• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The 'Mains' Advice Thread

ICY

Smash Rookie
So you can play both aggressively and defensively? Then try Dr.Mario, Shulk. Problem is, they aren't really viable. Viable characters of your type are Mario, Sheik, Fox,Cloud and Pikachu
Well, ZeRo says :4shulk:has potential, but he's quite hard lol maybe i'll try it more

If I pick him it's better to solo main or have a pocket character like for example those you mentioned?

Nice_FZPSC.42 Nice_FZPSC.42 Help your fellow Roy here. --- Oh wait, :4greninja:'d

@icy Playing a character with both offense and defense? That has an established metagame? You could always go back to :4ness: like you wanted to in Brawl. Or, you could try something new and go with :4tlink: or :4pit: who are all about being well rounded.

Last edited:

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
Well, ZeRo says :4shulk:has potential, but he's quite hard lol maybe i'll try it more

If I pick him it's better to solo main or have a pocket character like for example those you mentioned?
:4tlink: Is a lot more defensive but has the ability to play offensive. It sound like you'd want all around characters. The viable ones would be :4cloud::4darkpit::4mario::4mewtwo::4pikachu::4diddy:. These are some of the most well rounded in the top 15. I use :4mario: so I can tell you he is good with roy. Except when you have to fight :4corrin::4cloud:... So get a pocket. For me it's :4tlink:. :4pikachu: Is my past main who is also really good with Roy. :4mario: gives you trouble though. :4mewtwo: Isn't as viable as the others but still easily is and doesn't struggle against anyone Roy couldn't handle. Same goes for :4cloud::4darkpit::4diddy:. You could use :4falcon: but you'd be a lot more offensive with not as much ability to be defensive. But you still could. :4sonic: Is another option like Capt. Falcon along with :4fox::4metaknight:.

Roy struggles against :4cloud::4corrin::4diddy::4mario::4sonic::4tlink: So just find a character or two who does good against them.

Last edited:

Lamuh

Smash Rookie
I'm really trying to learn Ryu to main him. Who would be a good secondary to cover his bad MUs?

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
I'm really trying to learn Ryu to main him. Who would be a good secondary to cover his bad MUs?
:4sonic::4sheik::4diddy::4mario::4pikachu::4zss::4fox:Id say. Those who can handle really fast characters.

Update on me: I'm happy to say I'm a main of :4feroy::4mario::4tlink:. Also I gave up in Bidou as its gonna take to long for me to master and since I'm gonna play more than just smash it would be a long time until I'd be tournament ready. So I'll just use the 'default' set up.

Last edited:
Here's my final setup.

I really can't keep this :4zelda: up with the state she is currently in with the patch.
So I'll be maining :4lucas: from now until another Zelda buff.
My secondaries are :4villager::4zelda::4greninja:, in that order. Doubt I'll need them though, I've got everything I need in Lucas. A relfector, two spikes, strong finishers, aerial combos, health regain, good recovery- the list goes on and on.

And also to the :4ryu: guy? You want a slower faller with good recovery and more effective aerial ability, that still has a strong combo game. There's a decent amount of options here, I'd say the best 3 are :4mewtwo::4mario::4yoshi:, but that's a personal opinion.

Last edited:

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
Here's my final setup.

I really can't keep this :4zelda: up with the state she is currently in with the patch.
So I'll be maining :4lucas: from now until another Zelda buff.
My secondaries are :4villager::4zelda::4greninja:, in that order. Doubt I'll need them though, I've got everything I need in Lucas. A relfector, two spikes, strong finishers, aerial combos, health regain, good recovery- the list goes on and on.

And also to the :4ryu: guy? You want a slower faller with good recovery and more effective aerial ability, that still has a strong combo game. There's a decent amount of options here, I'd say the best 3 are :4mewtwo::4mario::4yoshi:, but that's a personal opinion.
Also :4kirby::4darkpit:

Last edited:

ICY

Smash Rookie
Today I placed 2nd in a tourney with mostly :4myfriends:/:4falcon: so i want to know if Falcon can be a second to cover for Ike's Bad MUs?

Also i want to ask about :4peach:, how really good she is? i know it's a hard character but if is viable at a high level competition and what MUs has in advantage over high or top tiers and if she needs some second to cover MUs

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
Today I placed 2nd in a tourney with mostly :4myfriends:/:4falcon: so i want to know if Falcon can be a second to cover for Ike's Bad MUs?

