• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Hero of Winds - Toon Link in Smash Ultimate!

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I'm fairly content with Toon Link as he is in 4, but I'd also definitely like to see a few buffs. Those are always welcome.

I'm interested to see how he'll match up against the newcomers we've seen so far.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
So what do you guy's think of the possibility of Conductor Link becomming an alternate costume for Toon Link?
I mean, the model quality seems to be roughly the same and he's just going to get replaced with Alfonzo anyway whenever Toon Link comes into the stage. Seems like a bit of a waste to just tease him as a background cameo like that. Especially since modders will probably port his model over Toon Link anyway once that's possible so why not?

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
They really should add Conductor Link as an alternate for Toon Link. Toon Link's alts are cool, but he deserves a bit of flare in one or two of his alts.
Unfortunately I'm not too confident in that happening since the Zelda characters always seem to just get recolors in every Smash game even though the series would be perfect for adding unique alts since it has multiple versions of those same characters. About half of Toon Link's alts are still MIA though, so we'll see what happens. I'd love to get surprised.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
They really should add Conductor Link as an alternate for Toon Link. Toon Link's alts are cool, but he deserves a bit of flare in one or two of his alts.
Unfortunately I'm not too confident in that happening since the Zelda characters always seem to just get recolors in every Smash game even though the series would be perfect for adding unique alts since it has multiple versions of those same characters. About half of Toon Link's alts are still MIA though, so we'll see what happens. I'd love to get surprised.
I mean, Link has both his Champions tunic and the Tunic of the Wild set so they did give one of the Zelda characters and alt. Toon Link also had a large wardrobe of outfits in the past. Most notably being his Outset clothing and conductors outfit. I'd be a little bit bummed if he didn't get at least one of them as an alternate costume. Here's hoping.

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
I mean, Link has both his Champions tunic and the Tunic of the Wild set so they did give one of the Zelda characters and alt. Toon Link also had a large wardrobe of outfits in the past. Most notably being his Outset clothing and conductors outfit. I'd be a little bit bummed if he didn't get at least one of them as an alternate costume. Here's hoping.
Yeah, I did think about Link's new alt. I feel like they gave him that alt to make sure he still had a classic looking Link design more than anything.
Toon Link's home stage is Spirit Train this time around instead of Pirate Ship, so maybe they'll consider giving him the Conductor's outfit. It's such an obvious thing to do that it has to have crossed their minds at some point. I definitely wouldn't mind losing his gray tunic outfit for it if they have to keep the number of alts at 8. I think the 2 classic looking alts should stick around though.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah, I did think about Link's new alt. I feel like they gave him that alt to make sure he still had a classic looking Link design more than anything.
Toon Link's home stage is Spirit Train this time around instead of Pirate Ship, so maybe they'll consider giving him the Conductor's outfit. It's such an obvious thing to do that it has to have crossed their minds at some point. I definitely wouldn't mind losing his gray tunic outfit for it if they have to keep the number of alts at 8. I think the 2 classic looking alts should stick around though.
I guess if Toon Zelda makes it in as an echo/clone/semi-clone they could reveal that Toon Link has his conductor outfit as an alt alongside her. Either that or they might dedicate another section in the next Direct revealing more alts or talking about the characters they haven't covered yet, which Toon Link was one of them.

Last edited:

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
I guess if Toon Zelda makes it in as an echo/clone/semi-clone they could reveal that Toon Link has his conductor outfit as an alt alongside her. Either that or they might dedicate another section in the next Direct revealing more alts or talking about the characters they haven't covered yet, which Toon Link was one of them.
That would definitely be a cute way to reveal a Conductor alt for Toon Link.

If they dedicated a section of a Smash Direct to reveal alts I’d hope that would mean they’re giving every character more than 8, or that every character will have at least one unique alt. That would be exciting.

ILJ

Smash Apprentice
NNID
giancarlo777
3DS FC
2852-9628-7134
Yessss. He needs a flare!

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Been waiting for an Outset Island outfit alt for five years now (roughly when I first got into the speculation scene for Smash 4).

Will it finally happen? I'm not terribly confident of it, but one can hope.

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
Scamper52596 Scamper52596
The bluish/grayish tunic is his best one. They can replace dark toon link with conductor / outset
I'm fairly content with Toon Link as he is in 4, but I'd also definitely like to see a few buffs. Those are always welcome.

