• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The 'Mains' Advice Thread

Trogmar

Smash Rookie
I'm newer to smash, I've poked at it during parties and hanging out with friends, but i just got a 3ds. I want to get good at it, but I haven't played many fighting games before. I want to mainly play sheik, greninja (I always play ninjas\rogues) and corrin. Any good advice for newer players or specific to those character would be appericiated. Including how and what attack to combo, the playstyle they should be played in. Thanks for your time and input. I'm tired of getting destroyed at friends houses.

Celeb

Smash Rookie
So, I am maining Bayonetta as my offline character. There are certain things (like Witchtime Timing and some timings in combos) I just cannot seem to get right online. I'm thinking of picking up an "online main" to not get my timing off for bayonetta offline. I am a bit worried that if I get Bayonetta right online, it would translate into offline and be off there. How do you do it? I also have to say that I definetly still need to work on my fundamentals, so it's not all about getting good with bayo only.
How do or ould you do it?

Ravengeance

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ravengeance
I mained Sheik since the Wii U launch. I liked ZSS too but Sheik felt like a better character. The 1.15 hit Sheik pretty hard. ZSS of course also got nerfed. Bayonetta seems like she plays similarly to ZSS so I'm wondering if Bayo is the way to go, if there is any hope left with Sheik or if I should use ZSS instead of Sheik. I'm open to suggestions. I enjoy fast characters and like playing a rush down style. Don't play too often and I can't keep up with the monthly patches and don't know who would be the best to use anymore.

Ok, two birds with one stone, but mainly directed to Trogmar.
You hit the nail on the head if you're looking for rogues/ninjas- those are the three characters that fit best to the archetype.

:4sheik: did indeed get nerfed out of the number 1 spot, which is perfect for a newcomer because there will be a lot of players dropping her (just like the guy above here). Your bread and butter here is needles for spacing, tilts to start combos instead of grabs, forward airing everything, and Bouncing Fish or Vanish as a smash attack.
:4greninja: is my main, and to the guy above, he's in essence easy mode Sheik, so I recommend him to all ex-Sheik mains. Treat Greninja like he's Sheik with a water sword and shorter combos, unless you like advanced tech footstool chains. Also, Hydro Pump is hilarious if you learn how to use it.
:4corrinf: moves rather slowly, but attacks very fast. Also, Corrin can be very combo heavy, especially if your opponents aren't very shield-focused. Go to the Corrin Boards for more advice and combo ideas on this highly technical character.

Omega_Ra1der

Smash Cadet
I feel I hop around mains too much. Right now, I want to focus on my luigi but I need a character that covers luigi MUs (I am looking at you, all ranged chars) so I feel a rushdown char that have a bit balanced style. I am considering picking up fox or pit and drop both mario and Cloud (Signature haven't updated) But any other suggestions?

Green Zelda

Smash Journeyman
I want to pick up falco. Is he competitvely viable? (NOT as a solo main, just as one to join one of my 6)

Oh man, so many questions at once! I can't answer these all... umm... so to fight ranged characters get someone with a good reflector (I guess mario works, as you've listed), and if you want to know how to play falco competitively then watch Keitaro... can't really certify anything for either of you

Someone else help these two as well bcuz I'm not sure

Last edited:

Trogmar

Smash Rookie
Ok, two birds with one stone, but mainly directed to Trogmar.
You hit the nail on the head if you're looking for rogues/ninjas- those are the three characters that fit best to the archetype.

:4sheik: did indeed get nerfed out of the number 1 spot, which is perfect for a newcomer because there will be a lot of players dropping her (just like the guy above here). Your bread and butter here is needles for spacing, tilts to start combos instead of grabs, forward airing everything, and Bouncing Fish or Vanish as a smash attack.
:4greninja: is my main, and to the guy above, he's in essence easy mode Sheik, so I recommend him to all ex-Sheik mains. Treat Greninja like he's Sheik with a water sword and shorter combos, unless you like advanced tech footstool chains. Also, Hydro Pump is hilarious if you learn how to use it.
:4corrinf: moves rather slowly, but attacks very fast. Also, Corrin can be very combo heavy, especially if your opponents aren't very shield-focused. Go to the Corrin Boards for more advice and combo ideas on this highly technical character.
Thanks a lot! I guess i'll poke around the character forums, I need to learn the lingo too. (doesn't know what tilt is T_T) I'm not sure which of the 3 to focus on first though.

