• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Importance of Falco's Full Hop

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotAnAdmin

Smash Journeyman
Falco does prefer the air.
I think Sakurai designed him for heavy, heavy use of his full hops.

If done correctly, his the start-up frames end right at the top of his jump, while it leaves him open on the way up, his fair and dair and are strong enough to cover many of the options on most opponents and his nair reaches just enough to cancel out projectiles and certain moves. While you are high in the air you can abuse the air dodge and make your approach, I got that strategy from looking at a couple Jiggs replays.

I just want to get the word out, get comfortable with using those full hops, and make them play your game, stay elusive, annoy your opponent with your lasers and shine as well.

Last edited:

Zionaze

Smash Ace
^ everytime i miss my shorthop and end up doing a full hop, i end in a better position then what i expected.
full hop fair has no landing lag so you can abuse that too

NotAnAdmin

Smash Journeyman
Right, also if you time his fair right you can use Falco's second jump to fair again, or any other move you want.
This makes him more viable than before.

It's all about finding ways around his start-up frames.

Last edited:

NotAnAdmin

Smash Journeyman
I find this interesting, what projectiles can Falco´s nair stop?

Landing lag after dodging to the ground is awful to approach :S
His nair cancels the weaker kinds of projectiles, such as Link's bow or his boomerang, I don't have a complete list because I don't really have anyone to try this stuff out with, plus I only have my 3DS with me right now. Also I know for sure his nair reflects 3De's gordos. Samus' full charge shot will still hit you of course.

As for air dodges I mean on the way up or down of a full hop, the timing isn't very strict try it out, it could land you a hit. He keeps his momentum when you fast fall as well, you can probably land a fair, bair or if you want to "Melee it up" go for a dair.

KayJay

Smash Ace
NNID
KayJay84
3DS FC
1848-1677-7521
Don't underestimate Falco's short hop mindgame.
I don't see many people using his short hop uair for bait.

Short Hop Uair doesn't have any landing lag so you can do uairs against air approaches and when you land beside the enemy you can dsmash/ftilt/jab/fsmash instantly.
It can be very effective, watch one of my video:

click on 1080p60 for 60 FPS Epicness picture quality.

Last edited:

BltzZ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BltzZ7
I'm pretty sure that you can do a quick areal after air dodging to cancel out the landing lag. Unless they patched that too.
Its still possible. You can cancel it into a smash or tilt but i havent really applied to it any of my games. Gonna implement that SH Up air approach ASAP though!

V_x_I_D

Smash Apprentice
NNID
V_x_I_D
Its still possible. You can cancel it into a smash or tilt but i havent really applied to it any of my games. Gonna implement that SH Up air approach ASAP though!
FOREAL, that SH UAIR is the bomb, I'm definitely going to start throwing that in, @ KayJay KayJay your play is really good.

KayJay

Smash Ace
NNID
KayJay84
3DS FC
1848-1677-7521
FOREAL, that SH UAIR is the bomb, I'm definitely going to start throwing that in, @ KayJay KayJay your play is really good.
Thank you, here is is another good example even though the Mega Man player wasn't that great.

Last edited:

Legend Vermillion

Spanish Brawl Competitive Player

Short Hop Uair doesn't have any landing lag so you can do uairs against air approaches and when you land beside the enemy you can dsmash/ftilt/jab/fsmash instantly.

I have been playing all afternoon trying this stuff and I have to say that is AWESOME. This benefit A LOT some matchups, try to implement that style on your gameplay and you will see results. My afternoon lab and practice hours went very very well, you can get a lot of mixups, reads ... amazing.

NotAnAdmin

Smash Journeyman
I see, I usually try to do a up air approach while Falco has his back to the opponent, that doesn't always go so well.
I do like the up air to utilt for bait, I need to use his up air more.

AlexAnthonyD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Anthony
3DS FC
1521-5082-7099

Dude, awesome! I have never seen uair used so effectively, awesome stuff. That bair to finish at the end, was so awesome and incredibly well timed I just had to say great job to that one as well. Post more!

GreatDave

Smash Cadet
NNID
GreatDave81
Amazing! I did NOT know Uair did NOT generate landing lag...or at least, it shortens it considerably. Great thing, I must absolutely get used to use it muuuuuch. Great technique to hit the opponent without giving him/her a break. Perfect to stress and annoy them, and to force them to attack with anger and then losing concentration...

NotAnAdmin

Smash Journeyman
I think I found a new strategy for Battlefield.
Full Hop dair if done on the left or right platforms has no land lag, but you can't throw out another another air attack outside of a nair. You must land on the platform, I suggest making a quick hit and run situation with a dair and then sh phantasm to get out of there or maybe a grab.
However, the hitbox of the dair will only connect on the taller characters, like Wii fit trainer or Marth so you have to be careful.

I feel this is a good option to keep in mind when you find yourself on Battlefield and your opponent won't come down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom