• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Hawk Samurai, Takamaru Ventures For Smash Switch (Operation #TakamaruForSamSho. See Page 26 for Details)

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
How relevant is that Nintendo Land game to the series?

I have not play Murasame's Castle, but in Nintendo Land the moves were very fun.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143

I have not play Murasame's Castle, but in Nintendo Land the moves were very fun.
It's one of the few times in recent memory where the character was referenced and takes place in an aesthetically similar attraction to the main game from 1986 with similar mechnaics.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

It really takes the core element of the original Mysterious Murasame Castle game and puts them in first person. From the reliance on throwing projectiles at your enemies to defending yourself from shirukens with your blade.

It would be Takamaru's first mainstream international appearance since a sticker in Brawl since Samurai Warriors 3 appealed to a more niche audience.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
It really takes the core element of the original Mysterious Murasame Castle game and puts them in first person. From the reliance on throwing projectiles at your enemies to defending yourself from shirukens with your blade.

It would be Takamaru's first mainstream international appearance since a sticker in Brawl since Samurai Warriors 3 appealed to a more niche audience.
Do those other moves exist in his game? Slow down time, etc.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Do those other moves exist in his game? Slow down time, etc.
The things like slowing down time was more or less a new mechanic for Ninja Castle. And instead of pillboxes, you got hearts since they were more recognizable.

The things that were in the original game that were left out include the blue sandals (allowing you to walk on water), red sandals (faster walking speed), the bow and arrow (making throw throwing speed faster), kabuki helmet (invincibility), shogi pieces (which affected the way/direction you throw them: Rook, King, and Bishop), Invisibility Cloak (self explanatory), Inazuma Thunder (a thunder explosive that kills everything on the screen), Windmill Sword (the things Takamaru's Assist trophy throw compared to the smaller knives), and Fireballs (self explanatory).

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
The things like slowing down time was more or less a new mechanic for Ninja Castle. And instead of pillboxes, you got hearts since they were more recognizable.

The things that were in the original game that were left out include the blue sandals (allowing you to walk on water), red sandals (faster walking speed), the bow and arrow (making throw throwing speed faster), kabuki helmet (invincibility), shogi pieces (which affected the way/direction you throw them: Rook, King, and Bishop), Invisibility Cloak (self explanatory), Inazuma Thunder (a thunder explosive that kills everything on the screen), Windmill Sword (the things Takamaru's Assist trophy throw compared to the smaller knives), and Fireballs (self explanatory).
I've assumed Takamaru a likelihood since Brawl.
And now that I have read all of this, I am pretty pumped.

Thanks, YBF, and thanks Smashboards for making me pure hype!

DuwangAnon

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0516-7668-7793
Do you think they'd have to make up a fair bit of his moveset if he made it into Smash? I mean, he doesn't really have anything close to a recovery move.

D

Deleted member

Do you think they'd have to make up a fair bit of his moveset if he made it into Smash? I mean, he doesn't really have anything close to a recovery move.
Well he could use the invisibility cloak to vanish and then reappear, kinda like Mewtwo.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
They could definitely improvise some fun stuff though. I'm kinda partial to using his invisibility scroll as an Up B in a way like Shiek's Vanish Up B, except instead of a slow wind up to becoming intangible/tangible, you'd just see a circle shadow cartoonishly "walk" in a d-pad direction through the air or along the ground in the direction you choose.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Some would suggest the cloak works the best as a recovery.

Or else he could get things like rising slashes like most of the playable swordsmen or a rising flurry like the Mii Fighter.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
One idea I had was that Takamaru would do sort of a jumping spinning slash to fully separate him from the other swordsmen as far as recoveries.

Though it's true the cloak would make for a great option.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Feel free to use my write up in RTC if you wanna update the OP of this thread for explaining Takamaru's likely inclusion. Free-of-charge. :)
Oh nice, thanks Blue.

Though the hard part would be finding where to place it since too much text could make an OP crash.

That happened once for another thread I've owned (Daisy).

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
The OP looks normal for now with the new addition.

Good call on having it put in a spoiler above the detailed swordsman explanation.