KniteBlargh

Smash Journeyman
So, I am maining Bayonetta as my offline character. There are certain things (like Witchtime Timing and some timings in combos) I just cannot seem to get right online. I'm thinking of picking up an "online main" to not get my timing off for bayonetta offline. I am a bit worried that if I get Bayonetta right online, it would translate into offline and be off there. How do you do it? I also have to say that I definetly still need to work on my fundamentals, so it's not all about getting good with bayo only.
How do or ould you do it?
I personally don't like playing my main or secondaries/pockets online because of this, so I understand your concern. Online matches can also teach rather bad habits, things that may work online for the most part, but not offline. It's not like it absolutely can't be done, but picking up a main for online play isn't such a bad idea either if you plan on doing a lot of that.
For fundamentals, Mario is usually considered the go-to character.

I mained Sheik since the Wii U launch. I liked ZSS too but Sheik felt like a better character. The 1.15 hit Sheik pretty hard. ZSS of course also got nerfed. Bayonetta seems like she plays similarly to ZSS so I'm wondering if Bayo is the way to go, if there is any hope left with Sheik or if I should use ZSS instead of Sheik. I'm open to suggestions. I enjoy fast characters and like playing a rush down style. Don't play too often and I can't keep up with the monthly patches and don't know who would be the best to use anymore.
Which do you find more fun: (1) winning regardless of how fun your main's playstyle feels to you, or (2) playing a character whose playstyle is fun to you while still having a chance of winning? Bayonetta is seemingly the strongest of the three at the moment (don't quote me on that, it's just how it seems for the moment in tournaments and such), and she's certainly more like ZSS than Sheik, but remember that being as strong as she is, she's more likely to see a future nerf than Sheik or ZSS now. That in mind, you may feel safer honing your skills with Sheik and working with the options she has than learning a completely new character only to be disappointed in future. Not really a recommendation, I know, but just some things to consider to help you make up your mind. In the end, if you find Bayonetta's playstyle to be the most fun, I say play her! :)

I feel I hop around mains too much. Right now, I want to focus on my luigi but I need a character that covers luigi MUs (I am looking at you, all ranged chars) so I feel a rushdown char that have a bit balanced style. I am considering picking up fox or pit and drop both mario and Cloud (Signature haven't updated) But any other suggestions?
Mario really fits what you're describing best, I feel (pretty fast, balanced, handles projectiles well), but Fox is certainly a rush-down sort of character, and he deals very well with projectiles thanks to his reflector. Pit is great, but he's more on the balanced side and less rush-down, and his reflector also isn't as responsive as Fox or Mario's, though it can be great for blocking out an onslaught of attacks. You may want to consider Villager? He's not fast, but his projectiles let him approach well (see Ranai's playstyle), tree blocks projectiles, and he can pocket almost anything an opponent throws your way.

I want to pick up falco. Is he competitvely viable? (NOT as a solo main, just as one to join one of my 6)
You may want to consult the Falco board about this. He's definitely not considered to be viable as a solo main, but some do quite well with him (like Keitaro, as DJXYZ mentioned).

Trogmar Trogmar Try playing around with all three and see which one you find the most fun, then focus on that character first. Whichever character it ends up being, check out their board here and you're sure to learn a lot! :)
Oh, and a tilt is just when you have your control stick aimed in a certain direction while pressing the attack button without moving the control stick TOO fast, which would be a smash instead. So basically your strong directional attacks.

