• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Legendary Soldier - Big Boss support thread - Still in a dream.

Tikivoy

Smashing idol~
Switch FC
SW-4447-4606-8984
Big Boss sneaks in!

SnekPW.jpg

Who is Big Boss?

Debuting in the first game in the series, Big Boss is the villain of the first 2 Metal Gear games, and the star of the prequel games of the series, being the protagonist of MGS3, Portable Ops, PeaceWalker, and MGSV Ground Zeroes. He is also the genetic father of Solid Snake, who he trained in cqc, hench the similar looks and fighting style. His original codename was Naked Snake, but don’t be fooled, he is NOT Solid Snake. Though he would be perfect as his echo fighter.

Why Big Boss?
The obvious reason Big Boss would be a welcome addition to Smash is because of his popularity. With him staring in more main installments than Solid Snake or Raiden, he’s definitely a character MGS fans know and would love to play as. Furthermore, Nintendo fans may be more familiar with the character due to the MGS3D remake, which was the most recent MGS game on a Nintendo console.

Plus, he’s all around a badass character to have. Who else in Smash would hide a jigsaw blade in their chest? Ouch.

Why should Big Boss be more than a costume ala Alph?

As of the demo, Solid Snake's alternate colors don't show a Big Boss costume, so a costume might not be happening.

Aside from that, an echo would allow some minor changes to his moveset and aesthetics to be more true to the character, so he feels like Big Boss and not Solid Snake dressed as him. MGS3 was set in the 1960s, so Snake’s Nikita and Cypher, modern technology used in MGS1/2, could be replaced with the fulton and an rpg missile instead. If they’re willing to change him up even more, they could change his chokehold animation and make his neutral attack end with a kick to the floor instead of the air. It also goes without saying he shouldn’t be able to use Shadow Moses codec taunts if they return, or at least, not without causing a time paradox.

What Big Boss has going for and against him:

+ Konami is really supporting Smash Ultimate, with 3 playable Konami characters confirmed for the game so far.
+ He’d be an easy echo to make do to him having the same build and face as Snake.
?? Lack of a Big Boss costume might mean he has a bigger role..or doesn't.
?? Ultimate has given MGS3 more love with its remix of the Snake Eater theme.
- Snake still has some traits borrowed from Big Boss, such as his beard.

Moveset ideas
coming soon...

Last edited:

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Support! I want MGS to get all thr love it can get. Between Brawl and Ultimate, MGS has been peetty much only Big Boss anyways (minus MGR and TPP). I do hope we can at least get sone trophies out of these newer games.

SEGAGameBoy

Smash Journeyman
Alright, wait a minute! He's not Snake?? Not even a little bit?? I always that was Snake.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Alright, wait a minute! He's not Snake?? Not even a little bit?? I always that was Snake.
(Spoilers for the MGS saga below)

Well, not the Snake you play as in Smash. There are 5 characters reffered to as Snake in the MGS canon. Big Boss (formerly Naked Snake) is the OG Snake, who you plas as in MGS3, Portable Ops, and Ground Zeros. He is also the main villain in the original Metal Gear 2, and appears in the ending of 4.

Big Boss has 3 'sons' (clones), Solid, Liquid, and Solidus.

Solid is the hero of Metal Gear 1 & 2, MGS1, 2, And 4. He is the one we control in Brawl/Ultimate. He also has all of Big Boss' recessive genes.

Liquid is the villain in MGS1, and has a role in 2 and 4. He has all of BB's dominant genes.

Solidus is the perfect clone of Big Boss, and is the main villain of MGS2. He also has a role in 4. He is the perfect clone of Big Boss.

While not a clone, Big Boss has a "stunt double" named Venom Snake, who you control in MGS5. You (and Venom himself) dont know about this until the ending of 5. He is the final boss of the original Metal Gear (who we were told is the real Big Boss, but learn that is not the case in Metal Gear 2 & MGS4)

Last edited:

Phoebee

Smash Cadet
I'd love him in with slightly different specials--maybe a WP grenade and a claymore or something because I miss Snake's down smash. The only ones that need to be changed for canon's sake though are the Nikita (maybe an RPG-7 instead) and his recovery (flying platform??? Fulton?????????)

EDIT: just noticed this was discussed in the OP, oops! Still though, I'd love a mine as a move in there somewhere.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Big Boss is probably the most underrated echo possibility. The alternate costume disappearance is definitely strange.

I think he is definitely an echo fighter for sure.

Way back, I also thought that Big Boss was suppose to be Snake when I played my first and only MGS game MGS3.

Personally though, I still do not quite get the appeal of Big Boss, mostly because his personality paralleled to Brawl's Snake, I could not really find any notable differences. :p

xNaz

Smash Cadet
Fantastic idea. I love MGS and welcome the addition of an echo fighter for Solid

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I support. I want to Fulton Ridley, teach those wimps at Mother Base a lesson.

Tikivoy

Smashing idol~
Switch FC
SW-4447-4606-8984
Something I wrote last month in the Solid Snake thread:

All this direct news is kinda hilarious when you consider Big Boss's more humorous history, lol.

-Rathalos as a boss. With Chico as a fighter :ultpit:

-Dracula is in the game. Big Boss is gonna have nightmares.

-Chrom had a “Santa” name tag in tournament mode. Stop laughing Huey.

-K Rool is a crocodile. Pretty tasty.
Now I really want to see Big Boss fight Rathalos again in Smash.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Was gonna make this thread 2 weeks ago but didn't.

Glad someone did.

Big Boss as an Echo Fighter or Alt character of Solid Snake would be 10/10 fan service, 10/10 amazing.

Ideally it would be Big Boss' Peace Walker or Ground Zeroes look though to further differentiate himself from Solid Snake (maybe including Big Boss not having the iconic Bandanna).

The following two versions of Big Boss would be the most ideal:

I'm in! I support Big Boss but if he gets in, Snake is going to be his echo, not the other way around :p

Would be great to have some Venom Snake alt costumes if he gets in (that robot arm suits him so well)

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well it could be Big Boss from Phantom Pain for one reason and one reason alone.

Replacing Remote Missile with Rocket First!

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
Well it could be Big Boss from Phantom Pain for one reason and one reason alone.

Replacing Remote Missile with Rocket First!
Yes, I've been saying this since Snake was confirmed again for Ultimate! Also replace Snake's cypher with a fulton balloon and boom! Big Boss echo. Needless to say, I fully support Big Boss.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I think people would rather have the OG Big Boss than Venom Snake. The mutilated look is also really hard to do and requires a lot more work to make it come together.

However I think since the MGS3 look is a bit too similar to Solid snake, opting for the Peace Walker look as the main appearance and Ground Zeroes and/or MGS3 Big Boss as a secondary look would be ideal.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
(Spoilers for the MGS saga below)

Well, not the Snake you play as in Smash. There are 5 characters reffered to as Snake in the MGS canon. Big Boss (formerly Naked Snake) is the OG Snake, who you plas as in MGS3, Portable Ops, and Ground Zeros. He is also the main villain in the original Metal Gear 2, and appears in the ending of 4.

Big Boss has 3 'sons' (clones), Solid, Liquid, and Solidus.

Solid is the hero of Metal Gear 1 & 2, MGS1, 2, And 4. He is the one we control in Brawl/Ultimate. He also has all of Big Boss' recessive genes.

Liquid is the villain in MGS1, and has a role in 2 and 4. He has all of BB's dominant genes.

Solidus is the perfect clone of Big Boss, and is the main villain of MGS2. He also has a role in 4. He is the perfect clone of Big Boss.

While not a clone, Big Boss has a "stunt double" named Venom Snake, who you control in MGS5. You (and Venom himself) dont know about this until the ending of 5. He is the final boss of the original Metal Gear (who we were told is the real Big Boss, but learn that is not the case in Metal Gear 2 & MGS4)
LOL, this reminds me of how much Metal Gear hilariously fails at basic biology. Seriously, if Liquid has all of Big Boss's dominant genes, why does Solid look more like him?

