• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Independence Thread

.CMW.

Smash Apprentice
Hello there SWF! My name is Connor, or as you all know me .CMW. I have made this thread to accept those who have troubled lives with their parents and/or guardians. I have been having trouble for a while, and though this thread isn't dedicated solely to Emancipation, it is a part, or portion of the threads name, independence. I personally have had some troubles with my parents, don't get me wrong I love my parents to death and they are in no way abusive. Physically. I live in Wisconsin and the only rules of Emancipation that apply to me are I would have to be 1. Living on my own or self sustaining, or 2. Court ordered to be emancipated. I could also go with option 3. Get a parent to sign you away, but my parents will have none of that.

I don't claim innocence however, I have had my share of experimentation, though it juts out into two branches only, Smoking and Sneaking out. I just began smoking, and I have snuck out thrice, and it wasn't to drink or party, rather to talk to friends as they got home from work. My grades are also unsatisfactory to my parents. Only my quarter grades disappoint them, I always have A's and B's by the end of the semester. I know the semester is the only thing that truly matters in the long run, but my parents don't see eye to eye on that.

I don't claim to be abused for no reason, but the reasons are small, and the yelling gets rather, intense and abusive. I get called an ******* and they tell me I should get the **** out of their house every time we fight. I have been called many names, and I'm tired of their irrational punishment. The last time I was punished was for not making my bed, two weeks of absolutely nothing. My "favorite" incident was just a few nights ago when my parents told me they would bar the doors and windows so I couldn't get out at night.

But today, It has gone over the edge. I was scolded for having C's on my quarter grades and for leaving my room a mess. They took away my school trip to Chicago, and more importantly my job. They then told me that they will not allow me to have a job, until I'm 18. They also took away my phone, my drivers license and my junior prom. I know this isn't the only thing though, messes mixed with C's combine with old messes and old quarter C's to cause all this trouble. I love my parents to death but they are hard to live with. I just want to be on my own, if allowed to have a job I could maintain said job and go to school. I also have many living arrangements available to me. I have been offered by many friends and their families to live in there home for a mere 50 dollars a month. I also have been offered a rental cottage type deal at about 100 bucks a month. I have options, and the ability to sustain myself if need be. I am simply trying to get away from stress and sheltering. I would like to achieve my short term goal of graduating high school and going to college in the University of Eau Claire. I think I am being held back, and if given opportunity I could sustain myself in a constructive manner. I have no indecent intentions for this emancipation that I so desire.

I ask of SWF to help me gain knowledge of the Emancipation process and to tell me if they think I even have a case worthy of bringing up. I would also like to know about the existence of "No higher income" grants for colleges. The one flaw in this is my parents won't let me have the money they set aside for me, I will need help to enter college.

Enough about me! This thread is about independence. Have you ever felt like your independence is being stifled or shut down? Tell us your stories, your ideas, and most importantly help each other!

.CMW. (I hope I have made a thread worth making, and have given a fine example story to kick it off!)

AquaTech

We hit the potjack
Wow, your parents sound messed up. I've never heard of parents taking away things like prom over some C's. Different standards I guess. Taking away a job is incentive to get your grades up I guess, you gotta remember that higher grades in high school equals thousands of dollars in scholarships, as opposed to the hundreds you make on a part-time job.
But yeah, I feel for you. Your parents don't sound too fun.

½NIÇK½FBM

Smash Apprentice
I feel so bad that your parents care about your grades, you getting into any sort of college, preventing you from doing stupid things like drugs, and overall, caring for you like any other couple of parents instead of not giving a **** about you, getting wasted themselves everyday, smoking like freaking chimney's inside your house, and going to your baseball games and rooting the pitcher to strike you out because they are totally hammered. If only your life was like that.

saggy_brown

Smash Cadet
Wow .cmw. , I sure hope you get out of there soon. Sounds pretty tough, to be allowed to do pretty much nothing. I think it's equally depressing as the statement made by the person in the post before me contrary to what he probably believes. Being allowed to do nothing is just as bad.

I don't have any problems with my parents, but since I'm going off to college later this year, I will be independent soon. It's a really exciting feeling, but it's also kind of scary. Like, what do I do if I get really sick?

Scott!

Smash Lord
Wow .cmw. , I sure hope you get out of there soon. Sounds pretty tough, to be allowed to do pretty much nothing. I think it's equally depressing as the statement made by the person in the post before me contrary to what he probably believes. Being allowed to do nothing is just as bad.

I don't have any problems with my parents, but since I'm going off to college later this year, I will be independent soon. It's a really exciting feeling, but it's also kind of scary. Like, what do I do if I get really sick?
Not to totally derail the thread, but don't worry about being sick at college. While I've never been sick to the point where I've needed outside help, I do know there are processes in place to help if you need it. Your campus WILL have a health center of some sort. They can be visited, called, or even emailed, probably. Of course, there is also 911 if you're in real trouble. If you're dorming or something similar, you'll have a roommate and floormates. If you need someone to help you get help, there is always someone around. Your RA should be able to help. If they're not there, find another, or the hall director. Even if you're independent, you're never alone. Don't worry about it. Just don't be afraid to ask for help if you need it. If you don't feel right, make sure you let people know, in case your condition deteriorates. But you'll be fine. They'll tell you all this at orientation anyway. :)

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
I've never smoked, and I never started drinking until this year, which is really late. But school got me down so I avoided it and got crappy grades, also I never knew what I was going to do after school, and my mum wasn't going to get any money off me when I left, so she threw me out of the house when I was 16.