Last edited:

ᑎᕮᖇO

Smash Rookie
NNID
Nero_SSB
Alright so I've been having trouble finding a main. I find a character interesting but after a week I have no drive to play them anymore. Any advice that might help when looking for a main?

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
I have a similar problem, but no real solution I'm afraid. Just keep trying dudes, apparently your main will "click" when you find them, but it might take some time.

Who have you tried already? And what did you like and dislike about them?

Do you have any preferences for character attributes? A preferred play style?

I can help you narrow things down if you give me some more information. Other than that, I think just keep playing the game. Characters you find yourself wanting to play regularly or keep coming back may be the one.

Do you compete? I find that when you have to play a set, and you're at the character select screen; there you are forced to make a choice. If I may be cheesy as hell, Ryu says "The answer lies in the heart of battle." Perhaps there is some wisdom there.

Last edited:
Ok, so do you have an idea of what your playstyle is? Try and find out what your standard playstyle is. Or, just go against the trends and see what others aren't using, and use that. (so, that would be Yoshi or Pit at this point in the metagame)

ᑎᕮᖇO

Smash Rookie
NNID
Nero_SSB
I've played most of the top tiers so far. I like sheiks speed and needles but I really don't like the lack of kill power. I over all don't like rosa's gameplay. I don't care for Ryu's traditional style inputs but I do like having hadouken. Luigi has good combos but he is too floaty and dies to early.

I do compete but I normally just pick whatever character I'm feeling at the time.

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
So you like fire balls/having a projectile, you need at least decent kill power, and a non-floaty that has good survivability.

:4corrin::4yoshi::4cloud::4link::4dedede::4bowserjr::4rob: may be to your liking. Of these, the best characters are :4cloud:and :4corrin:if that matters.

ᑎᕮᖇO

Smash Rookie
NNID
Nero_SSB
So you like fire balls/having a projectile, you need at least decent kill power, and a non-floaty that has good survivability.

:4corrin::4yoshi::4cloud::4link::4dedede::4bowserjr::4rob: may be to your liking. Of these, the best characters are :4cloud:and :4corrin:if that matters.
Alright I'll get to trying these guys out! Thank you for the help.

Nexin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nexinitus
I have a similar problem, but no real solution I'm afraid. Just keep trying dudes, apparently your main will "click" when you find them, but it might take some time.
It isn't necessarily true that you will eventually click with a character. It can certainly happen of course, but more often than not every character in the game will have some trait that gives you some trouble at first.

That was the case with Ryu, who played very differently from my previous main Palutena in almost every way and required an amount of execution that at the time I didn't think I would be able to attain, yet I still wanted to learn him since I enjoy watching a lot of competitive Street Fighter.

Really, its often better to choose a character that you are interested enough in to devote a good amount of time into playing them exclusively. That is much easier said than done of course, but doing that for 3 weeks to a month will give you a much more in depth idea of how they want to play and what their stregnths and weaknesses are. Even if in the end you decide not to main that character, you will have a much better idea of what kind of traits you like and dislike in a character.

I've played most of the top tiers so far. I like sheiks speed and needles but I really don't like the lack of kill power. I over all don't like rosa's gameplay. I don't care for Ryu's traditional style inputs but I do like having hadouken. Luigi has good combos but he is too floaty and dies to early.

I do compete but I normally just pick whatever character I'm feeling at the time.
What don't you enjoy about Rosalina & Luma? Is it their very defensive playstyle, the fact that they are a puppet character, and/or something else about them.

Last edited:

BusterPuff

Smash Rookie
So I main puff in melee(as you can see) and I recently found myself enjoying smash 4 but I don't know who to main. I would main puff but she is arguably the worst character in the game from what I've heard. Is there any character that would be good for me to pick up?

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
You could try Yoshi. His air speed is actually higher than Puff's and he may be to your liking. He's also a lot better than Puff.

