• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Last Smash Bros. Ultimate Character Reveal before launch

WIldBam

Smash Apprentice
After the recent direct showing off so many characters, including two big reveals at the beginning and end of the direct. It seems like characters are being added and revealed due to popular demand.

I got to wondering who would be the last character that they will reveal. Let's say there is one last smash direct in mid-November to detail more game modes and give one final push of hype before the game is released. When that direct ends, what character is revealed at the end there? Being the ultimate smash game, I think this character should be a banger to get everyone talking about this game again a few weeks before launch.

Who would be fit to be the last one revealed before the game launches? (this could also be the character they use as their first DLC, much like how Mewtwo was revealed for ssb4)

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
Banjo-Kazooie.

(For argument's sake, I'm going to say Rayman will be the next.)

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
After the recent direct showing off so many characters, including two big reveals at the beginning and end of the direct. It seems like characters are being added and revealed due to popular demand.

I got to wondering who would be the last character that they will reveal. Let's say there is one last smash direct in mid-November to detail more game modes and give one final push of hype before the game is released. When that direct ends, what character is revealed at the end there? Being the ultimate smash game, I think this character should be a banger to get everyone talking about this game again a few weeks before launch.

Who would be fit to be the last one revealed before the game launches? (this could also be the character they use as their first DLC, much like how Mewtwo was revealed for ssb4)
If Banjo-Kazooie are in, then them. If not, Isaac.

Or, maybe it’s not a hype reveal but a Duck Hunt style one, real close to release date, not really to drum up hype but to showcase whoever’s left. If so, Chorus Kids or the new retro pick.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
Most definitely Banjo-Kazooie, for the weight and meaning they carry. Representing the reunion of Nintendo and Rare, the most beloved partnership in gaming throughout the 90s, torn apart and breaking the hearts of gamers young and old everywhere... And Banjo-Kazooie in Smash Bros. being the moment that brings them back together, yeah, that's huge. Let alone the fact that they're owned by a rival console manufacturer making this reunion even more implausible, which would make the reveal even HUGER.

So yeah, I don't think Banjo-Kazooie could be topped, or could ever be topped. Simply for the meaning they would carry along with them. And that kind of impact is something you save for last.

Last edited:

Cetus

Smash Apprentice
Last character would have to be something to seal the deal. I see Banjo Kazooie, Geno, or any Rare character tbh. Seems like all the big shots are Rare. If not, then Crash or Spyro.

Last edited:

Tetiro

Smash Ace
Geno, Isaac or Banjo would be enough to steal the show. After Ridley and K Rool, you could sub any of those three in to be part of the Sacred Trinity. And that would be enough.

As for Banjo, I don't think he'll be at the end. After all, Castlevania was right at the start and that was huge and got its own segment. I have a feeling if Banjo got in it would get the full works like Castlevania (stage, assist trophy etc) and that would require Sakurai to explain things. Plus if they did (assuming that leak had one remote once of legit) Minecraft, there is no way it would be a surprise at the end as we'd all know it.

So my guess? Probably Geno. I can see Isaac being before if not during the Direct but not after

grizby2

Smash Lord
sakurai is definitely targeting fan service. so the next reveals are going to be very critical, since its going to be just outside of the games release, the FINAL "SMASH" so to speak. in hindsight, I think ridley should have been the last reveal. XD

trouble is, there are few characters who can make such an impact as powerful as ridley or k. Rool just as you guys stated.
I feel that the first character can be ANY highly requested character: shantae, isacc, bandana dee, ect.. something that says "this is definatelly something ALOT of you wanted"
(I would pick shantae, just to have that ONE indie rep, plus shes got great raport with Nintendo~ RIP Shovel knight.)

then I predict he'll pump out some more echos.
obvious/easy-to-produce ones like:
shadow
dixie
ninten
ken
birdo
mrs pac-man

then he'll go on to talk about the "mystery mode" that was censored out and all of its features.
he'll then thank us all for watching and the video will fade to some cinematics for the next world-shattering reveal.

it HAS to stand up in comparision with ridley and king K. something that cuts DEEP into all dedicated smash fans/Nintendo fans/video game fans. all the way down to their cores.

im thinking Geno, Banjo, crash bandicoot. something to THAT degree.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Most definitely Banjo-Kazooie, for the weight and meaning they carry. Representing the reunion of Nintendo and Rare, the most beloved partnership in gaming throughout the 90s, torn apart and breaking the hearts of gamers young and old everywhere... And Banjo-Kazooie in Smash Bros. being the moment that brings them back together, yeah, that's huge. Let alone the fact that they're owned by a rival console manufacturer making this reunion even more implausible, which would make the reveal even HUGER.

So yeah, I don't think Banjo-Kazooie could be topped, or could ever be topped. Simply for the meaning they would carry along with them. And that kind of impact is something you save for last.
Damn Right, If your gonna unveil a final character they better be a big name like Banjo Kazooie or Crash Bandicoot. (Main characters from a significant franchise) You want the reveal to make an impact and turn heads not just for Smash fans but also grab the attention of the entire video game industry. I'm probably gonna get a lot of hate for this ,but this is just my opinion, But I think it would be pretty underwhelming if Geno or Issac were the final characters unveiled, while their popular choices amongst the Smash community, Their pretty much niche characters in video gaming as a whole, Geno was a side character in a one off Mario game and Golden Sun was a niche series during the DS era. I want to see an unlikely newcomer pulled from left field with a reveal on the level of Sonic, Snake or Mega Man and I think Banjo Kazooie or Crash Bandicoot are the 2 next best candidates to close out the roster and end it with a bang.

Last edited:

heroscott

Smash Rookie
I'm thinking we'll get a followup reveal with Geno, Rayman, and Skull kid. Echos of Impa Ninten and Boshi! AT - Mallow
but then the Final would be a Banjo Kazooie and Crash reveal with cinematic Isaac ! Echoes Dixie, Shadow, Ken....
AT's- Rabbids, Conker, and Spyro

And Then... Sora with the Heartless (AT)

Rabbids and KH mii fighter gear sets

Last edited:

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
I don't quite see Crash as that big of a deal, at least, nothing compared to Banjo-Kazooie. Crash has a bit of rivalry with Nintendo during the early PS1 era, but it was honestly very tame compared to the rivalry with Sonic during the 16 bit era... So yeah, I don't think lesser Sonic would have as much impact. Plus it's just Activision, that's not really a big deal. Getting Microsoft on board on the other hand would be.

Sora though, that's a good point. Sora would be massive, simply for Disney being on board. It wouldn't carry as much meaning as Banjo-Kazooie, but I'd certainly rank Sora second place.

Blue7113

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW650454463802
Banjo-Kazooie, although Isaac and Geno would be massive as well. Honestly all three of them have a good shot at making it.

Raider 88

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Raider704
3DS FC
5086-1674-5462
Geno or Banjo for sure...unless Sakurai did something unthinkable like add Goku (hopefully not).

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I don't quite see Crash as that big of a deal, at least, nothing compared to Banjo-Kazooie. Crash has a bit of rivalry with Nintendo during the early PS1 era, but it was honestly very tame compared to the rivalry with Sonic during the 16 bit era... So yeah, I don't think lesser Sonic would have as much impact. Plus it's just Activision, that's not really a big deal. Getting Microsoft on board on the other hand would be.

Sora though, that's a good point. Sora would be massive, simply for Disney being on board. It wouldn't carry as much meaning as Banjo-Kazooie, but I'd certainly rank Sora second place.
Don't get me wrong I would much rather have Banjo Kazooie over Crash Bandicoot after all he's my most wanted newcomer , but with all the big names already in Smash, Crash would be my 2nd choice he also makes a lot of sense, remember he was pretty much the de facto mascot of the Playstation brand and was pretty big in the 90's and early 2000's and was one of the few Western video game franchises to actually find success and popularity in Japan, Hell Nintendo themselves referred to him as a "gaming icon" when the N.Sane Trilogy was announced for the Switch during a direct so I have to give credit where credit is due, As for Sora I don't like the idea of Disney invading Smash that would take away video gaming aspect of the universe it has created and open the floodgates to 4th Party Character ideas who are not of video game origin.

