• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Island (Updated 9/23/2009) -- Yoshi Thread Locator

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuigiKing

Smash Lord
Gaa you Yoshi mainers are 1000% (exactly) more motivated than the Luigi boards with a character that takes 999% more effort to work with. I envy you dino *******s.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Wow...erm thanks....

and Kiwi.....**** you.....my threads actually have uses!

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Because he doesn't want it to be. Now WHY he doesn't want it to be, I don't know and he's not saying for some reason.

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
I believe that the only thread he didn't want it displayed in was the CG thread. The only reason I haven't posted it here is because I thought he would give the okay to at least put it in the guide.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Thought I'd post in here instead of making a new thread.

How do you avoid using Yoshi's awful shield? His OoS options are absolutely terrible and I'm completely lost...

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
It really depends on the situation. It's absolutely impossible to give a 100% catch-all answer for that.

And don't exaggerate. Yoshi's shield is bad, but it's not suicide.

Mmac

Smash Lord
I use Yoshi's Tilts, Usmash, and Pivot Grabs for his Defence. It does a very nice job doing so, and Jabs/Airs work well too

Spotdodging works well too. Yoshi has a pretty good one.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Well, ok. A situation.

I'm Yoshi against say... Sheik on FD. I SHbair->uptilt->upair->upair. She airdodges the second upair and falls to the ground before I do. I try to space a bair to protect me as I land, but I'm too close to the ledge and in order to avoid falling offstage, I have to cut the bair short. (I'm not as spaced as I'd like to be) She jabs OoS and I'm stuck.

I can't shieldgrab cuz it's too slow.
I can't use any attacks OoS because it takes too long to drop the shield.
I can't spotdodge because jabs will overlap it.
I can't roll or jump back.
I can shield through it, but it's easy for Sheik to ftilt or dtilt out of the shielded jabs.

Since pulling up my shield will inevitably get me hit by one of those two attacks, (ftilt or dtilt) what I'll usually do when I'm in a similar situation is take the jab hits, DI back and downwards and input dtilts as fast as I can. If she doesn't drop the jabs in time to shield, I get a free hit on her. If she does shield though, I'm vulnerable.

Sometimes I can condition her into shielding when I'm able to dtilt and instead of dtilting, I'll turn around and bair over to her backside- which can give me some breathing room.

OR I could just shield the entire jab and wait till the hitbox is out of range of my shield, but when I do that, it takes too long to drop the shield and she'll either dtilt or SHnair->jabs and it'll start all over again.

Ultimately, I feel like whenever I'm being pressured with an infinite jab or a very fast dtilt, I can't really do anything besides hope my opponent messes up. My best bet it to try and avoid those situations. But they're going to happen sometimes and I don't know how to deal with it when it happens.

sorry, it's kinda hard to explain.

:urg:!

Chaco

Never Logs In
Well, ok. A situation.

I'm Yoshi against say... Sheik on FD. I SHbair->uptilt->upair->upair. She airdodges the second upair and falls to the ground before I do. I try to space a bair to protect me as I land, but I'm too close to the ledge and in order to avoid falling offstage, I have to cut the bair short. (I'm not as spaced as I'd like to be) She jabs OoS and I'm stuck.

I can't shieldgrab cuz it's too slow.
I can't use any attacks OoS because it takes too long to drop the shield.
I can't spotdodge because jabs will overlap it.
I can't roll or jump back.
I can shield through it, but it's easy for Sheik to ftilt or dtilt out of the shielded jabs.

Since pulling up my shield will inevitably get me hit by one of those two attacks, (ftilt or dtilt) what I'll usually do when I'm in a similar situation is take the jab hits, DI back and downwards and input dtilts as fast as I can. If she doesn't drop the jabs in time to shield, I get a free hit on her. If she does shield though, I'm vulnerable.

Sometimes I can condition her into shielding when I'm able to dtilt and instead of dtilting, I'll turn around and bair over to her backside- which can give me some breathing room.

OR I could just shield the entire jab and wait till the hitbox is out of range of my shield, but when I do that, it takes too long to drop the shield and she'll either dtilt or SHnair->jabs and it'll start all over again.

Ultimately, I feel like whenever I'm being pressured with an infinite jab or a very fast dtilt, I can't really do anything besides hope my opponent messes up. My best bet it to try and avoid those situations. But they're going to happen sometimes and I don't know how to deal with it when it happens.

sorry, it's kinda hard to explain.

:urg:!
Alright, I have this problem with a Kriby player. He dair pressures me, then tilts, and then that eff'd rapid punch. I find it best, in all honesty, to shield it all. Take the shield down towards the end, and just try to wing it. There's no set thing to do here. Becuse if you roll back, Shiek's Fsmash will hit you before you get back a second time. He has literally no options here.

