• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Melee this December will turn 19 years old and I remember playing that during launch back in 2001. I feel like a dinosaur.
Ah I remember walking through Target when I was 9. My brother and I went to the games section and I said aloud "Smash Bros got a part 2?? Mom! Can we get this?! Pleeeeease!"

You're so lucky to have played it at launch! My brother and I didn't know it existed til we walked past it months after it came out. The launch hype must've been pretty special.
I remember playing Super Smash Brothers Kerfuffle on World War II radar equipment. It only had 3 playable characters, with Fire Emblem taking up 72% of the roster.
I've heard tales of this one. That was back when Mr. Game & Watch was this exciting new IP according to the archives. Of course, Fire Emblem gets great-great grandfathered in as usual...

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Ah I remember walking through Target when I was 9. My brother and I went to the games section and I said aloud "Smash Bros got a part 2?? Mom! Can we get this?! Pleeeeease!"

You're so lucky to have played it at launch! My brother and I didn't know it existed til we walked past it months after it came out. The launch hype must've been pretty special.
Melee was my first Smash game, so it was a surreal experience to me the first time I played it. Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, DKC, and Yoshi's Island/Story were the only Nintendo franchises I knew about or played games from prior to playing Melee for the first time. Melee was the first time I was introduced to Metroid, Star Fox, Kirby, Mother, F-Zero, Fire Emblem, and anything else Nintendo related so it was all overwhelming to me. I had a special experience with Smash for the first time because of this.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Melee was my first Smash game, so it was a surreal experience to me the first time I played it. Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, DKC, and Yoshi's Island/Story were the only Nintendo franchises I knew about or played games from prior to playing Melee for the first time. Melee was the first time I was introduced to Metroid, Star Fox, Kirby, Mother, F-Zero, Fire Emblem, and anything else Nintendo related so it was all overwhelming to me. I had a special experience with Smash for the first time because of this.
I have a similar story but with Brawl. I played both 64 and Melee growing up but never got interested in learning any of the other characters. Back then I only played Mario, DK, Sonic, licensed, and Pokemon spin-off games. It wasnt until Brawl and the Wii when I decided to branch out my Nintendo tastes. Brawl got me to try Metroid, F-Zero, Star Fox, Fire Emblem, Pikmin, Kirby, Zelda, Kid Icarus, Punch-Out, Wario Ware, Wario Land, Animal Crossing, etc.

Up until early-mid 2011 (the year I sold my Wii) I had purchased every 1st party Wii retail release and every 1st party VC release. Though granted by selling my Wii in mid 2011 I did miss out on Skyward Sword, Return to Dreamland, Mario Party 9, NPC: Pikmin 2, Xenoblade, Wii Play Motion, Rhythm Heaven Fever, and Fortune Street but besides those I really did my homework and played catch up to every Nintendo franchise I had missed and Im glad I did. Really opened my horizons. Fun fact: I didn't play DKC2 or DKC3 until the Wii VC.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
I had Smash 64 as a kid, I think shortly after it came out actually. I was already a fan of Nintendo from a pretty young age, but I didn't have a SNES until a little later, so Smash was my first introduction to Samus, Ness, and Captain Falcon.

Despite my love for SSB64, I somehow didn't realize Melee existed until someone in school told me about it like two years after it came out. Needless to say, I came home and told my mom all about it, and I eventually ended up getting it as a Christmas gift.

Melee's trophy section is where I filled in a lot of the gaps in my Nintendo knowledge, and by the time Brawl came around, I had at least heard of every new character introduced to the game.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
What's funny to me is that just prior to its release, Smash Melee did seem really cool, but the game (and by extension the series) didn't really become the phenomenon it did until some time after. Don't mistake this for me saying it wasn't a big deal because it most certainly was. Its just that at the time it felt like another big Gamecube sequel to a fun N64 game, something great to have at release as we all waited for Mario and Zelda to eventually make their respective debuts. The sheer depth, quality, and longevity of it was far more than I ever expected and I can recall seeing how much the fandom for it grew year by year. That gradual spike in popularity eventually explains why footage of Brawl at E3 2006 was such a huge moment.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord

I remember watching the commercial back in 1999 when I was 6 years old and to this very day it's probably my all time favorite video game commercial and Super Smash Bros (N64) probably became my most rented video game from Blockbuster as a kid.

"Mario, Pokemon and Donkey Kong" are my top 3 favorite Nintendo/Video game franchises overall and Yoshi is my all time favorite video game character as all of them were the core of my childhood and to see them beating the crap out of each other was the most coolest and badass thing ever and shaped me as a gamer today, It's like this commercial was made for me, They knew what I liked and who my favorite Nintendo/Video Game Characters were and then put it into a commercial and I have been hooked ever since.

Hell the only characters I knew at the time were the Mario/DK characters: Mario, Luigi, Yoshi, Donkey Kong and Pokemon characters: Pikachu and maybe Jigglypuff. Everyone else I didn't know, Hell for some reason at first I thought Kirby was a Pokemon probably because he and Jigglypuff shared a similar moveset.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Hey ya'll! How have you been doing lately? :dr^_^:

Been having a lot personal breakthroughs regarding formerly permeating way of stressful, ruminating high-standard living, which I'm finally about to let go to pursue much more carefree life where I can enjoy just living in the moments it brings.

Hey everyone, so I've been thinking about ways in which Dixie could use her hair--not just in Smash but for fighting games in general. So, after a couple nights brainstorming I doodled up a lot of new ideas, and I wanna separate them into categories.

The first category I wanna show is what I'm gonna call "Hair Pivots"; this is basically maneuvers and attacks where Dixie uses her hair to support herself while another body part performs an attack. It's one of many ways that show how her hair itself can do more than smack enemies. Speaking of which, here's an example:

Dixie can perform a reverse Flip Kick! By using her hair as a balancing agent, Dixie kicks both feet out behind her and uses the momentum as well as her ponytail to swing her legs in an arc. As she does so, her ponytail supports her entire body and allows her to extend her reach past the length of her limbs; Dixie's granted a field of range that's unusual for a Kong her size, with a move that's performed swiftly and gracefully thanks to its momentum. This is perfect for enemies trying to sneak up on Dixie as it's guaranteed to knock them backwards and upwards. The attack is quite strong overall, and one of its greatest assets is how startlingly fast she can perform it. As it's meant to deal with sneak attacks it can come without warning, so beware.

Very proud to show this one. I'm trying to give her an acrobatic flair while balancing the chimpiness and the girly/cartoony aspect. My headcanon is that each Kong has broken most of their bones at least twice in the jungle, so contorting should be no sweat. This concept is a general idea that can work for any fighting game, but in the context of Smash this is definitely Up Tilt or Up Smash material, but anyone who sees this is free to use it however they like for whatever. Speaking of fighting games, this is actually inspired by Cammy from Street Fighter; obviously Cammy can't use her hair to help her do this, but that's where I got the inspiration.

Hope everyone likes this, and please put this on twitter whenever you want!

Honestly, it's demonstrations like these that has me throughly confused why Dixie hasn't caught Sakurai's eye yet to explore the moveset possibilities with her hair. Your excellent artwork showcases this perfectly.

1598062367439.png

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Hey ya'll! How have you been doing lately? :dr^_^:

Been having a lot personal breakthroughs regarding formerly permeating way of stressful, ruminating high-standard living, which I'm finally about to let go to pursue much more carefree life where I can enjoy just living in the moments it brings.

Honestly, it's demonstrations like these that has me throughly confused why Dixie hasn't caught Sakurai's eye yet to explore the moveset possibilities with her hair. Your excellent artwork showcases this perfectly.

View attachment 283073
Thank you! I've been doing very well lately, all things considered. I got a rush of ideas for Dixie and started to doodle them out which led to that drawing. There'll be more soon, but in the meantime I hope the breakthroughs you're having lead to a life you enjoy. Always cool to have you stop by.

Fuzzy Pickles!

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-1409-9782-5984

I've heard tales of this one. That was back when Mr. Game & Watch was this exciting new IP according to the archives. Of course, Fire Emblem gets great-great grandfathered in as usual...
Funny you say that. I literally did not even know there was a sequel to the N64 game until I got a GameCube for Christmas in 2005. I asked for Mario Party 7 and got Super Smash Bros. Melee, Super Mario Sunshine, and The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker along with it. It's fascinating to hear stories from those who anticipated Melee and even the original game. Heck, I didn't even know there was a Super Smash Bros. game until I rented it back along with my brothers back in I think 2000 or so.

On topic, I agree that Lanky Kong should return. IMO, so should Chunky, at least if it is a 3D DK game like I hope we get again.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Hey so let's say the next DKC has DK, Diddy, and Dixie playable, but there's 2 extra Kongs and it's entirely up to you. Who would you choose?

I'm gonna go with Lanky and just as a WTF...Ninja Kong. Nobody would see that coming lol. Imagine all the Shinobi-esque gameplay ideas he could rip off
I like Cranky's DuckTales bouncing so him for sure, and Lanky could really use the comeback and I'd like to see how Retro does stretchy arms, so those two for me.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Yeah, I figured Cranky would be hard to cut since his cane bouncing is so versatile and he's definitely earned a spot as the 4th Kong. Lanky seems to be a fan favorite; stretchy arms is a power that writes itself, but what would y'all have him do?

So it doesn't look like I'm mining ideas without providing my own, I'll share some. Let's say on DK's back, for his version of that Infinite Log Roll that Diddy/Dixie/Cranky uses on DK, Lanky stretches his arms long enough to connect to his feet, forming a wheel. With DK in this wheel, he runs like he's on a tread or like a hamster in a ball. This gives him the same speed as when DD/DX/CK roll DK, but DK and LK have a larger hit radius as they plow through obstacles. Lanky can pair up with any Kong and use this. Another idea is to incorporate Baboon Balloon like Blimp Yoshi from Galaxy 2.

Ninja Kong is an upset choice. Maybe I'll come up with ninja platforming ideas for him later, but with a gorilla flair.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Gotta agree with the posts above me. Cranky and Lanky would be my choices as well. Funky was just easy/baby mode rather have him stay the shop keep. Kiddy is wack and I tried to think of clever ways of using Tiny and Chunky in a 2D setting and IMO they just wouldn't work well in Retro's DKC IMO when the Kongs are just glorified power-ups. I can't even picture Lanky riding on DK's back. Lol

If Rare was still making new DKC games I'd imagine Tiny would play like DK's version of the mini mushroom in NSMB games (able to access bonus rooms only available while tiny) and Chunky would just be the Mega Mushroom equivalent i.e. a gimmick that only works on certain stages for a limited amount of time to farm lives..

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Gotta agree with the posts above me. Cranky and Lanky would be my choices as well. Funky was just easy/baby mode rather have him stay the shop keep. Kiddy is wack and I tried to think of clever ways of using Tiny and Chunky in a 2D setting and IMO they just wouldn't work well in Retro's DKC IMO when the Kongs are just glorified power-ups. I can't even picture Lanky riding on DK's back. Lol

If Rare was still making new DKC games I'd imagine Tiny would play like DK's version of the mini mushroom in NSMB games (able to access bonus rooms only available while tiny) and Chunky would just be the Mega Mushroom equivalent i.e. a gimmick that only works on certain stages for a limited amount of time to farm lives..
Have you played the original Rayman, Rayman Origins and Rayman Legends? They have...."seamless" shrinking segments and they could incorporate Tiny's ability like that.

EDIT: Here's an example
It automatically activates with any funnel, so theoretically they could layer segments into a level that are optional if Tiny's not present.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I agree on Lanky as the new character from all the Kongs from before. Tiny and Chunky sadly seem to be too much off-shoots of the DKC3-protagonists they were related to. However, what if we got Klubba from DKC2 as a surprise partner? :dr^_^:

I remember getting my first introduction to Smash through 64 that was lent from one my siblings' friends back when I was reachinh 10 years old. Having played some Nintendo 64-titles featuring Mario, Link and Yoshi before + seeing Donkey Kong and Pikachu from their respective TV appearances, you can imagine my collective face of confusion and dawning awe when realizing they were like a "family" of sort in the company that created/owned them.

View attachment 283416

Melee followed later through finding it first time from the coveted sleepovers in our more rich cousins' that happened to own nice supply of game consoles, including PS1, N64 and Gamecube. I can tell I basically worshipped Ash cuz' I kept thinking Ness somehow was related to him or something.

Another thing I noted was how much I loved watching Star KOs happen in both games - It was like if someone took Team Rocket's blastoffs and made them appear like they were taken from a Goofy-short.

View attachment 283417
Have you played the original Rayman, Rayman Origins and Rayman Legends? They have...."seamless" shrinking segments and they could incorporate Tiny's ability like that.

EDIT: Here's an example
It automatically activates with any funnel, so theoretically they could layer segments into a level that are optional if Tiny's not present.
Now that's one fine way of incorporating Tiny. If we could also work in the various fun mechanics of Mini Mushroom from NSMB-games, like running on water, floatier air speed and like - we'd have very fun implementation of her.

View attachment 283413

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny

I remember watching the commercial back in 1999 when I was 6 years old and to this very day it's probably my all time favorite video game commercial and Super Smash Bros (N64) probably became my most rented video game from Blockbuster as a kid.

"Mario, Pokemon and Donkey Kong" are my top 3 favorite Nintendo/Video game franchises overall and Yoshi is my all time favorite video game character as all of them were the core of my childhood and to see them beating the crap out of each other was the most coolest and badass thing ever and shaped me as a gamer today, It's like this commercial was made for me, They knew what I liked and who my favorite Nintendo/Video Game Characters were and then put it into a commercial and I have been hooked ever since.

Hell the only characters I knew at the time were the Mario/DK characters: Mario, Luigi, Yoshi, Donkey Kong and Pokemon characters: Pikachu and maybe Jigglypuff. Everyone else I didn't know, Hell for some reason at first I thought Kirby was a Pokemon probably because he and Jigglypuff shared a similar moveset.
Man, I remember seeing that commercial with my older brother (the same one from the Target story earlier) when I was 7. We saw them skipping in the field and were like "Ummmm...Ok"...and then the fight started. We couldn't believe what we saw and we HOWLING with laughter! We never thought Nintendo characters would fight each other; outside of Mario Kart we never thought they'd even be in the same game! But right after that commercial, we ran to our mom and told her about this game where Mario, Donkey Kong, Yoshi and Pikachu beat each other up and BEGGED her to buy it for us. She gave us a nonchalant ok; it had to be a Monday or Tuesday when we asked her, and on Friday she got it for us!

My brother and I were ecstatic! We had JUST asked for it and almost never got a game that quickly it was insane! We played Classic Mode first and were quickly disappointed, but when we got to multiplayer we realized THAT'S where all of the fun was. We would enjoy that game for years, until we walked past Melee in 2002.

DeniroSerafim

Smash Apprentice
I know there hasn't been much news at all lately, but how is everyone generally feeling about Dixie's chances of getting in right now? I'm still optimistic, I do believe Nintendo wants to make the DK IP bigger, and adding a character to Smash is definitely a good way to promote the series. That being said, I'm trying to not get my hopes up, there's no guarantee things will go our way.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Hey so let's say the next DKC has DK, Diddy, and Dixie playable, but there's 2 extra Kongs and it's entirely up to you. Who would you choose?

I'm gonna go with Lanky and just as a WTF...Ninja Kong. Nobody would see that coming lol. Imagine all the Shinobi-esque gameplay ideas he could rip off
The two extra Kongs I would choose are Lanky and Funky. They have the most personality, and the best possible unique potential to bring as gameplay. I also think Cranky fits better as NPC, cause that allows him to actually be... Cranky. And I like my Cranky cranky.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord

Without a doubt it would be Chunky and Lanky Kong.

