• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lycia Alliance: Roy Legacy Support Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Valid: K. Rool, Isaac, Wolf, Inklings, Roy
Invalid: Bayonetta, Shovel Knight, Banjo, Snake, Ice Climbers, Ridley, Waluigi, Rayman
Idk: Shantae, Paper Mario

Ones I'd like: K.Rool, Isaac, Wolf, Roy, Snake, Paper Mario.
I could care less for the rest, but I wouldn't mind them in.

Bayonetta's too much of a sexual character by nature for Smash Bros. and her games aren't exactly for a family audience, the rest are self-explanatory.

I count the koopalings as reps, too. 8 separately voiced characters with a model each and Xander clips.

I don't see a point in voting for Assist Trophies, Pokeball spawns, or stage bosses, but I don't want to criticize for who they vote for.

A buddy actually mentioned to me his thoughts on Isaac potentially being planned for DLC or being on the original roster due to the AT cut just a few hours ago.

Last edited:

Adeptmune

Smash Apprentice
For Isaac, a theory I have is that he didn't return as an AT because he's potentially being considered for DLC. Perhaps they also want to get people's thoughts on this, which is why the ballot could help. So, I think he has a great chance since he's a pretty popular character. I would prefer Matthew, but I'd be fine with Isaac as well.

I would love to see Isaac and Roy cuz Earth 'n Fire Boys, lol. Seriously, I don't know why, but I could imagine those two making an awesome team.
This is actually the main reason I'm okay with Isaac's AT being cut. At first, I was upset, but as soon as they revealed that Mewtwo would be DLC, I was like "Ohooohh wait this is an opportunity!"
I'd rather see Isaac over Matthew because Isaac has been in every Golden Sun game, and was the protagonist of the first (and playable in the second).

And yes, Isaac/Roy combo would make me such a happy Smasher. I would be too excited for my own good, probably.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
For Isaac, a theory I have is that he didn't return as an AT because he's potentially being considered for DLC. Perhaps they also want to get people's thoughts on this, which is why the ballot could help. So, I think he has a great chance since he's a pretty popular character. I would prefer Matthew, but I'd be fine with Isaac as well.

I would love to see Isaac and Roy cuz Earth 'n Fire Boys, lol. Seriously, I don't know why, but I could imagine those two making an awesome team.
I have a similar theory for Wolf, Mewtwo, Roy, and Lucas.

These 4 characters were extremely popular pre-release and Sakurai had to be aware of the fact (more so Mewtwo who's popularity was absolutely insane with the post X/Y release). For Sakurai to say "no lel take Greninja instead" had to have some meaning. Surely they wouldn't have put him over someone like Mewtwo then (no offense to Greninja fans but it's true lol). Same thing with Roy. He was much more popular and requested by the fanbase and Lucina got over him. It made me think that some characters were being saved for DLC before the game was released.

Heck, the optimist in me wants to believe Sakurai didn't release Roy back then because he was saving a revamped Roy with his Awakening attire for post-release DLC and wanted to see how popular he was in the fanbase.

As for teams, I want to see the Roy & Roy team. The entire roster will bow down to their ROYality.

Last edited:

Adeptmune

Smash Apprentice
I have a similar theory for Wolf, Mewtwo, Roy, and Lucas.

These 4 characters were extremely popular pre-release and Sakurai had to be aware of the fact (more so Mewtwo who's popularity was absolutely insane with the post X/Y release). For Sakurai to say "no lel take Greninja instead" had to have some meaning. Surely they wouldn't have put him over someone like Mewtwo then (no offense to Greninja fans but it's true lol). Same thing with Roy. He was much more popular and requested by the fanbase and Lucina got over him. It made me think that some characters were being saved for DLC before the game was released.

Heck, the optimist in me wants to believe Sakurai didn't release Roy back then because he was saving a revamped Roy with his Awakening attire for post-release DLC and wanted to see how popular he was in the fanbase.

As for teams, I want to see the Roy & Roy team. The entire roster will bow down to their ROYality.
Every time I see "Awakening Roy" anywhere I'm instantly like YES GIVE ME. Seriously, they had my favourite character designer do his artwork and he would be the coolest looking character on the whole roster hands-down.

Also, have a like for that pun. It made me snicker.

As for stuff like Greninja over Mewtwo and Mewtwo being DLC, part of me wonders if Sakurai added more modern characters like Greninja into the initial roster just to keep it fresh and attract newer/younger players. And heck, a lot of little kids are growing up with Pokemon X/Y, so Greninja probably has more meaning to them than Mewtwo. The DLC characters are looking more like an attempt to cater to the long-time fans and older players who grew up with characters like Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy, etc. (and it's going really well so far, lmao). Same goes for any newcomers-- this is why I think that characters like Isaac and K.Rool have a good chance, even outside of fanbase support. The DLC so far has made me feel that way, anyway. Especially with the ballot. More older gamers/Smash players will vote compared to younger kids... at least, I would think so. o-o And I also think more older players will buy the DLC than younger ones. We're usually the ones with the open wallets and the credit cards, anyway, lmao.

