• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Hawk Samurai, Takamaru Ventures For Smash Switch (Operation #TakamaruForSamSho. See Page 26 for Details)

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
This thread has been quite silent...
Probably because there's not much else to talk about.

Meanwhile, Ashley and Captain Toad fans are still talking.

Just that we have to think of something worth talking about for Takamaru. Like uh, I guess how should we campaign for him after the game is out.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Assist trophies need to break out of their imposed prison and be unlockable characters.
In a perfect world, we all would love this.

AT's are good, but at the same time bad when it means characters all be confined to that role unless they are Echoes (Dark Samus) or have more development time to be unique (Little Mac)

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
Also, I don't know why waluigi got so much backlash for being a trophy again. Takamaru, lyn, krystal, and shovel knight would all be much more interesting additions. I mean waluigi would be funny and I'd be fine with his inclusion, but there are way better options and none of them got nearly as much love.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
So if they remade this game, what gameplay style would you want? I'm thinking ninja gaiden
That's the thing too. If he was playable in smash, ppl would be clamering for a new game. Takamaru and ray (custom robo) need new games, and waluigi needs his own open world pirate game where you have to cheat and steal to win.

As for type of game for takamaru, he could definitely have a ninja gaiden style game. Or something with gameplay similar to the arkham games. I'd give it some rpg elements too so you can upgrade skills, and I'd include some puzzles of sorts for progression.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
So if they remade this game, what gameplay style would you want? I'm thinking ninja gaiden
A hardcore action game is for the best. Nintendo hardly have much of those games, unless we count The Wonderful 101 (Which is by Platinum). I feel it would fit a modern Murasame Castle the most since the game was more focused on action and timed missions compared to The Legend of Zelda.

Zelda can be able about exploration and puzzles while Murasame Castle can be about scoring good combos from slashing enemies. Not that his world needs to be restricted, it cam be kind of big and have some room for exploring alternate paths like the original.

THE TemporaryFool

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4355-9441-8851
A hardcore action game is for the best. Nintendo hardly have much of those games, unless we count The Wonderful 101 (Which is by Platinum). I feel it would fit a modern Murasame Castle the most since the game was more focused on action and timed missions compared to The Legend of Zelda.

Zelda can be able about exploration and puzzles while Murasame Castle can be about scoring good combos from slashing enemies. Not that his world needs to be restricted, it cam be kind of big and have some room for exploring alternate paths like the original.
I feel like that could work, what kind of camera angle though?
Also: if Soul Calibur comes to the Switch, wouldn’t Takamaru make for a great guest? But

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Also: if Soul Calibur comes to the Switch, wouldn’t Takamaru make for a great guest? But
The camera should work like typical Ninja Gaiden games as in in always follows him from behind.

Takamaru would be a cool guest in Soul Calibu. But knowing Nintendo, they'd rather promote a more popular character like Link or a FE character instead.

Though if he's in, I hope he's fully different from Mitsurugi at least. And be able to us his ranged weapons as specials like SC2 Link.

THE TemporaryFool

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4355-9441-8851
The camera should work like typical Ninja Gaiden games as in in always follows him from behind.

Takamaru would be a cool guest in Soul Calibu. But knowing Nintendo, they'd rather promote a more popular character like Link or a FE character instead.

Though if he's in, I hope he's fully different from Mitsurugi at least. And be able to us his ranged weapons as specials like SC2 Link.
He was in Samurai Warriors 3, who’s to say that won’t happen?

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
He was in Samurai Warriors 3, who’s to say that won’t happen?
I think he was lucky in that regard because he's the only Nintendo character that fits a game called Samurai Warriors.

But you may be right, his fans just have to be louder. We all voted for him in the Hyrule Warriors poll, even if guest characters would never happen in a Zelda only crossover.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
It would help to make nintendo more than the Mario and Zelda people.
That is true.

It would help Nintendo step outside their comfort zone and make more games that aren't just the Big 3 and the other B list series people see all the time.

People knew of Takamaru thanks to that game and Nintendo Land. Plus Nintendo finally brining Murasame Castle to the west too.

Mr.J

Smash Apprentice

I support this idea!
I would be happy to see Takamaru in the limelight again actually.

