• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The "I'm anti-this so I'm posting why that other deserves more" topic

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
Here's a fictive situation.

So I walk in the Sakurai support thread, and all of a sudden I see an argument on why Miyamoto is more deserving than Sakurai. Some argue that since Sakurai made the game, he should be added to the game, but others feel like Miyamoto has been in the business longer, he basically is the face of Nintendo. The discussion goes on and on and then the topic doesn't even go about why Sakurai deserves to be in, but rather why Miyamoto deserves to be in more than Sakurai. And that all in the Sakurai support thread.

Do you think it's right? Do you like it when I barge in your Ridley topic, saying Tyranitar should be in because he has a more plausible size? Do you think it's fun when I go in the Sora thread saying Cloud is a better choice? Do you want to read **** like that in the support thread of your character? Because I can think up a lot of counter-entries for almost every character you can imagine.

Please, don't be such a douche.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Orly? I thought debate and discourse were the entire point of support threads, and forums in general. If you're so offended by other people's opinions, I suggest you become a monk and head off to the wild, because you've got a crappy life ahead of you otherwise.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Krystal said-"I'm also not complaining about getting my lumps in debates. Thats the whole reason I even get into a debate, to know the reason why someone likes so and so and to get a reasonable perspective or to get corrected on something I was wrong about. I could even tolerate flame wars, but I don't really like those kinds of encounters (contrary to popular belief). Web forums are indeed about the free exchange of ideas and of course not everyone is going to agree on everything. That said, no ideas are going to be exchanged when people have made up their minds about a character proclaiming they have exactly no chance of getting in. Maybe someone can convince those types of people, but its usually in vain and its usually not a very productive debate."

Fatmanonice sez- "Well, what can you do? That's the problem with the human race. I agree, there is something wrong in saying that someone has absolutely no chance (unless it's in the realm of reality like Master Chief or Bill Cosby) but there's nothing wrong with debating about why some characters should get in over other, what one character could contribute to Brawl compared to another, etc. In the end, there is no one that has a 0% chance (except those already disconfirmed) and there is no one that has a 100% chance (except those already confirmed) but that doesn't mean that everyone has a high chance of getting in. Still, if Congress can debate all the time and get nothing accomplished, just what do you think it's going to do here? :laugh: If anything, I consider debate a recreation more then anything else."

ScubaGoomba

Smash Apprentice
This thread is so ironic.
Quote for truth...

So I'm going to go ahead and agree with the OP. It's perfectly fine to question on a support thread, but when things devolve into a war between which character is better, well, can't we at least make a thread called "X vs. Y" rather than invading X's support thread?

EricShiznit

Smash Cadet
So wait... There are people arguing whether Sakurai or Miyamoto, and by Sakurai and Miyamoto, you mean the Nintendo game creators, has a better chance in brawl?

Surely you're not serious? Sakurai or Miyamoto? That's ****ing stupid. Anyone who argues about that is a ****ing idiot.

Nintendo_Rockstar

Smash Cadet
Geno: Well i have never played SMRPG, but imo if a character is not an overall-wearing plumber, a princess or a big spiky turtle, then his place is not in Smash Bros., as a Mario rep... he shouldn't even get to have the mushroom icon if he were in... He just lacks mario-ness...

Ashley: She's just minor in my oppinion... i'd rather have Captain Syrup in staid of Ashley! WarioWare is a minigame series, were every boss is of an equal importance (cept for that Jimmy T. fellow). So I say NO to the idea of a second WW rep!

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
Quote for truth...

So I'm going to go ahead and agree with the OP. It's perfectly fine to question on a support thread, but when things devolve into a war between which character is better, well, can't we at least make a thread called "X vs. Y" rather than invading X's support thread?
And that is exactly the point of this thread.

Okay, maybe some comparisons could be made, but these comparisons shouldn't invade the thread. They shouldn't make it a "why this is better than that" topic. If it's a "Character X" thread, then it shouldn't be a "Character X versus Character Y" discussion.

Reyairia

Smash Champion
I do say that all the time, maybe that's why I can be considered borderline trolling here. :p
I'm not against any character's inclusion, but I like to tease people use the same arguments to support -popular choice here- when those arguments can be used to support -unpopular/wtf choice here-

For example, the other day I was arguing with versperview on Midna's chances in Brawl and meanwhile, I'm a skeptic. People point out Midna's importance in TP and how if it weren't for her blabla. I tried to show my skepticism by comparing her importance to Timpani's from Super Paper Mario and mentioned I can use the same, if not improved, arguments to support Timpani that people use to support Midna. It ended up boiling down on moveset capabilities and insults, which for me meant successful results and me proving my point.

Am I for Timpani's inclusion? No. Am I against Midna's inclusion? Definitely not. I was just making a point, and I did it fine. Now if people only realized that popularity isn't a big factor, or better put, "I want this character to be in Brawl" is different than "I think this character will be in Brawl."

Oh, and the last thing; we do not know what are the "requirements" to get into Brawl. Yeah, there, I said it.

