• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Latest Smash Theme

bloodyshadow

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0275-8060-5220
The new Smash theme is a great theme. It's fast, well arranged and gets you pumped for battle. I can really appreciate that, but I can't help but feel that it's noticeably less "epic" than Brawl's. Brawl's theme opened with a booming orchestra and a powerful chorus and I think it's strange that, considering the heavy emphasis on legacy more than any other title this time around, that the title doesn't pack the punch that Brawl's did. Obviously, this is quite subjective, but that's the point of a forum, right? What do you guys think?

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
I think the very fact that it calls back to the CSS theme of the original does a lot to give it that sense of legacy.

And I also am very excited to hear the FD theme. Personally this is probably my favorite theme in the series.

Elaith

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sonic12040
I don't know who composed the main theme for this version of Smash, but it's worth noting that Brawl's Main Theme was done by Nobuo Uematsu.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
It sounds great, the brawl one got old pretty quickly

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
This new theme gets me pumped every time I hear it. The FD version will be glorious.

sheersahw

Smash Rookie
The new theme is far better than Brawl's. Brawl's theme felt inappropriate for a silly and light-hearted game like Smash. The new one gets you pumped up without sounding like the game takes itself too seriously.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Melee is the one that I enjoyed the most. It feels just so classic to me.
Brawl sounds a bit dark but strong.
Newest theme is just........ HYPE!!!!!!!!!!

Niala

Smash Ace
Same thread exists here:

http://smashboards.com/threads/the-new-smash-theme-song.363842/page-2#post-17271335

My post from before:

Smash4's theme is the best concept yet, however the worst execution of the concept, in my humble opinion. The first time I heard it, it was incredible. It's energetic, so it's easy to see why you'd like it right off the bat. Especially the way it starts, those powerful drums building to a pretty epic moment before the main melody starts. Then the lively, "adventurous" section starts and the orchestra sounds so full, it's truly vivid the first time around. Even the second, and third, and so-on.

But eventually, you reach a point where I'm at now. The point in which you realize the music has no flavour. There's no growth, nor decay. No ebb and flow. It's incredibly one-dimensional, everything happens on the same level. I don't mean dropping the energy/"bounce" the music has, that's all well and good, it's just the mixing and general lack of dynamics the music offers that I find irksome. It's all so blasé.

Now, I did say I think it's the best concept, and I truly do believe that. I think the arrangement of the music and instruments is incredible, only the execution of the song as a whole is somewhat underwhelming. Nothing stands out.

If you had asked me this a couple of months ago, I wouldn't have said that. I would have said "Smash 4's is the best, hands down!" Now, however, I'd rank Brawl's theme at the top. It's lovely, and the orchestration actually has feeling to it. It's dynamic. Am I biased? Certainly, as a singer I'm more likely to appreciate operatic styles than the average person. But it is what it is.

Smash 64's theme is incredibly erratic, although an actual theme for that game is somewhat... unclassifiable. I'm talking about the opening cinematic in this case, and I just find it strange. It really just pops around all over the place, and sounds really harsh. I can't say I care for it.

Conversely, Melee's theme (Menu 1) is incredibly stale, and, frankly, boring. I think I don't care for it simply because it's all just recycling the same one theme. Sure, it's played differently in different sections, but none of it even feels very different to me. Menu 2 would have been a far more suitable theme for that game, at least it was interesting. Unless you want it's theme judged by the music used for it's opening cinematic, in which case Melee's is very, very good. It also lacks dynamics in certain places, but I suspect that's more intentional than the case for Smash4, given this music was composed with the intention of being behind the cinematic, (i.e. it compliments the video, doesn't intentionally take focus.) I'd probably be amazed at how gorgeous it is if I heard it from a live orchestra.

I suppose if asked to rank, I'd say something like:

1- Brawl
1.5- Melee cinematic
2- Smash4
2.5- Melee (Menu 2)
3- Melee (Menu 1)
4- Smash 64

I guess this is all my opinion. Take it as you will.

Swedish_Otaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Swedish_otaku
Niala - Why do you want our eyes to bleed? =_= That text omg.
http://smashboards.com/members/niala.178525/

Brawl's theme felt inappropriate for a silly and light-hearted game like Smash.
What?! Smash is epicness out the ass! I love the Brawl theme, I was disappointed that only the Fire Emblem song had latin singing in it like the main theme. Got so excited when I heard that news.

I'm really excited to see the intro with the song in Smash 4. We still don't have the full song somewhere do we?

Niala

Smash Ace
Niala - Why do you want our eyes to bleed? =_= That text omg.

What?! Smash is epicness out the ***! I love the Brawl theme, I was disappointed that only the Fire Emblem song had latin singing in it like the main theme. Got so excited when I heard that news.

I'm really excited to see the intro with the song in Smash 4. We still don't have the full song somewhere do we?
If I blind everybody, then, by default, I'll be the worlds best smash player. :denzel:

KawaiiPiranha

Smash Journeyman
As much as I loved Brawl's theme, I think I like 4's theme a bit better.

Brawl tried to make Smash into something a little too serious. It worked at times, but ultimately I think it was the wrong choice. It had:
-Gritty, washed out visuals
-"Epic" opera theme song with lots of dramatic chord progressions and latin lyrics
-Solid Snake as a playable character (I liked his inclusion, but it added to the overall "roughness" of the game)
-Large story mode about the world being taken over, lots of sad scenes involving ROB, etc etc

I loved Brawl, and I do appreciate what they were trying to do, but ultimately, Smash Bros. is a celebration of everything Nintendo. When I think Nintendo, I think fun, colorful, and exciting. I think that's EXACTLY what they've managed to pull off this time. The theme song, the art style, everything seems just perfect for a Nintendo crossover.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
As much as I loved Brawl's theme, I think I like 4's theme a bit better.

Brawl tried to make Smash into something a little too serious. It worked at times, but ultimately I think it was the wrong choice. It had:
-Gritty, washed out visuals
-"Epic" opera theme song with lots of dramatic chord progressions and latin lyrics
-Solid Snake as a playable character (I liked his inclusion, but it added to the overall "roughness" of the game)
-Large story mode about the world being taken over, lots of sad scenes involving ROB, etc etc

I loved Brawl, and I do appreciate what they were trying to do, but ultimately, Smash Bros. is a celebration of everything Nintendo. When I think Nintendo, I think fun, colorful, and exciting. I think that's EXACTLY what they've managed to pull off this time. The theme song, the art style, everything seems just perfect for a Nintendo crossover.
I think that's seriously underestimating the variety of Nintendo stories, games like the Fire Emblem series, Zelda, Wonderful 101, Mario RPGs, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon and (Pretty much a Nintendo franchise) Professor Layton show that Nintendo games go far beyond being only colorful and exciting, they can also be heartwarming, heartbreaking, sad, tragic, epic, grand, heroic, that's pretty much Nintendo's biggest skill, they make games for EVERYONE.

Metarai

Smash Apprentice
I would have to pick Brawl's version as the best. I think it fit the game well, especially with Subspace and all. Maybe it was just beating Tabuu and having the hype around while I finally found out what the lyrics meant.
Still gotta give SSB4 credit. Their theme fits well with the trailer, and the switching of the 3DS and the Wii U.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
Brawl's main theme was too melodramatic. Smash is a crossover fighting series, its atmosphere is more arena than opera house. I feel that the new theme is more true to the idea of Mario fighting Kirby.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Best to worst for me:

Melee (Sorry but I love Melee's main menu/main theme)
Smash 4 (Cool)
Smash 64 (cool too)
Brawl (they went a little overboard with the chanting)

Top Bottom