Q-Long

Smash Lord
Yeah, it would be cool to see all of these retro characters revived. Sakurai's interpretation of Takamaru, Mach Rider in Melee, Sukapon now, and more all look pretty cool

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
I wanted Takamaru in Smash for a while. Smash was a series that taught me about most of Nintendo's characters that weren't Mario or Pokemon related, so old obscure characters like Takamaru were my jam. Takamaru specifically didn't catch my eye until they showed off the game Sakura Samurai-Art of the Sword. People thought it was a Murasame Castle reboot before we knew more information about it. When it became clear that that game wasn't related to Murasame Castle, I got curious and did some reasearching.

I bought the game day one when it launched on VC, but boy is it hard as nails, I don't think I ever finished it, though I got to maybe the fifth castle. Still really want Takamaru in Smash. I'll settle for an assist trophy for now though.

I kind of want it to be a little more faithful to the original tbh. Still top down with projectiles and sword slashes, but more modern design sensibilities like diagonal movements, new power-ups, and better options for recovery... I'd also kind of rather they go in a more cartoony direction with the art style rather than the one used for Smash Bros. Or maybe cartoony isn't the right word... something stylish. Maybe like Okami.

Mr.J

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, it would be cool to see all of these retro characters revived. Sakurai's interpretation of Takamaru, Mach Rider in Melee, Sukapon now, and more all look pretty cool
Would that include this picture of Stanley as well?

Attachments

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I kind of want it to be a little more faithful to the original tbh. Still top down with projectiles and sword slashes, but more modern design sensibilities like diagonal movements, new power-ups, and better options for recovery... I'd also kind of rather they go in a more cartoony direction with the art style rather than the one used for Smash Bros. Or maybe cartoony isn't the right word... something stylish. Maybe like Okami.
you know, I wouldn't mind this approach at all. As an eshop title.

It sounds quite fun.

StormC

Smash Hero
Also, I don't know why waluigi got so much backlash for being a trophy again. Takamaru, lyn, krystal, and shovel knight would all be much more interesting additions. I mean waluigi would be funny and I'd be fine with his inclusion, but there are way better options and none of them got nearly as much love.
Waluigi is much more popular than those characters.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Right.

No one can top Waluigi as far as his popularity. Being a Mario character helps.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
oh id also have a fair number of stealth missions in his game.

I'd definitely make the gameplay an action game. Like i said similar to the arkham games. But I think its important to also give a game more dimensions. Just hardcore action can get boring and repetitive. You need some puzzles, mysteries to discover, exploration, metroidvania elements, stealth, etc. A variety of challenges makes games more interesting.

Id love him in soul caliber
As for the camera angle - behind the shoulder i think is best. Like the arkham games or ninja gaiden.

ya i really dont get why nintendo has all these great ips and refuses to use them. Its absurd.

Right.

No one can top Waluigi as far as his popularity. Being a Mario character helps.
Waluigis popularity is so weird to me. Again, I'd love to see a game based on him, but id really also like to see nintendo use ALL of their IP's. Even ice climbers could have a game of their own. And adding someone to smash bros would automatically increase their popularity. I know that doesnt change that waluigi is popular already lol.

Also, for takamarus moveset if he ever got into smash - has anyone here played black and white bushido on steam? I'd definitely take some ideas from that game to add to his moveset.

I'd definitely give him the ability to "ninja/samurai vanish" by setting a teleport point. If you see how this works in black and white bushido, you set a point on the stage, and then when you use the item again, you use a smoke bomb to vanish, and then appear at the teleporting spot you set earlier.

Obviously he'd have a shyrouken as well.

Some cool moves he could also take from the incomplete lyn mod for PM. She has some awesome samurai attacks that would work great. In fact most of her moveset would be perfect.

Last edited:

Q-Long

Smash Lord
Yeah, its a cool design.

tbh I wanted Waluigi, though with his absence that's one less contender for characters from dead IPs. I want more characters revived.

ya i really dont get why nintendo has all these great ips and refuses to use them. Its absurd.
agreed. they were making so much new IPs during the GCN and Wii eras, then this suddenly just died off during the Wii U's life span sadly. I mean we got some new stuff like Splatoon and Xeno series, but alot of series died during the Wii U era too

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Yeah, its a cool design.

tbh I wanted Waluigi, though with his absence that's one less contender for characters from dead IPs. I want more characters revived.

agreed. they were making so much new IPs during the GCN and Wii eras, then this suddenly just died off during the Wii U's life span sadly. I mean we got some new stuff like Splatoon and Xeno series, but alot of series died during the Wii U era too
The Wii U and Wii eras is underrated.

