• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Little Witch of Diamond City - Ashley - The Witch retreats. For now.

Kyon9898

Smash Journeyman
I find it stupid when people say "If Waluigi didn't get in, Ashley stands no chance." Like, they keep pairing Wario and Waluigi together despite Wario never having Waluigi in either of his series.

Waluigi would have not been a Wario rep, he would be one for Mario if anything. Waluigi not making it makes no weight on Ashley's chances whatsoever.

Gerrothorax

Smash Apprentice
I find it stupid when people say "If Waluigi didn't get in, Ashley stands no chance." Like, they keep pairing Wario and Waluigi together despite Wario never having Waluigi in either of his series.

Waluigi would have not been a Wario rep, he would be one for Mario if anything. Waluigi not making it makes no weight on Ashley's chances whatsoever.
It's ironic how Waluigi was specifically created to give Wario a partner, yet he's never joined Wario in any of his games.

Kyon9898

Smash Journeyman
It's probably due to the fact Waluigi isn't a fully Nintendo created character, Waluigi was created by Camelot just to give Wario a partner. Though he's become a staple for Mario's spin-off titles he probably isn't Nintendo's biggest focus.

It's ironic how Waluigi was specifically created to give Wario a partner, yet he's never joined Wario in any of his games.

Caravan of Noobs

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheCrazyPieMan
3DS FC
2621-3128-5801
Switch FC
SW-0260-3374-4829
I want to see Waluigi get a stage in a Warioware game to see his biker outfit.

WaluigiInSmoothMoves.jpg

He appeared in one microgame and it shows he has one but he's never been important enough to get official character art.

Caravan of Noobs

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheCrazyPieMan
3DS FC
2621-3128-5801
Switch FC
SW-0260-3374-4829
Do you have transparent versions?

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi

...Wait, people actually use that as an argument? What relation do Waluogi and Ashley share, outside of being in a game with Wario. Not even the same game, mind you. It's almost like they're from different series, one was created as a Mario spinoff character, and the other started in her home series and grew to be a posterchild on a number of adverts.

Ashuree

Hocus Pocus
I don't know how to make images transparent
When you're editing the Image together, don't add a white background at any point, then save the picture as a PNG instead of a JPg, Jpgs can't handle transparency and add white to any unused space by default. Also thank you very much for making these they're great!

---

Also I am with the people here and not understanding the Waluigi argument, the only thing that could be in Ashley's way would be another Warioware employee making it in. Also While Waluigi is a far more exposed character than Ashley, Ashley brings a lot more potential to the game and fills a few niches that are lacking. In my opinion of course.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
When you're editing the Image together, don't add a white background at any point, then save the picture as a PNG instead of a JPg, Jpgs can't handle transparency and add white to any unused space by default. Also thank you very much for making these they're great!

---

Also I am with the people here and not understanding the Waluigi argument, the only thing that could be in Ashley's way would be is another Warioware employee making it in. Also While Waluigi is a far more exposed character than Ashley, Ashley brings a lot more potential to the game and fills a few niches that are lacking. In my opinion of course.
And even then, is any other WarioWare employee *really* in her way? Even Sakurai has referred to her as a rising star before (apparently in a stream a couple years back?) and literally no other character in the series that isn’t already in Smash has the same kind of popularity. I’m a big enough Mona fan, but there’s just no contest.

Ashley has exposure outside of WarioWare, and has gained even more popularity than she had the critical decision point in 2015.

Last edited:

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Man how times have changed. I remember how in the Pre-Brawl era, thinking Ashley has a shot, much less making it over Mona or Jimmy T as the second WarioWare rep was looked down upon. Now today she is one of the most likely newcomers.

Last edited:

Ashuree

Hocus Pocus
Man how times have changed. I remember how in the Pre-Brawl era, thinking Ashley has a shot, much less making it over Mona or Jimmy T as the second WarioWare rep was looked down upon. Now today she is one of the most likely newcomers.
Yeah It seems most people have accepted her chances. Though I've still run into the odd person that's vehemently against the idea, particularly getting in over Mona to the point I was called a crazy person elsewhere haha.

