• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Hero of time Advanced Techniques

The Hero of time Advanced Techniques

Wheo

Smash Cadet
NNID
Inakenty
Wheo submitted a new guide:

The Hero of time Advanced Techniques - link, guide

Hey guys this is my second guide for link and i made this for the competetive players out there. i learned many things from your feedbacks last time and i hope i did a better job this time. i would be really grateful for some feedback again :)
Feel free to share my Videos and support the Smash Community!
i am still learning in doing videos so it helps me alot.
Read more about this guide...

Last edited:

_Relapse_

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0962-9930-5001
Nice guide German friend.

Is taunting a must do to after each combo to truly complete it?

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
I would be lying I said that I didn't learn anything. However, the guide is still incomplete.

Nice guide German friend.

Is taunting a must do to after each combo to truly complete it?
Of course! If you don't taunt after each combo you actually get some penalty dmg inflicted on you.

Wheo

Smash Cadet
NNID
Inakenty
thanks for your feedback guys :)
what do you miss elessar to make it complete ?

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
You failed to point out the custom settings you need for soft throws and for the cstick jab cancel. Also, to give credit tot he people whose videos you used.

Wheo

Smash Cadet
NNID
Inakenty
i explained them allready in my beginer guide and you can read also in the FAQs where you can learn it. i gave them allready credit in my beginer guide and those videos are all connected :)
and i also linked izaws smash video in my video because its pretty good :)
thanks for the feedback :)
i can also do a noticsfaction about the custom settings in the video what do you think ?
i thought its enough with the faqs and the beginer guide but i am new and mabye i am wrong :x

Last edited:

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
With the soft throw bombs you can do them while running forward as well if you dash/run, then turnaround, then cancel the lag of the turn with a JC throw back in the direction you were originally running. This is an amazing use of the soft throw that I don't see enough (and I don't think I've ever seen video footage of it).

Last edited:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
With the soft throw bombs you can do them while running forward as well if you dash/run, then turnaround, then cancel the lag of the turn with a JC throw back in the direction you were originally running. This is an amazing use of the soft throw that I don't see enough (and I don't think I've ever seen video footage of it).
I need to try that now.

@ Wheo Wheo When making a guide you can't rely on past information, you need to explain everything from scratch again. If you'll assume knowledge from your audience (that means that they know something already) then you are wasting your time with the guide. If people already know they don't need a guide. Every time you present something you need the explain everything involved in that move.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
I need to try that now.
The trouble is that I said this (and more) a while ago in the metagame thread, but I've found over the years that a lot of what I say gets unread or skimmed over or misunderstood because my posts tend to get long and technical.
I wish I could make vids... Then the world would know.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
You don't need to make videos, just make a tl;dr version for most people. Like start with the tl;dr version and then go into the technobabble.

link7

Smash Lord
NNID
Kidlink77
3DS FC
2234-7140-8163

Linkmario00

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Linkmario00
All the video was useful to me, (Well, I actually knew some stuff but can't perform it at best) but only one question: in the video, you say that there are two tipes of slide, a shor toss slide and a longer bomb slide, but how can I perform the longer? Do I have to JC the bomb throw (actually I do it a lot of time but I always get the shortest one)? Do I have to set the C sitck on smash? If yes, how can I perform soft bomb throwing yet?

Drigo Toes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrigoToesSato
Means Too Long Didn't Read...

By the way Wheo, you mentioned that it is almost imposible to plant the bomb in 1 full jump... that is not true, is fairly easy to do Buffering DownB while jumping. Also, I prefer to do Jab cancel lock with diagonal UP instead of DOWN, because if I fail, Utilt is less punishable than Dtilt. Anyway, your video is amazing :)

Last edited:

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
what does tl;dr mean ?
Believe it or not, this is actually in the smash dictionary.

All the video was useful to me, (Well, I actually knew some stuff but can't perform it at best) but only one question: in the video, you say that there are two tipes of slide, a shor toss slide and a longer bomb slide, but how can I perform the longer? Do I have to JC the bomb throw (actually I do it a lot of time but I always get the shortest one)? Do I have to set the C sitck on smash? If yes, how can I perform soft bomb throwing yet?
He's talking about the bombslide. You can search around the link boards for threads explaining it; alternatively there is a brief explanation of all the bombsliding possibilities in the smash dictionary. For example, it states that if you plan on using the c-stick for the dash throw input, it's actually better to have it set to attack and not smash.

