• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Louisiana Thread: Flarefox Forever - We are alive.

×MÁR× the best diddy

Smash Apprentice
Whose in charge of the smash club at LSU? Because I've officially made it my mission to figure out whatever smash he plays and purposely go out of my way to beat him in the gayest/most disrespectful methods available in said game. I'm so sick of Melee and PM getting spotlight treatment at something called the "smash" club. All smash games should be treated equally. While it's common knowledge that I don't like Melee or particularly enjoy PM I at least acknowledge them and I acknowledge the work people put into those said games to become good at them and I have 0 respect for anyone who withholds said games from a lineup because "I think no one will show up" or "those games are bad" I also don't respect anyone who doesn't give doubles the proper respect it deserves at having it's own meta game and set of skills that goes along with it. If one smash game at an event has doubles. They should all have doubles or none of them should.

VVB

SD Champ
Whose in charge of the smash club at LSU? Because I've officially made it my mission to figure out whatever smash he plays and purposely go out of my way to beat him in the gayest/most disrespectful methods available in said game. I'm so sick of Melee and PM getting spotlight treatment at something called the "smash" club. All smash games should be treated equally. While it's common knowledge that I don't like Melee or particularly enjoy PM I at least acknowledge them and I acknowledge the work people put into those said games to become good at them and I have 0 respect for anyone who withholds said games from a lineup because "I think no one will show up" or "those games are bad" I also don't respect anyone who doesn't give doubles the proper respect it deserves at having it's own meta game and set of skills that goes along with it. If one smash game at an event has doubles. They should all have doubles or none of them should.
wat.

×MÁR× the best diddy

Smash Apprentice
I can read it just fine without being salty, which is making me doubt you understand the term "salty".

Your opinion following your statement, is in fact, salty.
Haha, I'm not the one with the aggro comments and replies .-. Are you in charge of the LSU club? I feel as though he was the only one I was specifically calling out. As I said before everything else is an opinion take it or leave it. If people take my opinions seriously I, honestly, don't mind being called salty or even butthurt but whatever floats your boat bro.

'V'

Smash Lord
MAR always talks about how he hates Melee and P:M because they get more recognition than Brawl and now Smash 4. Nothing out of the ordinary here. Personally if I were MAR, I wouldn't even bother getting so worked up. Community's full of trolls and the game's not really worth a quarter to go through such drama.

iceman48

Smash Journeyman
Wait, so there IS Sm4sh. Are you sure it isn't a time issue?

Edit: Follow up question, what's the average player count for the games (each one separate and teams separate)? Not exact, just an estimate. Unless you can get exact.

Last edited:

heyitshoward

Smash Apprentice
Hmm. At the last (free) LSU Monthly which features only singles:

Smash 4 singles - ~80
PM singles - ~60
Melee singles - ~45
N64 singles - 24

The tournament ran over time. It started perhaps 30 minutes late, and was scheduled to end at 11. It didn't end until like 12:30 or 1. This was after N64 was changed to single elimination 3 stock btw lol.

×MÁR× the best diddy

Smash Apprentice
Hmm. At the last (free) LSU Monthly which features only singles:

Smash 4 singles - ~80
PM singles - ~60
Melee singles - ~45
N64 singles - 24

The tournament ran over time. It started perhaps 30 minutes late, and was scheduled to end at 11. It didn't end until like 12:30 or 1. This was after N64 was changed to single elimination 3 stock btw lol.

So let's exclude doubles from our biggest smash turnout and have doubles for the other two. I'm sure no one will mind.......I really am curious the line of reasoning used to come up with some of these decisions, if I had to assume it's a time thing where no one can be happy so we'll please the minority/games the TOs play. Whoever the TO for this tourny is, don't get the wrong idea, I appreciate what you're doing and I appreciate this tourny, but if no one else is going to give feedback on how stupid this decision was I'll happily provide it.

'V'

Smash Lord
BUT, I suppose I COULD give some real input:

Some Smash tourneys (especially ours) focus way too much on the number of events that take place throughout the course of one day, and that's why things go over time. It's good that you can draw in a bunch of interest, but there's just not enough time in the world to try to cram it all in one day, especially if you get a bunch of entrants. Bracket pools help, but only so much.