So many new IP's and they fell off the face of the earth. Gamecube's no bette either (Poor Eternal Darkness and Chibi Robo).

This is why I am hoping for the next Smash, thee's a focus on more new franchises.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
Ya i really want more ip's revives too. Thats way more important to me. Waluigi just needs a game of his own more than anything else. Honestly, wario could use some more adventure games too.

The Wii U and Wii eras is underrated.

So many new IP's and they fell off the face of the earth. Gamecube's no bette either (Poor Eternal Darkness and Chibi Robo).

This is why I am hoping for the next Smash, thee's a focus on more new franchises.
Like what new franchises? Im almost certain theres gona be an arms dlc.
I really wana see more old school franchises get playable representation.

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
Hey Ronin crew, liking all the activity. I agree with the notion that a new Mysterious Murasame Castle should play like Ninja Gaiden! I'm thinking there could be a unique focus placed on incorporating iaijutsu into his kit, which would make his attacks stronger if the player manages to time the draw right when an enemy was about to attack. Think of it as an enhanced "parry." A lot of potential was lost when they made Takamaru just play like the custom sword character in Samurai Warriors 3. That sword should be holstered while Taka runs around!

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Like what new franchises? Im almost certain theres gona be an arms dlc.
I really wana see more old school franchises get playable representation.
I should had rephrased that. I mean franchises that are new to Smash with a playable character.

The only new franchises as of late worth adding however is ARMS.

But there are far older franchises worth adding if they dig into their history. More than Takamaru.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I guess it's a little late to show my support, but I was always a big supporter of Takamaru. I get a little bummed when I remember how quickly he was deconfirmed this time around.

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
I want him to have the gold trim from Samurai Warriors 3. It's super sleek and would give his moderately simplistic design just a bit more flourish.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Someone add me to the ronin list.. Yomi's Biggest Fan Yomi's Biggest Fan
Anyway, if you guys can change one thing about the design, what would it be?
I'd like to see the gold trims from Samurai Warriors 3 personally since it makes his already simplistic design pop out more.

And I'll say that you'll be on a the support list soon. The thread owner was hospitalized for a few weeks and he should be back later this day.

THE TemporaryFool

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4355-9441-8851
I'd like to see the gold trims from Samurai Warriors 3 personally since it makes his already simplistic design pop out more.

And I'll say that you'll be on a the support list soon. The thread owner was hospitalized for a few weeks and he should be back later this day.
Ok

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Because Waluigi apparently got snubbed for the new playable Mario character position by Daisy (and probably other ones that will come for this installment). The biggest series gets the most attention, so that attracts bad publicity alongside the good.

As far as Melee trophies go, this one aged fairly well alongside Mach Rider and Bubbles, although Sakurai could make him stand out further apart if he gave him his G&W hat:

https://www.deviantart.com/professorfandango/art/SMASH-150-016-STANLEY-719909908

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Because Waluigi apparently got snubbed for the new playable Mario character position by Daisy (and probably other ones that will come for this installment). The biggest series gets the most attention, so that attracts bad publicity alongside the good.
^ This.

And yeah. No other AT would had been snubbed since they have few competition with each other.

Takamaru has little to no competition. Unless we count Lip and Excitebiker.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
To see the place get real activity, even while I was in therapy for a while, makes me happy. Keep the discussion going, at least until all of these threads get locked by December.

I'll add anyone else new here assuming they want to be on the support list.

What mattes more is finding ways to still push for Takamaru. We should take a page from Ashley fans and never stop wanting our character in Smash. If they can do it, so can we.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
To see the place get real activity, even while I was in therapy for a while, makes me happy. Keep the discussion going, at least until all of these threads get locked by December.

What mattes more is finding ways to still push for Takamaru. We should take a page from Ashley fans and never stop wanting our character in Smash. If they can do it, so can we.
Glad to have the head shogun back.

Think of this newfound activity as a welcome back gift.

Shows that we as ronins go to stay strong and keep pushing forward. Like you did this month.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Glad to have the head shogun back.

Think of this newfound activity as a welcome back gift.

Shows that we as ronins go to stay strong and keep pushing forward. Like you did this month.
I'm taking a page from Fuzzy Pickles, we really need to find some creative ways to start our own campaign.

But at the same time, we will have to try twice as hard compared to what we did for the Smash Ballot years ago.

Just that this road will be tougher since his series isn't revived like Bomberman or have the big fandom Ashley has.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

You can put me on it, since I did buy the 3DS release of his game.

Top Bottom