I'm interested to see how he'll match up against the newcomers we've seen so far.
Toon Link in 4 isn't bad by any means but if you break his wall he's helpless. Those couple changes give him a better contingency.

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
I realized something: If we only get one new costume I want it to be this:

Let me mess someone up looking like a gentle leprechaun

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
Lol that would be awesome.

I just hope though we finally do get his outset cloths. Second quest in windwaker is so much better simply because of those cloths...... and no hat!

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
I know it's still a little ways off but would anyone be interested in a Day 3 (Sunday) tournament between link, young link, and toon link players? Could be fun imo

ILJ

Smash Apprentice
NNID
giancarlo777
3DS FC
2852-9628-7134
Tink needs a buff on his bomb pull out data. I think its 17 frames now, but he will need a frame 10-12 at the very least with the speed of this game lol.

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
I really wish they did a little more to differentiate Toon Link from Young Link to make him more of a Wolf/Lucas semi clone where they have a lot of similarites but still feel very different, like give him some his items from Wind Waker

Since Link can have multiple arrows, YL Fire Arrows, TL should have Ice Arrows.

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
Idk how helpful ice arrows would be in practice. They'd probably come with more lag and I think the freezing effect is best as a finisher and arrows are best used to open up the opponent / apply pressure.

Also, Toon Link's arrows are differentiated by the nature of not having an effect/gimmick like the other two. If they had to do something to make them flashier though, my pipe dream new mechanic would be that if the arrows hit the ground it would create a small frozen puddle with decreased traction, similar to the small flame his custom arrows created.

Something like that it could potentially make him a lot more threatening. Imagine setting up a puddle at close range while continuing to zone from mid-range. Opponents either have to approach by sliding on the frozen puddle or aerially. The latter would often be the choice which can be accounted for and countered.

I don't think he needs that though and that would probably be a contributing factor to pushing him to too good :laugh:

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
If any of you get a chance to check out the demo as best buy I urge you to pick Samus for at least one match. As her, pick up an item and try to zair. I'm hoping we can zair with a bomb again.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I’ve always thought it would be cool for Toon Link to be a bit more de-cloned by having unique specials. One of the things that separates each incarnation of Link the most is their varying arsenal of items, so why not make use of that?

Neutral B - Magic Arrows (like Young Link had in Melee, but switching between fire and ice each hit)

Side B - Skull Hammer (like Kirby’s Side B, with the same delay, but it slams down on the ground in front)

Down B - Hurricane Spin (hold it down to charge it, takes about 5 full seconds to reach max charge, but also has a second or two of Toon Link being tired afterwards)

Up B - Deku Leak (acts as if there was a wind gust underneath)

Final Smash - Wind’s Requiem (wild winds come in blowing everyone around except Toon Link who still has control)

And his grab could be changed to the grappling hook to further differentiate.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

It seems like Toon Link's Spin attack went back to a normal effect rather than the green trail that referenced his hurricane spin, A bit of a bummer, though I do wish they allowed you to move with his spin attack though.

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
In case you wanted a closer look at that spin attack.

It looks like we can z-drop without a zair coming out again! He does it a couple times but look at 2:20 for a specific example.

Toon Link's palettes from smash 4 are back. Jump to 1:45

Changes noted in this reddit thread:

Toon Link
-You do not perform Zair when Z-dropping bombs
-Has a 1 hit FSmash
-Grounded Up B has increased knockback
-Up Smash has no sour spot or late hit
-Tether ignores frame 55 rule
-Up Air may have more active frames
-Back Air has less end lag
-Down Air has less end lag
-May run faster
Young link's arrows autocancel on short hop. I'm not sure if anyone's tested it but this could mean that Toon Link gets SHDA back!

Last edited:

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
According to the Young Links, the boomerang thing happens to all three of us. Also, after clashing, the boomerangs disappear after a second or two, regardless of whether or not they hit the ground.

Last edited:
We've seen a lot of Young Link footage but only a couple matches with Toon Link, so there's some stuff I'm trying to wrap my head around regarding how the two play. If I'm reading things correctly, Toon Link seems faster on the ground, but slightly slower in the air while also having moves that slow his momentum. He also seems to have overall average attack speed, whereas Young Link has moves that are either incredibly fast or kind of slow.

There's a piece of me that wonders if the developers are trying to make Toon Link a more grounded character than Young Link, popping up into the air for follow-ups, but mostly sticking close to land. It's a weird thought to me, since I played him mostly as an aerial fighter when I picked him up in brawl. He just seems to have his mobility polarized more in each game. The new jumps could be messing with my perception, though.