Basically, please take our nostalgia and make bank off of it. I want Roy back and the GBA era needs reps.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
IDK. Mewtwo was a big character in one of the recent movie's and his popularity was just absurd when the character selection was happening so I don't see why he wouldn't have been popular with both casual and hardcore fans.

I second that. Revamped Roy with his Awakening attire would unleash the inner dormant fanboy in me and I would break my monitor due to me frantically throwing my wallet at the screen.

Adeptmune

Smash Apprentice
Well, I said "younger" and "older" fans, not "casual" and "hardcore" ones. C;
Like with any Pokemon game, the starters (and the poster-legendaries) are the ones that people remember the most. I remember the first time I played Pokemon Blue and got my Squirtle/Blastoise-- same thing goes for younger kids who play X/Y and get Froakie/Greninja. So it was probably a way to get the attention of younger people, since ooooh starter Pokemon, and Gen 6 representation (since all of the other playable 'Mon are from Gen 1 with one from Gen 4). I also heard that Sakurai specifically really liked Greninja... don't remember where I heard that though (and I'm too tired to look for the source right now).

I'm pretty sure my inner fangirl has been awake for a while now. I'm throwing my wallet at the screen already and nothing is happening. :'C Must acquire.

Well, I said "younger" and "older" fans, not "casual" and "hardcore" ones. C;
Like with any Pokemon game, the starters (and the poster-legendaries) are the ones that people remember the most. I remember the first time I played Pokemon Blue and got my Squirtle/Blastoise-- same thing goes for younger kids who play X/Y and get Froakie/Greninja. So it was probably a way to get the attention of younger people, since ooooh starter Pokemon, and Gen 6 representation (since all of the other playable 'Mon are from Gen 1 with one from Gen 4). I also heard that Sakurai specifically really liked Greninja... don't remember where I heard that though (and I'm too tired to look for the source right now).

I'm pretty sure my inner fangirl has been awake for a while now. I'm throwing my wallet at the screen already and nothing is happening. :'C Must acquire.
My first starter was Charmander, but Cyndaquil and Chimchar are the only ones I'm fond of enough to truly recall ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Especially Cyndaquil. I freaked out when my local walmart had a plushie of it.
If Cyndaquil/Quilava/Typhlosion were playable in Smash, I'd easily be playing them as much as Roy. I'm still salty over Pichu repping Gen 2 in Melee before they could.

:155:

Now to leave this before I go to bed.

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
A cool idea for Roy would be combining the Awakening and original designs in the same vein as how Fox combines his Star Fox 64 and Command designs (while also throwing some original aspects).

Original design: http://serenesforest.net/wp-content/gallery/binding-blade/path-of-radiance-gallery/roy.png
Awakening design: http://serenesforest.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/roy-full.jpg
Just don't give him funny headvan ribbons and bit of a rogue-ish hero clothing and we're good.

Last edited:

MoveMan1

Smash Journeyman
But Marth still didn't have his awakening outfit. And I think Ike didn't have his either...

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
But Marth still didn't have his awakening outfit. And I think Ike didn't have his either...
They have their latest designs discounting Awakening's DLC.

Ike's design is from FE Radiant Dawn (the 10th game).

Of course, going by this precedence, it means that, should Roy return, he likely will have the design from his game, FE6.

inb4 but Roy is already in Smash... :^^^^^^)))
sup Finn and Murgin's weird friend ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

They didn't really need it. Roy's the only potential veteran without a sequel appearance. Marth and Ike's DLC costumes kinda suck, especially in comparison to Roy's and their own sequel appearances, and they both had sequel costumes to draw from anyways. I can see Melee/FE6 Master Lord, Awakening Mercenary, or potentially a Binding Blade sequel costume used. It's a far-fetched idea but it's possible for a sequel. I personally think the Awakening mercenary with the Sword of Seals would be incredibly epic, so I'm gonna go vote for that right now since I never gave input on costume preference. I mainly want to vote for it because I feel it'd anger less Roy haters or those indifferent to Roy if he had a new appearance.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
I mainly want to vote for it because I feel it'd anger less Roy haters or those indifferent to Roy if he had a new appearance.
Same reason why I put a pic of Roy's Awakening design right in the beginning of the OP. :laugh: If I used a pic of Melee Roy (maybe even FE6) instead, I kinda imagined Roy haters coming to this thread, seeing that picture right in their face, and complaining all like, "OMG Roy sux!!"