D

Deleted member

So I main puff in melee(as you can see) and I recently found myself enjoying smash 4 but I don't know who to main. I would main puff but she is arguably the worst character in the game from what I've heard. Is there any character that would be good for me to pick up?
:4wario:

High air speed, good aerials and mobility, and has a powerful trump card in the form of Wario Waft. He also has an amazing recovery and lives long. Be aware of his high learning curve, however.

Last edited by a moderator:

KniteBlargh

Smash Journeyman
B BusterPuff Speaking as a 4 Jiggs main, if you main Puff in Melee, you're not as likely to enjoy the character in 4 anyway; a lot of stuff has been reversed or made nonexistent in the transition.
Along with the above suggestions, which are excellent, I'd also suggest considering some of the following characters:
:4ness:/:4lucas: Floaty kind of like Jiggs, good air game, and Lucas benefits from good spacing. You have to be mindful of the Rosalina and Villager MUs being pretty terrible, but there have been some interesting strategies shown by professionals.
:4luigi: Floaty, good aerials, and an interesting alternative to rest. Air speed isn't much to speak of, and his recovery takes some getting used to, for sure.
:4gaw: Good aerials, lots of down throw combos (as well as up throw on heavies below 10%), and with judge and bucket, there's a lot of excitement to be had here.
:4villager: Heavy on the projectiles, but the transition from playing Jiggs to Villager is actually not as weird as you might expect once you get a sense for how everything works. Floaty, excellent air game, and a recovery to be envied by most of the roster.

There are a couple others, but I'll leave it at that for now. Also, I personally find :4kirby: to be vastly different from Jiggs aside from the multiple jumps, so that's why I didn't mention him.
Have fun with 4! :)

bubbyq12

Smash Cadet
I always thought that I had a defensive playstyle, but when Bayonetta came out this changed. I realized that she was perfect for me and that I really liked the fact that she was is not a rushdown character and has a projectile, yet still possesses a lot of combos. Plus, she was really fun for me to play, and I started to actually win with her, but I always told myself I would never okay a character that was considered OP or unfair. Now I don't know if I should stick with her, or find someone who plays like her (I realized that her playstyle is my favorite type because she is offensive yet not overwhelming and can play defensively if necessary). If anyone can help that would be great!

KniteBlargh

Smash Journeyman
bubbyq12 bubbyq12 It's cool of you to feel so strongly about this, but if Bayonetta is the character you enjoy most, it would seem a shame for you to give her up! She hasn't been officially deemed OP or unfair, and there's the possibility of more balance patches down the road that could end up affecting her, so I don't think you should worry much about it for now (my opinion, of course).
However, if playing her as she is currently starts to bother you to the point that you're not enjoying yourself anymore, you could try:
:4zss: Kind of similar moveset to Bayonetta (Bayonetta is definitely unique, so don't expect a ton of similarities here). Her stunning projectile is feared, and it lets you get in close for some good stuff.
:4ryu: Similar input style to Bayonetta. Projectiles for when you're far from your opponent, and dangerous combos when you're up close and personal.

If nothing else, you could at least see if you enjoy getting familiar with these two in case you find you don't feel right about playing Bayonetta at some point in the future.

Lamuh

Smash Rookie
A friend of mine is interested in getting into local smash tournaments with me (I haven't gone to any yet either) but he's very concerned about playing Smash4. He was pretty solid in melee and typically played fox, sheik and marth at a very good level but he hasn't played much Smash4. His main concern is that he'll play Smash4 as if it's melee trying to wavedash and such due to muscle memory and he also feels like the characters don't control the same and that he wouldn't be able to get used to it.

So I'm looking for two suggestions:

1. That being said, I'm looking for advice on what characters he can play that may not necessarily control the same as characters in melee (since that's almost impossible) that are fluid that offer the potential for technical play.

2. The second one is actually for me. I've been expanding my pool some to get comfortable with a lot of different types of characters, and currently I play Ike, Sonic, Robin and some Greninja. What I'm looking for to round out my pool of flex picks is a character thats very... I'm not sure how to put it. Very up close and personal, always wanting to be right in the other person's face. Ultra vague explanation but anyways, suggestions would be appreciated.

