• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Maine Brawl (Take Two) Portland, ME --<UPDATE: 12/1/08>--

Jman115

Smash Journeyman
The Maine Brawl (UPDATED: 11/21/08)

My contact information:
Justin.Kangas@hotmail.com
Jkangas@Lewistonpublicschools.org
207-578-2148
please call only the day of the tournament if you have questions/are lost. Otherwise please email.

Luther Bonney Hall
96 Falmouth St
Portland, Maine 04103
Dec. 13th, 2008

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Portland&state=ME&address=96+Falmouth+St
The hall is located between Flamouth and Bedford St. If you would like a map of the campus do a google search for Luther Bonney Hall usm. It will be the first link that shows up.

Starts at 11am, tourney's will go from 12-5p. In the future we will have more time. Please try to register ahead of time by visiting the official site:
http://allisbrawl.com/ttournament.aspx?id=3601

BRING SETUPS
The more Tv's and Wii's that we have the better. We have 5 hours for tournaments, so the more we have, the more tourneys we can get to. Also, if you plan on bringing a set up try to show up NO LATER than 11:30 so we have time to hook everything up.

ENTRY FEE
In order:
Brawl Singles - $5
Brawl Doubles - $5 per person
Melee Singles - $5
Melee Doubles - $5
Venue Fee - $3

Prizes are as follows:
1st: 60%
2nd: 30%
3RD: 10%

I am keeping the prices at 5 bucks a tourney this time because it is my first tourney that I have hosted. If I feel like the tournament goes off smoothly and there is enough interest, I will increase entry fees so we have bigger cash prizes.

TOURNAMENT DETAILS:

There will be a brawl singles tourney, and a brawl doubles tourney.
Double Elimination

We will also have a Melee singles tourney and possibly a doubles tourney if time and interest permits it.

Talking to my friends, we have decided that since there will be less interest in the Melee tourney's, those who don't want to pay to compete can play for free, however should they win they will not receive the prize money. The highest ranked person who paid will receive the money.

BRAWL RULES:

* 3 Stock

* 8 minute timer

* Items are set to "off" and "none"

* All sets with the possible exception of winner's finals, loser's finals, and the championship are best of 3 matches (best of 5 and above is recommended for any "finals" matches)

* In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors

* No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players.

* In team matches, the ports will be determined in a 1221 fashion; whoever wins the RPS will choose first, then the opposing team will get their ports, and then the teammate of the RPS winner will get the last port.

* If the timer runs out, the victor is determined first by stock and then by percentage.

* Metaknight's Infinite Cape glitch is banned.

* If a game ends with Bowser doing his suicide klaw and it ends in sudden death, the sudden death will be ignored and that game will count as a win for Bowser.

* You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility, so bring an extra controller if possible and always check to make sure you're using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. If a match is to be restarted due to controller functions, it must be agreed upon by both parties.

* Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.

* Stalling is banned.

Stalling: The act of deliberately avoiding any and all conflict so that one may make the game unplayable. Running away from an opponent to reach a better position is not stalling, while doing an infinite grab endlessly against a wall is. Any infinite chain grabs most end quickly after 300% has been reached so as to prevent excessive stalling.

Set format (In Order of Procedure):
1. Opponents choose their characters for the first match *
2. Opponents start the stage striking procedure
3. Each player may announce one stage to be banned for counterpicks of the set
4. The first game is played, using the stage chosen during step 2
5. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Starter Stage List or the Counter Stage List
6. The winner of the previous match chooses their character.

Stages/neutral
Starter
Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island
Delfino
Pokémon Stadium 1

Counter
Brinstar
Corneria
Distant Planet
Frigate Orpheon
Pirate Ship
Rainbow Cruise
Yoshi's Island (Pipes)
Halberd
Lylat Cruise
Castle Siege

Melee Rules
Since I never went to Melee tourneys, I borrowed Dazwa's :) Pretty much what I assumed they were.

• 4 Stock, 8 minute timer, items are set to "off" and "none," all matches are best 2 out of 3 with the exception of Winners Finals, Losers Finals, and Grand Finals (all to be played 3 out of 5)
• First game is double blind character, random stage.
• Second and third games, loser of the previous game picks stage, winner picks character, loser picks character.
• No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players.
• If the timer runs out, the victor is determined first by stock and then by percentage. If a tie still occurs, play a one stock match in the same match-up, character-wise and stage-wise
• Stage Strike: Each person strikes one stage for the entire set. This stage must be selected at the beginning of the match, after initial characters have been chosen. The chosen stage may not be used during the entire set.
• You are responsible for your own controller. Any malfunctions that occur are your responsibility, so bring an extra controller if possible. If a match is to be restarted due to controller functions, it must be agreed upon by both parties.
• Controller Mods, Glitches (IC Freeze Glitch, Mewtwo Soul Stunner, etc), and tactics used to stall a match (wall-bombing, rising pound, Wobbling forever), are banned. Wobbling by itself is allowed, capped at 250%.

