• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lone Samus

Mervis

Smash Journeyman
I went to a local today and I was the only Samus main. It's kind of cool feeling like a rare mythical creature, but at the same time I'm kind of bummed. I feel like no one is really on my team. There's loads of Spacies, Marths, Sheiks, etc. I feel like they can openly talk about strategies and whatnot, yet I'm all on my own. As far as I know, there's about 3 Samus mains in my entire area, and none of them are really prominent. (Looking at you Pizzacato)

I love Samus. I don't ever want to be that guy that throws away the main he/she loved to play just to win games with Fox. I hope one day I can reach a point of success that inspires people to pick up the character they want to play.

JerkPhil

Smash Journeyman
I've been the only good Samus in Sweden for three years. The cool thing about it is that people know who you are. Last tournament people, even some out of country, I hadn't heard of came up to me like if I was some kind of celebrity.

Continue doing your thing and eventually you'll get recognition for it.

Mervis

Smash Journeyman
I guess I also just want more interaction from Samus players in general. The Samus boards are kind of slow, and I really want the Irc to be a thing, but it's not.

pizzacato

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
coda#0
NNID
Pizzacato
Oh yeah I forgot about the irc thing. Mervis, sorry man should met me while I was in my summer of smash in DFW(Summer '14).
I went to a lot of IaB's, played at Dime 10: made bracket, took a game off GG | Arc.

Catchup with @Thin Mint, she'll tell you all about me. <3

Last edited:

Litt

Samus
dude. Are those shots fired or what? lol MM me
;)
Lmao sounded like shots fired to me ;p, but I do agree
I went to a local today and I was the only Samus main. It's kind of cool feeling like a rare mythical creature, but at the same time I'm kind of bummed. I feel like no one is really on my team. There's loads of Spacies, Marths, Sheiks, etc. I feel like they can openly talk about strategies and whatnot, yet I'm all on my own. As far as I know, there's about 3 Samus mains in my entire area, and none of them are really prominent. (Looking at you Pizzacato)

I love Samus. I don't ever want to be that guy that throws away the main he/she loved to play just to win games with Fox. I hope one day I can reach a point of success that inspires people to pick up the character they want to play.
Whenever I am at tournies, it does feel kinda rare to be that samus guy, I do hate it thought people people come up to me and ask me if I remember them because I normally don't remember anyone at tournies for reasons of the green samus charge shots :/ lmao

xbombr

Smash Ace
One of the reasons I ended up choosing Samus when I first started playing smash at my local weeklies was because I had a semi-decent amount of practice with her and there was literally no one else playing her except to mess around.

I actually had a bit of success against less experienced players using her that I didn't have with Sheik (my dual main). Playing against the more patient players who didn't let me outspace them kinda sucked, but that was primarily the result of them knowing how to play the match up. Just remember, the less Samus players there are in your area, the less experience people have against you. However, it works both ways, if you plan to play people outside of your region who have experience against Samus, you'll have less experience against people who know how to fight you.

I kinda wished I had other players to share strategies with in person as well, but I ended up developing some of my own stuff through trial and error and getting wrecked by Falcons over and over. Still sucked at the match up (as far as actually winning goes) by the time I quit going, but I was keeping the games much closer.

However, Samus is versatile enough and has a meta that is underdeveloped to the point where damn near everyone plays her differently anyway. I ended up with some sort of hybrid style that focuses on zoning, spacing, and situational offense. I've seen Samus styles that are both more offensive and technical than mine and more campy and defensive than mine. Unless you had a Samus in your area that played a similar style, I'm not sure that sharing strategies would be that helpful anyway.

Samus is cool because you're not only going to be unique within your community, but you'll likely end up unique within the Samus community as well.

Mervis

Smash Journeyman
Oh yeah I forgot about the irc thing. Mervis, sorry man should met me while I was in my summer of smash in DFW(Summer '14).
I went to a lot of IaB's, played at Dime 10: made bracket, took a game off GG | Arc.

Catchup with @Thin Mint, she'll tell you all about me. <3
Kind of off topic, but my 14 year old little brother also took a game off Arc at Dime11 (Not to downplay you, my little brother is exceptionally good). So I know how big of a deal that is.
Did you go to King of the House 3? I believe it was in late June.

Last edited:

Litt

Samus
One of the reasons I ended up choosing Samus when I first started playing smash at my local weeklies was because I had a semi-decent amount of practice with her and there was literally no one else playing her except to mess around.

I actually had a bit of success against less experienced players using her that I didn't have with Sheik (my dual main). Playing against the more patient players who didn't let me outspace them kinda sucked, but that was primarily the result of them knowing how to play the match up. Just remember, the less Samus players there are in your area, the less experience people have against you. However, it works both ways, if you plan to play people outside of your region who have experience against Samus, you'll have less experience against people who know how to fight you.

I kinda wished I had other players to share strategies with in person as well, but I ended up developing some of my own stuff through trial and error and getting wrecked by Falcons over and over. Still sucked at the match up (as far as actually winning goes) by the time I quit going, but I was keeping the games much closer.

