main is Wario, secondary is ROB, and besides that its maybe Chairzard, Olimar, or rarely Robin.

Anyway, thanks to anyone who helps
I wouldn't worry about being beaten by a certain style of character. Nobody's perfect, and in that case, I'd suggest you pick up a pocket rather than quit that character altogether. Charizard may suffer against projectile users, but he's got his own strengths to mitigate it.

What sort of playstyle are you looking for? Something like Wario, or another type entirely?

Hi, I'm new to competitive smash and was wondering if someone can help me find a secondary. My main is Shulk so I'm hoping to find someone that complements him well. I struggle against projectile based users (think Samus) and fast characters, especially Sonic. I'm looking for character that somewhat negate these problems that I have, feel free to leave character suggestions thanks!
In my experience, Ness is pretty good for that sort of thing. He can nullify projectiles with PSI Magnet and reflect them with f-smash, and his ranged options compliment Shulk's physical approach; that, and his PK Fire and d-smash shenanigans can make approaching difficult, even for fast characters.

Or maybe try a more defensive character with versatile options, such as Pit or R.O.B. Both struggle somewhat against fast characters, but they have projectile and reflect options themselves and can put the pressure on well, even against opponents that try to rush them down and make things difficult for them.

MarioFireRed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MarioFireRed
3DS FC
5026-4457-8398
I find :4mario: a fantastic compliment actually. His reflector, overall mobility, and near lagless aerials (except Fair) allow him to get into projectile users easier than Shulk. Against fast characters I suggest using fireballs to see how they react and approach with the aforementioned aerials (I suggest Nair, RAR Bair, or Dair most of the time) into his well-known DThrow UTilt/Uair combos to rack up damage.

sogeki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MexicanSaiyan
So… someone recommended for me to try out meta knight. That did not go well. If so, can anyone please help me find a main that has good air game, can have some good combos, and play style doesn't get repetitive?
Thank you,
-Brandon

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
So… someone recommended for me to try out meta knight. That did not go well. If so, can anyone please help me find a main that has good air game, can have some good combos, and play style doesn't get repetitive?
Thank you,
-Brandon
Pit? Not sure about the repetitive part, I think he's fun, but he's got the first two. He has trouble killing, though, so if you took issue with that when playing Meta Knight, you may not like him either.

Wario has excellent airgame. And he's very versatile overall.

sogeki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MexicanSaiyan
Pit? Not sure about the repetitive part, I think he's fun, but he's got the first two. He has trouble killing, though, so if you took issue with that when playing Meta Knight, you may not like him either.

Wario has excellent airgame. And he's very versatile overall.
Thank you, Wintropy! I will try pit, and maybe Wario. The only thing I'm worried about is his grab release.

Does anyone else have any other suggestions for me?

Wulfborne

Smash Rookie
Hey guys. I was thinking about playing as either Zero Suit Samus or Captain Falcon. I played a few games with both of them, and now I just can't choose which one to spend my time time practicing with! So, my question for you guys is, who would you pick and why?

DarkJosh

Smash Cadet
I wouldn't worry about being beaten by a certain style of character. Nobody's perfect, and in that case, I'd suggest you pick up a pocket rather than quit that character altogether. Charizard may suffer against projectile users, but he's got his own strengths to mitigate it.

What sort of playstyle are you looking for? Something like Wario, or another type entirely?
Im pretty open to change right now. I chose Wario because I love how versatile his bike makes him

Gombi

Smash Apprentice
Hey everybody I really need help on choosing wich character i want to master.I have too much i love i just can't choose so in the end i endup being a jack of all trade and my gameplay doesn't improve much. Those are the character i love playing :

:4luigi:Luigi : kill power and super combo quite versatile, unpredictable but floaty
:4megaman:Megaman: so fun to play can deal with a lot of situation
:4bowser:Bowser : hard hitter i love that heavy turtle
:4pikachu:Pikachu : so good juggle and gimping
:4pit:Pit : he has everything projectile, grab game, combo, reflector, upperdash arm and that recovery wow so fun to keep fighting off stage

I don'T know who to main and who to sec seriously. I would like to concentrate on either 2 or max 3 characters but i keeping going back and forth from character to character. How do i choose ? Who do i choose? Is there a combination that would be optimal ? I need help

Last edited:

Gutei

Smash Cadet
How do i choose ?
Really, you should choose between who you feel most comfortable playing as at first. Find someone you can really dig deep into, then go from there.

