• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for Smash Ultimate support thread! See OP for where to meet us next after the boards close. Thank you for all your support!

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
ah so thats who they mean when they say some people have to much time on their hands
* > Said the guy on a community where most people dedicate hours, if not years, speculating, over analysing and mastering a children's party fighting game.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
* > Said the guy on a community where most people dedicate hours, if not years, speculating, over analysing and mastering a children's party fighting game.
oh I stopped doing that a while back now I just point out the flaws in everyone else’s logic

also in this thread we mostly go “level-5 is doomed”

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
also in this thread we mostly go “level-5 is doomed”
Then all the better that there are some fans willing to breathe some new life into their games.
Especially since the Layton series is already at the brink of fading into obscurity as is...

Its nice that there are some dedicated fans that go out of their way to do some creative and interesting things with the games like modding in custom puzzles, doing challenge runs and even creating entire fan games. It helps to keep the fandom going and potentially growing further, even if there aren't any new games on the horizon.

As said, the fandom is dying as is, so its best not to discourage fans from trying new things with the games and keeping interest up. Even if Level-5 seems to be pretty apathetic these days.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Then all the better that there are some fans willing to breathe some new life into their games.
Especially since the Layton series is already at the brink of fading into obscurity as is...

Its nice that there are some dedicated fans that go out of their way to do some creative and interesting things with the games like modding in custom puzzles, doing challenge runs and even creating entire fan games. It helps to keep the fandom going and potentially growing further, even if there aren't any new games on the horizon.

As said, the fandom is dying as is, so its best not to discourage fans from trying new things with the games and keeping interest up. Even if Level-5 seems to be pretty apathetic these days.
alright point taken. but it sill seems like such a bizarre challenge. though i suppose it is different from the average challenge, mind you can you speed run a layton game?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
alright point taken. but it sill seems like such a bizarre challenge. though i suppose it is different from the average challenge, mind you can you speed run a layton game?
Eh its not any more bizarre than some of the challenges people have done for the Mario and Pokémon games but I digress...

And yeah, the Layton games have had some speed runs done in the past, they even have their own pages on Speedrun.com. The games are fairly short if you know what you're doing.

Curious Village seems to be the most popular game to speed run with the HD version of the game having the quickest time at 1h 07m 22s

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Guys, great news.

Apparently this Ni No Kuni game for mobile has proven to be a huge success, having made over $100 million in revenue with Level-5 planning to bring it overseas too.
Here's hoping brighter days are ahead for the company if they don't screw things up again...

Also, the Japanese Layton Twitter seems to be posting again, not sure if that's mainly due to the anime and the Switch game rererelease or if their building up for more, but I guess its worth keeping an eye on...

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Guys, great news.

Apparently this Ni No Kuni game for mobile has proven to be a huge success, having made over $100 million in revenue with Level-5 planning to bring it overseas too.

Here's hoping brighter days are ahead for the company if they don't screw things up again...

Also, the Japanese Layton Twitter seems to be posting again, not sure if that's mainly due to the anime and game rerelease or if their building up for more, but I guess its worth keeping an eye on...
hopefully this leads to good things

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
you know ive noticed some people talk about millionaire's conspiracy as if it was a spin off. anyone else see this?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
you know ive noticed some people talk about millionaire's conspiracy as if it was a spin off. anyone else see this?
I guess you can't really blame them too much when the gameplay and atmosphere is so far removed from the original series.
Not to mention being originally released on a mobile platform first before a Nintendo console, the same platform that starred another kid Layton had which was confirmed to be a spin off.

Either that, or maybe some folks really weren't too fond of LMJ and rather not think of it too much as being part of the main series canon...

By the way, the Japanese Layton Twitter is definitely being active again, posting daily puzzles every day. Last time they where this active before they dipped, we got Lost Future HD, so, something might be coming up fairly soon, so probably best to keep an eye on them...

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I guess you can't really blame them too much when the gameplay and atmosphere is so far removed from the original series.
Not to mention being originally released on a mobile platform first before a Nintendo console, the same platform that starred another kid Layton had which was confirmed to be a spin off.

Either that, or maybe some folks really weren't too fond of LMJ and rather not think of it too much as being part of the main series canon...

By the way, the Japanese Layton Twitter is definitely being active again, posting daily puzzles every day. Last time they where this active before they dipped, we got Lost Future HD, so, something might be coming up fairly soon, so probably best to keep an eye on them...
hmm specter's call HD?

MattX20

Smash Hero

That's interesting. It could mean some good things for Layton in the future

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
hmm specter's call HD?
That's interesting. It could mean some good things for Layton in the future
Yeah, most likely its the imminent announcement and release of Last Specter HD, which would be interesting to see wether or not they will be keeping London Life intact and if it will finally receive a worldwide release.

Likewise, we are also getting closer to the Tokyo Game Show and the series 15th anniversary so with a little luck, we might also finally get an announcement of a brand new Layton title set for release next year too...

Would be great to see eitherway.

random thought/question: who would you guys have as the legend class spirit?
Yeah probably one of the main villains, another potential Legend class option is maybe Aurora if they would do anything creative with the Azran I suppose.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Yeah, most likely its the imminent announcement and release of Last Specter HD, which would be interesting to see wether or not they will be keeping London Life intact and if it will finally receive a worldwide release.

