• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Hawk Samurai, Takamaru Ventures For Smash Switch (Operation #TakamaruForSamSho. See Page 26 for Details)

DuwangAnon

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0516-7668-7793
Depends on what studio or developed would be interested in it.

For example, no one made a new game for the Ice Climbers after years of them being in Smash. Pit was the case of Sakurai having more ideas for Pit later in the future.

With Takamaru, he does have a design that lend itself for a good action game. And one can hope they do it right.
The Mysterious Murasame Castle: Breath of the Wild sounds amazing.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
The Mysterious Murasame Castle: Breath of the Wild sounds amazing.
Woah there, not sure if they plan to give away Zelda's new formula to another IP. lol

Though I wouldn't mind an open world game with Takamaru. Just NO breakable weapons.

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
We already have an open world Edo period Samurai game - Nioh. I would like a linear action-adventure game too though please that's a genre with barely any contenders anymore.

Last edited:

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
Yeah for real. One o the big reasons why I really support the notion of a Kamiya/Platinum based reboot is because hack-and-slash type games are so rare nowadays and ones with a well done aesthetic are even more so. Takamaru just seems like a character that's perfectly geared towards that combat design too.

Let Zelda be Zelda and let Murasame be Murasame.

RosaPeach

Smash Journeyman
Takamaru is my number Nintendo character I want to see in smash bros. I'm a big fan of samurai's they're so awesome. Man I ways so disappointed to see Takamaru as assist trophy in smash 4. The reason why Sakurai didn't add him in smash 4 because he way so old school and decide to cut him. Personally I understand Ghirahim but Takamaru why no one didn't know who was Duck Hunt dont get me wrong I love Duck Hunt. But I think the reason doesn't make sense to me. Thank god we're getting new smash phew oh yeah baby I'am the samurai ready to smash.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
Nah, let's be honest, Duck Hunt Dog was a character who legit transcends time from that era of games. No one thought highly enough of the idea but it makes a lot of sense. What's more, it didn't take Takamaru's spot away from him as Takamaru was considered not planned. If anything, Little Mac was the character spot that Takamaru would occupy similarly to Pit in Brawl versus R.O.B. in Brawl (an old hero from a dormant game series versus a character created to represent Nintendo's hardware from that era).

Melee: Ice Climbers (Software), Mr. Game & Watch (Hardware)
Brawl: Pit (Software), R.O.B. (Hardware)
Smash 4: Little Mac (Software), Duck Hunt (Hardware)

I hope though that all this new excitement, curiosity and genuine interest for Takamaru results in his inclusion in this game though.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Holy cow, I've never even recognized that pattern until you pointed it out! Takamaru definitely would cover the software part, but who'd cover the hardware part? Labo? Duke Davis from Bad Street Brawler?

Last edited:

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
It's a pattern that's recently come to mind looking at the way people fight over designated retros and then realizing that technically we've had pairs of them previously. I don't like holding to any "certainties" though so it's all taken with a grain of salt.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Holy cow, I've never even recognized that pattern until you pointed it out! Takamaru definitely would cover the software part, but who'd cover the hardware part? Labo? Duke Davis from Bad Street Brawler?
It would be too late to have a Labo character unless it's a last minute addition.

Even a Virtual Boy character or a possible Nintendo toy rep is likelier.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Anyone play Samurai Shodown and The Last Blade games? I imagine Takamaru could play like that.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Funnily I was thinking of something along the lines of taking influence from Ukyo from Samurai Shodown or Baiken from Guilty Gear. Either a character that relies on quick draws to punish players or a character that punishes on block. Either way, a character that relies heavily on punishing.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Funnily I was thinking of something along the lines of taking influence from Ukyo from Samurai Shodown or Baiken from Guilty Gear. Either a character that relies on quick draws to punish players or a character that punishes on block. Either way, a character that relies heavily on punishing.
And this would be the best way to portray Takamaru as a fighter. All about that quick rushdown with some zoning.