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
1. Well no one in this game moves like Melee, and finding one that kind of can may just reinforce that expectation and stunt his movement even more in the long run. That said, there are a few characters with short dash cooldowns, so you can like, crappy Melee dash dance with them. They are:
:4lucario::4cloud::4gaw:
Cloud in particular is fast and pretty fluid if you learn his autocancel timings. BUT, I recommend not picking a character like this, since I doubt any character in this game will scratch that Melee movement itch.

2. Characters that want to be close to the opponent? Or characters that apply pressure? Hmmm...
:4falcon:isn't truly a rushdown character, but he has strong CQC and is fast, so he may be what you're looking for.
:4feroy:is similar but he has a sword I guess.
:4bowserjr:is a weird one. His kit seems like it's suited to playing aggressively. It's a bit more complex than that, but he does like to mess around in his opponent's face.
:4peach:has pretty nice pressure with variable float heights, a projectile, and some strong aerials.
:4metaknight:thrives at a certain distance from his opponent where he can mix up dash attack, dash grab, or fair; also has a strong punish game and is good offstage, so you can really get in your opponent's face and stay there.
:4littlemac:isn't super aggressive, but he does need to be close to his enemy, and has plenty of ways to threaten someone right in front of him.

bubbyq12

Smash Cadet
bubbyq12 bubbyq12 It's cool of you to feel so strongly about this, but if Bayonetta is the character you enjoy most, it would seem a shame for you to give her up! She hasn't been officially deemed OP or unfair, and there's the possibility of more balance patches down the road that could end up affecting her, so I don't think you should worry much about it for now (my opinion, of course).
However, if playing her as she is currently starts to bother you to the point that you're not enjoying yourself anymore, you could try:
:4zss: Kind of similar moveset to Bayonetta (Bayonetta is definitely unique, so don't expect a ton of similarities here). Her stunning projectile is feared, and it lets you get in close for some good stuff.
:4ryu: Similar input style to Bayonetta. Projectiles for when you're far from your opponent, and dangerous combos when you're up close and personal.

If nothing else, you could at least see if you enjoy getting familiar with these two in case you find you don't feel right about playing Bayonetta at some point in the future.
Thanks for the advice! ☺ I don't have Ryu (Bayonetta, Corrin, and Mewtwo are the only DLC I own) and I can't use ZSS at all. Are there any characters that are a little less similar than Bayo, but fit an offensive yet slightly defensive (and not rushdown) playstyle, and have a projectile/gimmick?

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
I always thought that I had a defensive playstyle, but when Bayonetta came out this changed. I realized that she was perfect for me and that I really liked the fact that she was is not a rushdown character and has a projectile, yet still possesses a lot of combos. Plus, she was really fun for me to play, and I started to actually win with her, but I always told myself I would never okay a character that was considered OP or unfair. Now I don't know if I should stick with her, or find someone who plays like her (I realized that her playstyle is my favorite type because she is offensive yet not overwhelming and can play defensively if necessary). If anyone can help that would be great!
I'd suggest sticking to Bayonetta. When I read this, all I'm getting from it is "If the shoe fits, find a slightly less comfortable shoe" which is frankly silly.

1. That being said, I'm looking for advice on what characters he can play that may not necessarily control the same as characters in melee (since that's almost impossible) that are fluid that offer the potential for technical play.

2. The second one is actually for me. I've been expanding my pool some to get comfortable with a lot of different types of characters, and currently I play Ike, Sonic, Robin and some Greninja. What I'm looking for to round out my pool of flex picks is a character thats very... I'm not sure how to put it. Very up close and personal, always wanting to be right in the other person's face. Ultra vague explanation but anyways, suggestions would be appreciated.
1. Echoing Oats on this. :4cloud2: would be a good initial pick if the dashdancing thing is really important, but otherwise I'm not really sure that "Melee-esque movement" is a good metric for picking a character in this game. :4peach: float cancels and :4pikachu: Quick Attack shenanigans could fit the technical movement aspect I suppose, but I doubt Peach would be a good fit.