Wheo

Smash Cadet
NNID
Inakenty
i explained the longer bomb slide in my beginer guide very good. its on the 8:00. But yes you need to chance control settings. the c stick must be on attack.
1. input : dash + c stick left, right,up or down its up to you.
2. input : contol stick up + grab

many people asked me that so mabye i will do a quick video where you can see what i am doing with the gc controller for both slides.

Means Too Long Didn't Read...

By the way Wheo, you mentioned that it is almost imposible to plant the bomb in 1 full jump... that is not true, is fairly easy to do Buffering DownB while jumping. Also, I prefer to do Jab cancel lock with diagonal UP instead of DOWN, because if I fail, Utilt is less punishable than Dtilt. Anyway, your video is amazing :)
i said its almost impossible with gamecube controller. its pretty hard for me because you have to be very fast and its more comfortable if you chance your control settings.
yeah i know you can also perfom the jab cancel by diagonal up its up to you :)

thanks for your feedback and support guys :D

Last edited:

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
i explained the longer bomb slide in my beginer guide very good. its on the 8:00. But yes you need to chance control settings. the c stick must be on attack.
1. input : dash + c stick left, right,up or down its up to you.
2. input : contol stick up + grab

many people asked me that so mabye i will do a quick video where you can see what i am doing with the gc controller for both slides.
Can you do any of the reverse bomb slides? FSK can pull them off, but most (at least me) can't do them without the game slowed down.

Drigo Toes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrigoToesSato
i said its almost impossible with gamecube controller. its pretty hard for me because you have to be very fast and its more comfortable if you chance your control settings.
I use GameCube Controller. I know how the control is set is personal, but If you press X to jump while maintain Down and hit B buffered, you can actually perform the complete movement with normal setting without any effort.

In other topic, i can't do the stupid bomb slide consistently. In a high percentage, i ended exploting myself with the bomb or thowing it normally (I can do DACUS fairly 100% of the time in brawl... i have C in ATTACKs)

Wheo

Smash Cadet
NNID
Inakenty
i had problems with that and failed often in some tournement battles so for me the best way was it to use the R or L buttom. but thanks for the advise :D
i just added it in my video project list. so i will start working on a slide guide for link soon with inputs and staff.
just give me a bit time :)
i will also post the guide in smash boards then or just subscribe my youtube channel that you wont miss it ;)

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Oh @ sasook sasook help me...

We already have a guide on bombslide and have talked exhaustively about them. Everything is in the index. If even that isn't easy enough, this is the link to the first actual thread and this one to the second one. Is that still too much work? Here, have a video made by Sook for brawl (inputs are the same):

I sometimes wonder why go through all the effort of having everything stickied and neatly organized if people will still miss it.

Drigo Toes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrigoToesSato
Oh @ sasook sasook help me...

We already have a guide on bombslide and have talked exhaustively about them. Everything is in the index. If even that isn't easy enough, this is the link to the first actual thread and this one to the second one. Is that still too much work? Here, have a video made by Sook for brawl (inputs are the same):

I sometimes wonder why go through all the effort of having everything stickied and neatly organized if people will still miss it.
Actually, I've seen all of the videos there, but i was trying to get a hint to perform it correctly (I don't know, maybe i'm pressing the buttons too early or too late, but i can't do the bomb slide in a percentage greater than 40% of the time)... In addition, i can do DACUS and bomb slide in brawl almost 100% of time, as already said, but i have problem IN SMASH 4!

Look, we already know much of the things that can be actually added in a video or guide, but that doesn't imply that we can make a clearer version of it. In that context, there are people that only check certains post coming from other webs or pages, and they don't have to know everything in the front page.

I don't mind (really, i know how hopeless can be put so much effort in organizing something, but others simply don't get it), but It could help if you (all the link users in this page) are a little less harsh with the rest of the people visiting us.

Back into topic, someone has the same problem as myself with bomb slide? I can't do the damn thing without throw the bomb to my feet (when using down C)?

Last edited:

Dumbfire

NNID
AncientSunlight
To be precise, the inputs are the same from Brawl, but the ones for the reverse bombslides and the standard (non up-throw fakeout) bombslide are more precise in this game, requiring a very precise sweetspot. See FSK's info in one of the threads.

Which bombslide are you trying Drigo?

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
I know you can @ Drigo Toes Drigo Toes , but try to understand from my perspective (at you said you can imagine ). We have the most organized board in SWF with all the info you could want in neatly organized stickies, and if we're missing something we provided with effective channels via which anyone can inquire anything. It's really intuitive and user friendly. However, we still get over 4 people every week disregarding every effort we made and creating a whole new thread to ask one question which, not only can it be answered by simply checking the stickies, but have also already been asked 5 times before. It's exasperating. They don't worry about us (our board, our culture, our effort our methods), they simply want to obtain something from us and leave. So why should we worry about them more than we already have by having all the information neatly lead out for anyone with two working neurons.