Anyone play Samurai Shodown and The Last Blade games? I imagine Takamaru could play like that.
I play those games and I looked at them as inspiration for him for a while. Good idea.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Nah, let's be honest, Duck Hunt Dog was a character who legit transcends time from that era of games. No one thought highly enough of the idea but it makes a lot of sense. What's more, it didn't take Takamaru's spot away from him as Takamaru was considered not planned. If anything, Little Mac was the character spot that Takamaru would occupy similarly to Pit in Brawl versus R.O.B. in Brawl (an old hero from a dormant game series versus a character created to represent Nintendo's hardware from that era).

I hope though that all this new excitement, curiosity and genuine interest for Takamaru results in his inclusion in this game though.
Sounds good.

Takamaru (software) and Track Meet (hardware) would be perfect for me.

“Track Meet” is the name for the nameless track and field athlete from World Class Track Meet. That game used the NES Power Pad (hardware).

Anyway, back to Takamaru... I knew Takamaru reminded me of those Neo Geo fighting games involving samurais. It just seemed like a perfect fit for Takamaru.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Sounds good.

Takamaru (software) and Track Meet (hardware) would be perfect for me.

“Track Meet” is the name for the nameless track and field athlete from World Class Track Meet. That game used the NES Power Pad (hardware).

Anyway, back to Takamaru... I knew Takamaru reminded me of those Neo Geo fighting games involving samurais. It just seemed like a perfect fit for Takamaru.
Any fighting game samurai would be good inspiration for Takamaru.

Well, as far as his non-ranged attacks.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Any fighting game samurai would be good inspiration for Takamaru.

Well, as far as his non-ranged attacks.
This.

Want to know how a samurai would work in a fighter, look at other good examples like Guilty Gear's Baiken or Marvel vs Capcom's Silver Samurai.

Funnily enough, Silver Samurai also happen to use projectiles and elemental abilities like Takamaru. Hhhhmmmm...

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Still kinda hoping for swarms of ninja to storm the stage while Takamaru uses the kabuto to shrug off all attacks and take everyone out.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Now I'm curious as to what his Final Smash would be like. Hopefully it won't be another Great Aether-type or a copy of the Mii Swordsman's.
Still kinda hoping for swarms of ninja to storm the stage while Takamaru uses the kabuto to shrug off all attacks and take everyone out.
I think the most common suggested idea is the Inazuma Thunder bomb that clears the screen as a Final Smash.

Though something more off the wall and unique like Psyguy's idea is more in tune with the game's frantic theme.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Takamaru Final Smash: Inazuma lightning

Takamaru holds up his sword. During this time choose one of eight directions.

Takamaru illuminates, vanishing as eight bolts of lighting shoot from where he held up his sword. 4 in an X shape, 4 in a + shape.

The lighting hurts all that it hits, however if the bolt going in the chosen direction hits an opponent, Takamaru appears to deliver a high knock-back slice. If the chosen bolt, doesn't hit anyone, Takamaru appears where he executed the initial attack.

Last edited:

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
I usually don't think about potential Final Smash attacks but Inazuma Lightning makes the most sense because it's the screen-nuke from the original game.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
I kinda made mine a combination of the Kabuto and Inazuma Lightning. I like the idea of Takamaru taking a pre-emptive measure because the Lightning spell itself is so powerful. You'd be able to walk around the stage and pressing the special button would have him raise his sword Famicom Disk System box art pose and all where it'd call the lightning down on the stage.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I kinda made mine a combination of the Kabuto and Inazuma Lightning. I like the idea of Takamaru taking a pre-emptive measure because the Lightning spell itself is so powerful. You'd be able to walk around the stage and pressing the special button would have him raise his sword Famicom Disk System box art pose and all where it'd call the lightning down on the stage.
This is why I like your idea since he makes more interesting reactions to the use of the bomb at least.

Than simply using it and destroying everything.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Takamaru

Mechanics:

1. Blue Sandals: Instead of using his second jump, Takamaru can run horizontally in the air (leaving ripples of light below his sandals) by holding the jump button after the first jump. A press of 'A' while running performs a running slash. After the attack or length of the run, Takamaru will fall, but can still attack and use specials and dodge.