Starters
Final Destination
Dream Land 64
Battlefield
Yoshi’s Story
Pokemon Stadium
Fountain of Dreams (SINGLES ONLY)

Counters
Mute City (SINGLES ONLY)
Rainbow Cruise
Brinstar
Pokefloats
Kongo Jungle 64
Jungle Japes
Green Greens
Corneria
Mushroom Kingdom 2 (TEAMS ONLY)
Termina (TEAMS ONLY)

All other stages are banned.

Jman115

Smash Journeyman
Hopefully if this goes off well, I will host regular tourneys ever 1-2 months. Maine might actually get a brawl tourney scene going!....sort of! My vision....SoCo vs Maine... :p

wWw Dazwa

#BADMAN
I'm not gonna lie, I'm not sure if it's possible to get everything (Brawl Singles/Doubles) done in 3 hours. It usually took me about 6 or so to run Melee Singles/Doubles back in the day, and this is Brawl, it takes a bit longer...

However I am definitely interested in Maine's smash scene reviving/growing so I'm gonna try to make it!

edit: Do you mean SoCal vs Maine? Awhile ago there was a NorCal vs Maine crew battle...Maine did pretty good, or so I heard.

Banks

Smash Hero
we 8 stocked them, don't be modest LOL

i'll try to make this with people. yea depending on turnout its highly doubtful you'll be able to do any melee events. might even have a hard time with just brawl..but i'll bring a gamecube to play people because I like melee >__>

LOL @ the location I used to have classes there, and I used to **** people in melee all day in the dicky-wood hall in gorham, i wonder if I'll see some of those guys here. o god..

Jman115

Smash Journeyman
I had a feeling that was going to be the case. I will call USM and see if we can get the place book till 5 or 6pm and update the thread tomorrow.

We sill have 2 Wii's so you don't need your GC because they play GC games. I am bringing melee.

wWw Dazwa

#BADMAN
Believe me, the more setups the better. If I end up going it'll probably be with a TV and a Wii.

Jman115

Smash Journeyman
Ill take your word as this is my first tourney I have begun hosting. Its much appreciated.

Jman115

Smash Journeyman
UPDATE: I am happy to say that I talked to the guy renting out the room and we can stay there until 5pm. This gives us an extra 2 hours. Should be good news for everyone I imaigne.

Banks

Smash Hero
yea im going to bring a tv or a couple of tv's and a gamecube and a wii and power extenstion cords. we usually have like 6 tv's or more at the biddeford maine tournaments, idk if the turnout will be much smaller then we may not need them all. sharing two setups would be terribly boring for the people waiting, you want as many people playing at once as possible.

Jman115

Smash Journeyman
Sounds good.
From the sounds of it there are 5-8 people from Waterboro, you and Dazwa and Boxman said you would be bringing 3-5 each and the guys in lewiston said 4-5. THere are 2 more from New Hampshire who may show as well.

I am also going to be putting posters up at USM, and Gamestop/Bullmoose in Lewiston and Portland.

Jman115

Smash Journeyman
It hasn't happened yet. It is on Dec 13th. And posters will be going up at USM Monday or Tuesday. If you don't mind, let anyone who plays there know about it. The more the better.

Cambriel:
I will get the stages up tomorrow (sunday)
Also, if anyone feels a stage should be added or taken away let me know. This is my first tourney that I have hosted and I am more than open to suggestions.

aqua421

Smash Apprentice
ill prolly go to this and bring 2 other people...

as for the stages... im thinking starter stages should only be Final Destination, Battlefield, yoshi island, and smashville... im also not a fan of pokemon stadium 2 or greenhill zone, but thats just me...

C.Awesum

Smash Cadet
wow lots of tourneys in maine this month good thing i live in maine
ill try to make this one also :D

Jman115

Smash Journeyman
We'll be having brawl and melee singles. There are melee tourneys almost every weekend.
As for the stages, anyone else not like pokemon stadium 2 and green hill? I can remove them.

Jman115

Smash Journeyman
sounds good.

I updated stage selection. Let me know if there are any addtiions/subtraction suggestions.

Banks

Smash Hero
for melee i assume, if you run it, that you will use normal rules that everyone uses. mostly everyone knows them already so you don't need to list them

Jman115

Smash Journeyman
updated the first page a bit with entry fee updates, melee rules and begging people to please bring setups. More setups we have, the more tourneys we can get through.

Jman115

Smash Journeyman
So Banks and Dazwa are bringing wii's / tv's
I will be
My friend will be
anyone else?

Jman115

Smash Journeyman
where are you coming from that you will need housing? I may have some room, I'd have to check with my girlfriend to see if she is cool with it.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
It is actually doubtful that I will make this.
I will likely make LOBSTER3 though.

Gonna try showing up anyways.

Jman115

Smash Journeyman
Hopefully we will see you there, if not Ill be at lobster as well.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
Me and my friend are up in Brunswick (Bowdoin College) and we are interested in attending but we dont have a ride. If we can get a ride there and back, I might be able to promise you a tv and a Wii.

Jman115

Smash Journeyman
Is there a bus you can take? Would you be willing to pay for gas if someone came to pick you up. I can talk to my friends and see if someone is willing to pick you up. How many friends will you bring?

Top Bottom