• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The issue of DNF-ing (Did Not Finish)

DippnDots

Feral Youth
It would be slightly irritating, but if we got something set up a banlist like clan TDA did for DOTA (a warcraft custom map) except tweek it a bit so it shows the number of times they quit during a match then we could chose who to play and who not to play.

Keep in mind though, the reason the TDA banlist works is because people can send replays as proof that someone quit. I don't see how we could prove someone quit, a lot of false accusations could be made and no one would know.

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
I just went back and read you first post and it was brilliant, that sounds like a good idea.
Thank you. Admittedly I can't claim credit for spawning the idea...another fighting game community already uses the 'social system'. It seems to work for the most part, though I have seen a few instances of false reports giving someone a bad rep. On the other hand, the people hurt by it seem to be an unfortunate minority; I've also seen cases of the system working exactly as hoped both in terms of keeping you away from DNF'ers, and helping you go "Oh, that other guy is legit. I'll play him!"

That, and it costs roughly $0.00 to implement since the fan community does it (and policies themselves, in theory). Nintendo is unlikely to invest any huge effort in anti-DNF measures, and technologically speaking there may only be so much they can do. So this might be the best way to handle it. Not the perfect way - I'm unsure if there is one - but possibly the best.

DippnDots also brought up a point: Such a system works better if you can present hard evidence of DNF behavior. This, I think, would actually be pretty easy to do. Videogames are deterministic; if you feed a set of commands into the game, using the same starting conditions...the results will be identical, every time. So Brawl could let you record Replays of games, using just an input-recording. The file-size involved would be very small, and if some sort of file-transfer utility were added to the Wii (or even just to Brawl, using Wii system friend-codes and such), you could produce some kind of proof.

Granted, even that could be prone to forgery; someone could pretend to be someone else and intentionally go on a DNF spree to smear them, but...there will be ways to abuse anything.

experiment111

Smash Journeyman
If i ever do meet any of u guys online i pwomise i wont leave. I need the exp! cos i still aint at pro level and ill be ****ed if i can find a tourney in this place. However if one were to quit it may be because my house was burning down or my wii asploded.

Top Bottom