Still you're right people have softened up to the idea greatly. Her Push in the last couple Smash games alone probably helped more than anything to get people to recognize her chances.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Yeah, I would’ve been one of those people clamoring for Mona back then, but it’s obvious after ten years that Ashley’s basically the only one besides Wario who has any kind of presence. And unlike the rest, hasn’t fallen into obscurity. (At least, relatively.)

FreshlyBakedCookies

Smash Journeyman
Wario appeared during the Brawl reveal so I guess it makes sense to speculate a second WarioWare rep was a possibility during Brawl's speculation, however, prior to Brawl not very many people were exposed to Ashley's song so choosing which WarioWare character best fit the series after Wario was a toss up.

I think Ashley's song is what separated her from the rest of the WarioWare cast. Of all the songs (and I mean ALL the songs not just WarioWare) that were remixed for Brawl Ashley's song was one of the more memorable. The guy who wrote Ashley's song was nothing less of a genius!

Anyone who played Brawl could instantly recognize Ashley's song by singing any one single line from the Chorus. Those lyrics have become embroidered in our heads. Because the lyrics of the song bounce back and forth between the Chorus and Ashley singing their parts you could sing any line from the Chorus and your friend would instantly know how to respond by singing Ashley's following line.

It's blatant Sakurai loves the song. Among the other WarioWare songs in Brawl that could have been brought back for Wii U/3DS he saved those Ashley songs like saving his favorite child in a house fire! Not only that but remixed a new Ashley song for the Japanese version!

capture.png

Even on the unfortunate day of Ashley's AT reveal Sakurai reveals her by singing her song. Without a doubt those Ashley songs will return for Smash Ultimate. Hopefully the other regions outside of Japan will receive the Japan exclusive Ashley song from the Wii U/3DS. Heck, a new remix of Ashley's song might be in the works for Smash Ultimate!

Ashuree

Hocus Pocus
Wario appeared during the Brawl reveal so I guess it makes sense to speculate a second WarioWare rep was a possibility during Brawl's speculation, however, prior to Brawl not very many people were exposed to Ashley's song so choosing which WarioWare character best fit the series after Wario was a toss up.

I think Ashley's song is what separated her from the rest of the WarioWare cast. Of all the songs (and I mean ALL the songs not just WarioWare) that were remixed for Brawl Ashley's song was one of the more memorable. The guy who wrote Ashley's song was nothing less of a genius!

Anyone who played Brawl could instantly recognize Ashley's song by singing any one single line from the Chorus. Those lyrics have become embroidered in our heads. Because the lyrics of the song bounce back and forth between the Chorus and Ashley singing their parts you could sing any line from the Chorus and your friend would instantly know how to respond by singing Ashley's following line.

It's blatant Sakurai loves the song. Among the other WarioWare songs in Brawl that could have been brought back for Wii U/3DS he saved those Ashley songs like saving his favorite child in a house fire! Not only that but remixed a new Ashley song for the Japanese version!

View attachment 149396

Even on the unfortunate day of Ashley's AT reveal Sakurai reveals her by singing her song. Without a doubt those Ashley songs will return for Smash Ultimate. Hopefully the other regions outside of Japan will receive the Japan exclusive Ashley song from the Wii U/3DS. Heck, a new remix of Ashley's song might be in the works for Smash Ultimate!

That Pic of Ashley really shows how good she looks in 3d, with a bit more polish she'd fit right in. I agree I remember her song being popular even back in brawl before she had an assist trophy.

I loved that after that above message, he had to clarify in a second Post that she was in fact an Assist and not a playable character, presumably because people jumped to the conclusion he was showing off a new playable character.