2. Shogi Pieces: Takamaru has a meter. Landing sword attacks fills the meter. When full, all three Shogi pieces appear where the meter was originally. Projectiles are improved for a limited time.

3. Sword String: For many attacks, Takamaru unsheathes his sword, quickly drawing his weapon for a slice. On tilts if he inputs a different tilt, while performing the first attack, Takamaru will not sheath his sword, but rather string the attacks together. There is less initial startup, but more lag after the second strike.

Takamaru uses throwing weapons for disruptions. He is fast, utilizing different techniques to close the distance to combo with his blade. An advanced player can dominate the battlefield. Takamaru has a sub-theme of being able to deal with multiple opponents with multi-projectile weapons, sweeping throws that suck in nearby enemies and an Up Smash that erupts into a lightning bolt.

However, he is light and tall and has moderate knock-back output.
SPECIALS

B Throwing Knife: Quickly throws a knife. If B is held, throws a second knife shortly afterwards. Does little damage and hitstun.

• Upgraded B Fire Shuriken: Throws three fireballs shaped like shurikens simultaneously in a row.

Side B Windmill Sword: Throws a curved, double bladed throwing weapon that goes far. Does more damage and stun than the knives, yet has longer animation. Only one can be on screen at the time, unless improved.

• Upgraded Side B Fourway Windmill Sword (+): Throws Four Windmill Swords in a + pattern. One behind, one in front, one directly above, one directly below.

Smash Side B Diagonal Windmill Sword: The throwing weapon goes forward and up at 45 degree angle, instead of straight.

• Upgraded Side B Fourward Windmill sword (X): Throws Four Windmill Swords in an X pattern.

Up B "I am throwing weapon": Takamaru flips multiple times in an upward arc while spinning his sword completely around him each time. Multiple hits with slight hitstun if an opponent is caught in the center of the blade. Goes all the way to the floor (with ending leg) unless:

• A press of 'B' will allow him to send an ending strike forward and down (meteor strike) then go into free fall. Can be canceled into free fall. Must end attack with a strike before you can grab the ledge.

Down B: Spiritual Projection: Takamaru meditates, legs crossed, arms out, palms up. A translucent image of him runs in the direction he is facing. The projection will go half of Fox's Illusion before disappearing. If B is pressed, Takamaru vanishes and appears where his illusion is running. The illusion becomes solid and Takamaru strikes upwards with his katana. Sets up combos. If any other button is pressed, Takamaru cancels the illusion and exits his meditating stance.
• Image goes through projectiles

-----------

A: Unsheaths, hitting with hilt during the action
Tilt A: Unsheathes for a low-range downward strike and then a straight stab.
Down A: Crouches down, unsheathes sword and spins body one revolution forward while slashing out blade low
Up A: Unsheathes and flicks blade upwards

Dash Attack: Slides low on sandals, unsheaths and slashes forwards

Smash: Unsheathes sword and does two rolling downwards strikes while taking a step forward between them. Can reflect projectiles. Moderate knockback.

Down Smash: Hunkers down (one knee bent and the other leg stretched out and braced for a pivot), unsheathes sword and with a hard two-handed grip revolves the sword around his body. If tipped, sends opponent into a roll in the direction they were going. Otherwise, the swipe sends the enemy completely horizontally. Moderate, yet straight angle is good for knocking people off stage.

Up Smash: Raises an illuminating sword straight up with two hands. Flashes blue. If an enemy touches the sword, a lightning bolt shoots out carrying the opponent upwards. Others can be hit by the bolt.

Neutral Aerial: Throws a knife in front and behind him. Does not upgrade with Shogi pieces.
Forward Aerial: Unsheathes sword and swings forward and up. Can combo into Up Aerial.
Back Aerial: Spins around, unsheathes sword and slice diagonally at a downward angle.
Down Aerial: A quick slice underneath. Does not meteor. Gives slight vertical lift to Takamaru the first time he uses it.
Up Aerial: Flips as he unsheathes sword and swings upwards.

Grab: Takamaru has a very short grab. His throws deal fair damage, but do not have the best knockback. The exaggerated slashes (longer than usual) and movement are designed to nab other enemies in free-for-alls.

