• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Hole In Our Hearts - How Absent Stages Affect the Metagame

Disclaimer:
For further reference, Smashboards rulesets will be used as a source of the stages called as “legal”
Disclaimer 2: Remember that even though Yoshi’s Island (Brawl) is not in the Wii U version, it is in the 3DS version, which is why it is not listed here

When a character does not return for a new installment of Super Smash Bros., many of us feel sad or nostalgic; but few think about stages. Yes, a wide variety of stages either have been staples on the series, like Final Destination, or Battlefield; but some stages used in competitive play have not returned.

Dream Land 64 returned, Congo Jungle and Peach’s Castle as well (Hyrule Castle too, if you are old school and still use it). Well that is it for Super Smash Bros. 64. But, since then, there has been specifically three critically-acclaimed stages that have not returned to Super Smash Bros. for Wii U.

Let us start with a fan favorite.

Fountain of Dreams

Similar in layout to Battlefield, except that the left and right platforms move at a random pace up and down. The stage has a high ceiling and small lateral blast zones.

For logical reasons, you would assume that characters with good edgeguard possibilities would have the upper hand, and they do. Having a somehow big offstage space, edgeguarding techniques can be mixed up easily, also having the possibility for certain character to use their wall jump or wall grapples for recovery/offensive purposes.

Light characters benefit due to Fountain of Dreams’s relatively high ceiling making up for their diminished survival abilities. It also makes a good counterpick for characters with high vertical kill power, as it delays their kills

If, and only if, Fountain of Dreams had returned in Smash 4, things would be somehow different. With the change of the wall grapple mechanic to the tether recovery, the use of the Z-Air offstage would be only useful if used in a position where it could grab the ledge, instead of just latching onto the wall.

Yoshi’s Story

Another legal stage in Super Smash Bros. Melee. It also featured a similar layout to Battlefield, but its platforms extend wider and cover almost the same length as the main platform. The main platform also has slanted edges, greatly increasing some moves’ edgeguarding possibilities.

Another characteristic of the stage is the cloud, commonly referred to as “Randall” by some players. Randall has an exact 20 second cycle around the stage, entering the inner part of the stage when the clock marks a time ending with a “4”, and coming out when it marks a time ending with a “9”. Randall is sometimes used to help recover or even extend an edgeguard farther offstage.

The stage also has big walls, allowing characters with wall jumps and wall grapples to extend their recovery, alongside mixing up with the cloud.

This stage has small blast zones, aiding early kills, or helping character with low kill power compensate.

If this stage had returned for Smash 4, some characters that would have taken advantage of it would be characters with strong horizontal kill power and with needs of better recovery, like Captain Falcon, Ness, and Little Mac. However, the lack of it has affected the counterpicks for some characters; an example (and very notable one) is Marth, who took advantage of the small blast zones to get kills as early as 30% with a tipper F-Smash, covered some landing and back-to-stage options with his U-Tilt covering the majority of the left and right platforms, his D-Tilt being able to gimp recoveries when done in the slantation of the stage, and his amazing U-Throw kill power from the upper platform (and even without it).

Pokémon Stadium

Infamous for some weird go-through-the-floor glitches and possibilities for wall infinites, it was sadly taken out in Smash 4, and it was a “Melee Stage” in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Legal in both Melee and Brawl, this stage is a serious wild ride.

This stage has five different transformations. The “neutral” one is a large main platform with two floating platforms above it. The “grass” one has two slopes on the sides, two platforms on the middle (one in top of another) and one platform on the right. The “fire” one has a medium sized platform on the right, and a solid tree with a platform on the left. The “water” one has two platforms on the right, a slope on the left with a big windmill on top of it; the windmill rotates its four platforms and it is commonly used to get wall infinites and early ceiling kills. The “rock” one features two big mountains at both sides and a pit with platforms in the middle, also used for wall infinites; the mountain on the left, being higher, is normally used as a way to extend the space of edgeguarding, as the gap between the actual ledge and the top of the mountain does not favour players by resetting a neutral state. Instead, many characters can use it to prevent others from getting to the actual stage, while others use it to get kills off the top earlier.

The comeback of this stage would have given characters with good vertical kill power some advantages. Other with possibilities to rack up damage against the wall, like Lucario would have also benefited from this stage.

It is also worth noticing that, for the Brawl version of this stage, terrain actually affects some additional aspects. Specifically Olimar’s Pikmin pluck speed and probabilities. This wouldn't be this way in Smash 4 as Olimar's pluck order is now fixed.

Because of so many factors, like the closeness between the ceiling and some platforms, and the ability to wall infinite, Fox was notably benefited from this stage

It wouldn't be different if it had come back, still many characters have the ability to rack up damage by making the enemies bounce off walls and keep hitting, but not chain grab.

---​

So what do you think? Do you miss any of these stages? What is your favorite among these stages? Let us know in the comments!

Last edited:
Mario "Diosdi" Osuna

Comments

You know what stage has a high ceiling, moving stage elements, and transformations? Umbra Clock Tower, which sadly never got much of a chance.