Yes it'd be nice to have events for every Smash game, but the fact is that it's just not possible unless LA starts doing 2-day events (which LA has a loooooong way to go before that ever happens). From the Smash 4 perspective, I can see why that would be hella annoying.

heyitshoward

Smash Apprentice
Keep in mind that the last LSU Monthly was a free tournament while the tournament this Saturday has an entry fee. My gut says Smash 4 has the fewest entries for money tournies lol. N64 also got cut completely iirc

×MÁR× the best diddy

Smash Apprentice
Keep in mind that the last LSU Monthly was a free tournament while the tournament this Saturday has an entry fee. My gut says Smash 4 has the fewest entries for money tournies lol. N64 also got cut completely iirc
I like how were assuming low attendance over a game that hasn't even been out for a full 6 months, "hey, wow smash 4 had the most attendance at our last tournament. Judging from this data.....we can assume that it will have the lowest attendance at the next one so we'll start singles for it at 10am so no one out of state or coming home from vacation can come. What's that? Doubles? Haha no one takes doubles seriously, besides according to the data which was pure conjecture 10 minutes ago we'll have more attendance for PM and Melee. So how about this we'll have smash 4 singles in the morning so we can get the trash game out of the way and then have the real tourny for PM and Melee people. The rules? Hmmm the attendance will already be small so let's amp it up a notch and try custom rules for the first time cause heck, Evo is doing it and they're known for listening to input and doing what everyone wants. Items on? No, that's just silly"

Guzzler Guzzler

Melee Elitist
When we originally had Smash 4 at 7:30 PM we had people complain about it so we moved it up. Because Smash 4 can't be run off a Wii or CRT it doesn't make sense to have it between Melee or PM so it's either first or last. We also originally had customs OFF but there was also a huge outcry about that. Do you see a trend here? Literally no matter what we do you people won't be pleased. If you had any TOing experience I think you would see how hard it is to run three events in one day, let alone five or six.

I think you need to keep in mind that we're running these tournaments for the love of the community, and not for our own personal benefit. I am literally in no way going to be profiting from this tournament at all. On Saturday I'm going to have to wake up early, lug a **** ton of CRT's and setups to Tureaud, and then stay until 10 PM after I TO all the events and watch over the stream. All for free. So please tell me Mar why I should continue to put up with you.

×MÁR× the best diddy

Smash Apprentice
I think you're missing my number one issue, which you still haven't addressed. Why do PM and Melee get doubles but smash 4 does not? That is what truly frustrates me of all the things you guys are doing and if not for that I straight up would have just went with the flow and ignored everything else. That is my problem. That is the issue I have. And as for the tournament, I appreciate what you're doing and I'm sorry for giving you a hard time but I'm not alone on this and I'm speaking for a number of people when I say doubles is awesome and is literally half the reason I play the game. And I will be vocal when my school that hosts some of the only tournaments I can attend for months at a time screws it over. If it's a matter of help and time. I'll gladly donate my Saturday to help you guys setup in order to get the full amount of enjoyment from a tournament. I'll get up this Saturday even if you want help just ask. I play for fun too so you're not special for saying that. Everyone does.

Last edited:

Guzzler Guzzler

Melee Elitist
Who do you think we are? Do you think LSU is paying us or something? We started this club last year when we found out the old smash club had dissolved years ago.

I never said I play for fun either so don't take my words out of context.

If we keep having to put up with your bull**** and aggressive attitude we will consider banning you, so consider this a warning.

×MÁR× the best diddy

Smash Apprentice
Who do you think we are? Do you think LSU is paying us or something? We started this club last year when we found out the old smash club had dissolved years ago.

I never said I play for fun either so don't take my words out of context.

If we keep having to put up with your bull**** and aggressive attitude we will consider banning you, so consider this a warning.

So it's come to this. You're going to ban me for having an opinion? You're going to ban me for calling out things I don't think are fair? I think you mistake aggression for concern. I haven't spammed you guys. I haven't trolled you guys. The only thing I've done is reply when you try to justify unfair actions albeit in a sarcastic manner. I even offered to help when you said it was going to be a lot of work. It was an interesting history lesson though....sorry for offending you lol.

Top Bottom