I'm 17 now, got my own house.

slave1

Smash Lord
CMW for one stop smocking. it WILL **** you up in the long run. so dont be stupid and do something like that.

2. your parents sound kinda crazy. if you could move out that would probably be a good move. but what ever you do, dont loose contact with them.

3. avoid C's at all cost in school anyways it will make it that much harder to get into what ever college you want to get into.

i have no clue on the emancipation process cause my parents rock. lol sorry. but sometimes putting up with some crap might be helpful in the long run.

urdailywater

Smash Hero
Verbally my parents have been okay most of my life. Not sure about my real dad, I rarely see him since he lives about 100 miles or so away from me (but he calls me every single day to make sure I'm okay or to see what's up) but my stepdad can really be called my dad in the long run. He's the most selfless person in the world and I look up to him, and completely ignore his past of course, which isn't the greatest in the world but I'm glad to know he lived in learned, but most of all LIVED. He pretty much supports all of my siblings. My dad did support us as kids seeing as I did grow up with him. I feel nostalgic for it because he's kind of the one that got me where I am today in a way. He also got me into games. :)

My Mom, not sure really. She's a great mom but sometimes is too careless and childish. She doesn't have a job right now, and don't really think she has had kept her promise to one for the past 5 years maybe. She works with a funding company or something like that but has made NO profit off of it whatsoever. She's also a terrible driver and can be careless in public and in ways that can seem threatening at times. I love her to death, and she's always supported me, but the way she acts sometimes make me worried. She's been sick a lot for the past few years, mainly due to depression, and she never really does anything. Honestly, she sits in the house all the time and never goes out for anything other than grocery shopping or to go to Bingo to win some money (which doesn't happen often XD). She's worried me for a while but I try my best to behave when she gets in her "moods", if you can call 'em that. I don't get what makes her like that, but it irritates me and my stepdad deeply, and the worse thing is it doesn't even happen due to us. Most of her problems are due to people in our family or outside the family, which makes me angry even more. =/

What I really wish she would start doing is going out to places rather than sit home and watch Soap Operas all day. She rarely goes anywhere. She used to go to church with us, but stopped going because of some gossip or some what of another. She's deeply religious, which seems hypocritical to me since she refuses to go to a church because of a small tale.
And when she does go somewhere, it's hard to really adjust. For about 6 months you go with her ill, and then all of sudden if were on vacation she's happy. It's kind of awkward to see. =/
This all pretty much started with the death of her father which really took a toll on her, so that's why I try to help her as much as I can. I'll never try to lose contact with her but it would be nice to move out one day and not have to deal with the pressure of her being around. The only thing is how will my stepdad do by himself? Me and him are really tight and it'd be sad to see him go. He's like a second father to me.

I love 'em both to death, but being independent will really help me be able to think about some things I want to do with my life. So far the closest I have to help with that is my sister who I plan on moving near.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Do everthing your parents ask and be an angel until college comes. Once you're legally free, you can leave and never look back. Cut 'em off if it pleases you, whatever. Just live with it for now, not much longer. They just sound lame strict, not like, physically or sexually abusive, so you don't seem to be in danger. So yeah, just deal with it for that much longer.

Lovin' the colours btw xD

.CMW.

Smash Apprentice
I've never smoked, and I never started drinking until this year, which is really late. But school got me down so I avoided it and got crappy grades, also I never knew what I was going to do after school, and my mum wasn't going to get any money off me when I left, so she threw me out of the house when I was 16.

I'm 17 now, got my own house.

And how is that working for you? Being on your own? I'm interested to know how dealing with yourself, unsure or sure of your independence, works. I am only scared of one thing, hurting them. I'm totally sure that I want this, but I don't want them to have pain even if they caused me even more pain. I need to buckle down and do it, or live two more years with this s*it not doing anything.

I will stay in contact with them, I would be ten miles away. I would still call and give them my grades and visit them, they just wouldn't be making the everyday decisions.

.CMW.

I LIKE THE COLORS TOO, HEHE!

.CMW.

Smash Apprentice
I love 'em both to death, but being independent will really help me be able to think about some things I want to do with my life. So far the closest I have to help with that is my sister who I plan on moving near.

I don't think being independent is a bad thing, some people mature at earlier times and are ready to "fly" before the magic age that the law set at 18. You need to deal with your own life, don't let anything get in the way of your independence. It sounds like you need some alone time. People have to have a direction in life, and when they are ready they need to take it. Get ready, take the direction you see fit. Your gut will never steer you to total disaster. I wish the best of luck in your decisions.

.CMW.

I BELIEVE I CAN FLY! I BELIEVE I CAN TOUCH THE SKY! I THINK ABOUT IT EVERY NIGHT AND DAY, SPREAD MY WINGS AND FLY AWAY. I am a nerd, yes. Lol.

Sorry, double post. **** I'm oblivious, lol.

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master

And how is that working for you? Being on your own? I'm interested to know how dealing with yourself, unsure or sure of your independence, works. I am only scared of one thing, hurting them. I'm totally sure that I want this, but I don't want them to have pain even if they caused me even more pain. I need to buckle down and do it, or live two more years with this s*it not doing anything.

I will stay in contact with them, I would be ten miles away. I would still call and give them my grades and visit them, they just wouldn't be making the everyday decisions.

.CMW.
I deal with myself fine, everything that happens in my house is the things I do. If I leave my cereal bowl in the kitchen and go out for the whole day, when I come back it'll still be there. I can clean it up then, or I can leave it to the next morning or whenever, it's completely up to me, there's nothing to be unsure of. I can do whatever I want whenever I want.

So basically, dealing with yourself is easy.

Top Bottom