A: Dips shoulder and hits with a braced forearm
Forward Throw: Two exaggerated slashes while moving forward, last sends opponents away
Up Throw: Two exaggerated slashes while rising up, last sends opponents away. Lands back on floor.
Back Throw: Whirls around opponent and dashes in with two exaggerated slashes, sending opponent away
Down Throw: Hit opponent down with his elbow and rakes them back and forth along the floor with two downward exaggerated slashes.

Chihiro Fujisaki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KnightOfSpace
as long as lucario returns, which he should be, and wolf comes back, theres only three characters i particularly want in this game: quote, takamaru, and marx. takamaru has my support.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
Source Gaming put out a really good roster hypothesizing video yesterday with a focus on our boy yet again.

Edit: Delzethin did, my bad.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
That's not Source Gaming, that's Delzethin.
This.

Either way, Del is great with his Smash content. I love watching it. Though the guy does need some help with his spine (which I hope he gets the proper treatment).

D

Deleted member

This.

Either way, Del is great with his Smash content. I love watching it. Though the guy does need some help with his spine (which I hope he gets the proper treatment).
Same.
That's the first time I hear about his spine though. I hope it gets treated.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
Oh I'm sorry, I didn't realize that Del was unaffiliated with SG as a whole, I just saw the name mentioned in passing with SG efforts and assumed. My mistake.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
So, if Takamaru got upgraded, will they update the design, like they did with Little Mac from Brawl to 4? IMO he needs a few minor tweaks to make him stand out more.

Takamaru sounds like a great idea, and all the movesets in this thread are pretty good. Hope he makes it in this time! Sadly, I think he might face a bit of competition with Lyn's insane popularity. They visually share some similarities and their weapons are similar.

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
Takamaru will most certainly be updated, his design has gotten a revision in all 4 of his major appearances (counting changes to the Nintendo Land costume)

And the biggest difference between Lyn and Takamaru is that Takamaru's main mode of attack is using projectiles! His sword is actually secondary. That's true to his original game's style of play, anyway.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Takamaru will most certainly be updated, his design has gotten a revision in all 4 of his major appearances (counting changes to the Nintendo Land costume)

And the biggest difference between Lyn and Takamaru is that Takamaru's main mode of attack is using projectiles! His sword is actually secondary. That's true to his original game's style of play, anyway.
This.

Lyn's biggest obstacle is the fact that we have many Fire Emblem characters as it is and if Sakurai would feel comfortable adding another one.

I wouldn't mind both and we are expecting a minor updated redesign compared to the Assist Trophy model for him.

Last edited:

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
Man, I can only imagine how the art team would spruce up Takamaru's design for the playable roster. I think he already had one of the most solid character designs for someone from the 80s Nintendo era (probably due to an actual top tier animator working on it) but the little additional accents they could give him could be fantastic.

Also, nice to see more activity in the thread again. I think everyone's been busy + nothing really big has popped up on the Smash front in a bit.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Man, I can only imagine how the art team would spruce up Takamaru's design for the playable roster. I think he already had one of the most solid character designs for someone from the 80s Nintendo era (probably due to an actual top tier animator working on it) but the little additional accents they could give him could be fantastic.

Also, nice to see more activity in the thread again. I think everyone's been busy + nothing really big has popped up on the Smash front in a bit.
That and we have until next month to get some big Smash news.

We need some closure on whether or not Takamaru will stay as an Assist Trophy. I feel THAT alone will make or break his inclusion in the roster.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
How's everyone feeling about Takamaru's chances with recent folks along the grapevine stating that this game has "jump out of your seat" tier reveals and that this Smash would potentially have "the best roster of them all"?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
It’s hard to say. Takamaru has such popularity as the go-to “definite retro pick” that it wouldn’t be very surprising, although it definitely would inch the roster towards the best ever.

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
I dunno, "jump out of your seat" gears towards bigger reveals... Taka's still pretty relatively obscure outside of Smash speculation. Doesn't give me hope, but I also haven't really heard any character leaks from verified sources so I'll take it with a grain of salt.

Top Bottom