• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Headphone Thread

Frame Perfect

Smash Journeyman
? for the audiophiles, has anyone tried bang and olufsen? i mostly listen to musik on my tv sound system which is super high fidelity but thinking about getting nice headphones...

spacer`1

Smash Rookie
For you guys that like to game:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BJ17WKK/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This Mic attaches to any pair of headphones that allow you to use a different cord. I bought it a few days ago, and LOVE it! I didn't wanna buy a gaming headset after I'd already spent $300 on a pair of headphones, and this worked out perfectly. Can't complain.
That's actually pretty cool! I have a pair of Phillips Citiscape Headbands, and I'm really happy with them. That said, I used to have a pair of bose AE2's and I am definitely going to go back to Bose once my Phillips kick it.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
I'm deleting these because of a scandal I've come across since buying my headphones a long time back, I can't recommend these while there's a chance that you will not recieve the good product I have; I've also cancelled my order; sad to hear bad on a company I've previously had good dealings with... but being careful.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
I'm deleting these because of a scandal I've come across since buying my headphones a long time back, I can't recommend these while there's a chance that you will not recieve the good product I have; I've also cancelled my order; sad to hear bad on a company I've previously had good dealings with... but being careful.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Mmm, I tend to be more skeptical of big companies, though more for their clout in driving down production costs causing complacency. I've worked with a few companies who's quality dipped notably after the first few batches (due to putting so much pressure on their OEDs), I normally find small companies have more to loose from mistakes, so do more to stop them... Though I do come from a privileged position working in advertising...

Still always be skeptical, things change, even with companies you may have trusted previously.

Vixen

~::Fragile::~
Premium
for consumer based goods, yes. for companies like shure, sony's pro-audio dept, sennheiser, audeze, at, etc, they quality test every product they push out above a certain price point.

you can't lump consumer-made goods vs professional audio equipment

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
You make a point, but I've still seen things go wrong. I've worked with an aircraft manufacturer who released a number of planes with a fairly serious fault (no names given for obvious reasons) and they go through ridiculous amount of testing. Less skeptical does not mean not skeptical at all, that would only lead to disappointment.

Vixen

Premium
and headphone companies have very good return policies. shure, grado, audio technica, koss, etc will either repair, or replace parts for free of charge or a small fee.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
I'm not saying you don't have a point, but each to their own; both options have their merits.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
I work in advertising, there's no worry about that, they have different needs and practices, but their goal is just the same: maximizing long term profit... Maybe it's the insider perspective making me jaded, but just because something's professional does not mean it's above skepticism...

But we're getting off-topic. This is a place for talk of headphones, not about abstracting brand loyalty.

I'd be asking suggestions for replacement earphones, but that would be off-topic too, so I guess I'll let the thread have a rest.

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
If anyone's looking for stylish headphones that sound great I'd reccomend the v-moda m80s. They sound a million times better than beats and they look great(imo) plus they offer customization. I've had them for almost a year now and they're built like tanks.

:phone:
Damn it. I wish I knew about these before I bought my Beats by Dre®.

Just kidding. I actually care about my quality.

I have M50s.

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
Any other headphones that have some level of customability or array of colors like V Moda M80?

Vixen

Premium
Logitech Ultimate ears, if you're willing to pay a pretty penny.

Custom iems in general.

plenty of people on head-fi also customize stuff :3

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
SO I might end up getting some white Audio Technica MTH-m50s OR the new beats studios if my current ones break again. (On the third pair, wouldn't be surprised if they break again. Manufacturer's warranty is almost up, but I got the Target warranty and they will give me my full $300 back if they break, so I could use that to purchase a pair of the new studios)

I got a soundcard for Christmas, and with using that and tweaking the equalizer to boost the mids/highs, my Beats Studios sound amazing. However, plugged into the iPhone without the fancy soundcard and EQ... they sound muddy. It's a huge difference in sound quality. I want headphones that won't require tweaking to sound good, and I'm over the design of the studios. (Though they're extremely comfortable)

For those who have tried both the new Studios and ATH-m50s, how do the new studios compare to the ATH m50s? If it's about the same, I'll probably just wait til my old studios break. If I did get the ATH m50s, I'd like to sell my studios. How much should I list the studios for?

Last edited:

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
I greatly prefer the ath-m50s.

Are there any specific reasons?

How is the passive noise cancelling? I love the active cancelling of the studios for use when mowing the lawn, or people are talking the background.
How are the ATH-m50s as far as being comfortable? I've literally worn my studios all day several times, for gaming/music and I forget I even have them on that's how comfortable they are. I don't wanna have issues if I swap.

Last edited:

Vixen

Premium
Gonna play the devils advocate:

Don't get Audio Technica M50, OR Beats Studio. Go for Shure SRH840. Also consider Audio Technica IM50, Shure SE315.

The M50 is no longer the best in its price range. I can name several that do things better than the m50. At ~150.

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
Beats ****ing broke again.

Took out the batteries, spring came out with it. Target won't refund me until the manufacturers warranty is up. I'm getting a replacement from Beats now.

As soon as I get my car fixed, I'm buying new headphones. Jesus Christ... -.-

Centribo

Smash Rookie
Gonna play the devils advocate:

Don't get Audio Technica M50, OR Beats Studio. Go for Shure SRH840. Also consider Audio Technica IM50, Shure SE315.

The M50 is no longer the best in its price range. I can name several that do things better than the m50. At ~150.
I was exaggerating in my whole "master race" thing. I justed wanted to say that when I did my research for a new pair of headphones, the M50s were consistently recommended as the best in their range, so I got them and I've been loving them since. I haven't tried either the IM50 or the SE315, so I can't personally comment on either.

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
Was looking around for this thread, finally found it.

I was wondering if anyone decently-experienced in headphone knowledge could recommend some over-ear headphones to me. I mostly listen to lots of edm music with plentiful bass, as well as just general rock/metal. I want to try to find a decent headphone that can accommodate accordingly and provide me with a nice listening experience; but I am very lacking in headphone knowledge and am not sure where to even start looking. Which is why I figured I would try this thread since it seemed to be pretty active whilst it was still alive. Basically I want something that can provide bass, but not be only limited to that.

Brands I have been looking at have been Grado, Sennheiser, and Bose; but I am open to any other suggestions as well.

My price range is anywhere from 75-150, would like to stay more around the ~100 range however, if possible. Thanks in advance.

PMMikey

To be the best~
NNID
PMMikey
3DS FC
1478-6360-4387
So I'm like broke as a joke and I was wondering what are some good over the ear head phones for like 25 or under?

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
For headphones, I just use a pair of Razer Krakens. Nothing fancy. I dig the fact that this pair of headphones is my longest lasting pair so far.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
This isn't exactly headphones, but does anyone know a good brand for quality and hard wearing M to M audio cables? My headphones still work great, but I find I need to replace my cables every couple months... I want something with good sound quality too of course (there;s no point having good headphones and a bad cable), but the I keep trying different ones and they none seem to last all that long...

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Top Bottom