Also i want to ask about :4peach:, how really good she is? i know it's a hard character but if is viable at a high level competition and what MUs has in advantage over high or top tiers and if she needs some second to cover MUs
:4falcon: Isn't bad but there are better secondaries like :4corrin:. And :4peach: is like :peachmelee: kinda. She's good but those above her are better but she's still good. She can do crazy things. If you want to then definitely pick her up.

Last edited:

Matt11111

Semi-Casual Modest Scrub
NNID
Mat11111
Right now, I play about 20 different characters. Should I focus more on a few of them (rather than having to choose from 20 options) should I join the competitive scene?

Last edited:

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
Right now, I play about 20 different characters. Should I focus more on a few of them (rather than having to choose from 20 options) should I join the competitive scene?
The most you should focus on should be 3. More than that and you'll lack the skill and practice you need for the characters. Who do you use? We can help you narrow down

Matt11111

Semi-Casual Modest Scrub
NNID
Mat11111
The most you should focus on should be 3. More than that and you'll lack the skill and practice you need for the characters. Who do you use? We can help you narrow down
Hold on, lemme go fetch my list I made this morning.

(Elevator music)

Here we go.

Mario, Diddy Kong, Mr. Game and Watch, Toon Link, Sheik, Lucario, Pit, Dark Pit, Marth, Ike, Cloud, Bayonetta, Jigglypuff (one time I beat two of my friends as Jigglypuff in an all-Pokemon match, don't ask me how), Fox, Falco, DK, Olimar, Link, and Captain Falcon.

I think my two best characters are Toon Link and Diddy. I'm pretty good with Bayo, but who isn't? I just got into Lucario and Falcon, but I think I prefer Lucario. This is basically a list of characters I'm decent at or better, so I guess we can get rid of Game and Watch, Pit, Dark Pit, Jigglypuff, Fox, Falco, DK, and Olimar.

Hmmm, I guess I just need to sit down and think sometimes.

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
Hold on, lemme go fetch my list I made this morning.

(Elevator music)

Here we go.

Mario, Diddy Kong, Mr. Game and Watch, Toon Link, Sheik, Lucario, Pit, Dark Pit, Marth, Ike, Cloud, Bayonetta, Jigglypuff (one time I beat two of my friends as Jigglypuff in an all-Pokemon match, don't ask me how), Fox, Falco, DK, Olimar, Link, and Captain Falcon.

I think my two best characters are Toon Link and Diddy. I'm pretty good with Bayo, but who isn't? I just got into Lucario and Falcon, but I think I prefer Lucario. This is basically a list of characters I'm decent at or better, so I guess we can get rid of Game and Watch, Pit, Dark Pit, Jigglypuff, Fox, Falco, DK, and Olimar.

Hmmm, I guess I just need to sit down and think sometimes.
:4tlink::4diddy: Are great. If you want to use 1 more you could and I'd suggest not using :4bayonetta: unless she's not banned in your region. Any character you'd want as a 3rd would fit just fine. But honestly you don't need one with Toon link and Diddy.

Matt11111

Semi-Casual Modest Scrub
NNID
Mat11111
:4tlink::4diddy: Are great. If you want to use 1 more you could and I'd suggest not using :4bayonetta: unless she's not banned in your region. Any character you'd want as a 3rd would fit just fine. But honestly you don't need one with Toon link and Diddy.
Yeah, I find that Toon Link and Diddy are fine. I don't think Bayo is banned in NYC, but the more I play her, the more it feels like cheating. So Toon Link and Diddy it is.

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
Yeah, I find that Toon Link and Diddy are fine. I don't think Bayo is banned in NYC, but the more I play her, the more it feels like cheating. So Toon Link and Diddy it is.
Awesome. I also use :4tlink: with :4feroy::4mario: so if you need tips feel free to ask.

Matt11111

Semi-Casual Modest Scrub
NNID
Mat11111
Awesome. I also use :4tlink: with :4feroy::4mario: so if you need tips feel free to ask.
Sweet! :4mario: was my main when I first got Smash 4.

Dang. I'd shoot you a friend request but your NNID doesn't seem to be working.

Last edited:

KeKKie123

Smash Rookie
NNID
migcraft20
I main :4rob: but I also enjoy playing :4luigi::4marth::4mewtwo::4diddy::4fox::4ness::4falcon::4villager:. What characters should I play along with :4rob: to cover his bad MU's?

"What characters should I play along with :4rob: to cover his bad matchups?"
What bad matchups? :4rob: is a 100% solo viable high tier character. You don't need a single secondary to see success with him. And among the many characters you selected, ALL of those are also solo-viable top tiers or high tiers. Except maybe :4marth:, but in the east coast region he may as well be considered high tier.