Last edited:

FreshlyBakedCookies

Smash Journeyman
That Pic of Ashley really shows how good she looks in 3d, with a bit more polish she'd fit right in. I agree I remember her song being popular even back in brawl before she had an assist trophy.

I loved that after that above message, he had to clarify in a second Post that she was in fact an Assist and not a playable character, presumably because people jumped to the conclusion he was showing off a new playable character.
mivNzF9.jpg

In Brawl you could tell the difference between assist trophies and playable characters. Little Mac was tiny and his face looked weird. He got a complete make over for Smash 4.

Ashley did have a good character model in Smash 4. When Sakurai had to state that Ashley was an AT and not a playable character I think he took that as a compliment. That might have been when Sakurai started considering her for playable status in the next Smash game if he hadn't started already. Ashley might have barely made the cut for Smash 4 and settled for an assist trophy.

It does appear that Sakurai was comparing her size to Wario And Kirby (Although I think Kirby is Shrunken). I'd imagine Ashley would be about the same size in Smash Ultimate as her assist trophy in Wii U/3DS.

Ashuree

Hocus Pocus
Yeah I agree about the size, and It almost looks like Ashley Shrunk Kirby in that Image haha.

Support Ashley today~!

Okay since this thread was missing a supporters list unlike most other characters, I went through the whole topic and picked out everyone that has shown that they support Ashley in Smash, and compiled a list to make it easier for the Topic OP. (sorry if I missed anyone)

8-peacock-8
AEMehr
Ashuree
Aussie the Naturist
Banjodorf
bksbestbwoy
Calane
Camc10
Caravan of Noobs
CardiganBoy
CatRaccoonBL
DaemonDD
DarkFalcon
DeiSakuChris
Drawcia
Drs. FalKoopa
EarlTamm
ErenJager
EricTheGamerman
FarquadMoses
Fisher
FreshlyBakedCookies
GalacticPetey
Gerrothorax
GoodGrief741
harukaamami
InfiniteZest
Kenith
Kirbeh
kool2419
Kyon9898
Legendary Spirit Tamer
lightdasher
Lola Luftnagle
Lord-Zero
Louie G.
Luminario
mynameisBlade
Nintenzilla *Reboot*
NTDO89
Oracle_Summon
perfectchaos83
Phantom Joker
Pizza Robo
pupNapoleon
SiddShidds
sman3579
smash puffle
SSBCandidates
Strider_Bond00J
Superyoshiom
TheSoldier
tjdmhem
TumblrFamous
Wegenbarth
WhiteEaglePL
XenothiumX
Xman321
xpnc
YeppersPeppers
Zabadoo

It's even in alphabetical order, Woo hoo, feel free to use it.

Last edited:

SiddShidds

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I agree about the size, and It almost looks like Ashley Shrunk Kirby in that Image haha.

Okay since this thread was missing a supporters list unlike most other characters, I went through the whole topic and picked out everyone that has shown that they support Ashley in Smash, and compiled a list to make it easier for the Topic OP. (sorry if I missed anyone)

8-peacock-8
AEMehr
Ashuree
Aussie the Naturist
Banjodorf
bksbestbwoy
Calane
Camc10
Caravan of Noobs
CardiganBoy
CatRaccoonBL
DaemonDD
DarkFalcon
DeiSakuChris
Drawcia
Drs. FalKoopa
EarlTamm
ErenJager
EricTheGamerman
FarquadMoses
Fisher
FreshlyBakedCookies
GalacticPetey
Gerrothorax
harukaamami
InfiniteZest
Kenith
Kirbeh
kool2419
Kyon9898
Legendary Spirit Tamer
lightdasher
Lola Luftnagle
Lord-Zero
Louie G.
Luminario
mynameisBlade
Nintenzilla *Reboot*
NTDO89
Oracle_Summon
perfectchaos83
Phantom Joker
Pizza Robo
pupNapoleon
SiddShidds
sman3579
smash puffle
SSBCandidates
Strider_Bond00J
Superyoshiom
TheSoldier
tjdmhem
TumblrFamous
Wegenbarth
WhiteEaglePL
XenothiumX
Xman321
xpnc
YeppersPeppers
Zabadoo

Wow! Looks like the Number of supporters is 60! You guys are all Awesome!