- Chunky Kong might honestly be my most favorite Kong just barely edging out DK and Diddy, He was always my favorite in DK 64 growing up and the DK Rap alone sold me on him as he was the funniest of the bunch, Always thought his Pineapple Launcher, Primeate Punch and Shockwave Burp were the coolest weapons/attacks and love his backwards baseball cap and vest combo, Which is a look I adopted at times because of him, Still sucks to see Nintendo not really use any of the DK 64 Kongs, Especially Chunky, At least Lanky and Tiny have made appearances in the very occasional spinoffs and seeing how Nintendo wants to reestablish DK as the strongest and most powerful Kong so they may want to sweep him under the rug, But I still think "This Kong is one hell of a guy"

- While Chunky was my favorite DK 64 Kong, I love Lanky too and he was an awesome and unique addition to the cast with his signature arm stretching abilities and "Inflates himself just like a balloon", I will say he definitely stands out and brings more to the table than any of the other supporting Kongs.

Would absolutely love for both to return either a Donkey Kong Country (Doubt it), DK 3D (Maybe, But not likely) or a Spinoff (Likeliest).

Last edited:

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
Lanky Kong is a good choice and it would be fun to see how he translates to a 2D platformer, but actually I think it would be interesting to see Wrinkly Kong as a playable character. She would be a very irregular character but I think there's a lot of creativity to be found with her having ghost abilities.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I member how simple life was back then.

Hopefully his girlfriend will join him soon.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Lanky Kong is a good choice and it would be fun to see how he translates to a 2D platformer, but actually I think it would be interesting to see Wrinkly Kong as a playable character. She would be a very irregular character but I think there's a lot of creativity to be found with her having ghost abilities.
Ah I didn't even THINK of Wrinkly! She'd be such a good gameplay idea. Wonder how they'd go about hurting her since she's a ghost. Maybe..she's a partner that can't be knocked away but whoever she's paired with gets no boost in health? Since she's ghostly she won't need to ride any Kong's shoulder and can travel with any Kong like the SNES days; wouldn't have to worry about collision for the most part. Perhaps she can harass enemies like the Luma in Galaxy's co-star mode, or some type of possession like Odyssey's Cappy. Maybe she could be the Baby Mode that Funky offers? Just spitballing ideas, not dead set on any particular one of course.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I think Dixie would probably feel best around Lucina or female Byleth from the Fire Emblem crew. Especially Lucina, as she's also considered one of Nintendo's core female elitist heroines as Samus, Dixie, Peach and Krystal. Ike and his fighting for friends seems more in line with Diddy, and they're both Brawl veterans, my most wanted Brawl veterans even.

DX_E

Smash Apprentice
I disagree, I think Ike would get annoyed by Diddy and his monkey ways really quickly. Dixie, though. Complete respect.

Out of the female cast of Smash I can see her rocking out and clicking with Samus, Inkling, Kazooie, Pokemon Trainer, Min-min and Daisy the most. She would get along with Isabelle but that's because Isabelle gets along with everyone.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I member how simple life was back then.

Hopefully his girlfriend will join him soon.
I hope we don't have to wait for Dixie for a decade just like with Diddy and K. Rool. It's damn time DK, Diddy, K. Rool, and Dixie were all in the roster together by now.

Darkerik

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0563-4902-5513
I think Dixie would probably feel best around Lucina or female Byleth from the Fire Emblem crew. Especially Lucina, as she's also considered one of Nintendo's core female elitist heroines as Samus, Dixie, Peach and Krystal. Ike and his fighting for friends seems more in line with Diddy, and they're both Brawl veterans, my most wanted Brawl veterans even.
I think Dixie can be friend of Lucas and Terry. Lucas some kind of reference of salsa and Terry cuz bot have ponytail lol

Top Bottom