Green Zelda

Smash Journeyman
I don't really think solo-maining :4rob: is a great idea. He's got a preeeeetty nasty disadvantage state, so characters like maria :4mario: or sneaky sheik :4sheik: could be a problem. (not calling him a bad character, he's definitely waaaay up there imo). If you decide to have a secondary, :4diddy: would be a good character to try out!

Last edited:

KeKKie123

Smash Rookie
NNID
migcraft20
I don't really think solo-maining :4rob: is a great idea. He's got a preeeeetty nasty disadvantage state, so characters like maria :4mario: or sneaky sheik :4sheik: could be a problem. (not calling him a bad character, he's definitely waaaay up there imo). If you decide to have a secondary, :4diddy: would be a good character to try out!
So which of those characters covers the :4mario:,:4sheik: match up the best? :4luigi:?

ICY

Smash Rookie
The main problem :4rob: has is landing on stage, his poor air speed makes him a juggled robot by characters like :4mario::4sheik::4zss::4corrin: and many more...

Maybe i'll try :4sheik: idk

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
:4rob: + :4diddy:covers match ups best
:4rob: + :4sheik: does the same but you have to ditto and they aren't as good as diddy's.
:4rob: + :4luigi: gives you the same problem. Air mobility. You will still struggle with the problems you have now. But luigi is a very good/ underrated character so if you want to use him go ahead but you might need :4diddy::4sheik: as a 3rd.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
I've recently picked up Mewtwo again (why did I ever drop this character), but once again I still have no character that beats heavies (mostly DK).

I used Marth in a recent tournament and made 3rd place due to him saving me from Donkey Kong, but my opponent even stated that his DK usually counters Marth.

I've been trying Ryu but he is just way too complex for me to get down. He has so many unique quirks that using him is just too difficult with Mewtwo.

Anyone have any advice? I like :4link::4littlemac::4marth::4megaman::4wiifit::4tlink::4samus::4charizard::4sheik:

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
I've recently picked up Mewtwo again (why did I ever drop this character), but once again I still have no character that beats heavies (mostly DK).

I used Marth in a recent tournament and made 3rd place due to him saving me from Donkey Kong, but my opponent even stated that his DK usually counters Marth.

I've been trying Ryu but he is just way too complex for me to get down. He has so many unique quirks that using him is just too difficult with Mewtwo.

Anyone have any advice? I like :4link::4littlemac::4marth::4megaman::4wiifit::4tlink::4samus::4charizard::4sheik:
:4link: Is slow but hits hard so he will be fine speed wise against them although he won't have the speed advantage
:4littlemac: Isn't so good since they might be able to tough out his hits enough to get you off stage. I wouldn't recommend him.
:4marth:Isn't bad but his lack of speed won't give you any advantage. And he outrages them but not by a lot. Tipper hits will be easier to land though.
:4megaman:Does good but he has a harder time killing them so watch out for that.
:4wiifit:Idk she's ok I guess? Others are better.
:4tlink:Great option. He's a little tricky but he's great. He is light however so be careful.
:4samus: Similar to toon link. She isn't small though so she'll get hit easier but is also easier to use.
:4charizard: Rivals dk for best heavy so if you want a good old fashion heavy off then he's your guy. He's not a bad choice but you want have the speed advantage.
:4sheik:Great option speed wise. You'll be getting pre patch type combos and stuff a lot. She does have a harder time killing though so if you can handle that then you'll be fine.

Also I know you didn't put him in your list but :4fox: does extremely well against heavies. He's fast, has good combos, and has a decently easy time killing. Others who are good against heavies are :4falcon::4mario::4ness::4pikachu::4sonic:.
Hopefully this helped you narrow down atleast.
Let me know what you pick. I use :4tlink::4mario: and have experience with :4falcon::4corrin::4diddy::4fox: so if you need tips or anything let me know.