I feel like his Awakening design was generally well received. So new appearance + new Smash game = Roy haters being a lot more... well, I think it would quiet them up (especially if Roy were to get some new moves). Who knows what design they'd use, but whatever it is, it'll be awesome.

Last edited:

CamZ

Smash Apprentice
So I was at the Artwork Emporium forum and I found a thread where the OP was asking for requests for some Smash Ballot Sigs. Of course I had to ask for Our Boy Roy and I think he did a fantastic job!

His name is RedFlyNinja, so give him a shot if you want a sig for a different character.

royalblue

Smash Cadet
A cool idea for Roy would be combining the Awakening and original designs in the same vein as how Fox combines his Star Fox 64 and Command designs (while also throwing some original aspects).

Original design: http://serenesforest.net/wp-content/gallery/binding-blade/path-of-radiance-gallery/roy.png
Awakening design: http://serenesforest.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/roy-full.jpg
That's...actually a really cool idea. I had always thought of it in terms of one costume or the other, but never considered combining them. I've always been really hung up on wanting his costume to still be based off FE6 just so he was repping his own game instead of Awakening (and then have the Awakening costume as an alt, because it's simply too awesome to not include somehow). But combining the two could produce a happy medium.

In the end I'm sure I'd be happy with whatever. His Melee outfit is good for nostalgia, but his mercenary outfit can better represent him growing and changing over the years just like Marth and Ike have. I know the design team would come up with something amazing no matter what route they decided to go.

Chris_Skorniak

Smash Apprentice
NNID
hyperknux333
3DS FC
5301-0082-9828
I would love for him to have the Original costume and have the colour pallete that is my avatar. I love this colour a lot and i think its a nice touch to Roy.

Boo Jr.

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BooJunior00
3DS FC
4613-8845-7527

That would be amazing! I totally support this.

By the way, I'm voting for Roy at least twice a day, Sakurai will hate me! ^^;

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
This is something that's been on my mind for some time so I thought I would get your opinions on this.

Do you think PM might have killed any chance Roy had at making it in back? I can't help but feel it had some role in it.

This is something that's been on my mind for some time so I thought I would get your opinions on this.

Do you think PM might have killed any chance Roy had at making it in back? I can't help but feel it had some role in it.
With Mewtwo and Lucas's return, as veterans that are already in Project M to fill some of the niche Project M already has, I highly doubt it.

I theorized something really long ago that's been holding true so far:

PM:
>Roy trailer
>Mewtwo confirmed a bit later as another returning fighter with the 3.0 update
>Mario gets a Dr. Mario alt a bit later with the announcement of alt costumes coming to 3.0

Sm4sh:
>Dr. Mario on the roster
>Mewtwo confirmed as DLC with the 1.0.6 update coming (or higher #, idk)
>??? (Lucas so far)

Think of it all in reverse order.

Oh snap

PM's actually been my main source of hope for Roy.

Also, here's a simple image I did for online play support:

Last edited:

Adeptmune

Smash Apprentice

Okay, you got me curious, so I doodled it to see how it might look.
And now I want it.
Pls you guys keep making me want things. ;-;
edit: also i keep drawing him left handed, Awakening art has ruined me for right-handed Roy

Last edited:
And now I want it.
edit: also i keep drawing him left handed, Awakening art has ruined me for right-handed Roy
that **** is super sexy, you alright if I link it in a ballot submission?

Adeptmune

Smash Apprentice
that **** is super sexy, you alright if I link it in a ballot submission?
Oh gosh, uh, sure. ;-; But ezimba removes images after 30 days (or 60 days or something, I don't remember for sure), so let me get you a more permanent link (and a bigger version lmao)...
I might fix it up sometime and make colour ideas because it sounds it would be a lot of fun vv" but here you go!
It's a long shot, but if anything even remotely close to this ever got used in Sm4sh, I'd probably die.

Oh gosh, uh, sure. ;-; But ezimba removes images after 30 days (or 60 days or something, I don't remember for sure), so let me get you a more permanent link (and a bigger version lmao)...
I might fix it up sometime and make colour ideas because it sounds it would be a lot of fun vv" but here you go!
It's a long shot, but if anything even remotely close to this ever got used in Sm4sh, I'd probably die.
Thank you so much. I'll go ahead and send this, and once a colored version(s) is completed, I'd like to send it in if that's still alright.

I see that Facebook link ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
@ dy831532sssfjhhggb2224523 dy831532sssfjhhggb2224523

I guess what I meant by that was having him in the game might have lowered his chances because of Nintendo's stance to PM. Maybe i'm just over thinking things.