Who do i choose?
Again, comfort is a key at first. You need to learn how the game works with someone you can actually use before trying someone you can't figure out. For me, that was Meta Knight.

Is there a combination that would be optimal ?
Not really. There are characters that can compliment each other in a counter-pick. In Melee, you had the spacing of Marth that could be complimented by Fox's different playstyle (Marth's best at a distance/Fox better in close quarters), so you could "counter-pick" an opponent. I haven't watched too much Sm4sh competitive just because it's somewhat new and I've been really busy, but I would think of it this way - do you have a character that's about stage control? Maybe your counter-pick should be a character that is good at breaking through a campy character like DHD or Villager as to combat an opponent and also be able to understand how to play two entirely different ways. I play a lot of Link, Yoshi, and ROB in Sm4sh, and all three play differently.

Really, focus on comfort first, THEN focus on strategy and counter-picking. Good luck.

FreshYarn43

Smash Rookie
NNID
beeftaco
Alright, I'm having a ton of trouble finding a main. I have 5 characters that I enjoy a lot:
  1. Mario - He has been my main for a month now but I'm kinda drifting away from him, he's too simple and I don't enjoy playing as him, even though I win a lot.
  2. Ness - There was a short period where I mained Ness, but now I barely ever play him. His combos are easy but I have trouble getting them into the combos.
  3. Luigi - Luigi was my Brawl main and I love him to death, but he's soo slow, even though he isn't really that slow. I need someone either fast or medium fast, luigi's air speed is not good enough.
  4. Jigglypuff - This has been recent, I am falling in love with the jiggs. His smooth aerials and great recovery are so much fun to play with, and I win with him. The problem is that he is so light, he gets KOed at incredibly early percents. I want someone like jiggs but is heavier, that is ideal.
  5. ROB - I like rob a lot, but all of his moves have high end lag and he's quite slow. He's fun, but not ideal.
Please recommend someone to play. I HATE all characters with swords. Preferably there is someone mid-weight and has great aerials that ISNT MARIO. I tried sonic, diddy and sheik but I didn't enjoy any of them. Please recommend someone to me, I'd be so grateful. Thanks for listening!

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Alright, I'm having a ton of trouble finding a main. I have 5 characters that I enjoy a lot:
  1. Mario - He has been my main for a month now but I'm kinda drifting away from him, he's too simple and I don't enjoy playing as him, even though I win a lot.
  2. Ness - There was a short period where I mained Ness, but now I barely ever play him. His combos are easy but I have trouble getting them into the combos.
  3. Luigi - Luigi was my Brawl main and I love him to death, but he's soo slow, even though he isn't really that slow. I need someone either fast or medium fast, luigi's air speed is not good enough.
  4. Jigglypuff - This has been recent, I am falling in love with the jiggs. His smooth aerials and great recovery are so much fun to play with, and I win with him. The problem is that he is so light, he gets KOed at incredibly early percents. I want someone like jiggs but is heavier, that is ideal.
  5. ROB - I like rob a lot, but all of his moves have high end lag and he's quite slow. He's fun, but not ideal.
Please recommend someone to play. I HATE all characters with swords. Preferably there is someone mid-weight and has great aerials that ISNT MARIO. I tried sonic, diddy and sheik but I didn't enjoy any of them. Please recommend someone to me, I'd be so grateful. Thanks for listening!
Wario has a great aerial game, but a bit heavy, while Kirby is similar to Jigglypuff. Ness on the other hand has in infamous F-air -> F-air -> F-air combo.

My suggestion would be Wario.

:231:

Galaxian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Galax1an
Mid-weight and has good aerials..I want to say Villager? There's also MK, who is pretty fast, but kind of light too.