Eight Sage

Smash Lord
in the range of 0.0.0.0 to 255.255.255.255
The discussion goes on and on and then the topic doesn't even go about why Sakurai deserves to be in, but rather why Miyamoto deserves to be in more than Sakurai. And that all in the Sakurai support thread.

Do you think it's right? Do you like it when I barge in your Ridley topic, saying Tyranitar should be in because he has a more plausible size? Do you think it's fun when I go in the Sora thread saying Cloud is a better choice? Do you want to read **** like that in the support thread of your character? Because I can think up a lot of counter-entries for almost every character you can imagine.

Please, don't be such a douche.
Gary:

Those kind of people help to maintain live a thread. If everyone says "yeah he should", "I agree" or "Love ya", the thread ends in a few posts.

So anti-topic posts are needed in order to create the debate.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Lol. I never wanted a flame war in the Ashley thread, but it seems I almost started one with that pic of Puppetmon. Of course you are confusing flame wars with character bashing. I do not like Geno and if comparing him to Puppetmon is my way of saying it, then so be it. :)
You did start a flame war +_+ Just get off if you don't like it here.
Anyhow i agree <_< , Oh and Sakurai 4 brawl! :p.

"must have appeared in a video game..."
CREDITS FTW! :p.

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
Gary:

Those kind of people help to maintain live a thread. If everyone says "yeah he should", "I agree" or "Love ya", the thread ends in a few posts.

So anti-topic posts are needed in order to create the debate.
And seriously, douchebag, that's not the point of this thread, and you would know that if you took out the **** out of your eyes and started reading.

Seriously, guys, people like him really tick me off. People who refuse to read a certain topic. Not just my topic, a ****load of other topics as well.

Eight Sage

Smash Lord
in the range of 0.0.0.0 to 255.255.255.255
And seriously, douchebag, that's not the point of this thread, and you would know that if you took out the **** out of your eyes and started reading.

Seriously, guys, people like him really tick me off. People who refuse to read a certain topic. Not just my topic, a ****load of other topics as well.
You're doing what you criticize... did you read my post? did you read my quote? I'll do it again, and I'll do it in a friendly way AGAIN:

H
Do you think it's right? Do you like it when I barge in your Ridley topic, saying Tyranitar should be in because he has a more plausible size?
If you do that kind of commentaries, you're becoming anti Ridley indirectly, and those kind of commentaries helps threads.

Dhaka

Smash Cadet
I have no issues with the arguments you or the rest of the GA make (the reasonable ones anyway) or the possibility some of you might not prefer Paper Mario or Bowser Jr. The board would be a boring place if everyone wanted the same people in. As for the Geno Alliance being stretched across several forums, thats another thing I don't have a problem with. I actually think its impressive that a character like Geno amassed this sort of net following. I also never said Geno was a god awful idea. IMO, he wouldn't be the most interesting option, but then, the same can be said of many good characters.

I'm also not complaining about getting my lumps in debates. Thats the whole reason I even get into a debate, to know the reason why someone likes so and so and to get a reasonable perspective or to get corrected on something I was wrong about. I could even tolerate flame wars, but I don't really like those kinds of encounters (contrary to popular belief). Web forums are indeed about the free exchange of ideas and of course not everyone is going to agree on everything. That said, no ideas are going to be exchanged when people have made up their minds about a character proclaiming they have exactly no chance of getting in. Maybe someone can convince those types of people, but its usually in vain and its usually not a very productive debate.

Come now, you know full well Ashley actually has a chance to get in the game in some way. Unlike Jerry, who would price himself out and not even fit in the game to begin with. (As you already know)

Last I checked, expressing dislike for Geno didn't get you put behind bars. It wouldn't here and it wouldn't in the real world, but I will agree that there is a time and a place for that sort of behavior. It seems I chose the wrong place and the wrong time. I say this because a thread nearly devolved into a needless flame war that would have not only gotten the thread off topic, but possibly deleted as well.

Yeah you didn't compare Geno to Ashley, because you never even gave Ashley a chance of getting in. When you say someone definitely isn't getting in, that means they have 0% chance (like Jerry) and we all know every video game character out there has some chance.

Yes I had the guts to compare him to puppetmon. It made for an ok amount of lulz, but it almost turned into a flame war and knowing it would definitely turn into a flame war because of that, I wouldn't have had the guts to do it. As for telling the Geno Alliance to go to hell, it was a spur of the moment comment that I wish I could take back. I really only wanted some Geno Alliance guys to go to hell, not all.

Why would I go through the trouble of finding reasons to bash Geno when I could simply make a thread with reasons why he won't be in Brawl and reasons why I think he sucks (as if that mattered). If a Geno fan such as yourself goes into a thread and tells supporters their character has 0% chance, then of course I am going to take offense to that and respond in a way you (or any other Geno fan) would not like, because that puppetmon picture represents every ridicule ever thrown at an Ashley supporter for caring about the character just because they thought she had a chance to get in or because they just flat out liked her. There are several people on this board who are guilty of completely downplaying Ashley's chances when they know full well they are above 0%.

I guess you could say I got tired of seeing the same narrow minded argument and decided to respond in a way that was less than civil. So instead of saying why I favored Ashley over Geno, I posted a crude picture of a demented puppet instead (albeit a very awesome one) which was clearly not a fair representation of Geno's appearance, but purposefully so as to express how I felt that 0% chance was not a fair representation of Ashley's chances.

I should have just flat out said it instead and saved everyone the trouble of enduring this drama filled High School musical from hell.
/Gets the checklist out

Compulsive liar... check

Ignorant... check

Narrow minded... check

Bored and on the computer all day.....check

Deluded....double check

Oh and by the way, saying people are narrow minded because we LIKE something is just ignorant (see checklist). The fact that you persistantly hate someone or something because of purely perseonal preference is more narrow minded than anything else you want to throw at us =)

I don't see how people can't just accept each other on this board. We all do have our character prefrerences, but why do people HATE other characters. Last I checked...they're all fictioncal characters made by writers/programmers/designers/etc etc etc. Who is to say how good or bad a character is...except for the creators themselves. Hell, I'm not a fan of Ridley at all, but I'm not gonna go running into their boards saying "Z0mG Ash13y 1s B3tT312 th4n R1ddl3y and 4lls d4 R1Dd13Y f4ns SCuK!!! OoO H3r3s a p1ctor3 0f 4 puPp3T!! lmfaofhwodngo111!!!shift1" (Sorry for that...but I hope the point is clear).

If we could all just support everyone, rather than bash each other.... I think more things could be accomplished.

vesperview

Smash Hero
And that is exactly the point of this thread.

Okay, maybe some comparisons could be made, but these comparisons shouldn't invade the thread. They shouldn't make it a "why this is better than that" topic. If it's a "Character X" thread, then it shouldn't be a "Character X versus Character Y" discussion.
You should see the Sheik thread lol!

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
If you do that kind of commentaries, you're becoming anti Ridley indirectly, and those kind of commentaries helps threads.
No they do not. Like I said, they're hijacking the thread instead of helping the thread. Okay, it is okay to say "Wolf does have a slightly more chance due to this and that, but I wouldn't mind Krystal." Saying "Krystal sucks because she would take the spot of Wolf" is simply *****ing and thread hijacking.

And what the ****? I never said I actually wanted Tyranitar in Brawl. He's a bad choice for Brawl. **** Tyranitar.

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
What is the point of this thread? How has it not been locked yet? People are entitled to argue. If they can give a reason, besides "b/s X sux and Y rocks," then they can go in the threads and do that. They have no reason not to. What a horrible thread.
Maybe, for starter's it's the "character x" support thread, not the "character y" support thread?

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
Because the thread originally wasn't about that other character. If you want to support that other character, just post it in its respective topic, not in another topic.

vesperview

Smash Hero
Because the thread originally wasn't about that other character. If you want to support that other character, just post it in its respective topic, not in another topic.
Still, people debate about a character's chances, is like saying Skull Kid should be the new Zelda villain in Brawl, but someone else brings up Vaati who's more deserving and on top of that gives good reasoning as to why Vaati is better than Skull Kid, there's nothing wrong with that, threads aren't always, Oh let's discuss how cool this character is and how awesome he/she will be in Brawl.

XCWarrior

Smash Apprentice
Brawl, Mario Kart Wii, Wii Fit, Zack and Wiki, SMR
You make it sound like we have to politically correct no matter what in all topics. That's just pointless. If you can't argue against a character, then what's the point of discussion? If people that were only going to be positive about the character, all of the threads would basically have the same messages over and over:

"X pwns! I'm going to main them!"

"I sure hope X is in the game too!"

"Great thread! X is the best! I know they will be in the game!"

"X is for top tier!"

"I want to marry X and make babies with them!"

Okay, so maybe not the last one, but that's basically what all the threads would result in. There is no fun in that. There has to be debate. That is what a forum is for. Debate. So hence, again, why this thread is really pointless. As long as you give constructive criticism on why X should or not should be in the game, you can post it in the "X should be in the game" thread.

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
You make it sound like we have to politically correct no matter what in all topics. That's just pointless. If you can't argue against a character, then what's the point of discussion? If people that were only going to be positive about the character, all of the threads would basically have the same messages over and over:

"X pwns! I'm going to main them!"

"I sure hope X is in the game too!"

"Great thread! X is the best! I know they will be in the game!"

"X is for top tier!"

"I want to marry X and make babies with them!"

Okay, so maybe not the last one, but that's basically what all the threads would result in. There is no fun in that. There has to be debate. That is what a forum is for. Debate. So hence, again, why this thread is really pointless. As long as you give constructive criticism on why X should or not should be in the game, you can post it in the "X should be in the game" thread.
Please, it seems you know the least of what I meant.

Sure, people can say "X sucks because X just doesn't this and that, he's more AT material" that sort of crap. But do we really need five ****ing pages full of "No Y is better, and I'm sticking with that!"

Top Bottom