However, Samus is versatile enough and has a meta that is underdeveloped to the point where damn near everyone plays her differently anyway. I ended up with some sort of hybrid style that focuses on zoning, spacing, and situational offense. I've seen Samus styles that are both more offensive and technical than mine and more campy and defensive than mine. Unless you had a Samus in your area that played a similar style, I'm not sure that sharing strategies would be that helpful anyway

Samus is cool because you're not only going to be unique within your community, but you'll likely end up unique within the Samus community as well.
I think its a little over the top now to say no samus plays the same... there are only so many technical things you can do, but at this point of the meta i would strongly argue most play most MUs very similar :/

ManoxMano

Smash Journeyman
It's been that way for me at the start of my career for about 4-6 months. Then like out of nowhere I hear about 3-4 more sami in my province who were making it to bracket from pools at their first tournament "uhhh where were you 6 months ago??"
They are all quite talented and I see them moving deeper in the brackets soon. The nice thing about being the only samus main is that you do not have to really worry about the competition with your other character - it's hard to ignore the voice in your head saying "Wow that other samus player placed higher then you" but it's good motivation to get better I guess

Mervis

Smash Journeyman
I don't have that other samus player to motivate me. Just a sea of space animals. It's demoralizing. It almost makes me think I have to switch characters to win

Litt

Samus
I don't have that other samus player to motivate me. Just a sea of space animals. It's demoralizing. It almost makes me think I have to switch characters to win
sir... if you think an even MU or close to that for space animals is reason to switch... then you really should. The way MUs work is given that the players are around the same level of skill (mental and tech) they will win, 50% of the time in a 50:50 Mu... If you are constantly losing to space animals, there is something fundamentally wrong with the way you are playing relative to the people you are playing and it is not your character, you have the tools to play against spacies, the question is do you use them properly and effectively? If you had said puff or sheik... beyond understandable, I just lost GF to a peach main last night who i was wrecking, who pulled out a pocket puff when he was down 0-2... fml do I need to get better at that MU

pizzacato

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
coda#0
NNID
Pizzacato
sir... if you think an even MU or close to that for space animals is reason to switch... then you really should. The way MUs work is given that the players are around the same level of skill (mental and tech) they will win, 50% of the time in a 50:50 Mu... If you are constantly losing to space animals, there is something fundamentally wrong with the way you are playing relative to the people you are playing and it is not your character, you have the tools to play against spacies, the question is do you use them properly and effectively? If you had said puff or sheik... beyond understandable, I just lost GF to a peach main last night who i was wrecking, who pulled out a pocket puff when he was down 0-2... fml do I need to get better at that MU
**** puff, lol. I go back to my OG main from 2001 for that matchup. Young Link swaggy all day.

Litt

Samus
**** puff, lol. I go back to my OG main from 2001 for that matchup. Young Link swaggy all day.
lol game 5 i went g&w, figured who the **** knows that MU and it was close but not enough

JerkPhil

Smash Journeyman
Puff is one of my favorite match ups actually. I have two good Puffs in my region with different styles, so I think I know the match up well. I wrote a guide vs Puff somewhere here on the Samus board... Although I may need to edit it. I know the match up much better now.

Mervis

Smash Journeyman
It's not that I constantly lose to spacies, it's that most players become successful by switching to them. **** that. I don't want to just win. I want to win with my favorite character. People have done it before, and I will do it again. Like I said, I just want a Samus buddy in the area. I guess the only way that will happen is to make Samus look OP and get these nerds to switch mains AGAIN.

Smash Journeyman
what there are more than 3 people who have posted in this thread, jeez

C-SAF

Smash Journeyman
"What the **** samus can recover from there?"

My favourite quote from people who have never played a half decent samus. Its good to be the only one once and a while.

Litt

Samus
"What the **** samus can recover from there?"

My favourite quote from people who have never played a half decent samus. Its good to be the only one once and a while.
Let us know when you get there... (flat out dont like you after the **** you are still going on about me and yes I am going to live up to your exectations because you still choose to hold them being an ignorant schmuck)

Edit: you wanna let this finally go and stop taking jabs at me, we can be cool, but put a little more fuel on this fire you are starting and it will be set ablaze, last warning dude. You are here which means you love the character, you are posting which means you like the scene, but if you keep poking at; a dog... bear... kid or anyone for that matter they are going to get pissed at you and lash out. I **** on one of your posts, which everyone agreed with me on and you are still going at it! Really what I am saying, I dropped that **** a long time ago, because I dont care, you got the truth handed to you, and you didnt like it, so just let it go, take what I say at face value, and stop letting your poorer judgement of my character influence the way you speak to me on here, because believe it or not, it is pretty unaimous when I post something, it is fact, beyond well supported, or I am just flat out right (sometimes trolling and insulting but there is always those others engrained in the message too)... so just stop taking jabs and let it go or we are both not going to have a good time, (well I will, people will just start hating me more again, and I guess meh what happens happens, but do you really care enough to fight over nothing?)

