• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Hawk Samurai, Takamaru Ventures For Smash Switch (Operation #TakamaruForSamSho. See Page 26 for Details)

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
This reminds me that I have the Takamaru Smash 4 model downloaded. Maybe if I figure out how to rig it I can do stuff with it.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
I hate how much I chuckled. Also this image makes me really sad they couldn't model a full katana for him. This weird straight sword better not be a sign of what they'd intend to do with him if playable.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
We could at least come to that inclusion. That Assist Trophy would had helped made him more known instead of taking the risk to add a (former) Japan only character like Lucas all over again. I could imagine reactions like "Who the **** is this weeaboo trash? We want Snake!" or "Yay, we now have Disco Marth, who's 50% more Japanese".
"This guy's literally just Link, but for weebs! Samurai, you're gonna waste roster slots on useless filler like this?!"

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
"This guy's literally just Link, but for weebs! Samurai, you're gonna waste roster slots on useless filler like this?!"
As much as I hate to say it, THIS is the type of negative reaction Takamaru’s inclusion would get.

I doubt the average Nintendo fan knows what the definition of a weeaboo is.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
As much as I hate to say it, THIS is the type of negative reaction Takamaru’s inclusion would get.

Weeaboo just a silly term that was invented by a webcomic which, at the time, meant literally nothing and wasn't even intended to be used as anything but a gag.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
You can't make a judgement until you actually play someone. I learned that with Corrin. Too bad the average Nintendo fanboys wouldn't.

Have some music!

The Famicom Arranged Soundtrack was a great album dedicated to remixing many classic themes.

This Murasame Castle one being no exception. I’m also partial to the Mario and Famicom Detective Club ones too.

Last edited:

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
I really wish there were more arrangements of the Murasame Castle theme. This one's been the only one to absolutely floor me.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143

I dunno about that, I feel like people are more receptive to the character than you'd expect. It's probably because we've finally moved upward on the ladder so now people are willing to be open minded about what he brings +(an entire new franchise complete with new music and aesthetics) he isn't like a second or third rung character from an already Smash-established franchise. I get the feeling that even though there'll definitely be memeing about "just like a samurai"/"honor and shame"/"just like my Japanese animes", there'd definitely be an air of positivity with Takamaru specifically.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

Plz, we all know Tokyo Mirage Sessions character would be FAR more weeb than Takamaru will ever be.

I really wish there were more arrangements of the Murasame Castle theme. This one's been the only one to absolutely floor me.
For a fan made remix, this one is excellent. Murasame Castle’s soundtrack is too good to not remix. That’s a good enough reason why we need a stage based on it.

I dunno about that, I feel like people are more receptive to the character than you'd expect. It's probably because we've finally moved upward on the ladder so now people are willing to be open minded about what he brings +(an entire new franchise complete with new music and aesthetics) he isn't like a second or third rung character from an already Smash-established franchise. I get the feeling that even though there'll definitely be memeing about "just like a samurai"/"honor and shame"/"just like my Japanese animes", there'd definitely be an air of positivity with Takamaru specifically.
Oh believe me, I am expecting those kind of memes when he’s counfirmed.

And you are right, he’s nowhere near as controversial as say Ridley or an indie character. He may get some positive reception than the same old “too many swordsman” argument.

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Considering how Pit got a redesign for his inclusion, maybe Takamaru will get one to parallel what's happened with Link. Last Zelda game we saw radical changes right down to outfit, so if Takamaru was planned from the start for this Smash he might also get a huge redesign as if they had never stopped making his games.
I mean, Link kind of does have a ponytail too now. Maybe a hair cut is in order.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Considering how Pit got a redesign for his inclusion, maybe Takamaru will get one to parallel what's happened with Link. Last Zelda game we saw radical changes right down to outfit, so if Takamaru was planned from the start for this Smash he might also get a huge redesign as if they had never stopped making his games.
I mean, Link kind of does have a ponytail too now. Maybe a hair cut is in order.
I’d say Takamaru’s ponytail is just fine given many samurai in his era had them.

But as far as a redesign concerning his samurai yukata, some slight changes to make them less generic than the old design should be fine.

Calane

Smash Ace
Maybe this has already been brought up before, but I was doing some thinking. Since Takamaru doesn't really have a set personality, what do you guys think he'd act like if he were to be in the new Smash? I mean, would he be more like he is in Captain Rainbow? Samurai Warriors 3? A mix of both? Maybe something different entirely? I'm pretty interested to hear some ideas.

Personally, I'd make him a quiet introvert who seems sort of shy despite being quite fierce in battle. Of course, he would also be kind and honorable. I'm not sure how such a personality could be properly portrayed in Smash, however.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I’d say Takamaru’s ponytail is just fine given many samurai in his era had them.

But as far as a redesign concerning his samurai yukata, some slight changes to make them less generic than the old design should be fine.
This. Changing Takamaru’s design is fine to some extent as long as the ponytail remains untouched. It’s a big part of his background as a samurai.

Maybe this has already been brought up before, but I was doing some thinking. Since Takamaru doesn't really have a set personality, what do you guys think he'd act like if he were to be in the new Smash? I mean, would he be more like he is in Captain Rainbow? Samurai Warriors 3? A mix of both? Maybe something different entirely? I'm pretty interested to hear some ideas.

Personally, I'd make him a quiet introvert who seems sort of shy despite being quite fierce in battle. Of course, he would also be kind and honorable. I'm not sure how such a personality could be properly portrayed in Smash, however.
For me, I would see him a no-nonsense character with a strong sense of justice. He can have a caring chivalrous side to him while also having a sense of humor. He can still talk pretty outdated like in Captain Rainbow given the time period he grew up in.

Your idea sounds good enough for Takamaru. Smash is pretty good with personality if we look at characters like Wii Fit Trainer and Duck Hunt.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

Nice. That’s not too bad of a personality for Takamaru to have.

My idea is to take his Samurai Warriors 3 personality and make it more interesting. He can have a cool head, but lose it when one shows signs of lacking in skill as a fighter. He can also be a penchant for green tree and be very dedicated to mastering his swordsmanship. Not too hot blooded, because the last thing we need is for him to be Captain Falcon as a Samurai.

As much as I love Captain Rainbow, I just don't see Sakurai taking much from that game other than the colors. Little Mac had little to no Captain Rainbow elements at all since he’s already developed enough from Punch Out Wii.

The nose bleeding gag would cause some trouble for Japan’s CERO system too since Smash was ALWAYS rated A while Captain Rainbow is rated B for many reasons.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Not too hot blooded, because the last thing we need is for him to be Captain Falcon as a Samurai.
This. The last thing we need is for Takamaru to become one big meme. lol

The nose bleeding gag would cause some trouble for Japan’s CERO system too since Smash was ALWAYS rated A while Captain Rainbow is rated B for many reasons.
This is also a good point. If Sakurai’s interview about Palutena’s skirt is anything to go by, the CERO makes sure that not one thing would bypass a A rating.

So seeing Takamaru having crazy nosebleeds in Smash is out of the question.

Last edited:

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Just my 2 cents: I like the idea a lot, and can see that he's actually pretty big in Nintendo's history (And nintendo does acknowledge him, with the assist trophy, apparently being close to a playable character and the Nintendoland kinda cameo). BUT I support Lyndis more, and worry about the likelihood of 2 new katana weilding characters making it in, though I have no doubt that there's enough uniqueness to each of them for them to both be made well.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Just my 2 cents: I like the idea a lot, and can see that he's actually pretty big in Nintendo's history (And nintendo does acknowledge him, with the assist trophy, apparently being close to a playable character and the Nintendoland kinda cameo). BUT I support Lyndis more, and worry about the likelihood of 2 new katana weilding characters making it in, though I have no doubt that there's enough uniqueness to each of them for them to both be made well.
I can respect that, coming from someone that wants both.

While both are quick light Japanese sword users, they have their differences. Lyn is a far more physical fighter with at least a bow to use for ranged combat while Takamaru is far more skilled with various ranged tools (throwing knives, fire, etc) and some invisibility play.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if most Takamaru supporters happen to want Lyn as well.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
Re: Redesign

I kinda hope if they do anything to the character, they give him facial hair or one of those pyramid shaped hats like the guy in that video I linked from twitter yesterday. The facial hair thing would just be a cool in that "Vagabond" manga way.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

I can respect that, coming from someone that wants both.

While both are quick light Japanese sword users, they have their differences. Lyn is a far more physical fighter with at least a bow to use for ranged combat while Takamaru is far more skilled with various ranged tools (throwing knives, fire, etc) and some invisibility play.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if most Takamaru supporters happen to want Lyn as well.
I'm this person. I've been this person since 2005-6ish. You have no idea how much I just want to see a katana based draw and sheathe swordplay style created and attached to a character in the playable roster. Lyn was first but I really grew on Takamaru because he offers a lot in terms of both potential aesthetics (audio/visual & playstyle) and overall Nintendo history things. That said, in this strange era where Lyn genuinely might have a strong chance, I can't help but want both almost equally now. Always felt that Lyn would be hyper rush down focused with her insanely good movement and a ok-to-good projectile in the form of her bow while Takamaru is a more hyper technical mixed type playing at all ranges with his sword draw normals and wild projectile game.

In a sense, Takamaru and Lyn would be like Smash's Dante and Vergil, two sides of the exact same coin.

Personally, I like "cool dorks" (see: Pit in Uprising, Kenshin in Rurouni Kenshin) and his Captain Rainbow appearance would be such a great start minus the whole weird "can't deal with women" nosebleed gag.

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Maybe this has already been brought up before, but I was doing some thinking. Since Takamaru doesn't really have a set personality, what do you guys think he'd act like if he were to be in the new Smash?
Every screen of gameplay in Mysterious Murasame Castle is "samurai runs/parries for his life from 10 guys throwing shuriken at him". Takamaru's in over his head, and I like to think he knows it. He's just barely keeping his cool. Think Link, except behind that calm demeanour he's freaking out and trying not to show it. Apparently some sources say he's an apprentice samurai so him being inexperienced would gel well with being a bit overwhelmed. I also like the "can't handle being around women" character trait (could take or leave the nosebleed); even if he looks cool or in control opening his mouth would reveal he's very much a dork.

Calane

Smash Ace
I don't know how to reply to multiple people yet, but I just wanted to say thanks for the genuine answers to my question! If I had to say, I think PSIGuy PSIGuy has my favorite interpretation of Takamaru. Well, also bksbestbwoy bksbestbwoy since it's fairly similar. I have a weird fascination with re-imagining retro characters, so I just love reading things like this. Again, thanks to everyone who replied to me.

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
I believe I pitched a hypothetical sequel idea before but I never really touched on Takamaru's character in it? I'd like him to be calm, collected, and calculating. Maybe have a rather stern demeanor that opens up over the course of his story? Anyways, for Smash, keeping to the most basic character traits is essential, so I'd very much like that cool-head of his at play, especially in the case that he would need to do a lot of technical swordplay.

As for the Lyn/Takamaru thing: I support both lol. I find Lyn could be based on the wackier stuff she does in her game and Fire Emblem Warriors - teleporting, duplicating, super-speed, all that crazy magic. Takamaru would be, comparatively at least, more grounded; a Samurai with a lot of trinkets.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Sure, you can count me as another Takamaru supporter that wouldn’t mind Lyn either. They would be both fun. lol

I believe I pitched a hypothetical sequel idea before but I never really touched on Takamaru's character in it? I'd like him to be calm, collected, and calculating. Maybe have a rather stern demeanor that opens up over the course of his story? Anyways, for Smash, keeping to the most basic character traits is essential, so I'd very much like that cool-head of his at play, especially in the case that he would need to do a lot of technical swordplay.

As for the Lyn/Takamaru thing: I support both lol. I find Lyn could be based on the wackier stuff she does in her game and Fire Emblem Warriors - teleporting, duplicating, super-speed, all that crazy magic. Takamaru would be, comparatively at least, more grounded; a Samurai with a lot of trinkets.
Good points for both. Keeping the essential personality is important. Hence why the dog is such a goofball as he is a laughing troll, like Duck Hunt.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
So how likely do you guys think it is he'll make the jump from AT to playable character?
It can go either way.

I would say he is likely, but it’s more of a 50/50 coin flip.

He can be promoted a playable character or stay as an Assist Trophy. Though I feel that things would be stronger now that the samurai isn’t Japan only anymore.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
So how likely do you guys think it is he'll make the jump from AT to playable character?
It’s safe to say he would be in the 60’s range if I want to be generous.

Far better compared to the last time, but we may never know if he just could stay that Assist Trophy.

As of now, Inklings and Little Mac proves that one can still be promoted from Mii Fighter costumes to Assist Trophies easily.

Phoebee

Smash Cadet
Throwing in my support for Takamaru! He's much more known to the West now than before 4 I'd say, and he's been considered before. The main thing holding Sakurai back was worrying about Western reception, right? I think that gives us hope that he could show up in Smash for Switch.

Top Bottom