And with Castle Siege and Delfino Plaza also cut, I can't feel sad about two not-quite-Battlefields, especially since we have Miiverse covering that role.

You know what stage has a high ceiling, moving stage elements, and transformations? Umbra Clock Tower, which sadly never got much of a chance.

And with Castle Siege and Delfino Plaza also cut, I can't feel sad about two not-quite-Battlefields, especially since we have Miiverse covering that role.
True, true. I like Umbra as a legal stage, unfortunately it didnt stand much a chance. Though, Miiverse is not a "not-quite-BF". It IS Battlefield XD The only difference is their main platform's shape

I miss FoD so much. In addition to everything you said, it also had a cool variant on one of the greatest themes in gaming history.

I miss FoD so much. In addition to everything you said, it also had a cool variant on one of the greatest themes in gaming history.
yeah but it got on dreamland 64 now, i have that song on high so i hear it a lot because its great.

Imo both the original and the FoD variant are great. While I do like Dreamland, I have a special place in my heart dedicated to hating Whispy Woods, so I'd prefer FoD to dreamland.

I still miss FoD (even though I loved playing on the Hyrule Temple stage alot and would have loved to see it on the 3DS (curse you Wii U).

Granted we have Dreamland 64 for our FoD needs, but it's not the same.

Too much visual clutter for me.

As far as I know, rarely anyone even gave it a chance (especially when right after EVO announced their stagelist for 2016, everyone just went along with it, not giving it much thought).

At this point there's just nothing to care or talk about because once something is banned, getting it unbanned is pretty much impossible.

Last edited:
Fountain ov dreams I definitely miss great memories.. I liked the graphics reflecting off the water and watnot xP and I love tht song so much especially the orchestrated version...

This post mostly focuses on past Melee stages, but I like some of the other stages in Brawl like Yoshi's Island and Frigate are fun.

This post mostly focuses on past Melee stages, but I like some of the other stages in Brawl like Yoshi's Island and Frigate are fun.
It focuses on past legal stages. Yoshi's Island returns in 3DS; but i will leave this for another arti- i wont spoil it for you ;)

Worth mentioning that blast zone locations tend to move when a stage shows up in multiple games. Dream Land 64's blast zones are notably far away in Melee, but in Smash 4, they're closer than they are on Battlefield! Because of this fact, we can't really speculate on what a stage's blast zones would do for various characters since we have no reason to believe they'd stay the way they are in a previous game.

I wish there was a stage that was just the neutral version of Pokemon. That might be my favorite stage. Thank you PM!

Characters are one thing, stages are just being picky. We all have our faves, but only 10% see average use anyway, and having all stages follow a standard design for each game kind of removes the charm of stage versatility in my mind anyway.

PS1 totally would be banned if it was brought back. Like, straight up we've got plenty of stages to not need PS1 in the rotation. Yoshi's Story would horribly favor edgeguarders due to the low commitment recoveries of smash 4 allowing characters to literally go to the blast zone for edge guards. One big example of this i can think of is Bayonetta's up b allowing for hella early, low commitment kills. FoD would be interesting though. Make some of the free recoveries in smash 4 a little less, free.

I really miss peaches castle and fountain of dreams, not just because they were great competitive stages but they were just damn fun in general, especially dreams since that stage was relaxing to play on.
There's a lot of missing returning stages in smash 4 that baffle me tbh, hell they only brought back an amazing stage like pirates ship as dlc and the fact that they brought back 75m really makes the lack of them stages more annoying to me.

PS1 totally would be banned if it was brought back. Like, straight up we've got plenty of stages to not need PS1 in the rotation. Yoshi's Story would horribly favor edgeguarders due to the low commitment recoveries of smash 4 allowing characters to literally go to the blast zone for edge guards. One big example of this i can think of is Bayonetta's up b allowing for hella early, low commitment kills. FoD would be interesting though. Make some of the free recoveries in smash 4 a little less, free.
If the ceiling was raised (Dreamland was shrunk... if only they could make it bigger again >_>) on PS, it would be phenonenal. Walls don't bring any issues with jabs moving people back and no CGs besides teching to live long times, and only two of 5 transformations allow it (never mind that those can be untechable).

If the ceiling remained low it would be mediocre and mathe banned, but with a little blastzone adjustment, I think it would be a popular addition.

And besides that, 7 really isn't plenty of stages with how tree-camping works and two stages with nearly identical platform layouts. 8 would be a nice number with one of these (or Yoshi's Brawl) on Wii U, or we could swap it in for Dreamland with how redundant it is (when considering the small blastzones).

There are some favorite stages I wish would come back but they were not in SSB4...

64 - Yoshi's Island
64 - Saffron City
Melee - Kongo Jungle
Melee - Great Bay
Melee - Fountain of Dreams
Melee - Fourside
Melee - Kingdom
Melee - Kingdom II
Brawl - Spear Pillar
Brawl - Summit

Top Bottom