If you support Ashley don't be shy. We'll add you to the list. New Ashley supporters are always welcome! :)

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi

8-peacock-8
AEMehr
Ashuree
Aussie the Naturist
Banjodorf
bksbestbwoy
Calane
Camc10
Caravan of Noobs
CardiganBoy
CatRaccoonBL
DaemonDD
DarkFalcon
DeiSakuChris
Drawcia
Drs. FalKoopa
EarlTamm
ErenJager
EricTheGamerman
FarquadMoses
Fisher
FreshlyBakedCookies
GalacticPetey
Gerrothorax
harukaamami
InfiniteZest
Kenith
Kirbeh
kool2419
Kyon9898
Legendary Spirit Tamer
lightdasher
Lola Luftnagle
Lord-Zero
Louie G.
Luminario
mynameisBlade
Nintenzilla *Reboot*
NTDO89
Oracle_Summon
perfectchaos83
Phantom Joker
Pizza Robo
pupNapoleon
SiddShidds
sman3579
smash puffle
SSBCandidates
Strider_Bond00J
Superyoshiom
TheSoldier
tjdmhem
TumblrFamous
Wegenbarth
WhiteEaglePL
XenothiumX
Xman321
xpnc
YeppersPeppers
Zabadoo

I see you saved best for last, haha. JK, I know it's in alphabetical order.

As far as Smash 4 Assist Trophies go, there was a decent jump in quality overall between Brawl and 4. Speaking specifically of Ashley, she and the Kat & Ana models were a real testament to just how nice WarioWare/Rhythm Heaven characters would look in 3D.

QrowinSP

Smash Journeyman
I hope in Ultimate they record an english version of this:

Last edited:

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
I hope in Ultimatee they record an english version of this:
I agree. In my opinion, this version sounds more...Ashley than the Brawl version. And yet, they thought it necessary to give us the JP version of Brawl's, but not the new song. Strange.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Oh man it's been so long since I visited the thread.

8-peacock-8
AEMehr
Ashuree
Aussie the Naturist
Banjodorf
bksbestbwoy
Calane
Camc10
Caravan of Noobs
CardiganBoy
CatRaccoonBL
DaemonDD
DarkFalcon
DeiSakuChris
Drawcia
Drs. FalKoopa
EarlTamm
ErenJager
EricTheGamerman
FarquadMoses
Fisher
FreshlyBakedCookies
GalacticPetey
Gerrothorax
harukaamami
InfiniteZest
Kenith
Kirbeh
kool2419
Kyon9898
Legendary Spirit Tamer
lightdasher
Lola Luftnagle
Lord-Zero
Louie G.
Luminario
mynameisBlade
Nintenzilla *Reboot*
NTDO89
Oracle_Summon
perfectchaos83
Phantom Joker
Pizza Robo
pupNapoleon
SiddShidds
sman3579
smash puffle
SSBCandidates
Strider_Bond00J
Superyoshiom
TheSoldier
tjdmhem
TumblrFamous
Wegenbarth
WhiteEaglePL
XenothiumX
Xman321
xpnc
YeppersPeppers
Zabadoo

Thanks a bunch. :) I'll add it right up.

FreshlyBakedCookies

Smash Journeyman
I agree. In my opinion, this version sounds more...Ashley than the Brawl version. And yet, they thought it necessary to give us the JP version of Brawl's, but not the new song. Strange.
I guess they didn't bother with the English version for Wii U/3DS which is a bummer. I think the reason we got the Japanese version of Ashley's song in Brawl is because the instrumental part of both versions of the song is the same.