Maybe Bowser Jr.? I dunno. I want to say Pac-Man since I think his aerials are good but that's me being biased.

EDIT: Falkoopa brings up a good point, Wario's pretty good with that too. Try him out.

Last edited:

Gombi

Smash Apprentice
You are kind of describing Wario if you are asking me

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
Who Is a better main for me? My 3ds mains are on my signiture. (P.S. Mii Sword fighter is only for battling with one of my friends. so my mii doesn't count) I use shulk more, but I still play as my other 2 mains most of the time. I just want 2 mains overall (except mii)

Last edited:

Zodiacx10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zodiacx10

So i made a little picture here
characters i play frequently (inside a blue square).
characters i don't like to play (crossed out in red)
characters i don't really care either way or have never played (have nothing)

What i like...
Little Mac and Mr. Game and Watch are cool (not exactly for how they play, but for who they are) they have the most time
I like hard hitters
I LOVE getting meteor smashes off stage and hard reads with smash attacks

What i don't like....
Campy play-styles (i know i have Link on there but i dont tend to use his projectiles a lot)
Heavy item management (Olimar is my least favorite character to play as by far)
Super "high tiers" that everyone plays as
Characters i just don't think are cool as a character

So ya...if you guys have any suggestions on picking one of these dudes that would be great, but would be even better is if you added me and played me to see which one best fits my playstyle i guess. Maybe one of the characters i didnt circle could be one i end up liking a lot

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
What i like...
Little Mac and Mr. Game and Watch are cool (not exactly for how they play, but for who they are) they have the most time
I like hard hitters
Capt. Falcon is quite close to what you're describing.

Who Is a better main for me? My 3ds mains are on my signiture. (P.S. Mii Sword fighter is only for battling with one of my friends. so my mii doesn't count) I use shulk more, but I still play as my other 2 mains most of the time. I just want 2 mains overall (except mii)
Maybe you should check your battle records to see who you play more.

:231:

Last edited:

Nexin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nexinitus

What i like...
I like hard hitters

What i don't like....
Campy play-styles (i know i have Link on there but i dont tend to use his projectiles a lot)
Item management (Olimar is my least favorite character to play as by far)

So ya...if you guys have any suggestions on picking one of these dudes that would be great, but would be even better is if you added me and played me to see which one best fits my playstyle i guess. Maybe one of the characters i didnt circle could be one i end up liking a lot
It sounds like you want Donkey Kong. I believe he has four meteors, is extremely strong, and he requires you to get in and fight in order to play him well.

Captain Falcon and King Dedede also sound like characters you might enjoy, but they don't fit your description as well as DK. Falcon is the most common character to be seen online and is looking to be a high tiered character, and Gordos are such an important part of Dedede's style that it might begin to feel like item management, which I know you don't want.

FryingPan

Smash Rookie
Hello. I'm looking for some advice. I'm looking for a second and possibly even third character to co-main. I enjoy playing as multiple characters and am not the kind of person who wants to use just one constantly. Think Nakat with his trio of characters.

My current character that I am 100% set on is Yoshi. I'm good with him and thouroughly enjoy playing him and have used him since release. However I've been messing around with several other characters that I'm interested in and have had success with.

(In no particular order): Shiek, Luigi, Ness, Pikachu, Fox, Diddy, G&W, Mario, Jigglypuff,

As you can see I enjoy playing with mid-high tier characters with lots of fun combos/options. Any input on a character or two that would work well as pockets for Yoshi, or perhaps cover some of his weaknesses is greatly appreciated. thanks!

Edit: forgot a character

Last edited:

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301

What i like...
I like hard hitters

What i don't like....
Item management (Olimar is my least favorite character to play as by far)

I agree, definitely Donkey Kong. He's tough to get used to, because so many characters outdo him in many respects, but he's immensely satisfying when pulled off well.

And you can be a low-tier hero, which is always fun! :3

Hello. I'm looking for some advice. I'm looking for a second and possibly even third character to co-main. I enjoy playing as multiple characters and am not the kind of person who wants to use just one constantly. Think Nakat with his trio of characters.