That and I actually enjoy responding to all the hate mail I receive daily.

Anyways, back on semi track (since this is a thread on a guide not a thread on bombslides) I have a lot of issues with bombslide as well. I can't pull them off always which is why I don't rely on them, I simply JC toss. It works fine for me to be honest and I haven't had a situation so far where bombslide would have a difference over JC toss.

As an answer to your question, read the threads I linked and you'll see that the timing/inputs are much more strick this time around because the way the control stick works now is weird, essentially.

Dumbfire

NNID
AncientSunlight
Anyways, back on semi track (since this is a thread on a guide not a thread on bombslides) I have a lot of issues with bombslide as well. I can't pull them off always which is why I don't rely on them, I simply JC toss. It works fine for me to be honest and I haven't had a situation so far where bombslide would have a difference over JC toss.
The thing is bombslides can lead into 'combos', which Ieven made a nice video on. I got a kill on a Sheik through bombslide to Utilt in tournament, which saved my face. The up one, meanwhile, is very useful for gaining distance fast on an opponent offstage while throwing a bomb up to cover options. Scizor uses only the Uthrow one, and to great effect -- check out his latest three sets.

Last edited:

link7

Smash Lord
NNID
Kidlink77
3DS FC
2234-7140-8163
That and I actually enjoy responding to all the hate mail I receive daily.
You should make a thread for all the hate mail you get. The amount of entertainment that derives from it would be through the roof.
Do it please. I need the laughs.

Dumbfire

NNID
AncientSunlight
You should make a thread for all the hate mail you get. The amount of entertainment that derives from it would be through the roof.
Do it please. I need the laughs.
Sadly that would be a breach of trust of the kind a mod couldn't ever do.

Drigo Toes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrigoToesSato
To be precise, the inputs are the same from Brawl, but the ones for the reverse bombslides and the standard (non up-throw fakeout) bombslide are more precise in this game, requiring a very precise sweetspot. See FSK's info in one of the threads.

Which bombslide are you trying Drigo?
Actually, all of them. I finally end working with JC toss, as Elessar. So, i need to be more precise to use bomb slide... i will try to practice it... as Volcanic said, it can be very useful in some situations (how about bomb slide with giant bombs? :x).

Now, into the very topic, i think all videos have to be autosufficient. In other words, i think Wheo must precise which set is using and how to perform all of the tricks, although there are in his previous video.

Koby_T

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kobyteith
Great stuff my friend! I would've liked to see more follow-ups from bombs if I'm being picky.

Sabaca

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SABACA
3DS FC
5198-2440-0970
The trouble is that I said this (and more) a while ago in the metagame thread, but I've found over the years that a lot of what I say gets unread or skimmed over or misunderstood because my posts tend to get long and technical.
I wish I could make vids... Then the world would know.
At least i am trying to read everything you post in the Link boards and try to use it. So don't feel like your work goes to waist it. :)
Elessar said:
Same thing. Keep it up. It seems like a lot actually ignore it but you help those who are truly interested in Link.

I want to take this chance to express my gratitude for all the work that was done in the Link boards. You all are awesome , thank you.

Ontopic:
I agree , it is a good guide because it transfers important information. It doesn't go too much into the technical details and doesn't explain it from the scratch , but we can definitely use it to visualize explanations of certain things and help people understand what Link can do.

Last edited:

ama99

Smash Journeyman
Good stuff in this video man! Your accent is badass! Great bomb techs in this video.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
I had trouble bombsliding till eventually I tried doing it by pressing the Y button (set to grab (I have weird controls)) to do the dash throw part then rolling my thumb down to the A button for the up-throw part. Overnight I could do it consistently and I used it in tournament matches the very next day.

Dumbfire

NNID
AncientSunlight
I had trouble bombsliding till eventually I tried doing it by pressing the Y button (set to grab (I have weird controls)) to do the dash throw part then rolling my thumb down to the A button for the up-throw part. Overnight I could do it consistently and I used it in tournament matches the very next day.
This is what FSK (our resident technician, now retired, for the unaware) did too. It's a great approach if you are struggling. (I use standard DACUS inputs without trouble.)

Wheo

Smash Cadet
NNID
Inakenty
yeah but only in germany till now :D
i am very busy atm with youtube and working so i dont have time to go to many offline tournaments. but i play often on offical online tournaments where my placing is always very good :D
Sabaca is also very good in tournaments with link in my country :)
thanks for your support and watching :)

Top Bottom