I am liking his f-air in Ultimate so far. The thing looks powerful.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
If anyone's interested, a Smash 4 Toon Link main from my region gave his thoughts on various Ultimate characters, including Toon Link. Overall, he is still very positive about him.

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sqnqll
Oh, that's nice to hear.
Its hard to find some good Toon Link gameplay, probably because he's currently overshadowed by the other two Link's. I guess we'll probably have to wait until release to get a closer look at him.

Still good to know that he's still good though.

Glad that the boy's still in there. Between the kid Links we get to have an interesting choice in strengths and weaknesses, which I'm glad for. When the Young Link hype was at it's peak (not that it's gone, just settled some), I was a little confused and worried that Toon Link would be seen as just inferior Young Link. I didn't want my main for the past nine years to get that treatment. Instead, we get a jumpy boy who has crazy damage potential but likely struggles to kill, and another who probably likes to stick closer to the ground and can kill just fine but has a harder time landing if caught in the air. That makes me think I'll probably play both quite a lot.

DarkAuraful

Torpid Dragon
Hi there, Toon Links!

I come with greetings as another Toon Link player with many fond and fun memories through Brawl and Smash 4. Toon Link was my main in Brawl, and while the same can't be said for Smash 4 (I played mainly Lucina and Ryu, as self-explanatory below my avi), he was one of my pockets alongside Link who I had one of the most fun in playing online.

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker was the third Zelda game and I ranked it in my top 3, only behind the likes of Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess. Wind Waker was one of the top five highlights I enjoyed throughout the Nintendo Gamecube and its HD Remaster on the Wii U brought out an experience just as fresh and new. While I haven't played the DS Toon games, I consider Wind Waker to be a timeless Zelda game!

I realize that I am posting this since there's not much going on here until Smash Ultimate drops. Until then, I am excited to meet new people and make friends here as I plan on watching this thread. There will be new characters to experiment which may even lead to potential pick-ups, but I have not doubt in my mind that I will continue to pick up Toon Link despite the changes he may have.

I looking forward to making memories and having fun!

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Some new pieces of information about Toon Link. Apparently, he's both faster in the ground and in the air than Link and Young Link and he's also faster in the air than in Smash 4.

http://kuroganehammer.com/Ultimate/AirSpeed
http://kuroganehammer.com/Ultimate/RunSpeed
Oh that's interesting to note. He's also apparently heavier than Young Link inb4 because he has a bigger head joke...

I feel like Toon Link will probably do pretty well, here's hoping to see more gameplay of him soon once the Young Link and Link hype settles down a bit.

The air speed thing is interesting, since Toon Link has moves that slow his aerial momentum that will make him feel slower. In a lot of situations he probably won't get up to his full air speed, unlike Young Link. Honestly, that's okay, though. He's so fast on the ground he shouldn't have a problem getting the positioning and follow-ups he needs to do well.

I'm a bit curious about what he'll be able to do with running up-tilt. I could see some potential for bomb or boomerang into up-tilt into up-air at lower percents. I don't really know how glide-tossing works, either, and that could make things interesting. The more I think about Toon Link in Ultimate, the more I feel like he could be a style monster. He always has been to some degree, but he's never had a game with movement options like this.

I don't know about combos off of trades, but arrows do seem like they could combo on hit, and boomerang seems like it might be easier to combo, too. I'm getting the sense that Toon Link can do everything he could in Smash 4 except maybe up-tilt into grounded moves with more ease than before. Brawl tech is probably gone, if I had to guess. I would have loved having double bair back, but that would be too much, I suppose. This video shows off more of his projectile stuff:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27Ryf4oBdNY

Nothing too fancy, but there are boomerang or bomb into fair or nair combos and a couple of nice up-air kills. Probably one of the coolest things to me in this video was that TL threw a bomb at K. Rool's recovery and it bounced up, landing back on the propeller to explode anyway. Also TL lived to something absurd like 180%.

Lobos

Smash Master
So far I'm liking toon link more than young link. I am really rusty in smash in general so its taking me sometime to get used to this.

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
I'm planning on co-maining both. I also feel pretty rusty right now lol. Either that or I just forgot how bad I really am :laugh:

Either way, I'm really enjoying how both feel.

Top Bottom