• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The impossible matchups...?

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
That might be true but it can be said about most characters, 'cept for the really high tiered ones

snadmonkey

Smash Journeyman
Basically its only MK and falco I need an alt for. Btw i still don't understand why people hate marth as wolf. I've nver lost to a marth player(in a set). I've played the best marths I can find online and offline, not sure why other wolfs seem to struggle with that matchup. I can also play snake/DDD/ROB/GW just fine with wolf. That makes 5 of top 8 chars. Its really just MK and falco I need something to fight against. I was debating TL, his projectile wars could drive MK crazy and falco can't chaingrab him.

ADHD

Smash Hero
Basically its only MK and falco I need an alt for. Btw i still don't understand why people hate marth as wolf. I've nver lost to a marth player(in a set). I've played the best marths I can find online and offline, not sure why other wolfs seem to struggle with that matchup. I can also play snake/DDD/ROB/GW just fine with wolf. That makes 5 of top 8 chars. Its really just MK and falco I need something to fight against. I was debating TL, his projectile wars could drive MK crazy and falco can't chaingrab him.
Are you sure? I'm pretty sure falco can chaingrab TL meh :confused:

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Basically its only MK and falco I need an alt for. Btw i still don't understand why people hate marth as wolf. I've nver lost to a marth player(in a set). I've played the best marths I can find online and offline, not sure why other wolfs seem to struggle with that matchup.

You have a point here but there are still characters, who do better against Marth. If you'Re good enough, you should just be glad

I can also play snake/DDD/ROB/GW just fine with wolf. That makes 5 of top 8 chars. Its really just MK and falco I need something to fight against. I was debating TL, his projectile wars could drive MK crazy and falco can't chaingrab him.
Countering MK is hard in that game. Basically all you can do is have somebody with a neutral match-up and play with all the skill you got. Falco gets owned pretty badly by GaW, who doesn't suck against MK either. Imo, he's the best backup for wolf

§witch

Smash Lord
Falco doesn't have a counter, G&W is just one of his harder match-ups, it's deadeven and annoying as **** for both sides. oh, and falco can get 3 throws off at least vs TL. Walking CG is intense ;).

Pearl Floatzel

Smash Apprentice
letterbomb, what makes it even? G&W outranges and outprioritizes Falco and buckets the laser. The chaingrab is ridiculously short because of his weight. It seems like the only thing Falco has on him is that G&W dies at early percents.

But there's definitely a ridiculous advantage for Falco against Wolf. Not only the chaingrab, but a better laser, better gimping game (Spike), and an about even ground game. Wolf only beats Falco in the air.

Marth seems to be able to use the same advantage MK has. The sword. He's not as fast, but he's got better reach and the feared tippers. I don't know much about the matchup, but it seems like a well spaced Marth could destroy a Wolf because of outranging him. I dunno, though.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
GaW vs. Falco isn't even. It's GaWs advantage. He outranges him with his disjointed hitboxes, has better finishers, a better recovery, can edgeguard him like mad, can't be hit by blaster (even without the bucket he can just duck under it) and can't be CG'd too well.

napZzz

Smash Hero
Really? Dude, learn to airdodge. D3's fair has quite the startup, if I remember correctly. The main reason D3's chaingrab isn't game-breaking is because it doesn't have a good finisher. The main problem vs. D3 is them getting a free 30-40% damage on you from a chaingrab.
D3 can continue to hit you before your up b takes you anywhere since it doesnt go anywhere right away...

Sylvan

Smash Apprentice
I just came back from a tourney, I fought Pit, Marth, MK(s), Wario and Flaco in the finals. And the easiest match was Falco. He did try the chain-grab to death combo, and this was my first time playing against it. (I've read about it here) And well, it seemed too easy to dodge and then retaliate. Matches were 3 stock, best of 3

I also fought IC, not in the finals, but I really had no probs with them. After the first two grabs I don't think they landed any real hits. IC have short range and long lag. Their grabs can be stopped with the reflector as it's so short range. Even if you shoot them with blaster, nana being stunned is enough to stop popo infiniting you. (he can still chain Wolf alone, just no infinity) And it may not be obvious, but if wolf grabs popo then does his down throw, the attack will also hit nana. This is really useful if IC are running in for a grab, because Wolf can simply grab popo, then he cannot be grabbed by nana. Mind you, I play IC every day, so personal experience helps there.

Wario was about even. In total I fought that player 8 times in the tourney, he won 4 I won 4. He came second overall.

Of course. My personal opinion does not reflect characters as a whole, I just thought the data would be interesting to note. Certain battles may be tough, but not impossible.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
If the Falco was only looking to CG you, it's very likely, that he loses. He neglects all the other advantages Falco has on you if he only focuses on CGs

napZzz

Smash Hero
And are you trying to say you can break out of an ic's chain grab? Cuz its impossible if they do it right...

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
No. I'm just saying, that Falco won't win, if he only looks to land a CG on you

Sylvan

Smash Apprentice
No falco didn't only look to chain grab me. He played well, his grab was just like a normal grab. I was on low damage when he pulled it off, he then chained me to the edge, came to spike. I DI'ed away and recovered etc etc

And are you trying to say you can break out of an ic's chain grab? Cuz its impossible if they do it right...
No I'm not. I can agree, it is impossible to break out of. But it's really easy to stop them grabbing Wolf. He just has so many moves that prevent it. IC grab is short range, and their approach is lackluster.

§witch

Smash Lord
letterbomb, what makes it even? G&W outranges and outprioritizes Falco and buckets the laser. The chaingrab is ridiculously short because of his weight. It seems like the only thing Falco has on him is that G&W dies at early percents.

But there's definitely a ridiculous advantage for Falco against Wolf. Not only the chaingrab, but a better laser, better gimping game (Spike), and an about even ground game. Wolf only beats Falco in the air.

Marth seems to be able to use the same advantage MK has. The sword. He's not as fast, but he's got better reach and the feared tippers. I don't know much about the matchup, but it seems like a well spaced Marth could destroy a Wolf because of outranging him. I dunno, though.
K here's why, falco can buffer the CG to get 3 throws and and Gatling combo to nair/uair out of it, that's almost 70% right there. Bucket the lasers? Are you kidding? Baiting G&W to pull out his bucket is an awesome idea. it's extra laggy, and who cares if he gets it one part filled, if you get a free smash out of it, no good falco uses the lasers for anything but appoaching, so why would it be a problem if he bucketed it from far away?

§witch

Smash Lord
No falco didn't only look to chain grab me. He played well, his grab was just like a normal grab. I was on low damage when he pulled it off, he then chained me to the edge, came to spike. I DI'ed away and recovered etc etc

No I'm not. I can agree, it is impossible to break out of. But it's really easy to stop them grabbing Wolf. He just has so many moves that prevent it. IC grab is short range, and their approach is lackluster.
That falco was not very good, if a fastfaller like wolf could DI the spike, especially on wolf where we can CG him in place, until you're high enough that the Sh dair will connect.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
K here's why, falco can buffer the CG to get 3 throws and and Gatling combo to nair/uair out of it, that's almost 70% right there. Bucket the lasers? Are you kidding? Baiting G&W to pull out his bucket is an awesome idea. it's extra laggy, and who cares if he gets it one part filled, if you get a free smash out of it, no good falco uses the lasers for anything but appoaching, so why would it be a problem if he bucketed it from far away?
GaW can duck under the laser

§witch

Smash Lord
Yeah, but so what? If we can keep him ducked then we're golden, the lasers are not for damage, they're for approaching.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Approaching? Thrrough his Turtle of Doom? (off topic btw, this should go to the falco boards)

Top Bottom