Yomi's Biggest Fan Yomi's Biggest Fan

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
They could definitely improvise some fun stuff though. I'm kinda partial to using his invisibility scroll as an Up B in a way like Shiek's Vanish Up B, except instead of a slow wind up to becoming intangible/tangible, you'd just see a circle shadow cartoonishly "walk" in a d-pad direction through the air or along the ground in the direction you choose.
Ha, that'd be great. Having him control like he originally did for a short for his recovery.
That wouldn't be a bad idea for his Final Smash, either. He puts on the samurai helmet for invincibility and you run around slashing people with the same control scheme, while ninjas pop out of the stage to throw shuriken at the other fighters.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Ha, that'd be great. Having him control like he originally did for a short for his recovery.
That wouldn't be a bad idea for his Final Smash, either. He puts on the samurai helmet for invincibility and you run around slashing people with the same control scheme, while ninjas pop out of the stage to throw shuriken at the other fighters.
Now that would be a funny Final Smash.

Involving the ninjas attacking from all directions is a great callback to how annoying they were. Not like the Fire Porters and Shinobu.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
You know, now that I think about it, the "lack of familiarity in the West" was always bull****, considering he added Marth and Roy to Melee before Fire Emblem ever came here. :/

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
You know, now that I think about it, the "lack of familiarity in the West" was always bull****, considering he added Marth and Roy to Melee before Fire Emblem ever came here. :/
Well, Sakurai changes his mind a lot during each development cycle. He went back on a lot of things during 4. Ryu is an example as he said there would never be a fighting game character in Smash. He originally felt the Animal Crossing Villager wouldn't work, the same for Miis and Pac-man.Also, his stance on Ridley changed from being possible but with a few caveats to being too big. So yes during Melee he might have felt it ok to add Japanese only characters but this time not so much, though he did almost cut them from the Western release.

Last edited:

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
It’s even funnier considering Europe never got Earthbound but Ness has been in every Smash game.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
It’s even funnier considering Europe never got Earthbound but Ness has been in every Smash game.
And Lucas got considered lucky if we were to look at Japan-only characters.

If only because he was meant to be in Melee and Mother was an established series.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
I personally don't like doing a "well I don't like your thing" talking about others. I want everyone to get something out of these games. It's rough waiting and hoping for things to pan out a certain way. lol

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I personally don't like doing a "well I don't like your thing" talking about others. I want everyone to get something out of these games. It's rough waiting and hoping for things to pan out a certain way. lol
True, true.

That's a much better way at look at things.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Well, Sakurai changes his mind a lot during each development cycle. He went back on a lot of things during 4. Ryu is an example as he said there would never be a fighting game character in Smash. He originally felt the Animal Crossing Villager wouldn't work, the same for Miis and Pac-man.Also, his stance on Ridley changed from being possible but with a few caveats to being too big. So yes during Melee he might have felt it ok to add Japanese only characters but this time not so much, though he did almost cut them from the Western release.
Which makes sense except for the fact he was planned in Melee - the same gameMarth and Roy in. He can't have been cut for "lack of familiarity in the West" in this game because Marth and Roy stayed, which leads me to believe he was cut for a different reason.

D

Deleted member

Oh lad, i can't believe it's not butter i haven't thrown my support here, i love me some Nintendo Retro (i mean i own the Balloon Fighter thread and i want to do a Mach Rider and Prince Sable threads)

I certainly want Takamaru to come back in a big way, and i think that if there's anyone that should get promoted to playable, it's him. With that said, im not sure if he's "the next Little Mac", since he has something that Taka doesn't, an actual resurgence back in 2009 with Punch Out Wii which proved to be very successful and boosted Mac's popularity, which i feel was a big contribution to his promotion in Smash 4 (if i remember correctly the reasons as to why he was scrapped was because of his low popularity and lack of relevance, and the latter doesn't make sesne when you consider he intetionally adds characters that haven't been relevant for years) .

With that said, he does have much better exposure now, especially in the west. Not only does he appear in Nintendo Land, Samurai Warriors 3 and others, his exposure as an AT only gives him more presence in the eyes of players.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
We have a sig icon guys!

(Credit to @Golden Icarus)
I was about to put that in my sig last night. It looks excellent.

