• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The look of the new Character Select Screen

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
Something I thought up that some people haven't brought up yet is the new look of the SSB4 character select screen. Seeing this screen is probably the most awe-filled experience before you fight! How do you think Sakurai will implement the screen and how would you like the screen to look like? I think Sakurai would go with a less bright select screen that Brawl had because that felt a bit underwhelming in comparison to a more dark, tough-looking select screen that shouts: "GET READY TO EFF SOME STUFF UP" I would like to see animated character pictures form when you select the character's portrait. A more arcadey style is my taste as well. Your opinions people?

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I kind of liked the selection screen's design from all the games.

Maybe they could include a few different designs, and impliment an option that allows you to change it to suit your style.

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999

Maybe they could include a few different designs, and impliment an option that allows you to change it to suit your style.
^I like this idea a lot! Maybe this is one of the customizable options Sakurai is talking about, if not it would still be a nice little thing to have

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
If the Smash Bros Dojo is anything to go by, I think the layout would look something similar to that. If I recall correctly, Brawls Dojo had a white theme going on which the main game ended up with as well for Brawl. I think I vaguely recall Melee's dojo having a more blue theme and that's what that game had too. Although Smash 64's didn't have a black theme so I don't think this necessarily counts for anything.

Although I agree with KingofPhantoms that I would love the option to change the theme's look to whatever you like. Maybe even have an overall Mario, Zelda, Pokemon etc theme? That would be pretty neat....

Oddyesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Oddyesy
I, for one, like the Brawl select stage screen. If I recall correctly, it does go dark after every picks their character, so that is your cue to get ready to
"GET READY TO EFF SOME STUFF UP"

Also, I really don't care how the character select screen is, as long as it feels epic and has a sense of grandeur about it. Although.. I think that IS a bit much to be asking of a select character screen..

Oddyesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Oddyesy

This, also. I really liked the screen from Melee, so if we could change it to that, I'd be a-ok. But I hope Sm4sh completely exceeds it.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Although I agree with KingofPhantoms that I would love the option to change the theme's look to whatever you like. Maybe even have an overall Mario, Zelda, Pokemon etc theme? That would be pretty neat....
Among the options should be one for every franchise with a playable character.

Maybe they could be unlockable like the Friend Icons in Brawl.

TewnLeenk

Can pick up a boulder with relative ease
BRoomer
I just want the spinning character models at the bottom of the screen when you hover your cursor over a character's selection box from Smash Bros 64.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I just want the spinning character models at the bottom of the screen when you hover your cursor over a character's selection box from Smash Bros 64.
Haha yeah I agree, I liked those and I would like to see that return. And whenever you choose a character they do a quick pose to show their ready for battle. :p

Among the options should be one for every franchise with a playable character.

Maybe they could be unlockable like the Friend Icons in Brawl.
It would be neat to unlock more themes as you go along yes. And yes of course every franchise that has a playable character should have their own theme. ^_^

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I want something completely new rather than a potentially wasted effort at catering to nostalgiabums. Though I will say I liked darker colors better.

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
I liked the character models showing up but I also liked the character portraits! How do I choose?! ;_;

Oddyesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Oddyesy
I think it'd be cooler if whoever you picked did an action (like Ike would swing his sword (Mind you, Ike's sword swinging can look better than everyone else's,)) and you would hear their their quote or whatever.

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
A character doing a unique action sounds fun and nerdgasm worthy :3 Like the Villager doing a mischievous taunt from his game, or Luigi looking surprised you picked him, or Olimar plucking the Pikmin to be used in battle

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
I like the fonts but the colors and design look way too simple for me.

It's an really outdated picture of a custom CSS still in progress but I like the idea of this one by ASF1nk.
It's alright. Wonky colors and consistency, but the hexagonal pattern and player selection arc is a change-up. The sad thing though is that it looks like they were changes made for its own sake, rather than strictly because they are good or comprehensible.

SJS's cogs and gears are a far superior aesthetic:

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
Mr Jackpot's and Quilt's are my favorites. I still like the boxes that they used in Brawl and Melee (I am not sure what 64 looks like so STOP YELLING), but I would like something like the cogs from Quilt and the Characters on top like in Mr. Jackpot's, along with the melee backround. Obviously, people will disagree with me, but this is just my preference.

Oddyesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Oddyesy
It's alright. Wonky colors and consistency, but the hexagonal pattern and player selection arc is a change-up. The sad thing though is that it looks like they were changes made for its own sake, rather than strictly because they are good or comprehensible.

SJS's cogs and gears are far superior aesthetic:

Eh, I don't really like it all that much.

I like the fonts but the colors and design look way too simple for me.

It's an really outdated picture of a custom CSS still in progress but I like the idea of this one by ASF1nk.
I think that this would be great, but it'd be a little hard to find your character at first. And I quite prefer it over the gears and cogs.

Renji64

Smash Lord
I would like a better character select and the fighting stance animations from the n64 version Brawl's menus felt bland.

moneyfrenzy

Smash Ace
-Honey comb
-regular
-fighters that move slightly in their box
-strike a stance when picked
only showing franchises and when you choose a franchise the characters from there will pop up

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
What in the.....what...why....huh....no....my eyes....

That is beyond crazy.

Although as moneyfrenzy said, I agree on a honeycomb style for character portraits.
Sandbag is on that list. Not lying here.

The honeycomb style looks pretty cool, a nice change from the basic squares.

LinkFromAFuture

Smash Rookie
How about when you select character they do badass taunt in that small "card" thingy and after that they start posing in a hardcore way.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Sakurai always seems to have similar menu layouts in his games. I'm thinking of a Banjo Kazooie style menu. It'd be cool if you were in the room from smash 64, or the trophy display room from melee, moving the joystick shifts the camera's view to different objects in the room. Open up the toybox to see all the smash bros dolls laying in there. A HUD appears at the bottom of the screen with trophy stands for each player and the other options. You pick the character up with your hand cursor and they dangle limply. But when you put them on your trophy stand icon they come to life, and start doing their battle animation. It'd be cool to see the toybox fill up as you unlock characters.

Seeing as how that concept is way out there, keep everything the same, but have illustrated character portraits instead of the 3D models. Unless they can quickly load in the character model you select and have them appear at the bottom when you select em.

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
Sakurai always seems to have similar menu layouts in his games. I'm thinking of a Banjo Kazooie style menu. It'd be cool if you were in the room from smash 64, or the trophy display room from melee, moving the joystick shifts the camera's view to different objects in the room. Open up the toybox to see all the smash bros dolls laying in there. A HUD appears at the bottom of the screen with trophy stands for each player and the other options. You pick the character up with your hand cursor and they dangle limply. But when you put them on your trophy stand icon they come to life, and start doing their battle animation. It'd be cool to see the toybox fill up as you unlock characters.

Seeing as how that concept is way out there, keep everything the same, but have illustrated character portraits instead of the 3D models. Unless they can quickly load in the character model you select and have them appear at the bottom when you select em.
Well it'd be a bit awkward finding a WFT or ZSS doll xD

Mr.Showtime

Smash Ace
Yea I'm sure the basic hand-cursor will be in the next installment of Smash. Depending on how many characters are going to be, it'll be interesting on how the layout will look. He might still stick with the basic square portraits since its simple and easy to do. I kind of like the announcer speaking the character's name. So many times I laughed at "SELDA!"...good times.

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
Yea I'm sure the basic hand-cursor will be in the next installment of Smash. Depending on how many characters are going to be, it'll be interesting on how the layout will look. He might still stick with the basic square portraits since its simple and easy to do. I kind of like the announcer speaking the character's name. So many times I laughed at "SELDA!"...good times.
If they include character models back into the character select screen, do you think they will mix things up and characters announce themselves, like selecting Luigi and him saying, "Mama Luigi!"?

Mr.Showtime

Smash Ace
If they include character models back into the character select screen, do you think they will mix things up and characters announce themselves, like selecting Luigi and him saying, "Mama Luigi!"?

Oh that would be great, but Nintendo doesn't really follow Western internet memes. Besides Reggie cause he's amazing!

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908

SJS's cogs and gears are a far superior aesthetic:

I agree, I like the gear look.
A lot actually. I can't think of anything bad to say about it.

Oddyesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Oddyesy
Oh that would be great, but Nintendo doesn't really follow Western internet memes. Besides Reggie cause he's amazing!
He's actually the Regginator.

I agree, I like the gear look.
A lot actually. I can't think of anything bad to say about it.
I don't know what about it, but it's not as visually pleasing to me as to all of you guys.

Top Bottom