Last edited:

ICY

Smash Rookie

welp, except a few ones all of the characters you like has bad time killing or struggling against heavies like DK or Zard (i also have problems against the last one, his uthrow f*cks me up in every stage with a single platform) maybe Link, Mac and Zard are the "counterpick" for those types of chars, like Nice said those 3 hits very hard and they have at least a decent weight (samus is heavy, but her killmoves are very situational)

Link is a tricky character based off his projectile games but has a lot of lag in his moves

Mac is extremely strong, you'll probably need a lot of patient with him because one mistake could cost a stock

Zard is also strong and reliable killmoves, but he's also combo food and his air mobility is bad

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
Murlough Murlough I'd stay away from :4littlemac: if I were you. He's your worst pick Imo. Dk and Zara are heavy grabbers so :4link: could be good spacing wise but he'll get grabbed due to lag. :4tlink: Is a better choice. He is a way better zoner, is smaller and faster making him harder to grab/ catch and he has just as easy of a time killing with bomb set ups and f smash. You could easily zone them with :4megaman: or :4samus: But they aren't as good at zoning as toon link but also have good grab games of their own and have good killing projectiles (:4megaman: f smash and :4samus: charge shot)

Do you want to be able to zone of the heavies or combo them and not give them a chance to hit you with your aggressive speed?

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Murlough Murlough I'd stay away from :4littlemac: if I were you. He's your worst pick Imo. Dk and Zara are heavy grabbers so :4link: could be good spacing wise but he'll get grabbed due to lag. :4tlink: Is a better choice. He is a way better zoner, is smaller and faster making him harder to grab/ catch and he has just as easy of a time killing with bomb set ups and f smash. You could easily zone them with :4megaman: or :4samus: But they aren't as good at zoning as toon link but also have good grab games of their own and have good killing projectiles (:4megaman: f smash and :4samus: charge shot)

Do you want to be able to zone of the heavies or combo them and not give them a chance to hit you with your aggressive speed?
Well I get enough speed with Mewtwo. I think it would be best to just zone the heavy out. Toon Link is a character I'm very familiar with so maybe I'll try him out.

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
Well I get enough speed with Mewtwo. I think it would be best to just zone the heavy out. Toon Link is a character I'm very familiar with so maybe I'll try him out.
Awesome. Good to hear. Let me know if you need any advice.

AAA Battery

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0216-1897-1891
I ultimately chose to main Rosaluma and Yoshi. Rosaluma because I think Rosalina is awesome and Luma is freaking cute, Dabuz is an inspiration, and she has people pour salt like a snail's nightmare. And as a bonus, she's potentially 1st on the tier list now. Yoshi because... he fits my playstyle very well. Eggs allow me to play my way without being super spammy like my Villager, and his moveset has everything I would need to deal some damage and isn't hard at all to kill with. Also I feel he's got a lot of things going for him that haven't been fully explored and I'm learning more the more I play him.

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
I ultimately chose to main Rosaluma and Yoshi. Rosaluma because I think Rosalina is awesome and Luma is freaking cute, Dabuz is an inspiration, and she has people pour salt like a snail's nightmare. And as a bonus, she's potentially 1st on the tier list now. Yoshi because... he fits my playstyle very well. Eggs allow me to play my way without being super spammy like my Villager, and his moveset has everything I would need to deal some damage and isn't hard at all to kill with. Also I feel he's got a lot of things going for him that haven't been fully explored and I'm learning more the more I play him.
That's great to hear. Don't listen to the hate cause if they are gonna whine about a character then they shouldn't play. :4bayonetta2::rosalina: Get a lot of hate and I'm here like "Bruh". You hate them cause they're the best. You didn't hate :foxmelee:. Just stop whining and learn the matchup. I hate playing against :4cloud2: but rather than running around protesting about how cheap or dumb he is I just learn how to beat him instead or pick up a pocket.
Btw incase it helps I love :rosalina: so here's one person who doesn't hate

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
Just curious does anyone know how the :4charizard: vs:4cloud: MU goes? Or the :4lucario: vs :4cloud:?

Last edited:
STOP! Collaborate and listen!
We got a new patch inbound, so hang tight regarding any MU-related secondary selection. Also, if you're looking for a top tier... WAIT FOR THE DROP. There will be nerfs for sure. I'd watch out most for :4bayonetta::rosalina::4cloud::4mario::4sonic::4fox:. Can't be sure that's exactly what will happen, but those would be my targets if I was Bandai Namco.
Also, crossing my fingers for more :4zelda: buffs so I can get my main back! I think my :4lucas: has ascended to new heights though, so at least I'm safe just in case there are no buffs for Zelda.

Green Zelda

Smash Journeyman
Why would they nerf :4mario: or :4sonic:? They seem fine how they are now.
also pls buff puff so i can main her

Last edited:
It's not visible on the surface, but those 2 (and fox) dominate matchups like no other characters can. Many would argue Pikachu as well but I always thought Pikachu was not that good outside of maybe Quick Attack advanced techs.

Top Bottom