• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The kirby guide

Smasherx74

Smash Journeyman
Well, when you first start out with
the hardest character in the world to play with,
kirby, you must first understand the art of the kirby.

- Ground -

When you and the other person are on the ground, take fox for example. Fox is better at combing on ground and has quicker moves, so you as kirby are going to have to be able to own the ground. Turning around and utilting is a good way to get them off the ground for a opening for a air combo. It also is good to hold them down for a couple of hits and get some damage on them. If they are good di you should turn around and utilt the other way, always face to the right if there on your left and vise versa so your hit box is larger. Also Short hop then dair is another good move to do on ground. Just drill, guess were they roll to and keep on drilling. If they are at a high % like 130% then guess were they go after they roll from ground dair and use Bdown which turns you into rock and does good knock back. owning the ground also makes you perfect for smaller maps and large maps. Own the ground and you force them to play in air which kirby is naturally all around better in.

- Air -

Kirby is a master of air sense he is a puff. He also has dair to spike people. When using kirby in air always remember this. Nair is to forward hit knock them. Bair is also another knock back move but also can be used to combo into a tilt or wall ****. Dair is good to spike with and get damage with and use to open into many combos. Fair is used for many many reasons. The best way to use Fair is to time it for best damage. When they are in the drill of fair tap forwards bit so at very end you go off them instead of knocking them back if in middle of map. This way they are behind you and u have them in 1 frame stun so they can't do anything in result you have opening to do Bair for knock back. Also Fair can be used off map to edge guard them to keep them from the map. Or it can be used to Fast fall, Fair, Turn around on ground and utilt which opens up for the kirby combo.

- Edge guard -

A good kirby knows how to edge guard. Edge guarding with kirby is one of kirbys best things to do. If you know what your doing you can make it impossible for them to regain any jumps or get back to map. Lets start with knocking them back when off edge. Good thing to do if you see them from middle hight coming to the map use final cutter up B to shoot them off. Up B for kirby isn't always to spike it also can be used as a ranged attack. This does some good knock back too. Also Nair and Bair are good to use off edge when they are recovering too. Also one of the worse thing i seen newer players do is Fast fall dair with kirby. NO you never fast fall and Dair with kirby. You always float and dair. Never fast fall. If they are extremely close to edge and about to grab it you Dair right on edge of it so the hit box is pushed to spike them but u never go off the edge. Also when on edge if you just drop off to other side and Bair or Dair is also another good way that some people don't expect.

I hope this guide helps some new players who love kirby understand how to use him better. Also if you want videos of kirby players just message me and ill show you some.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
Why is Kirby the hardest character in the world to play with?
Number one, if he were, he wouldn't be so high on the tier list, and number two, I **** people with Kirby all the time and I'm only average.

Smasherx74

Smash Journeyman
Number one, if he were, he wouldn't be so high on the tier list, and number two, I **** people with Kirby all the time and I'm only average.
Okay, sense you seem new ill break it down for you.

MATTS! is the most known kirby player for only playing kirby and still being bad at smash 64. Even though hes a cool guy, his rep is bad and funny. He for a long time said kirby is hardest person to play with. Sense this is a kirby guide i said the hardest character, kirby in a shout out to him. Does that answer your question? >_>

teganyavo

Smash Rookie
Kirby is the hardest character to play with because you have to listen to your friends complain about kirby

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
Okay, sense you seem new ill break it down for you.

MATTS! is the most known kirby player for only playing kirby and still being bad at smash 64. Even though hes a cool guy, his rep is bad and funny. He for a long time said kirby is hardest person to play with. Sense this is a kirby guide i said the hardest character, kirby in a shout out to him. Does that answer your question? >_>
yeah, but you could have been a little nicer about it...
besides, the only pro 64 players I feel are worth watching are Isai and Superboomfan. That's why I don't bother following the smash 64 scene, or the Brawl scene for that matter. Though thats more because Brawl is just boring to watch.

Smasherx74

Smash Journeyman
yeah, but you could have been a little nicer about it...
besides, the only pro 64 players I feel are worth watching are Isai and Superboomfan. That's why I don't bother following the smash 64 scene, or the Brawl scene for that matter. Though thats more because Brawl is just boring to watch.
LOL, your stupidity is overwhelming, first of all don't say "pro" that sounds ********. Second of all lots of people have beat boomfan and isai. Boomfan is 2nd best isai is 1st best on console. But boomfan wasn't always 2nd best. Also iv beat boomfan online before and iv beat isai's online gameplay in teams before. Also isai and boomfan videos aren't that entertaining. Sure its fun to watch someone Fast fall uair and zcancel and mess around but anyone can do that. BUt if your watching to try to learn from it, its pointless. Just play anf you will get better.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
LOL, your stupidity is overwhelming, first of all don't say "pro" that sounds ********. Second of all lots of people have beat boomfan and isai. Boomfan is 2nd best isai is 1st best on console. But boomfan wasn't always 2nd best. Also iv beat boomfan online before and iv beat isai's online gameplay in teams before. Also isai and boomfan videos aren't that entertaining. Sure its fun to watch someone Fast fall uair and zcancel and mess around but anyone can do that. BUt if your watching to try to learn from it, its pointless. Just play anf you will get better.
I don't think I've ever met such a douchebag on this site, you give gamefaqs posters a run for their money.
I already said I don't follow the smash 64 scene, that doesn't make me stupid therefore to say that I think boomfan and isai are the best. If you think you're as good as them, prove it to me.
People use the word "pro" all the time to refer to higher level smashers, I don't know what your problem is with it. Also beating someone on-line isn't the same as beating them in real life.
And the only experience I have with higher level smash 64 is what I've seen on youtube, which to me is really impressive. I've never met or played anyone online or offline as good as them.