Likewise, we are also getting closer to the Tokyo Game Show and the series 15th anniversary so with a little luck, we might also finally get an announcement of a brand new Layton title set for release next year too...

Would be great to see eitherway.

Yeah probably one of the main villains, another potential Legend class option is maybe Aurora if they would do anything creative with the Azran I suppose.
my moneys on spectres call HD

aurora feels sort of right but its hard to judge. spirit levels seem very random in the game hence why I ask

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

Well, hopefully this project goes well for them... not that I'd advise they take on another project when they have so much in development hell...
I mean, I guess its either that, or continue to remain stuck focusing on that Inazuma Eleven game they've been plagued with for over half a decade...
As much of a blockbuster success as that Ni No Kuni mobile game is, they gotta keep the ball rolling still.

yo-kai watch 4 english release? no? darn
If it makes you feel better, there's going to be a Yo-Kai Watch live stream on the 9th of July for the series 8th anniversary. So that's something I suppose.
Hopefully they'll do something for Layton's 15th anniversary next year too.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
yo-kai watch 4 english release? no? darn
I'm guessing they'd need to have partnered with an external publishing house - possibly a full localization team - and it sounds like Level-5's western branch burned every bridge before shuttering, so...

I mean, I guess its either that, or continue to remain stuck focusing on that Inazuma Eleven game they've been plagued with for over half a decade...
As much of a blockbuster success as that Ni No Kuni mobile game is, they gotta keep the ball rolling still.
Yeah, I get moving on is a good idea, it just also feels weird to go "Welp, our football/soccer game is in development hell... LET'S MAKE A FULL NEW JRPG!"

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
So L5 is doing these promo video's now for LMJDX+ with Katrielle solving puzzles with Jibanyan, their kinda cute. You might have to use a VPN to watch them though.

Inb4 this ends up leading to a crossover game with Layton and Yo-Kai Watch.

Also, after having watched the Japanese dub of the Pokemon Journey's anime for a while, I can't get anime Katrielle and Koharu/Chloe sharing the same Japanese voice actress out of my head now. Which is funny considering their personalities couldn't be more polar opposites...
Guess this is also the closest thing to a Pokemon and Yo-Kai Watch crossover as we're gonna get...

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
and yet he’s had a crossover with a series with actual spirit mediums
tbf, didn't they conveniently ignore that part of Maya's character throughout the entire game?

Though then again, if she mentioned that she could channel spirits, she probably would have definitely been tried as a witch in that game...

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
True but in that case you could ignore the supernatural stuff in ace attorney and it's fine, the entirety of yokai watch is about ghosts.
well then why are we all supporting him getting into a game thats full of series with super natural elements?

edit: more to the point, Layton and kat cameoed in yokai watch wibble wobble

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I mean, Layton has played a soccer match with the Inazuma Eleven Kids before, where Layton grew big to punch a ball from scoring, Luke summoning a hurricane, Flora shooting Rocket Penguins and Chelmey becoming the second coming of Solid Snake with remote explosives...
And he did that twice at least, with also him returning the favour in the Japanese version of Azran Legacy...

Now that I think of it, outside of a Yo-Kai based off him and some small cameo's here and there, I guess they didn't really give Layton much of a guest appearance in any of the Yo-Kai Watch games have they? At least none that I know of..

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I mean, Layton has played a soccer match with the Inazuma Eleven Kids before, where Layton grew big to punch a ball from scoring, Luke summoning a hurricane, Flora shooting Rocket Penguins and Chelmey becoming the second coming of Solid Snake with remote explosives...
And he did that twice at least, with also him returning the favour in the Japanese version of Azran Legacy...

Now that I think of it, outside of a Yo-Kai based off him and some small cameo's here and there, I guess they didn't really give Layton much of a guest appearance in any of the Yo-Kai Watch games have they? At least none that I know of..
only the aforementioned wibble wobble and that crane yokai based on him. Oh and the parody in the anime. I’m kind of surprised there’s no laytonyan

also if we could circle around for a moment, flora launches rocker penguins?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
only the aforementioned wibble wobble and that crane yokai based on him. Oh and the parody in the anime. I’m kind of surprised there’s no laytonyan
I see, would be neat if Level-5 did a proper crossover game with their IP's, be it a fighting or racing game. Maybe a Capcom vs game if the latter is ever up for it...

also if we could circle around for a moment, flora launches rocker penguins?
Its more likely than you think.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I see, would be neat if Level-5 did a proper crossover game with their IP's, be it a fighting or racing game. Maybe a Capcom vs game if the latter is ever up for it...

Its more likely than you think.
Wow if I wasn’t opposed to football I might have considered trying it

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
So did they tell us anything about this new game or just that’s it’s a RPG?
You mean the game their hiring for? Nothing much as far as I know, just that its an RPG project, which to be fair, outside of the Layton series itself, that's pretty much most of the games they make anyway.

Actually now that I think about it, considering how Smash tends to heavily favour JRPG games (Especially in its DLC's) Its kind of surprising we haven't really seen Level-5 show up on that front either considering how much the company enjoys developing JRPG games too, Oh well...

Last edited:
Top Bottom