2. :4fox: comes to mind.

KniteBlargh

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the advice! ☺ I don't have Ryu (Bayonetta, Corrin, and Mewtwo are the only DLC I own) and I can't use ZSS at all. Are there any characters that are a little less similar than Bayo, but fit an offensive yet slightly defensive (and not rushdown) playstyle, and have a projectile/gimmick?
I know what you mean, she's odd at first, but I'd still encourage you to get a feel for ZSS as it could end up helping you in the long run. Maybe check out her board here and pick up tips from ZSS mains (in fact I'd suggest you do this for any character you end up being interested in).

There are actually quite a few characters who fit your description; many characters can be played offensively or defensively, depending on the player (i.e. J!'s defensive Sheik). But, here are some more suggestions:
:4darkpit: Most look to Nairo when it comes to Dark Pit, and he makes this character look like more of a rushdown type at times, but he's a very aggressive player; Dark Pit doesn't have to be played this way. A lot of his hitboxes stretch way out from his body, so if you learn the spacing, he can effectively poke and keep up pressure from a relatively safe distance. He has two reflectors, one of which can shield him from would-be fatal attacks and also push opponents away from the stage as they use their recovery special if you're good enough with it. His arrows also allow him to be more campy if you so choose; they can be stalled to tease your opponent and also slightly curved. Most of this applies to :4pit: as well, but because Pit's arrows can be controlled to a greater degree, I feel his playstyle is a bit more intense, though it of course doesn't have to be, just something to keep in mind.
:4lucario: Can be played offensively, but his moves have a specific rhythm to them that you have to get a feel for, otherwise you'll end up getting punished over and over again (he has good quick pokes like jab, fair, and down tilt). Overall a very interesting character, because he doesn't really get KO'd all that easily, and with higher damage, he becomes rather terrifying in the right hands; along with the usual rage mechanic, many of his hitboxes get bigger and become devastatingly strong, even on opponents with low damage %s. Because of this, a lot of his pressure actually comes from the fear he puts into the opponent. LOL

Some others you may want to check out:
:4falco: :4luigi: :4gaw: :4villager: :4miisword:

Last edited:
You want a powerful gimmick with both defense and offense, go with :rosalina:. Not to mention, she and Sonic are the only other characters vying for that #1 tier position, yet neither are considered strictly OP. Warning- Rosalina requires a copious amount of focus to control both her and the Luma at once.

Another character who can present this technical playstyle would be... probably :4wiifit:. She has offense with Deep Breathing, space pressure with Header, and a second hitbox option on practically all of her moves.

And to the guy who wanted a melee-esque character for his friend, go with :4feroy:. He's only in Smash 4 for the Melee fanboys anyway. He plays exactly like Melee, with fast falling, high power, impressively fast movement, and bad recovery. Oh, and you can play him too because he has that aspect of "in your face" offensive pressure.

APPEND. I need some help.
I just don't get it... Even after all this time with :4greninja:, :4mewtwo: and :4lucas: etc, I still feel like none of them are my real playstyle. Something I've noticed in my time helping out here is that it's really hard to choose one's own main, since it's hard to pinpoint personal style.
You know, if :wolf: came back, this would be all solved. He was the perfect character for what I think my optimal playstyle is- midspeed, controllable, well rounded, and physically focused. Who's a lot like Wolf in Sm4sh? And don't say :4fox: or :4falco:, they really don't work for me. One's too fast, one's too slow.

