• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Leaf, Bud, & Flower.

Camera_Guy

Smash Journeyman
The screenshots show a red Pikmin having a leaf in the main picture, a bud in the upper-right pic, and a leaf in the bottom-left picture.

So obviously the Leaf, bud, & flower thing is going to be incorporated into Olimar's attack, but would/should it have a huge effect on Olimar's attacks and/or movement(cause pikmin got faster in the game depending on their growth)

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I predict it'll be something which basically amounts to the longer each pikmin is alive the more upgraded it gets.
... so I guess opponents should try to destroy the old guys first?

Layupfreak

Smash Ace
I hope they all have differient types of damage, or style/variations of attacking. that would be a great addition to Captain O's moveset.

Cranberry Rogue

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it has to do with how long they have been "plucked" as well. The longer they've been out, the more powerful they are, the more damage they can take before scurrying off, etc. I'm thinking that each Pikmin will take off once Olimar takes a certain amount of damage or something, so if they are more mature, they'll stick around longer, so Olimar doesn't have to take the time to pluck new ones.

One thing's for sure, though: I'm wicked excited to see how he plays, since I could be totally off with my prediction. :p

Vadorojo

Smash Apprentice
If Sakurai stays strictly true to the Pikmin series, then Olimar will have to pluck new Pikmin out of the ground at some point during their growth: leaf-bud-flower. But I don't see that happening. I agree with some of the earlier posters that the Pikmin will grow over time the longer they are out at the very least, gain attack power.

But who knows? Maybe they'll run faster (as they do in the Pikmin games) and for Brawl's sake, jump higher?

Perhaps enemies will be able to hit the Pikmin and reduce them from flowers to buds to leaves, as the Bulborbs and other baddies do in game.

Fight on, Captain Olimar!

Vadorojo

Smash Apprentice
*Votes for Emperor Bulblax as his Final Smash or at least a SSE Boss*

Nightwonder

Smash Cadet
the leaf, bud and flower thing my act a lot like the faces in Peach's turnip attack, but then again it just might be to make them look pretty

cwal37

Smash Rookie
I'll just quote myself from the other thread

I'm guessing (this is random and mostly unsupported except by the screen shots in which different pikmin of the same color have different antennae tops) that the strength of his attacks is random to a degree in that whether the pikmin he pulls out is either flower bulb or leaf headed.

And yeah adding to that with what you're saying it could stay true to the pikmin series where they can become stronger over time. But with the way it was phrased in the update it didn't seem like the pikmin would be permanent enough of a fixture to allow that. i.e. they won't live long enough. But who knows, just guessing.

ThatOtherGuy

Smash Cadet
Maybe he has a "plant" attack that makes a Pikmin sprout in the ground and stay there growing until you pluck it out? So you could trade off medium power now for higher power later.

That would be terrible on scrolling stages, though.

No matter how they handle it, I'm sure he'll be an interesting character.

Tinkerer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2251-4736-2935
I'll just quote myself from the other thread

And yeah adding to that with what you're saying it could stay true to the pikmin series where they can become stronger over time. But with the way it was phrased in the update it didn't seem like the pikmin would be permanent enough of a fixture to allow that. i.e. they won't live long enough. But who knows, just guessing.
Yes, but if they're weak, like Sakurai is suggesting, it would make having them survive a harder task - so why not have greater rewards?

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
This is likely NOT the case, but I just thought: maybe when you play as Olimar, and ONLY when Olimar is in play, Pikmin sprouts are randomly generated on the stage for him to pull? It would be sort of like Cody in Street Fighter Alpha getting the knife on the stage, but only when he's playing.

Athos

Smash Cadet
I also think it has to do with damage. In the pikmin games, pikmin would go from leaf to flower pikmin either by gaining experience or by this yellow nectar that transformed them. Since that yellow sap is unlikely to appear in brawl, Im going to say that its through experience that flower pikmin are formed.

Just a side note: Maybe the flowers could be useful in pikmin recovery? Perhaps the pikmin could float in a similar style to Princess Peach's umbrella?

J18

Smash Journeyman
i'm pretty much gonna go with everyone else here, that the longer they've been out, the more they grow. but it could also just be decoration

Droogieb

Smash Apprentice
Its an interesting thing to consider. I think it might not have too much of an influence since he already has Five kinds of Pikmen to work with, if you add the different stages of leaf bulb and flower, he will become a very complex character! But that could be really cool if he was that deep.

-Dark-Marth-

Smash Apprentice
A with everyone else, I think the longer their out the more powerful they become.
But I also think it will be a indication of how much longer your Pikmin will live.
So once it turns into a flower it will be stronger, but shall soon die .
Sounds balanced, seeing as (im assuming) you can only have 5 Pikmin at once following you.
I also think each Pikmin will have different abilities such to match their original counterpart.

trevbang

Smash Cadet
This could give him more of an advantage in longer matches. If a player gets adept at running away until he has five fully grown pikmin (not that I buy that there is a five pikmin limit) he could probably be very powerful. But if you are doing a short time match, it would make him a harder character to use because you wouldn't have time to build up your forces before the round is over.

Pulse

Smash Apprentice
What's weird is that so far, the Pikmin are at the same stage of development as they are in the official artwork. That is, Red at Leaf, Blue at Bud, Yellow at Flower, Purple at Flower, and White at Bud.

Giga Pichu

Smash Apprentice
I think that in the beginning of the match, olimar will have 5 different pikmin, all with different plants. Olimar will only have to pluck on when one dies. Oh, he can also only have 5 pikmin, or he will be cheap. When he plucks one, itwill have either a leaf, bud, or flower. the plant on topmeans how much damadge they will do when they are used to attack. Purple Flower pikmin (very hard to get) do 35 damage the first hit with them. Leaf- 5-6
Bud- 10-15
Flower- 20-24

DstyCube

Smash Journeyman
I was wondering the same thing too. I was thinking that one of Olimar's moves would have had something to do with nectar, but with tonight's updates i guess not ;p

Since there isn't any nectar I'm guessing that pikmin will grow from leaves, to buds, to flowers.

From this picture it looks like it's not random whether you get leaves, buds, or flowers when you pluck them out of the ground. (Come on it wouldn't make sense for a bud or flower to suddenly pop out of the ground right? lol)

And yes I know it's kind of lame of me to pick this picture out of all the other ones, since none of the other pictures follow this trend, but bear with me lol.

Notice how the pikmin go from flowers at the front of the line to leaves at the back. Could it be in chronological order? The ones that were picked first grew while the newest one still has a leaf? Maybe the people playing forgot to mess up the order with Olimar's down B, but it's still kind of fun to speculate :chuckle:

And with the list of all the pikmin attributes one can only wonder if their damage will be increased based on what stage they're in. If Sakurai holds true to the game, Olimar could take some crazy multitasking skills to truely master.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
I think it is safe to say they just develop over time.

Also look at it from a designer/developer point of view. Why would they bother making a more intricate system then necessary for such a trivial visual or minimal gameplay impacting effect?

Doesn't make sense. They grow over time. That makes sense.

Top Bottom