My current character that I am 100% set on is Yoshi. I'm good with him and thouroughly enjoy playing him and have used him since release. However I've been messing around with several other characters that I'm interested in and have had success with.

(In no particular order): Shiek, Luigi, Ness, Pikachu, Fox, G&W, Mario, Jigglypuff,

As you can see I enjoy playing with mid-high tier characters with lots of fun combos/options. Any input on a character or two that would work well as pockets for Yoshi, or perhaps cover some of his weaknesses is greatly appreciated. thanks!
Ness is good because of how different he is to Yoshi, you need to space well and zone appropriately, much moreso than you need to with Yoshi. He's got a very diverse range of options, if you're willing to invest time into learning him, definitely try him out.

Mario is just good overall, and he's very fun. For the sake of covering your bases, though, I'd suggest Jiggly: her airgame is among the best in the game, and she's a gimping maniac. Definitely worth your consideration. But really, any of these choices would work well, it's really down to personal preference.

Genexican

Smash Cadet
Looking for potential hints and tips for trying to main Bowser Jr/Koopalings. Alongside Wii Fit Trainer, he's the only character that I'm just plain awful with, and I'm looking to change that. In return, here's a couple hints that I've picked up when using Samus a bit:

Samus' projectile game can be pretty nasty at times. From what I've discovered from using her, the key is to never truly go running after your opponents. Don't get me wrong... I'm not saying to just run away the whole match and spam rockets, but when there is a fair amount of space between you and your opponent, firing a couple Green Missiles in their direction won't hurt. If your opponent has some sort of deflecting move and is capable of whacking the missiles right back in your general direction, then it's probably most wise to give them a rest for a while.
With Samus, keeping your distance from your opponent can be pretty helpful. For example, charging her Standard Special (Arm Cannon) whenever appropriate can be a real life-saver at times. The following situations are apt moments to charge up that laser:

- As soon as the match starts (Even if your opponent runs straight for you, you will still be able to get a second or two of charging in)
- When your opponent gets knocked off the stage and is trying to recover, as in my person experience, Samus' off-stage game isn't really all that great, so it can be a good time to charge up that Cannon (though it may just be me being awful)
- If there is a significant area of space between you and your opponent (Though you could use this time to fire Green/Large Rockets instead)
- Straight after you KO an opponent (This can be very helpful, as you can usually charge up the Arm Cannon fully before your opponent has a chance to disrupt it after they have respawned)
- Straight after launching an opponent (Again, you will be able to get a couple seconds of charging out of it)

As for when to use your full-charged Arm Cannon, make sure to use it when you are relatively close to your opponent. If moves somewhat slowly, and can be easily countered if shot from far-off. If your opponent is one that likes to do constant dodge-rolls, then it would be a good idea to try hitting them with a single regular attack first. I find hitting someone with Samus' forward+tilt regular attack, and then immediately following it up with the charged up shot usually catches the opponent off-guard, and most of the time will succeed in making contact.
Of course, it's NEVER a good idea to rush into using your charged shot, as the moment you have fully charged it, your opponent will be expecting it. It's usually a good idea to maybe pull off a few Missile Shots or Grabbing Combos before using it, as it is always best to try and nail it on your opponent when their guard is down.
Since Samus does indeed lose the charged shot if she gets KO'd, it's still never a good idea to force it... Even if you worry that you may well get KO'd and lose it, it's still wise to put your opponent in a position in which it is almost certain to make contact. After all, even if their Damage Percentage is relatively low, it's still good to and hit your opponent with it whenever you see fit, as it is pretty good at racking up the damage.

As her combos go, I've only really found one that has worked for me quite well. Samus has a very good Down+Throw combo that is usually pretty difficult to counter by an opponent. If you grab an opponent, hit them the appropriate amount of times before down+throwing them, then jump once to hit them with your up+air, then position yourself underneath them while still in midair (maybe using your second jump to position yourself correctly) to strike with Samus' Up+Special Screwattack. The Screwattack is a fast move and usually quite difficult to see coming, and is more than capable of KOing your opponents at relatively low/medium levels of damage. Hell, even character with somewhat nasty dair moves such as Link and Toon Link will be left mostly useless, as Samus' Screwattack usually overpowers their regular attacks, just as long as it's used relatively quickly.