The jazzy theme to Ashley's song in Brawl did kind of throw off my perception of the WarioWare games since the song in Brawl was how I became familiar with Ashley. If we would have had the Wii U/3DS version in Brawl I would have had a more accurate first impression of Ashley. that being said, Ashley's Brawl song did make a big splash and kick off an interest and curiosity in the character.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

8-peacock-8
AEMehr
Ashuree
Aussie the Naturist
Banjodorf
bksbestbwoy
Calane
Camc10
Caravan of Noobs
CardiganBoy
CatRaccoonBL
DaemonDD
DarkFalcon
DeiSakuChris
Drawcia
Drs. FalKoopa
EarlTamm
ErenJager
EricTheGamerman
FarquadMoses
Fisher
FreshlyBakedCookies
GalacticPetey
Gerrothorax
harukaamami
InfiniteZest
Kenith
Kirbeh
kool2419
Kyon9898
Legendary Spirit Tamer
lightdasher
Lola Luftnagle
Lord-Zero
Louie G.
Luminario
mynameisBlade
Nintenzilla *Reboot*
NTDO89
Oracle_Summon
perfectchaos83
Phantom Joker
Pizza Robo
pupNapoleon
SiddShidds
sman3579
smash puffle
SSBCandidates
Strider_Bond00J
Superyoshiom
TheSoldier
tjdmhem
TumblrFamous
Wegenbarth
WhiteEaglePL
XenothiumX
Xman321
xpnc
YeppersPeppers
Zabadoo

I see I’m not on that list. That is something that must be rectified immediately (please?)

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
I guess they didn't bother with the English version for Wii U/3DS which is a bummer. I think the reason we got the Japanese version of Ashley's song in Brawl is because the instrumental part of both versions of the song is the same.

The jazzy theme to Ashley's song in Brawl did kind of throw off my perception of the WarioWare games since the song in Brawl was how I became familiar with Ashley. If we would have had the Wii U/3DS version in Brawl I would have had a more accurate first impression of Ashley. that being said, Ashley's Brawl song did make a big splash and kick off an interest and curiosity in the character.
The Brawl version of Ashley's Theme was my introduction to the character, as well, which is why it was a little jarring when I heard the original for the first time. I can't say that, when I think of Ashley or her theme, my initial impression is "let's get a jazz band in here to do a remix!"

Ashuree

Hocus Pocus
I see I’m not on that list. That is something that must be rectified immediately (please?)
Edited your name into my List, Hopefully the Op will see your message and do the same to the List in the first post. My bad for missing you.

I think I've seen murmer about some carelessness with the licensing for Ashley's song V.2 In the west, and it wasn't able to be put in in time. I hope it's in ultimate, translated or not!!!!!!

XenothiumX

Smash Journeyman
Out of curiosity why is Ashley named Ashley? Did the creator just like the name or is there some meaning to it?

Ashuree

Hocus Pocus
Good question really, I'm not sure if theirs an answer floating around or not, If I had to take a Guess just out of the dark I'd say she was probably named Ashley to fit in with the other western sounding names from a couple of the more important characters that came before her like Jimmy, and Mona.

Last edited:

Kyon9898

Smash Journeyman
WarioWare looks to take place in America, Dimond City looks like your typical American city, so they probably gave her the name Ashley to fit this western city.

Funny, considering we have two versions of Ashley, a Japanese Ashley, and American Ashley. Both really different when comparing their songs together. One wants friends and is lonely, while the other we came to know bloats about herself and how great she is, which she really is great!

Though in-game both Japan and West she's still shown to be the short-tempered witch we all know and love.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
WarioWare looks to take place in America, Dimond City looks like your typical American city, so they probably gave her the name Ashley to fit this western city.

Funny, considering we have two versions of Ashley, a Japanese Ashley, and American Ashley. Both really different when comparing their songs together. One wants friends and is lonely, while the other we came to know bloats about herself and how great she is, which she really is great!