One thing possible to try though, is shield most, then drop the shield and try for a grounded Yoshi bomb. It does get them around half the time. Because they'll see you from and try to go for a kill, or follow up. So, well, VERY limited options in these situations. But you gotta make the best of it. I'd say Bwett will know more about this, or Stocky, or Shiri. The more tournament going Yoshi's seem to know they're own little tricks for those situations.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Well, ok. A situation.

Why are you worried about that? Just double jump away from the stage and come back. Sheik's not going to successfully chase you, and you've bought yourself the opportunity for another back air. This is an easy scenario to avoid.

Hell, you don't even have to do that. Cancel the back air into a neutral air. Instant shake-off attack. Not even an issue.

Even assuming you land and shield, buffer the shield into a dodge and buffer that into a down tilt, down smash, or Yoshi Bomb, depending on how close we're talking. This is very important, and a lot of people seem to miss this step. Don't JUST spot dodge, buffer the dodge into something else.

Sheik is also worthless at fighting pivot grabs a great deal of the time. This isn't necessarily related to the situation, but is a general rule against Sheik.

Worst case scenario, you shield and get pushed off the ledge by her jabs. If she stops jabbing to try and throw you out of the shield, she's yours.

This isn't even a slightly scary scenario for a Yoshi player to face. I can understand your being intimidated by it, but just remember that Yoshi always has options.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
It was just an example...

My point is that you're on the ground and an opponent attacks you with either an infinite jab or a quick, spammable dtilt or ftilt. Even with all the options Yoshi has to avoid this kind of situation, it's going to happen sometimes.

bigman40

Smash Master
To me, this sounds like you're really close to the edge, and she's pressuring you with Jabs/Dtilt/Ftilt/etc. Let me know if I'm correct, cause if I am, then I'll give my thought from there.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
In the scenario I gave, yes. I'm close to the edge.

bigman40

Smash Master
Alright then. Well, my thoughts is that you don't really want to try and get yourself into a spot like this alot cause Yoshi is very limited here in defense. My natural options for this thought would be to grab the ledge, or DJ away (which would be to past her) to get into a more comfortable placement.

If you were to sheild here, you would have to time your dodge so that you get out of the lag time before her attack gets out of lag time (you'd need to start it before shiek does unfortunately). This is really hard to do cause you're going to end up with pain nearly any option you do.

My previous thoughts (especially the ledge grab) is to make the shiek attempt to grab the ledge and edgeguard you while you recover, and at that point, you can DJAD to get up and at least on the ground. Granted you still might take damage on that, but it would be minimal since shiek wouldn't be able to land kill moves that quickly.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
So you have to learn to avoid the situations the best you can and when you're in them, it's about trying to minimize the damage you'll take rather than trying to retaliate.

thanks.

D

Deleted member

Uhh if you can, run away and get on the edge. But yea, avoid being in this spot, im usually never standing still when im near the edge, im getting on it.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Uhh if you can, run away and get on the edge. But yea, avoid being in this spot, im usually never standing still when im near the edge, im getting on it.
I have an undying urge to "that's we she said" that post.....

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
So Shiri MADE ME* notice these boards today, and I'm surprised to see this is still stickied.

Therefore I'm faced with two choices:

1. Yell for an unsticky again
2. Update the OP

If I do the second choice I need good threads to update with since I haven't been paying attention. Not really sure it's necessary though, because there's a Q&A thread you can do whatever in.

*I mean it, he kicked me and threw eggs at my stuff.

Chaco

Never Logs In
KIIIIIIIIIIWWIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII! *glomptacklelickrape*

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Hold off on any quick decisions if you don't mind, Kiwi.

I'm talking with the back room about how we want to reorganize the boards.

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
LoL hey Chaco. Not sure what a "glomp" is but I'm sure I would have enjoyed it.

There's a Yoshi Back Room? Crazy talk

.Marik

is a social misfit
LoL hey Chaco. Not sure what a "glomp" is but I'm sure I would have enjoyed it.
Glomp means "hug".

And we really need to make a Yoshi Stage discussion thread.

A pro Yoshi is a top tier character. I believe greatly so.
Tiers are just estimated guesses at certain characters potential, but there's no definite answer.

I mean, ToKneeOrNotToKnee is a Falcon main, and I'm sure he could **** some high tier characters.

Chaco

Never Logs In
We did have a stage discussion but one of Mmac's disappearances took that thread with it.

.Marik

is a social misfit
Awesome. I need to revise my Yoshi for the upcoming Tournament I'm attending.

Fantastic job Kiwi. :yoshi:

auroreon

Smash Ace
Shiri, would you mind updating the Yoshi Locator thread with the new one.
Good job on updating, Thanks =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom