• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Knee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
Good to know the good Captain's signature move is still intact for Brawl, Sakurai knew he couldn't taint the knee.

Mike Hawk

Smash Journeyman
i just finished playing the game extensively, as a falcon main i was really disappointed on this ver of falcon

the knee is nerfed(did not kill luigi at 70%)
the knee can no longer be combo'ed into(as far as i've tried)
the knee cancels too early next to the ground so a ground knee is nearlly impossible
the sweet spot window is shortened.
too weird start up lag.

i would like to compose a full report on falcon but i got to go to sleep and i am going to practically wake up to go to work so dont expect anything soon.

myRoboticClaw

Smash Apprentice
So I just got done playing Brawl at a friends house (who ordered the game and Wii from Japan), and I'll offer some of my first impressions. I main Falcon in Melee, and have a very good understanding of the character.
The first thing I'd like to say is that landing the knee is MUCH harder, but still has the same end-of-the-universe destructive power. Time actually stops when you connect it, but actually connecting it is very difficult to do. I had no problem tapping people with it, such as in Melee when it wasn't sweet spotted, but rarely could I do otherwise. I tried several different throw to knee combos and nothing was working for me. The timing has to be spot on now, and you have to release the knee right as you touch the person, and not any sooner.
Falcons back-air did seem to be beefed up a bit, and was how I usually ended up killing people. His up-air "resembles the N64's UAir. specially when you hit with the back or it."(Thanks Mike Hawk) This is a really good move, and I did KO with it a few times.
His neutral-air is very very good, and will still be his primary move I think. It was hard for anyone to punish me really bad when I used it.
His forward-B and down-B are the same, and are actually a lot better. Forward-B is harder to shield grab, and actually works if you do it in the air now and hit someone. The lag has been reduced if you miss. Also, I didn't have a chance to test this myself, but my friends informed me that his forward-B now grabs the ledge. Not sure if this is true or not, but I suspect it is. His down-B is very fast now, and has less recovery time. It doesn't have K-O power, but is good for racking up some more damage. The falcon punch is much faster and may actually serve as a move that can be used during 1vs.1 play. The overall game play is slower, and tactics rely more on mind-gaming your opponent into your moves, and falcon punch is a very tricky move. I figured out that you can reverse the falcon punch ON THE GROUND now. After the start-up animation I was able to press the opposite direction to switch the direction of the punch. As you can probably see, this might make for some nice mind-gaming abilities. You can start the punch, and reverse it if you think someone will roll behind you.
Dance-dashing was not working at all for me, which was extremely important to Falcon's game play in Melee. Also, with L-canceling and wave-dashing gone, Falcon is a much harder character to use. Any Falcon mains will have their hands full learning the new Falcon I think. His moves are ALL the same, but how he moves isn't. It's all about mind-games and spacing now, and less so about spamming neutral-airs and knees.
Also, in case anyone doesn't know, "Show me your moves" is back. He also has two other pretty cool taunts. The bad news, however, is the first thing I thought after taunting was "Wow, falcon is a queer."
While taunting, he puts one hand on his hip, and salutes with the other, and with a slightly more feminine voice says his classic line. He may have just appeared to be like this to me because I was using the pink costume though, which is also back by the way, but you'll have to decide for yourself. Still funny as hell though.
Overall, I enjoyed the game very much. I'll be playing more tomorrow, so if anyone has questions let me know. The game is very different than Melee and will take some getting used to. At first I was unsure, but now I absolutely love it, and hopefully everyone else will too.

Mike Hawk

Smash Journeyman
i have to disagree with you on the UAir

it resembles the N64's UAir. specially when you hit with the back or it.