Last edited:

TheRealSkid

Smash Apprentice
Months ago, I posted on this thread maining :4pit::4mewtwo::4link:. However, over the past month or two, I have dropped :4link: for :4fox: since I wanted an answer to higher tiered characters and felt I could only main 3 characters. Everything was great. But then, :4corrin::4bayonetta:were released and everything went to hell. Witch time was (thankfully, was) a pain, still haven't won a set against :4corrin:mains I used to beat before as their former mains, and my :4fox:in particular seems....worse, like I've somehow deteriorated. This was a problem I had with :4link:as well, and during my time maining link, i would go on long breaks from him when I did bad until the next tournament. But, is 4 too much? I have not tried :4link: against corrin, but I don't want to do so until I can truly confirm that 4 isn't too much.
Is it?
Is it a possibility to use him for just, say, the corrin and marth and all that matchup and still "main" my previous 3?

If 4 is too much, should I drop :4mewtwo:? I don't see much purpose for using it besides the fact that it's my favorite Pokemon and my more "fun" character. I do use him for the :4falco:MU but my other characters could do a better job of this.

Any help would be greatly, greatly appreciated.

Kulty

Smash Ace
Months ago, I posted on this thread maining :4pit::4mewtwo::4link:. However, over the past month or two, I have dropped :4link: for :4fox: since I wanted an answer to higher tiered characters and felt I could only main 3 characters. Everything was great. But then, :4corrin::4bayonetta:were released and everything went to hell. Witch time was (thankfully, was) a pain, still haven't won a set against :4corrin:mains I used to beat before as their former mains, and my :4fox:in particular seems....worse, like I've somehow deteriorated. This was a problem I had with :4link:as well, and during my time maining link, i would go on long breaks from him when I did bad until the next tournament. But, is 4 too much? I have not tried :4link: against corrin, but I don't want to do so until I can truly confirm that 4 isn't too much.
Is it?
Is it a possibility to use him for just, say, the corrin and marth and all that matchup and still "main" my previous 3?

If 4 is too much, should I drop :4mewtwo:? I don't see much purpose for using it besides the fact that it's my favorite Pokemon and my more "fun" character. I do use him for the :4falco:MU but my other characters could do a better job of this.

Any help would be greatly, greatly appreciated.
Honestly, 4 is way too much. I honestly recommend and I think it applies to anyone who's new to the competitive scene. I went through that a lot, since the majority of my posts come from this thread in particular. Anyway, you should only focus on two characters maximum normally, but three can be duable as long as you're willing to put effort and time through these characters. I personally don't recommend more than two characters to focus on if you go to tournaments, but it's up to you. If you think you can do it, by all means, go for it. You just have to judge yourself well on whether or not you can focus on them...

That's my take. Focus only on two, but it's all on you. Hope it helps. XD

Still having problems with this :wolf: thing. I'm looking for a similarly midspeed well-rounded character. It's the main reason I picked up :4lucas:, but his tether grab and low air speed are sometimes troubling. Who do you think in Smash 4 (outside of :4fox::4falco:) are similar to Wolf in playstyle?

KniteBlargh

Smash Journeyman
Still having problems with this :wolf: thing. I'm looking for a similarly midspeed well-rounded character. It's the main reason I picked up :4lucas:, but his tether grab and low air speed are sometimes troubling. Who do you think in Smash 4 (outside of :4fox::4falco:) are similar to Wolf in playstyle?
I don't know man, I haven't found a character to fill the Wolf void, honestly. :/ I mean, :4miibrawl: can be similar to a degree with some tweaking and has decent air speed, but I don't know how you feel about Miis (I don't really use them myself).

Not everywhere allows Mii customs. I'd main Brawler in an instant if it was universally accepted. 1323 or 1233 semi-small are both the perfect match.
Pit and Dark Pit... I've tried both but they're just not strong enough. Air speed is kind of low, but I've been able to work with it because of Guardian Orbitars.

KniteBlargh

Smash Journeyman
Right, I'm aware of that; wasn't sure whether this was for tournament use or just a substitute for Wolf in friendlies. Not sure who else could fill in, though, sadly...

Last edited:

Onee-San

Smash Rookie
I'm a big an of hit and run tactics and mobililty so are there any characters that are highly mobile that accelerate at hit and run.

Top Bottom