• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Importance of getting the first kill or victory.

AlanCiTuAndPope20

Smash Journeyman
Imagine that you start playing some ssb with another guy for the first time.A challenge,friendlies or whatever. You get the first kill or victory.How could this affect the gameplay of your opponent?
I don't know if my opinion is the right but in my experience of competitive games(not only smash),I've seen that it helps you a bit at least.

Reasons :

1.- You start with the right step or way.
2.- You get the first point in your score of victories and encourage you to continue do it well.
3.- Make people feel better and more relaxed(not everybody).
4.- Your opponent,friend,challenger,etc could be under pressure and feel more nervous than you because of the psicological damage(overall in a tourney)and these things could have some bad influences in his gameplay like not thinking clearly and attacking stupidly or doing moves not so effectives that instead of helping him,would cause a sure death.
5.-On the other hand you would get more confidence,inspiration,etc.
6- You would take advantage of his mistakes and could take his other stocks easily(experience).
7.- You get the first good impression and looks nice lol.

Warning

These reasons are not correct or applyable with everybody because it depends on the person if suffers of nervousm easily.Your first victory could be also an open book for him(it would help him to visualize your ways of attacking,defending,edgeguarding,etc and nobody knows what could happen in the second one.That's why the famous comebacks exist during a match I guess.
Anyway playing video games is just for having fun and no more than that.
This is my viewpoint that could be applyable in the other way around. Who knows?
In conclusion the first fight won,don't decide the war.

Are there any other opinions?

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
I agree with most of these points, I also feel it helps to get the first stock.

When I am ahead im less likely to do something stupid due to frustration.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
I have always felt better getting the first KO since falcon's rely on killing people before being killed. It shows my combos are working.

When my Yoshi can do this, it shows it is surviving forever and its comboing fine.

Nice guide alancitu.

But in falcon dittos, this doesn't matter

Or as Peek said brawl

Tigerb0mbz

Smash Journeyman
This is true.

We had some Fawks vs. Rat matches and i beat him...then he went BANKAI and i died many times
senbonzakura kageyoshi was too l33tsauce hax sniff! where da *** do u keep getting ur sigs from!? honestly

valoem

Smash Journeyman
Imagine that you start playing some ssb with another guy for the first time.A challenge,friendlies or whatever. You get the first kill or victory.How could this affect the gameplay of your opponent?
I don't know if my opinion is the right but in my experience of competitive games(not only smash),I've seen that it helps you a bit at least.

Are there any other opinions?
not if youre tryin to hustle =P

infernovia

Smash Ace
Starting with the first kill is important. I noticed that I usually lost matches that I was killed in the beginning from/I lose 2 stocks easily. And when I try to catch up, I usually lose the match just because of my mistakes.

However, I have my share of comebacks. One of the things I have learned is that in a fighter, comebacks are easy to pull off so I have a never say die attitude. However, the less experienced the player is, the more psychological damage you will do on him/her.

Basically, yeah, it matters, but not if you are isai (although he has had a few games that did)

Daedatheus

Smash Lord
I find that losing stocks makes me play smarter. I play more carelessly when I have the life to back it up. When I'm on my last stock(s) I am going to be more campy or ultra-defensive if the match matters.

TehBo49

Smash Ace
In an alternate universe, where Brawl does not suc
The biggest advantage of getting the first kill is that you now have more room for error. Should you mess up & get comboed to death, you still have a good chance of winning. If you're a stock behind, it's important to be smart since you need to 2 stock your opponent at some point to win.

SmashProPlayer

Smash Cadet
Es importante ganar tu primer batalla porque vas un punto a favor y te hace sentir superior,bien(sientes que lo hiciste mejor que el otro) xP al menos por el momento. Ya el segundo match es otro punto que debes manejar con cautela tmb.
Buen topic señor Alancitu.

Discolicious

Smash Apprentice
Es importante ganar tu primer batalla porque vas un punto a favor y te hace sentir superior,bien(sientes que lo hiciste mejor que el otro) xP al menos por el momento. Ya el segundo match es otro punto que debes manejar con cautela tmb.
This post lacks english and I kind of agree with the OP

Lawrencelot

Smash Lord
I don't agree. At least for me, gaining the first stock doesn't matter. If you're talking about players who's levels are not too far apart, it can always go either way: either the opponent feels frustrated and messes up more, or he becomes <don't know good word> and concentrates more because he wants to win so badly. Gaining the upperhand could also make you more cocky and let you underestimate the opponent.

But I think all this only applies if the difference in your and your opponent's level is really low. It's a very small factor of determining who will win, especially in this game.

D

Deleted member

This is one of the dumbest topics I have ever read

I'm not even joking, if someone "famous" or "good" says something, people will say THAT'S GENIUS

Superstar

Smash Champion
Might as well translate it for those who care.

It's important to win your first battle because you're one point ahead and it makes you feel superior, good (feels like you did better than the other) xP "al menos" the moment. Then in the second match there is another point you need to get to win. Great topic sir Alancitu.

menos means less, doesn't seem to fit so I can't translate that. Semi final sentence is weird, direct translation:

"Finally the second match is another point you need to drive with cautela tmb."

So I guessed.

AlanCiTuAndPope20

Smash Journeyman
If Omar said that in the second match is other point that you need to drive carefully is because he meant exactly the same than me. Your first victory could be also an open book for your opponent(it would help him to visualize your ways of attacking,defending,edgeguarding,etc and nobody knows what could happen in the second one.That's why the famous comebacks exist during a match like I said in my first comment.
So don't get confidence just for winning the first stock or match. it would be dumb.

Top Bottom