Mike Hawk

Smash Journeyman
Would you say that it is pretty good? Did I under or overrate it?
no i would say that it might just replace the knee as the main KO move but otherwise your report was dead on. couldnt have written any better myself.

edit: i would like to add that the throw are now pretty useless, though i did see many combo posibilities falcon just isnt fast enough to catch up and continue.

also if you do a dashing up smash falcon slides for the lenght of 2 bodies and then performs instead of performing dead on the spot.

saberhof

Smash Master
can you jump out of the downb? as a recovery?..

and i thought L canceling is still in, just a diferent way of doing it...>_>(in gimpy's thread)

myRoboticClaw

Smash Apprentice
can you jump out of the downb? as a recovery?..

and i thought L canceling is still in, just a diferent way of doing it...>_>(in gimpy's thread)
You can't jump out of down-b. I am not sure about L-canceling yet. Some of the moves are auto-canceled though.

Urb

Smash Journeyman
Ahhh, C. Falcon, the ultimate character. The looks, the speed, the voice acting, the punches,...the KNEE! Ofcourse the KNEE will still be good! The animation itself makes it a crazy move! Also, Sakurai is smart enough to realize that he either make the knee as awsome as it is in melee or suffer a full scale riot by the International Falcon Knee Fan Club (IFKFC).
Knee FTW!
Hmmmm...you know, the good Cap'n probably has to be careful when getting in the tub to not hit it with his knee, he might electrocute himself!

BDawgPHD

Smash Ace
Does the Falcon Kick give CF his jump back when he's recovering?

Also, hooray for Falcon, I knew he was gonna be **** in Brawl. Falcon and Link for top tier :D

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
The first thing I'd like to say is that landing the knee is MUCH harder, but still has the same end-of-the-universe destructive power.
Would you say that the sweet-spot is masterable with practice or is it just too difficult to be depended on in battle no matter how long you practice? I've seen a lot of weak knees in different Brawl videos, and to be honest the weak knee sucks. So if the sweet-spot is so difficult to land that it's not a good move to depend on for critical kill oppourtunities, I don't see it as a useful move at all. Would you say the knee is still useful or no? Thanks.

myRoboticClaw

Smash Apprentice
Would you say that the sweet-spot is masterable with practice or is it just too difficult to be depended on in battle no matter how long you practice? I've seen a lot of weak knees in different Brawl videos, and to be honest the weak knee sucks. So if the sweet-spot is so difficult to land that it's not a good move to depend on for critical kill oppourtunities, I don't see it as a useful move at all. Would you say the knee is still useful or no? Thanks.
From what I've played now it doesn't seem like it is going to be a dependable kill move. It might be good for a stock, but I wouldn't count on it. Up-air and Back-air are much easier. Rather disapointing, but there is still a lot to be discovered and I may be wrong.

Does the Falcon Kick give CF his jump back when he's recovering?

Also, hooray for Falcon, I knew he was gonna be **** in Brawl. Falcon and Link for top tier :D

The kick does not give his second jump back, but recovery IS much easier and not really a problem. There wasn't really a time while playing all day yesterday when I had trouble getting back. Also, his forward be DOES grab the edge now for sure, which is rather nice. I don't want to make anyone sad, but I am not too happy with falcon at this point. He is very hard to combo with and just isn't the same without a more effective knee. I'm just hoping people are able to discover some bad@$$ techniques that will make him awesome again.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
I don't want to make anyone sad, but I am not too happy with falcon at this point.
Yeah that's the impressions I've been getting from people I've been talking to so far. That really sucks because he was by far my favorite (and best) character in Melee. I'm sure he'll still be fun but it is looking like he won't be my main anymore.

BDawgPHD

Smash Ace
Well, hopefully we'll get some badass videos of Captain Falcon pwnin noobs :) he always owned in the nastiest fashion in the past, he won't be the same if he doesn't in brawl =/

Afro_Ninja

Smash Apprentice
ya know I'm kinda sad now, I was looking forward to making an updated knee video eventually. but it looks like the knee wont be as hated anymore, since any random set of moves wont combo into it : (

Kips

Smash Ace
Yeah it looks like a pain to land any Knees at all. At least it still retains its awesome black hole vortex powers. Never forget..
TEH KNEE!!!111!!! Because it can still be landed by mindgames, son.

GenG

Smash Lord
The knee is almost impossible to chain in combos in Brawl. Throws and Raptor Boost don't work, plus he's too floaty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom