• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Ideals of the Traditionalist

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
@Red Ryu and Falconv1.0

You have a point about the train. What I should do instead of building a better train is to change the one I have to minimize friction and maximizing energy output. The plane may still go 500 mph while my train goes 250, but the plane will likely run into more problems than my train, which gives me a fighting chance, which is all I want.

As for my train being arguably worse:

My train may be arguable worse than your plane, but my train now is better than my old train, so I'm not "making a worse train.".
What is stopping the plane from doing the same?

Smash Rookie
No offense, but if a player like Broly can use ATs, you have no excuses.

I have no excuses then.

I can, but choose not to. Happy?

@SuSa

Or, I'll play without breaking the plateau.

I'm basically providing closing argument here:

People say I can't, I say I can, we won't know for a while, so yeah. I don't use tech skill cause I don't wish to, I'll play without it, won't be the best, hopefully be mediocre. The end. Who likes fragments?

@Red Ryu

Nothing is stopping the plane from doing the same.

But the plane has been at it for a while, so it's likely near the best possible. The train has yet to begin, so it has more room to grow.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
I have no excuses then.

I can, but choose not to. Happy?
I would be happy, but you still haven't provided me with a good argument here.

Choosing to not use ATs means you have a lower potential. Honestly, you can't even argue this. Even if you do beat someone who uses ATs, he will be capable of improving more than you. He has more options.

So, why are you trying to prove this point?

Smash Rookie
I suppose read one way, it is.

Point is, no one will convince me against what I want to do, and I can't convince anyone that I'm legit, so...

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
@Red Ryu

Nothing is stopping the plane from doing the same.

But the plane has been at it for a while, so it's likely near the best possible. The train has yet to begin, so it has more room to grow.
How has the plane been at it? We're both using the same vehicle from the beginning.

MajinSweet

Smash Journeyman

Point is, no one will convince me against what I want to do, and I can't convince anyone that I'm legit, so...
Winning proves to people you are legit, it always has and it always will. Winning is not subjective, it is reality. None of this "convince" bullcrap, just do it. But you said you'd be happy to be mediocre? Then why do you care what people think? You honestly haven't made much sense in this topic.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion

All I'm saying is that you demanded a legitimate debate in this thread. You got one, and all you can say is basically "yeah, well, screw you I'm going to do it anyway." That's not a rebuttal.

The thing is, you aren't the first person to try this. The only reason we can't convince you is because you are stubborn, and due to your lack of competitive experience: ignorant. That's a bad combination. You, however, can prove to us that you are legit. Go to tournaments. It's not that hard. Go to tournaments, tell us how it worked for you.

john!

Smash Hero
you need to have an exceptional amount of innate skill at the game to be able to do something like this, in melee at least. you may have more success in brawl.

i still don't know WHY you won't use advanced techs, except for that this is some kind of experiment.

your claims that you will "focus more on the mental aspect" and "have more fun" are also pretty dubious, this seems like it would be extremely frustrating. tech skill doesn't necessarily come at the cost of mental ability, although mindlessly technical space animal players do exist.

Luxor

Smash Champion
Taking advantage of "exploits"--> More options --> More deciding between options --> More depth --> More thinking. Tech skill does add to the mental aspect of the game by adding viable options.

There's no best way to have fun (although imo being technical in melee is REALLY fun, coming from a brawl player), but there is a best way to win. "Scrubs" don't often win.

El Nino

BRoomer
BRoomer
Let's not get too worked up in here. We can be lively without being overtly rude, yes?

I don't have exact-frame reflexes. My fingers aren't very fast. Fast, but not VERY fast.

I have practiced, but am unable to execute them consistently.

So I decided to go on without them and do the best that I can.
Well, obviously you can play a game however you want. If you win, you'll earn more credibility. But if you're having problems executing the controls, have you tried just using ATs more sparingly?

Landry

Smash Ace
So, for the record, you actually can't tech can you? I mean, you choose not too, but does that stem from an inability to preform the more sophisticated ATs? It seems to me that you could be a "traditionalist" in a regular Brawl setting but in a tournament setting it would be foolish. It would be like a pro football team that only runs the ball because they think throwing it has a negative impact on the game. Whether or not your way is a better philosophy or not you have to accept that the tournament scene is filled with ATs that are used to give players advantages. It would be dumb not to use them.

Fried Ice Cream

Smash Ace
To each his own, but don't get beat down if you don't make it out of tournaments! You're severely limiting yourself. I don't really understand how you're having more fun if you're getting beaten by everyone just because you are limiting yourself to a style that doesn't work.

There have been great players who are not techinical, but that doesn't mean they didn't use the AT's at all. They waited for the other player to do something and then for instance JC-grab them, that's not hard.
Or dashdancing every now and then.

But, keep up what your doing and someday you'll prove us all wrong :)!

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Wavedashing (like all techniques) is situational and character dependent. Link doesn't have a particularly useful wavedash, so it's not surprising that Aniki didn't use it. On the other hand, there are characters like the ICs and Luigi (and even Samus I guess) who's wavedash is better than their regular dash, so it's pretty much a necessity.

Samus w/o wavedashing would be low tier

true story

and ICs would be literally unusable

Most characters would be so immobile without wavedashing that the game would be significantly slower than it is now.

Kanelol

Smash Lord
I have a friend like this. Claims he won't use any technique or attack not taught in the in-game tutorial.

I'm not sure if this is from mental *********** or if it's just a really, REALLY, subtle john

Either way, I feel like i wasted a little bit more of my life reading this

Djent

Smash Champion
:urg:

Dude...

Imagine what would happen if we applied your Traditionalist logic to another game, say...basketball.

"The majority of good basketball players are either very tall, very good jumpers, or both. Try as I might, I can't seem to grow any taller. And in the three years I've practiced jumping, I've only gained a few inches worth of height. These requirements are just too hard for the average person. Basketball should focus only on the mental aspect of the game, as the physical aspect is just too limiting regarding who can compete. I say we ban anyone over 6'2" and everyone with a vertical leap of over 2'6." Never mind that these traits are as valid as any mental abilities in terms of competition...I think everyone should be able to play in the NBA!"

I'm not trying to be mean with this. I'm only trying to show how flawed your logic is. :glare:

EDIT: NVM, I see others have already had their way with your arguments. :awesome:

Top Bottom