Oh lad, i can't believe it's not butter i haven't thrown my support here, i love me some Nintendo Retro (i mean i own the Balloon Fighter thread and i want to do a Mach Rider and Prince Sable threads)

I certainly want Takamaru to come back in a big way, and i think that if there's anyone that should get promoted to playable, it's him. With that said, im not sure if he's "the next Little Mac", since he has something that Taka doesn't, an actual resurgence back in 2009 with Punch Out Wii which proved to be very successful and boosted Mac's popularity, which i feel was a big contribution to his promotion in Smash 4 (if i remember correctly the reasons as to why he was scrapped was because of his low popularity and lack of relevance, and the latter doesn't make sesne when you consider he intetionally adds characters that haven't been relevant for years) .

With that said, he does have much better exposure now, especially in the west. Not only does he appear in Nintendo Land, Samurai Warriors 3 and others, his exposure as an AT only gives him more presence in the eyes of players.
Welcome to the clan Tord. We are happy for your support.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Takamaru's gotten a 57% chance and a 58% want.

That makes him one of the most expected newcomers and a mixed bag as far as characters users want.

Not that bad for an old character.

D

Deleted member

I was really surprised to see people give him such a low chance score.
I thought the general consensus was that he's the most likely retro character.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Takamaru's gotten a 57% chance and a 58% want.

That makes him one of the most expected newcomers and a mixed bag as far as characters users want.

Not that bad for an old character.
Eh, I'd say that people are more neutral about him than being split.

A 58% isn't that bad per say.

Though what matters in the long run is us getting some closure on that Assist Trophy in the final game.

D

Deleted member

Eh, I'd say that people are more neutral about him than being split.

A 58% isn't that bad per say.

Though what matters in the long run is us getting some closure on that Assist Trophy in the final game.
And then you got those "ugh another swordfighter" people.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I was really surprised to see people give him such a low chance score.
I thought the general consensus was that he's the most likely retro character.
If you look at the top 9, he's above characters like some vets and even K. Rool himself.

Unless you mean all the 30% and 40% scores. I'd say it's more that not everyone is completely sure on how likely he is as character. It could go either way given that Sakurai could choose to keep the Assist Trophy.

That and some would rather have other more well known retros like Balloon Fighter.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
And then you got those "ugh another swordfighter" people.
Well it's not Sakurai's fault that swords are the most mainstream weapon in fiction and he adores Fire Emblem so much. :laugh:

I will always expect that sort of downplay to Takamaru since people's definition of uniqueness is "anything, but swords" when Takamaru happens to be a unique type of swordsman himself. And he's far from a realistic samurai when his game encourages danmaku (bullet hell) most of the time.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
I feel like Takamaru was kinda on fire through the whole thing. At one point, there were like 5 or 6 75-100% wants to every 0-25% wants which matters a lot. People know about him now, or know he has a cool fan base that would like to see him in. No one's been burned by rabid fans and everyone gets along well. I was also surprised to see how many people said they picked up his game or were knowledgeable enough on the multiple things he can do in a move set if promoted. This is a way better position for him versus the dark ages of pre-Brawl when I first heard of him and could count on one hand how many people genuinely knew what he did more than "he's a samurai!!"

The chance stuff is interesting though because it feels like there's a weird consensus that everyone thinks he can happen but at the same time everyone (fans included) feels like its literally a coin toss even with the higher visibility.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I feel like Takamaru was kinda on fire through the whole thing. At one point, there were like 5 or 6 75-100% wants to every 0-25% wants which matters a lot. People know about him now, or know he has a cool fan base that would like to see him in. No one's been burned by rabid fans and everyone gets along well. I was also surprised to see how many people said they picked up his game or were knowledgeable enough on the multiple things he can do in a move set if promoted. This is a way better position for him versus the dark ages of pre-Brawl when I first heard of him and could count on one hand how many people genuinely knew what he did more than "he's a samurai!!"

The chance stuff is interesting though because it feels like there's a weird consensus that everyone thinks he can happen but at the same time everyone (fans included) feels like its literally a coin toss even with the higher visibility.
I guess you can say some feel more confident than we do if we look at all the scores. Not that they should effect the final game in the long run.

Though yeah, hearing about how some actually played the game or know who he is definitely shows that he's not as unknown as he used to be anymore. If anything, people are bound to know who he is compared to the likes of Donbe & Hikari or Ayumi Tachibana (despite both being in Super Mario Maker over him).

Top Bottom