Smasherx74

Smash Journeyman
I don't think I've ever met such a douchebag on this site, you give gamefaqs posters a run for their money.
I already said I don't follow the smash 64 scene, that doesn't make me stupid therefore to say that I think boomfan and isai are the best. If you think you're as good as them, prove it to me.
People use the word "pro" all the time to refer to higher level smashers, I don't know what your problem is with it. Also beating someone on-line isn't the same as beating them in real life.
And the only experience I have with higher level smash 64 is what I've seen on youtube, which to me is really impressive. I've never met or played anyone online or offline as good as them.
Your lucky im suppose to watch what i say, You would be crying if i was allowed to troll on you. Sense your new im going to FORGET every stupid thing you said and just ignore you. Because im doing you the biggest fav in world by not saying anything to that STUPID reply.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
you really don't understand the difference between stupidity and ignorance.
Neither are positive, but its perfectly OK to be ignorant about some things, like this...

But I still stand by my pro comment, and if you were actually that good at this game, I would probably have heard of you, and not just Isai and Superboomfan. They have actual documentation that they're awesome at this game.

Typ

Smash Rookie
Your lucky im suppose to watch what i say, You would be crying if i was allowed to troll on you. Sense your new im going to FORGET every stupid thing you said and just ignore you. Because im doing you the biggest fav in world by not saying anything to that STUPID reply.
it sure is kindergarden in here

dch111

Smash Journeyman
And, ladies and gentlemen, so begins the Kirby thread.

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
Sorry guys, I had been feeling sick over the past... well, 3-4 days (headache and all... so I haven't been reading the threads). But... well, this thread is going nowhere good, and can only get worse.

To prevent a dumb argument from starting, I'll close this thread. If someone has a good reason to un-close it (aka open it), send me a message. Otherwise... yeah... closed.

Edit: I had a request to re-open this thread... so... I'll do that for now. Please, keep all discussion on topic, and no dumb arguments and stuff like that (which half this thread has been so far).

If people will have a legitimate Kirby discussion, then this will stay open.

Battlecow

Play to Win
This is what kirby does to people. See this, new kirby players? This will happen to you someday.

Guide needz werk, smasher. A move-by-move analysis, like they have in the other character threads (disjointed tails, etc.) and some more advanced tips might make it worthwhile. Right now it has some OK advice, but it's by no means anywhere near comprehensive. Also, the grammar could be improved. And next time you feel like getting "good" with kirby, practice spelling "since" instead. It's an equally difficult endeavor.

teganyavo

Smash Rookie
the trick to being good with kirby is to jump over the ledge and brick repeatedly until you lose, and then pick fox.

dch111

Smash Journeyman
You can speed up the process with Kirby's fast rock drop technique. See the tech list for a detailed guide.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
I recommend as said before a guide to each of the moves

Rate them in general, what they combo into each other with, possibly a matchup index.

Smasherx74

Smash Journeyman
Sorry guys, I had been feeling sick over the past... well, 3-4 days (headache and all... so I haven't been reading the threads). But... well, this thread is going nowhere good, and can only get worse.

To prevent a dumb argument from starting, I'll close this thread. If someone has a good reason to un-close it (aka open it), send me a message. Otherwise... yeah... closed.

Edit: I had a request to re-open this thread... so... I'll do that for now. Please, keep all discussion on topic, and no dumb arguments and stuff like that (which half this thread has been so far).

If people will have a legitimate Kirby discussion, then this will stay open.

I say you infraction them all for being racist against kirby for being pink.

Agent_21

Smash Apprentice
I don't even understand the tier list, all the characters are equally good in my opinion, you just have to know how to use them. I've ***** someone with all the characters.

rpotts

Smash Lord
I don't even understand the tier list, all the characters are equally good in my opinion, you just have to know how to use them. I've ***** someone with all the characters.
I disagree. pika is just a better character than everyone, hes fast, can recovery from blastlines with just his upb and can combo every character 0 - death.

Explain to me why luigi is pikas equal in terms of potential at very high levels of play.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
If you have ***** someone with any character, then that person does not fulfill a general rule of the tier list. The tier list is a combination of:

1. The tournament playability of the character (how much the character is used in tournament or serious matches). This means tournament matches between the top people of the characters. (not a youtube video of a good Samus trashing a terrible Kirby). This means to tell Falcon's matchups, you probably should not pay attention to boom's 5 stocks, you pay attention to his matches with good people where Boom actually has to try.

2. Matchup index: If your character has basically all 60-40 matchups or better (See MK in brawl or Pikachu in smash 64), chances are you are going to be in top tier. On the other hand, if your character is bad enough to have no good matchups (Samus in smash 64, Ganon technically in brawl) and a few terrible matchups (Ganon vs Sheik/IC's in brawl, Fox vs Kirby in melee) chances are your character is going to be bad.

If you personally agree that there are some matchups that are terrible and that Pikachu has no bad matchups, then you basically agree that Pikachu is the best character and that Samus is the worst.

If you personally think that Samus is as good as Pikachu (not including the Japanese play as the game has a completely separate tier list), then win tournaments as Samus

If you prefer to comment that Isai has won with everyone vs everyone, its since it is Isai and there is no one who plays equally well as him except for a virtual similarity with 1/2 people.

xX1SHOt

Smash Rookie
Ground: U-Tilt
Air: D-Air
Edgeguarding: Toe (D-Tilt)
**** Tent: Non-Stop Forward Smashes until opponent hits the right wall or goes up and left off the map

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Sorry if this has been asked before, but where would this list be located?
What i mean it would be different since the characters are very different and the drill-based DI is almost non-existant.

I don't know a location of it.

Top Bottom