Last edited:

KingBroly

Smash Lord
It's going to be Geno or Banjo-Kazooie. I'm leaning towards the former, but the latter would shatter my fragile little mind.

letsgetsmashing

Smash Apprentice
In all honesty, I think it might be Waluigi. Now hear me out. Yes, Waluigi was shown as an assist trophy, but when that happened, my reaction was not the same as a lot of the Smash community's. Most people were outraged he was still an assist, while the first thing that popped to my mind was that Sakurai was obviously trolling. Now, if Sakurai would've just showed him off I would've thought nothing of it, but it's the manner in which he was revealed that makes me raise an eye at the situation. Waluigi was used to show off the new mechanic which allows you to KO assist trophies and earn a kill from it. I know Sakurai pretty well, and I know he's not like most video game developers. He has his fans best wishes at heart, and puts everything he has into making the best game possible for our enjoyment. So to me, it seems highly unlikely that he would not only deconfirm one of the most requested characters, but do it in a way that intentionally spat in the faces of the thousands around the world that had so much hope in Waluigi making it into the game. Sakurai loves to troll, and to me, this is textbook Sakurai trolling. I'm not here to say Waluigi is 100% in the game, I'm just trying to instigate a little bit of hope into Waluigi fans aroun the world. Besides, think of how awesome it would be if in the middle of a Nintendo direct that was showcasing assist trophies, Waluigi suddenly started KO'ing people and was revealed to be playable. Now that would be awesome!

StormC

Smash Hero
Definitely agree with everyone else and say Banjo. While he was arguably slightly less popular than K. Rool and Ridley, he was still overwhelmingly dominant on the ballot, and his inclusion would be more earth-shattering than them due to a historic team-up between competing first parties.

If the madman actually does it, Sakurai will be immortalized in video game history forever.

heroscott

Smash Rookie
Sora
Banjo Kazooie
Crash Bandicoot

Those three are my suggested candidates

But .....being revealed after Isaac, Geno, Skull Kid, Rayman and Shantae

Freecs

Smash Cadet
Tracer from Overwatch is the only one who would be as wtf as Cloud (they can’t do a WoW character because it doesn’t have a Japan release).

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
In all honesty, I think it might be Waluigi. Now hear me out. Yes, Waluigi was shown as an assist trophy, but when that happened, my reaction was not the same as a lot of the Smash community's. Most people were outraged he was still an assist, while the first thing that popped to my mind was that Sakurai was obviously trolling. Now, if Sakurai would've just showed him off I would've thought nothing of it, but it's the manner in which he was revealed that makes me raise an eye at the situation. Waluigi was used to show off the new mechanic which allows you to KO assist trophies and earn a kill from it. I know Sakurai pretty well, and I know he's not like most video game developers. He has his fans best wishes at heart, and puts everything he has into making the best game possible for our enjoyment. So to me, it seems highly unlikely that he would not only deconfirm one of the most requested characters, but do it in a way that intentionally spat in the faces of the thousands around the world that had so much hope in Waluigi making it into the game. Sakurai loves to troll, and to me, this is textbook Sakurai trolling. I'm not here to say Waluigi is 100% in the game, I'm just trying to instigate a little bit of hope into Waluigi fans aroun the world. Besides, think of how awesome it would be if in the middle of a Nintendo direct that was showcasing assist trophies, Waluigi suddenly started KO'ing people and was revealed to be playable. Now that would be awesome!
I wish people would stop with all these Waluigi and Ashley conspiracies. This is coming from someone who supports both: I know denial is like the first stage of crisis or whatever, but you really need to move on.

Smithn

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 4332 5240 6154
I agree with everyone saying Geno or Banjo. Both would be nostalgic returns and are wanted enough to make a big splash. Sora would be huge too, if they somehow managed to work something out with Disney.

letsgetsmashing

Smash Apprentice
I wish people would stop with all these Waluigi and Ashley conspiracies. This is coming from someone who supports both: I know denial is like the first stage of crisis or whatever, but you really need to move on.
I'm not a huge Waluigi supporter, which is why I think I am so hopeful of his inclusion. When he was announced as an assist trophy I was not sad, but rathern jumped to the most logical conclusion which was it being a troll.

letsgetsmashing

Smash Apprentice
Banjo being announced would be awesome though, seeing him rejoined the Nintendo family in the grandest way possible.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I'm not a huge Waluigi supporter, which is why I think I am so hopeful of his inclusion. When he was announced as an assist trophy I was not sad, but rathern jumped to the most logical conclusion which was it being a troll.
The most logical conclusion is that he’s an Assist Trophy. Occam’s razor and all that.

WIldBam

Smash Apprentice
A lot of people seem to be thinking long the same lines as who this could be. I should also throw in my opinion as well.

I think the last character revealed should be something that makes all video gamers and even some of the general public that has small interest in games, a bit shocked. Something that makes people question; "How did they pull this off"?

Looking back on the reveals and their timing so far, they have all been on point and slotted for reveals in prime moments and smartly been sprinkling less exciting (but still pretty cool) echo characters in between.

Inklings were a great first reveal, a new Nintendo IP that's really popular, a great way to start off the hype for the new game.

Ridley was an E3 showstopper. The perfect way for them to cap off their E3 direct (even though the presentation itself was not that great) was with a character that was thought by many as not possible to implement. If I recall correctly, even Sakurai alluding to him being impossible years ago.

Starting the direct with Simon Belmont, which I thought was pretty big for Konami to get more characters in since I was under the impression third parties were relegated to one character each, was absolutely great and would have been cool if he was the only reveal.

Then capping the direct with King K. Rool was great too, leaving us with even one more big reveal. A character that was long requested and very fitting to be including in the game.

Now, if Nintendo wants to reveal their biggest card last, I don't think Isaac and Geno would quite fit. I see both of them being in too similar a boat like K. Rool and Simon Belmont respectively.

Isaac is like K. Rool in that he is a character that a lot of fans want, and he is an old Nintendo owned character, there aren't really any hurdles to putting him in and it wouldn't shock too many people if He was in. I would be happy he was in, but I would be a bit underwhelmed if he was the last big thing revealed before the game came out.

As for Geno, if Square was willing to have Cloud be put in, and third parties are able to have more than one character, then I would not be as surprised if Geno got in now that Simon already showed that third prties don't have a cap. Plus, with the way Sakurai showed off Geno's mii costume for ssb4, I feel like he's an obvious shoe in. Again, a reveal I would be happy with, but underwhelmed as the last character to be revealed.

Honestly, in order to be the most shocking and biggest character reveal at this point, we need to have someone from either Sony or Microsoft show up. A regular third party is pretty common now and only a direct Nintendo competitor would make the majority of people gasp. That would definitely make anyone turn their heads. So, I would also say Banjo would be the best pick considering his history with Nintendo and his current ownership under Microsoft.

SamDunk

Smash Cadet
It might not be anyone too special like people are speculating. For Brawl, the last reveal before (Japanese) launch was Sheik, and for Smash 4 it was Shulk (unless I'm mistaken). Both were popular choices, but neither one was especially surprising or significantly more popular than other characters.

StormC

Smash Hero
It might not be anyone too special like people are speculating. For Brawl, the last reveal before (Japanese) launch was Sheik, and for Smash 4 it was Shulk (unless I'm mistaken). Both were popular choices, but neither one was especially surprising or significantly more popular than other characters.
The difference is there were secret characters at that point, but now all of them will be revealed before the game is out. They'll want to go out on a bang.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
A lot of people seem to be thinking long the same lines as who this could be. I should also throw in my opinion as well.

I think the last character revealed should be something that makes all video gamers and even some of the general public that has small interest in games, a bit shocked. Something that makes people question; "How did they pull this off"?

Looking back on the reveals and their timing so far, they have all been on point and slotted for reveals in prime moments and smartly been sprinkling less exciting (but still pretty cool) echo characters in between.

Inklings were a great first reveal, a new Nintendo IP that's really popular, a great way to start off the hype for the new game.

Ridley was an E3 showstopper. The perfect way for them to cap off their E3 direct (even though the presentation itself was not that great) was with a character that was thought by many as not possible to implement. If I recall correctly, even Sakurai alluding to him being impossible years ago.

Starting the direct with Simon Belmont, which I thought was pretty big for Konami to get more characters in since I was under the impression third parties were relegated to one character each, was absolutely great and would have been cool if he was the only reveal.

Then capping the direct with King K. Rool was great too, leaving us with even one more big reveal. A character that was long requested and very fitting to be including in the game.

Now, if Nintendo wants to reveal their biggest card last, I don't think Isaac and Geno would quite fit. I see both of them being in too similar a boat like K. Rool and Simon Belmont respectively.

Isaac is like K. Rool in that he is a character that a lot of fans want, and he is an old Nintendo owned character, there aren't really any hurdles to putting him in and it wouldn't shock too many people if He was in. I would be happy he was in, but I would be a bit underwhelmed if he was the last big thing revealed before the game came out.

As for Geno, if Square was willing to have Cloud be put in, and third parties are able to have more than one character, then I would not be as surprised if Geno got in now that Simon already showed that third prties don't have a cap. Plus, with the way Sakurai showed off Geno's mii costume for ssb4, I feel like he's an obvious shoe in. Again, a reveal I would be happy with, but underwhelmed as the last character to be revealed.

Honestly, in order to be the most shocking and biggest character reveal at this point, we need to have someone from either Sony or Microsoft show up. A regular third party is pretty common now and only a direct Nintendo competitor would make the majority of people gasp. That would definitely make anyone turn their heads. So, I would also say Banjo would be the best pick considering his history with Nintendo and his current ownership under Microsoft.
This guy gets it !!! Going with a 1st Party Character is kind of predictable and playing it safe, If you want to make an impact It's gotta be 3rd Party Character from left field, someone thought impossible to get and Banjo-Kazooie are absolutely the most logically choice. Getting a former Nintendo All-Star and now a 1st Party Xbox Character reuniting to join a Nintendo themed Brawler would be the most mind blowing and ultimate final reveal.

Last edited:

Gooper Blooper

Smash Apprentice
Well considering we always have 1 kinda odd throwback character (G&W, Rob, and Duck Hunt) I wouldn't be surprised if that would be the last one revealed, but who it could be is a mystery to me.

It would be hilarious if in the end of the final reveal Master Hand joined the fight.

KatKit

Smash Lord
I'm guessing that it's an unexpected, female first-party character from a relatively recent and popular franchise with no playable reps (yet). Naturally, this character will fill in the "WTF?" factor ala Ness, Mr. Game and Watch, and ROB. Nothing generates hype like controversy. The internet will collectively explode because instead of <insert fan favorite here>, they get her. Fan reactions will vary; people will praise Sakurai for his boldness and the character's uniqueness, and others will lash out or be disappointed. There will be hilarious and creepy fan art (similar to Wii Fit Trainer) and people will talk about it online until the game's release. More people will become interested in her highly underrated series as well. Regardless, a majority of people will be very surprised, and she will fit in perfectly (pun intended) for Smash in the end. Which character am I talking about? The Savvy Stylist!

Last edited:

11th

Smash Apprentice
Off the wall guess: The last big announcement will be about the undiscussed mode, not a character.

If it is a character, though, then I have no clue. I feel like we're almost out of heavy hitters, and what we do have left doesn't match Ridley and K. Rool in the eyes of the fanbase. I have no big expectations left and would just be excited to see something the dev team had a great time putting together (ex. the Castlevania announcement), but I know not everyone feels the same.

I'm starting to ask myself "If this character were the last character to ever be added to a Smash game, would it feel right?" Banjo/Kazooie and Geno would be on the bigger side, yes, and they both stand a decent chance at this point, but I don't know if I could see them filling that last spot.

Bayopuff

Smash Apprentice
For original fighters I'd say:
Geno
Banjo and Kazooie
Chorus Kids

Echoes:
Shadow
Dixie Kong
Impa

Last edited:

Loungemen

Smash Journeyman
It's GOTTA be Banjo and Kazooie

I want to see Vinesauce's reaction after he literally played us like a damn fiddle

Crash4Smash

Smash Apprentice
Ok, if we're talking about a character "nobody was expecting", then I want it to be a playable Sandbag
Maybe we should get a playable sandbag in Training mode! But only Training mode, and a stage hazard on/off toggle in training mode.

randy2dope

Smash Journeyman
I wanna see more fighting game love in the roster so like ryu's addition in the wii u with virtua fighter and tekken costumes i would love to see tekken or mortal kombat show up on the last slot

Top Bottom