@ Adeptmune Adeptmune

Love the design and I think it should be Roy's attire if he was made DLC. I just really want a revamped Flare Blade to look like this.
Overhead charge looks a lot more better than the shoulder charge that he did in Melee IMO. Also him lunging the blade towards his opponent instead of slamming his sword on the ground looks a lot more cooler personally.

Last edited:
@ dy831532sssfjhhggb2224523 dy831532sssfjhhggb2224523

I guess what I meant by that was having him in the game might have lowered his chances because of Nintendo's stance to PM. Maybe i'm just over thinking things.

@ Adeptmune Adeptmune

Love the design and I think it should be Roy's attire if he was made DLC. I just really want a revamped Flare Blade to look like this.
Overhead charge looks a lot more better than the shoulder charge that he did in Melee IMO. Also him lunging the blade towards his opponent instead of slamming his sword on the ground looks a lot more cooler personally.
Even if Nintendo hates PM, I think they'd try and bring in the popular PM-exclusive characters in order to spite the team. You know, to do it the way they think is right, and to pull in some of PM's audience. A lot of PM players play Roy in PM and not Melee because he's low tier in Melee, so if Nintendo hyped him up and showed some improvements, they could draw in that crowd. I wouldn't be surprised, seeing how Mewtwo and Dr. Mario were brought back when they were some of the biggest selling points of 3.0, and Mewtwo was never popular competitively in Melee.

I do love that overhead charge so much, it was one of my favorite things about Roy charging his fsmash in Thany's Brawl PSA. I need to send in some declone ideas now that you bring it up.

@ Adeptmune Adeptmune , here's what I sent:
A friend drew Roy, so I wanted to send in her art:

https://scontent-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/h...=0f4dde0e9f2ceb21a3b071448796915f&oe=552BAA48

I really like how she mixed together his apperances! It looks great, and it would fit in with Marth and Ike.

It would be epic if Roy was decloned, with an appearance like that fusing together his Binding Blade and Awakening apparel. I don't think anyone would be against Roy at that point.

Adeptmune

Smash Apprentice
Thank you so much. I'll go ahead and send this, and once a colored version(s) is completed, I'd like to send it in if that's still alright.

I see that Facebook link ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
No problem vwv" I'm in a Roy mood, so the coloured version might get done sooner than I thought it would (who needs sleep anyway?) but my head is throbbing, so there's that.

Also. You see no Facebook link. >o Take your Lenny face elsewhere. Eheh.

And the message sounds awesome. C: Thanks for wanting to send in my sketch, lmao. Maybe Sakurai-senpai will notice it. And thanks SMX too. |D

As for Flare Blade, please that overhead charge. It looks so cool. Also a call back to FE6 is always welcome in my book.
And I don't think Roy being in PM hurts him in the slightest. If anything, it seems like something that would help him, simply because it shows his potential and also made his fanbase grow. So yeah. <3

royalblue

Smash Cadet
And now I want it.
Oh my, yes please! I'd be more than happy to see something like this as his outfit. @ Adeptmune Adeptmune this is amazing, I'm drooling all over my keyboard again (you really need to stop making me do this, this is the second one I've ruined this way)!

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
You know I just thought of something. A lot of Roy's haters complain about Roy only being popular in Smash and not FE when it comes to people requesting him to return to the series.

Technically, the first game Roy appeared in was Super Smash Bros Melee. Technically speaking, isn't that justifiable for people who haven't played FE to want him to return in Sm4sH?

Adeptmune

Smash Apprentice
@ royalblue royalblue -- Stop drooling all over your keyboards!! xD Ahaha.

Uh, I woke up this morning to an interesting thing on deviantART. My Roy sprite I made just a short while ago for you guys got a Daily Deviation. So uh.
The last thing I expected was for the Roy sprite to get any sort of recognition like that. Maybe that will drum up some interest?! Hopefully... The views/favs have skyrocketed suddenly, so at least it's getting a lot of attention. (Is this like the Yeah! equivalent to deviantART? lmao.)

You know I just thought of something. A lot of Roy's haters complain about Roy only being popular in Smash and not FE when it comes to people requesting him to return to the series.

Technically, the first game Roy appeared in was Super Smash Bros Melee. Technically speaking, isn't that justifiable for people who haven't played FE to want him to return in Sm4sH?
Short answer: Yes.
Long-ish answer: Absolutely of course. :Y Roy is a part of Smash Bros. history, whether haters want to admit it or not. If anything, Roy is more of a Smash Bros. character than pretty much anyone else, seeing as though Melee was technically his debut game. Those are my thoughts on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom