• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for Smash Ultimate support thread! See OP for where to meet us next after the boards close. Thank you for all your support!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
You mean the game their hiring for? Nothing much as far as I know, just that its an RPG project, which to be fair, outside of the Layton series itself, that's pretty much most of the games they make anyway.

Actually now that I think about it, considering how Smash tends to heavily favour JRPG games (Especially in its DLC's) Its kind of surprising we haven't really seen Level-5 show up on that front either considering how much the company enjoys developing JRPG games too, Oh well...
so it could be anything from no no kuni 3 to something new? I personally think that the trend towards RPG characters is more a sign of how popular the genre is

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
so it could be anything from no no kuni 3 to something new? I personally think that the trend towards RPG characters is more a sign of how popular the genre is
Probably yeah.

And yeah, of course, Japan in particular is crazy over them, just pointing out how its funny that even despite all that, Level-5 still hasn't managed to get their feet through the door for Smash....

Especially since Jibanyan became an ambassador for the recent Olympics.
Actually, does he still have that role?

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Probably yeah.

And yeah, of course, Japan in particular is crazy over them, just pointing out how its funny that even despite all that, Level-5 still hasn't managed to get their feet through the door for Smash....

maybe sakurai just doesnt like level-5?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Eh, I don't think so, considering both him and Hino follow each other on Twitter and chatted before in regards to having a character in Smash as far back as Brawl.

I guess the opportunity just hasn't crossed them yet...
well sakurai is a hard one to gauge

amageish

Smash Master
The jobs do specifically ask for experience in smartphone game development and experience in making "native Android/iOS applications," so it seems likely it is either a mobile game or a game coming out both on consoles and mobile devices, for whatever that is worth.

I think the Olympics have so much changing so quickly that that just hasn't been a priority tbh. I guess we'll see if he still turns up in the opening ceremony? If they, you know, have an opening ceremony... The Olympics this year seems a little bit chaotic for obvious reasons.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
The jobs do specifically ask for experience in smartphone game development and experience in making "native Android/iOS applications," so it seems likely it is either a mobile game or a game coming out both on consoles and mobile devices, for whatever that is worth.
Well that lowered my expectations. Mobile RPG’s have been a real mixed bag

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
The mobile market has pretty much been Level-5's lifeline for a while now, and where they make the most money these days.

I suppose if we where to ever get a new Layton game, it would probably be released there too along with the Switch.
Considering how LMJ turned out, take that for what you will...

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
The mobile market has pretty much been Level-5's lifeline for a while now, and where they make the most money these days.

I suppose if we where to ever get a new Layton game, it would probably be released there too along with the Switch.
Considering how LMJ turned out, take that for what you will...
i think playing a layton game on a mobile game would annoy me so id certainly hope for a switch port

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
The main thing I'd be concerned with is that the game would probably be mostly developed for mobile in mind again, much like LMJ was. Which likely means more bitesized episodic cases over something more cohesive and focused like the original games.

Hopefully with them giving the DS games HD ports eases them in to giving the next game a more focused storyline again (while leaving the mini plots as optional sidequests or something) even if it would be released on mobile as well.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
The main thing I'd be concerned with is that the game would probably be mostly developed for mobile in mind again, much like LMJ was. Which likely means more bitesized episodic cases over something more cohesive and focused like the original games.

Hopefully with them giving the DS games HD ports eases them in to giving the next game a more focused storyline again (while leaving the mini plots as optional sidequests or something) even if it would be released on mobile as well.
we can only hope

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well, official Layton merch is always nice... kind of random timing, but nice.
Wait, their actually official?

Oh wow, that's cool to see, pretty cool that Level-5 is doing more stuff with Layton recently, even the official lead artist has been posting more art these days, definitely worth checking out.

With all this sudden support and the Layton Twitter becoming more active, Hopefully Level-5 has something big in store for us sometime soon-ish...

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Wait, their actually official?

Oh wow, that's cool to see, pretty cool that Level-5 is doing more stuff with Layton recently, even the official lead artist has been posting more art these days, definitely worth checking out.

With all this sudden support and the Layton Twitter becoming more active, Hopefully Level-5 has something big in store for us sometime soon-ish...
It is official! Fangamer's one of those "Started as fanart, transitioned to making official merch" companies. Kind of random of Level-5 to begin doing English-language merch, but okay... Weirdly, the merch only ships to North America, South America, Australia, and New Zealand. They do a lot of merch that doesn't ship directly to Japan, but I don't know why they don't ship to Europe, especially given Layton's demographic...

Very nice art from the lead artist. Hopefully we get something from Level-5 at TGS...

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
It is official! Fangamer's one of those "Started as fanart, transitioned to making official merch" companies. Kind of random of Level-5 to begin doing English-language merch, but okay... Weirdly, the merch only ships to North America, South America, Australia, and New Zealand. They do a lot of merch that doesn't ship directly to Japan, but I don't know why they don't ship to Europe, especially given Layton's demographic...

Very nice art from the lead artist. Hopefully we get something from Level-5 at TGS...
Oh, that's interesting to know. Glad to know L5 still has some faith left in the Western market that their willing to partner up with a western company to make some merch for fans overseas. Especially for the USA of all places, since that's kind of the region they infamously tend to struggle the most with...
But hey, good to know either way. Hopefully this will likely mean that even if we get a new Layton game announced (or even just Last Specter HD) that it will still probably see a Western release despite everything, which is good.

And yeah, fingers crossed for TGS...

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
So I found this youtube video of a Japanese fan supporting Layton for Ultimate.

This was before Terry was revealed so its pretty funny to see that Colour and Companion theory where apparently even a thing in Japan...
but hey, pretty nice to see Layton having pretty substantial support in Japan too.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
So I found this youtube video of a Japanese fan supporting Layton for Ultimate.

This was before Terry was revealed so its pretty funny to see that Colour and Companion theory where apparently even a thing in Japan...
but hey, pretty nice to see Layton having pretty substantial support in Japan too.
From what I've heard, Japanese speculation shares most of our "aesthetic" theories. There's a slightly different set of characters seen as likely, of course, but the same, er, "logic" being used to come to those conclusions...

Glad support still exists internationally though, I suppose.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
From what I've heard, Japanese speculation shares most of our "aesthetic" theories. There's a slightly different set of characters seen as likely, of course, but the same, er, "logic" being used to come to those conclusions...

Glad support still exists internationally though, I suppose.
That only makes me wonder what Sakurai thinks of all these silly crackpot theories the fanbase have come up with over the years.

Wonder if he was aware of the chair theory and laughed his butt off over it...

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
That only makes me wonder what Sakurai thinks of all these silly crackpot theories the fanbase have come up with over the years.

If I was sakurai I’d have most fans and theories set to ignore by now

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
there is almost no confidence in Megaton Musashi doing remotely well
Yokai Watch 4's West release is quietly cancelled
last thing Layton got is a port of Millionaires' Conspiracy
Inazuma Eleven's revival is taking its sweet time
I legitimately think Level-5 is in danger of going bankrupt. I wouldn't be surprised if their IPs get sold off like Data East's at this rate.

In all likelihood, he's been too busy to go on the Internet at all (aside from the Battlefield incident, which may have been a leak cover-up attempt). I mean, just imagine all the games he has to play with to pass the time between dev sessions! :drflip:

I could see him just play games for the next 10 years or so.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
In all likelihood, he's been too busy to go on the Internet at all (aside from the Battlefield incident, which may have been a leak cover-up attempt). I mean, just imagine all the games he has to play with to pass the time between dev sessions! :drflip:

I could see him just play games for the next 10 years or so.
That’s quite an assumption isn’t it? He might not play that many games and he might spend all his time on the internet

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I legitimately think Level-5 is in danger of going bankrupt. I wouldn't be surprised if their IPs get sold off like Data East's at this rate.
Didn't they make over $100 million from that Ni No Kuni mobile game last month? I'd imagine they'd at least have an extra lifeline on their side for now.

Speaking of Megaton Musashi, the game is apparently finally receiving a release on November for Japan, here's hoping it does well.

Also LMJ apparently received a + update for mobile as well recently, though I'm not exactly sure what they added to that version...

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
I think the discussion of Level-5 being bought out is more a "People want them to be bought out because they're currently somewhat inept" situation then a "They're going to be sold off peacemeal any day now" one...

That’s quite an assumption isn’t it? He might not play that many games and he might spend all his time on the internet
Whenever he does do a generic "What I've been playing lately" column/twitter-thread, it does tend to be an absurd amount of games. The guy seems to play a bit of everything, including a lot of fairly niche indie games.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Here's another 25 fact video DearestHershel made in regards to the Layton series, some pretty interesting things listed here to be sure.

Never knew the old man Layton sprite in the files from the original trilogy was actually used in the games, you just need to max out the game's playtime counter to over 99 hours.

Also, apparently there have been some rumours circulating that the next Layton game might be coming soon. Mainly in regards to that RPG project Level-5 was hiring for.

“Of course,

we also welcome creators who can participate in the project currently under development”,
Of course its not really specific, but its nice to know that they have got more on the pipeline anyway, hopefully it will be shown off during TGS.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
tfw you realize even this apparently got a Switch port before any of the non-Katrielle Layton games...

What's the hold up Level-5? At this rate we'll even see Konami bring Dr. Lautrec back from the dead before you let your top hat puzzle man take a single step on the Switch... :drsad:

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
tfw you realize even this apparently got a Switch port before any of the non-Katrielle Layton games...

What's the hold up Level-5? At this rate we'll even see Konami bring Dr. Lautrec back from the dead before you let your top hat puzzle man take a single step on the Switch... :drsad:
Oh yeah... I should try that game out sometime if it is on sale, even if it is not exactly subtle in its influences.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

man how many layton knock offs are there?

amageish

Smash Master
Not enough. I want more Layton-alikes so we can get some high-quality indie content as Level-5 isn't delivering on the official goods...

I love mystery games in general, but I feel like most "What's a good game like Layton" discussions end up just listing other point-and-click adventure games and/or visual novels, which isn't really what the Layton series' gameplay loop is known for... Not that games like Murder By Numbers or Tangled Tower aren't fantastic, but they aren't really Layton-esque unless we pretend Layton invented mysteries.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Oh yeah... I should try that game out sometime if it is on sale, even if it is not exactly subtle in its influences.
I played it once, but I couldn't really get myself to finish it, I felt like it dragged on a little, and the amount of assets it flipped from Curious Village is quite hilariously sad to behold though.

I personally liked Dr. Lautrec a little better as far as Layton knock offs go, despite its repetitive nature. The monster and stealth thing was a little fun to do.

Dr. Lautrec and May's Mysteries are probably the two most infamous ones, the latter especially due to some of the blatant asset rips from Curious Village it has, as I mentioned...

Not enough. I want more Layton-alikes so we can get some high-quality indie content as Level-5 isn't delivering on the official goods...

I love mystery games in general, but I feel like most "What's a good game like Layton" discussions end up just listing other point-and-click adventure games and/or visual novels, which isn't really what the Layton series' gameplay loop is known for... Not that games like Murder By Numbers or Tangled Tower aren't fantastic, but they aren't really Layton-esque unless we pretend Layton invented mysteries.
I wonder whatever happened with that one Layton esque looking mobile game with the Arianna Barde looking girl on the cover...
I think some indie dev did some high school mystery game inspired by the Layton series too that they shared on the Layton Reddit once.

I feel like we've had quite a lot of Earthbound esque and pixle platformers from indies there for the most part...
Would be neat to see more indie games inspired by the Layton series and their takes on the puzzle adventure genre on it. I'd imagine some interesting things could come from that..

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

id imagine theyd miss out on the puzzles popping out of no where the animated cutscenes and a slew of mysteries that only make sense in a video game

all the layton knock offs always look like theyre lacking something even if they do have these things

Dr. Lautrec and May's Mysteries are probably the two most infamous ones, the latter especially due to some of the blatant asset rips from Curious Village it has, as I mentioned...
assets rips? howd they get them off of level-5?

Top Bottom