Welp, as Samus goes, that's all I really know for her, but I've been having quite a bit of fun using her in tournaments as of late, definitely going to consider maining her a little more in the near future.

Zodiacx10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zodiacx10
It sounds like you want Donkey Kong. I believe he has four meteors, is extremely strong, and he requires you to get in and fight in order to play him well.

Captain Falcon and King Dedede also sound like characters you might enjoy, but they don't fit your description as well as DK. Falcon is the most common character to be seen online and is looking to be a high tiered character, and Gordos are such an important part of Dedede's style that it might begin to feel like item management, which I know you don't want.
Ya... DK has a lot many spikes lol. even though captain falcon is used a lot, he is still a ton of fun to use. dedede's gordos are important but they're easy enough to use...just hit the button and a direction to have the gordo bounce a certain way...not too hard. im talking characters that have intense item management like duck hunt or olimar or megaman.

I agree, definitely Donkey Kong. He's tough to get used to, because so many characters outdo him in many respects, but he's immensely satisfying when pulled off well.

And you can be a low-tier hero, which is always fun! :3
I love being the underdog characters (hence why i didnt like the super "high tiers") but at the same time i dont want a character so bad that they are not fun to use. DK is kinda on the fence for me...i always have trouble approaching and landing with DK...but getting that forward air spike and just hitting people around and winning is as you said "immensely satisfying"

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I love being the underdog characters (hence why i didnt like the super "high tiers") but at the same time i dont want a character so bad that they are not fun to use. DK is kinda on the fence for me...i always have trouble approaching and landing with DK...but getting that forward air spike and just hitting people around and winning is as you said "immensely satisfying"
I play Palutena and get good results, nothing wrong with playing what's perceived as a "low tier" character. In that same vein, any character can be good in the right hands, there's no such thing as a "bad" character.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
:4dk: is all about off-stage gimping. He's amazing at that, it's his thing, kind of like a heavy weight :4jigglypuff:. But in this game DK is more about trying to break shields or stuff, he's not all too great. I myself as a DK enthusiast in all games simply don't enjoy him as much as before. If you plan to go DK, learn his hitboxes well cause they sort of suck this time. Patient timing and spacing is also what you'll want to do with DK. And avoid getting hit below the stage at all cost. A slow and clumsy mix up game with his ground and aerial attacks is what he is about. B Air is your bread and butter. Also: Grabs! You'll love to grab as DK, and follow up with aerial attacks. And surprise kills with Giant Punch are the most satisfying kills ever, believe me.

Last edited:

Sendubbio

Smash Rookie
NNID
Flamjam
Hi guys, I feel like I need help figuring out my official secondary for my Jigglypuff that I can work on and practise. I feel like this is more important as customs are soon going to be legal at my scene and Jiggly doesn’t benefit from them as much. I’ve been using ROB as one for tournaments, and he’s doing well but I’m concerned for when the people in my scene figure out how to counter him. My 3 top options are ROB, Olimar and Villager right now. I’m well practised in all of them but I don’t know who to let take that spot (or if to go kamikaze and use all three). My top 2 troublesome matchups at the moment are Sonic and Diddy, and I need one who can handle both. Who would you guys suggest (keeping customs in mind)?

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Greninja main here, having a hard time deciding whether I want Mega Man or Sonic as my secondary. Both characters are fun to play and are both looking to be pretty good fighters right now, but its hard to decide who I feel compliments my main better and who leans towards my playstyle more. Some of my other favorite characters in the game include the following: :4pacman::rosalina::4pit::4shulk::4ness:. The former 3 are probably better played Defensively and going offensively can sometimes do more harm than good with them in certain MUs, but aggressive play is still viable for them in the fair majority of their MUs and they can work with multiple playstyles (or at least I've been told so). I also like :4duckhunt:, :4palutena:, and :4robinf: a lot, but I find Duck Hunt far better played offensively and Robin and Lady Palutena are apparently not too good at aggression (Palutena seems better at aggression if she can use customs and Super Speed, but I haven't asked anybody nor used it very much). I also just noticed that from most of the characters I listed, most of them function best at close or mid range and I don't think I touch long ranged fighters very much.