Last edited:

C-SAF

Smash Journeyman
Where the **** did that come from? ^
He was being a **** to a new member so I told the new member to ignore him. Now I guess he feels it was a personal "jab" at him. Posting stuff like this under all my posts doesn't really help his cause though so im just ignoring him too for the time being.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Barbie, I can't help but feel as if you're adding fuel to the fire / starting **** all by your lonesome. C-SAF's post had little/nothing to do with you that required any such response that you just gave.

Going by your analogy, we'd be shooting that dog or bear if they lashed out and likely sending that kid into therapy. Don't be like this.

ManoxMano

Smash Journeyman
LOL seriously Klit?

Edit: Thread derailment. Time to bring it back

Just found out that a region in Ontario all love playing Samus in friendlies and play her as a "secondary". Is my scene finally seeing the light?

Last edited:

Mervis

Smash Journeyman
If everyone up there is playing Samus then I'm out. I'm going back to Kirby.

Ringedge

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ringedge
LOL seriously Klit?

Edit: Thread derailment. Time to bring it back

Just found out that a region in Ontario all love playing Samus in friendlies and play her as a "secondary". Is my scene finally seeing the light?
Vancouver Island (Victoria Specifically) has something sort of like this too, but with Falcon. It's weird how some regions just unanimously like charcaters like that.

Mervis

Smash Journeyman
In North Texas it's Roy in PM. I don't think the Melee scene there has a community pocket character.
Ok I'll admit it, I play Roy in pm. It wasn't because of Sethlon I swear. I didn't even know who he was until after I started.

Litt

Samus
Barbie, I can't help but feel as if you're adding fuel to the fire / starting **** all by your lonesome. C-SAF's post had little/nothing to do with you that required any such response that you just gave.

Going by your analogy, we'd be shooting that dog or bear if they lashed out and likely sending that kid into therapy. Don't be like this.
No this was referencing another jab C-SAF took at me at another post, so I decided to take one here. Going by that analogy, if you are in school and a kid is poking another... and keeps doing it, they are going to get to a point where they arent going to take it anymore. My rude response to C-SAF here was that lashing back with a snarky mean comment, and letting him know flat out to ****ing stop or I'm going to go all out b/c while I have been remarkably nicer on here as of late, I still have a zero taking **** policy, and C-SAF is just pissy because of a post he made that I **** on (which everyone did agree with my critique, he just took personal offense to it, which he should not have) and continues to hold a grude towards me and I want to nip this in the bud before it really starts to piss me off

Last edited:

C-SAF

Smash Journeyman
No this was referencing another jab C-SAF took at me at another post, so I decided to take one here. Going by that analogy, if you are in school and a kid is poking another... and keeps doing it, they are going to get to a point where they arent going to take it anymore. My rude response to C-SAF here was that lashing back with a snarky mean comment, and letting him know flat out to ****ing stop or I'm going to go all out b/c while I have been remarkably nicer on here as of late, I still have a zero taking **** policy, and C-SAF is just pissy because of a post he made that I **** on (which everyone did agree with my critique, he just took personal offense to it, which he should not have) and continues to hold a grude towards me and I want to nip this in the bud before it really starts to piss me off
I'm not following you around slurring your name if thats what your worried about. If what your threatening me with is that you will post rudely under every post I make from now on, then you'll only be hurting yourself. Nobody else in this thread wants to hear about your hurt pride. If you want to respond, find a place that is appropriate.

Litt

Samus
I'm not following you around slurring your name if thats what your worried about. If what your threatening me with is that you will post rudely under every post I make from now on, then you'll only be hurting yourself. Nobody else in this thread wants to hear about your hurt pride. If you want to respond, find a place that is appropriate.
I never said I wanted to, you are now taking my words out of context. You have been butthurt about my crtique of your thread for a while now, and I said if you continue to make remarks about my posts in a negative light for no reason other than your distaste towards me, then we are going to have a problem. I also said that if you are willing to just let it rest already, we can be cool, and I will evaluate your posts and comment on the basis of merit rather than my opinion of you as a player/person as you were doing to me...

Last edited:

Smash Journeyman
ok guys let's calm the **** down

@ Litt Litt , you and I and everyone know that your posts, while usually well-intentioned, are worded very combatively. @ C-SAF C-SAF , I dunno if anything we say is going to change that. Let's get over it.

Last edited:

JerkPhil

Smash Journeyman
Wow seriously. Barbie PLEASE write with a nicer tone or I'll leave the Samus board for ever and stick to the IRC. If I'd want to read word fights, I could go somewhere else if needed.

You wrote some time ago
Jerk how are you so patient with people?
The question I ask is how you are not. Do you have some anger issues or some thing? For the best of Samus, and the best for this Samus forum (this is where we develop her, really) please change the way you write, or you'll be the lone Samus here.

Last edited:

pizzacato

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
coda#0
NNID
Pizzacato
Barbie just get a twitter and word off people there.
I know you can be fun, but you can also get very sour very quick.

It's just not fun anymore sometimes.

Top Bottom