Anyway, I also support Big Boss as Snake's echo.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
My issue with this is that Snake in Smash is already a weird amalgamation of Big Boss and Solid Snake. At most all we really need is a Naked Snake costume and maybe a Peace Walker attire as well. I don't know the real differences they could add unless they go with Venom Snake, but even then I'm not sure I really want to see that.

Like, yeah, I would love Big Boss alt costumes, for sure, don't get me wrong. I'd have Naked Snake picked 100% of the time if they added it in.

My dream echo fighter for Snake would be The Boss. That'd be a great way to represent the two trilogies.

Last edited:

Q-Long

Smash Lord
My issue with this is that Snake in Smash is already a weird amalgamation of Big Boss and Solid Snake. At most all we really need is a Naked Snake costume and maybe a Peace Walker attire as well. I don't know the real differences they could add unless they go with Venom Snake, but even then I'm not sure I really want to see that.
Yeah that's the issue. I almost kind of like to treat him as his own Snake, idk "Smash Snake"?

Visually I think the Liquid Snake would happen before Big Boss, but I like Big Boss a lot. So it would be cool to see him as an echo.

Quillion

Smash Hero

Like, yeah, I would love Big Boss alt costumes, for sure, don't get me wrong. I'd have Naked Snake picked 100% of the time if they added it in.

My dream echo fighter for Snake would be The Boss. That'd be a great way to represent the two trilogies.
They wouldn't be too different animation-wise since they are echoes, but the OP did address potential differences:

Aside from that, an echo would allow some minor changes to his moveset and aesthetics to be more true to the character, so he feels like Big Boss and not Solid Snake dressed as him. MGS3 was set in the 1960s, so Snake’s Nikita and Cypher, modern technology used in MGS1/2, could be replaced with the fulton and an rpg missile instead. If they’re willing to change him up even more, they could change his chokehold animation and make his neutral attack end with a kick to the floor instead of the air. It also goes without saying he shouldn’t be able to use Shadow Moses codec taunts if they return, or at least, not without causing a time paradox.
If we need more differences, Big Boss's grenades can be flashbang, which causes dizziness, instead of Snake's frag grenades.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Took this when I revisited MPO. Maybe it'll give him some luck:
View attachment 167615

There is no such thing as luck on the battlefield
Portable Ops is such an underrated classic. It really is a shame it came out on the stinker that was the PSP. Of course, "Portable Ops" wouldn't be Metal Gear if we got it on DS so I guess they did the best they could.

Tikivoy

Smashing idol~
Switch FC
SW-4447-4606-8984
Well, unless there turns out to be launch day surprises, it seems Big Boss might not be making it as a fighter.
Still, Miller's spirit was focused on quite abit in the mode reveal (and he's pretty popular thanks to Smash memes too), and MGSPachinko Ocelot also has a spirit. Hopefully we'll see more prequel character as spirits, ideally The Boss and Big Boss himself.

And while Sakurai did say echoes are not part of the fighter pass, who knows? Piranha Plant doesn't count as part of the fighter pass, so we might just see more echoes sneak in.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
So a certain NonSpecificGuy NonSpecificGuy requested a certain Big Boss to get a character trailer based on some that I have been making. So here it is.

Kept you waiting, huh?

Sorry for the audio problems.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Big Boss shouldn't be a Snake echo, he's way cooler than Snake. Especially after playing MGSV. Fulton recovery would be really funny if you could fulton other players for top blast zone KO
I mean Ken is an "echo" but he's a lot different than Ryu. I could definitely see Big Boss having a rocket launcher instead of the Nikita. One that only travels horizontally. And a Fulton that has no horizontal recovery but an insane amount of vertical recovery.

It's easy to make him an echo without him being a straight echo. He could be a builder echo like Chrom and lesser so like Richter.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
The way I see it, give him the fulton balloon as a recovery that acts like Hero's Zoom but has a bit more start up to keep it balanced.

Top Bottom