Though in-game both Japan and West she's still shown to be the short-tempered witch we all know and love.
Well, The American version still wants friends, she just seems to have a poor way of making them it seems. It does make me think, if Ashley did get her own game, would they base her off her Japanese personality, American personality, or a bit of both.

Ashuree

Hocus Pocus
I don't think her personality difference is really much of an issue, the songs may sing a bit differently, but the cutscenes and stories in the game are basically the same, which they would base any spinoff titles on no doubt. A bit shy, Short tempered, socially awkward, cute, likes dark stuff and not usually very expressive. all pretty much exist in both versions of the character.

Last edited:

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
I don't think her personality difference are really much of an issue, the songs may sing a bit differently, but the cutscenes and stories in the game are basically the same, which they would base any spinoff titles on no doubt. A bit shy, Short tempered, socially awkward, cute, likes dark stuff. all pretty much exist in both versions of the character.
Yeah, even though the voice clips are different in different regions, the animations are always the same. Like any other game, the voicework would simply reflect the personality of that region's Ashley.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I don't think her personality difference are really much of an issue, the songs may sing a bit differently, but the cutscenes and stories in the game are basically the same, which they would base any spinoff titles on no doubt. A bit shy, Short tempered, socially awkward, cute, likes dark stuff and not usually very expressive. all pretty much exist in both versions of the character.
Yeah, even though the voice clips are different in different regions, the animations are always the same. Like any other game, the voicework would simply reflect the personality of that region's Ashley.
Makes sense. On to another topic of discussion, Ashley's age. It has confused me for awile now. The only source for her age is the English translation saying she is 15, but I find that slightly hard to believe. I guess for American Ashley, considering she sounds like she would at least be past 15, but Japanese Ashley does not sound that old at all. And there is also the fact that she would be incredibly small for a 15 year old. Maybe that is why American Ashley is so inclined to boast about herself, might have a bit of a Napoleon complex.

SiddShidds

Smash Journeyman
Makes sense. On to another topic of discussion, Ashley's age. It has confused me for awile now. The only source for her age is the English translation saying she is 15, but I find that slightly hard to believe. I guess for American Ashley, considering she sounds like she would at least be past 15, but Japanese Ashley does not sound that old at all. And there is also the fact that she would be incredibly small for a 15 year old. Maybe that is why American Ashley is so inclined to boast about herself, might have a bit of a Napoleon complex.
I think I remember seeing somewhere that Ashley is 8 years old in the Japanese version.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I think I remember seeing somewhere that Ashley is 8 years old in the Japanese version.
Apparently, from what I read, Japan has never said her age, just in English has an age ever been given. Other ages have been said on wikis, but there has never been a source for them, so apparently there has been a lot of misinformation passed around.

harukaamami

Smash Apprentice
I compiled Ashley's 2015 adventures in a single place. Putting them in a quote box so people can avoid all the pictures:

(Mario Maker)

(Rhythm Heaven Megamix)

(Daigasso Band Brothers P)

(3DS theme)

(Badge Arcade)

(Super Smash Brothers For Wii U/3DS)

(Art Academy)

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Apparently, from what I read, Japan has never said her age, just in English has an age ever been given. Other ages have been said on wikis, but there has never been a source for them, so apparently there has been a lot of misinformation passed around.
MarioWiki backs this up, saying her age was stated as 15 on the WarioWare: Touched western sites, but “despite claims to the contrary, her age has never been stated in any Japanese media”

https://www.mariowiki.com/Ashley_and_Red

Kyon9898

Smash Journeyman
Ashley's age has only ever been said to be 15 years old in the American release, the only other time her age has ever been mentioned was on the Japanese badge arcade, it wasn't an exact age, the bunny loosely says "Whoa, Ashley-sama has become an adult" in one of the releases of Ashley's badges.

Whether canon or not, the badge arcade is run by the same people who create WarioWare so who knows.

Top Bottom