That said, I like characters that can function in multiple playstyles both offensively and defensively, and my comfort zone happens to be at close or mid range. I'm cool with playing with playing either offensively or defensively as long as I can do both or a balance in-between, though people tell me that I go in a lot so I lean a little more towards aggression than passiveness most of the time. Going back to Sonic and Mega Man they both fit this description fairly well, though I would say for different reasons. Is there another character who fits my description? I'm open to try another one if there is.

I like the 3 blue guys and blue's my favorite color ironically: :4greninja::4megaman::4sonic: and I've been taking a liking to another blue one lately: :rosalina:. Not too good with her right now and I don't know too much about her yet but people tell me that while she has the tools to play Highly Defensively her top player Dabuz uses her in that fashion, but she is just like Pac-Man in that she isn't limited to strict defense like say Robin and that her aggressive game still works fairly well in the majority of her matchups.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I also like :4duckhunt:, :4palutena:, and :4robinf: a lot, but I find Duck Hunt far better played offensively and Robin and Lady Palutena are apparently not too good at aggression (Palutena seems better at aggression if she can use customs and Super Speed, but I haven't asked anybody nor used it very much).
Palutena becomes a rushdown maniac with Super Speed and Lightweight.

Default, not so much, she's more of the defensive type.

420quickscoper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3952-7274-7735
I'm trying to figure out a main, whether R.O.B. or Dark Pit. I really do like R.O.B's good projectiles, and down throw up air combo. His tilts and aerials are fine; but Dark Pit's a bit hard, too. I do like Dark Pit's arrow combos, and he's overall a pretty good character in my opinion. What do you think?

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I'm trying to figure out a main, whether R.O.B. or Dark Pit. I really do like R.O.B's good projectiles, and down throw up air combo. His tilts and aerials are fine; but Dark Pit's a bit hard, too. I do like Dark Pit's arrow combos, and he's overall a pretty good character in my opinion. What do you think?
Dark Pit just to spite the haters.

Depends, what specifically are you looking for in your main?

Last edited:

420quickscoper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3952-7274-7735
Dark Pit just to spite the haters.

Depends, what specifically are you looking for in your main?
I'm mostly looking in a character that has good combos, at least one projectile, and is a melee fighter. I don't really play characters like Samus, Mega Man or Mii Gunner. Also doesn't have a lot of lag on he/she's attacks.

Last edited:

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I'm mostly looking in a character that has good combos, at least one projectile, and is a melee fighter. I don't really play characters like Samus, Mega Man or Mii Gunner. Also doesn't have a lot of lag on he/she's attacks.
I think both are fine choices, then, but (Dark) Pit has great combo potential and is much lighter and more agile than R.O.B. He's easier to KO, though, and can have trouble killing - that's why you'll want to rack up as much damage as possible before going in for the kill.

If it helps at all, I'm a Pit player and I dabble a bit in R.O.B. I'd be happy to play some rounds with you and demonstrate what I know - maybe that'd help you make up your mind?

420quickscoper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3952-7274-7735
I think both are fine choices, then, but (Dark) Pit has great combo potential and is much lighter and more agile than R.O.B. He's easier to KO, though, and can have trouble killing - that's why you'll want to rack up as much damage as possible before going in for the kill.

If it helps at all, I'm a Pit player and I dabble a bit in R.O.B. I'd be happy to play some rounds with you and demonstrate what I know - maybe that'd help you make up your mind?
Alright. I can ask for your friend code a little bit later. Just a few things:

1. Sometimes I overuse rolls or spot dodges. Sorry if I do that.
2. And I'm at least an average player. Not really an advanced one.
I'll be right back.

Top Bottom