• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town, Shantae for SSB4 (WayForward wants her in Smash)

DoctorSanity

Smash Journeyman
I'm just kinda annoyed nothing's been announced yet for the ballot. Like a simple "thanks for sending in your suggestions everyone!" would be enough to hold us lol.

ShyGuy XL

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShyGuyES
3DS FC
5386-9776-6327
I'm just kinda annoyed nothing's been announced yet for the ballot. Like a simple "thanks for sending in your suggestions everyone!" would be enough to hold us lol.
The ballot site acutally says something like that actually but yeah I wish we could have some update on the ballot it's been 2 weeks already I'm dying to see who else is gonna be added...

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
image.jpg
Remember that Indie-based 2D Fighting Game idea I had?

Here's the preview for an upcoming mockup roster with Shantae & Shovel Knight selected.

(If neither get in Smash, this should totally happen :p think about it, those who wanted them in a fighter like Smash are happy, and so are those who didn't)

Last edited:

ShyGuy XL

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShyGuyES
3DS FC
5386-9776-6327
View attachment 78024 Remember that Indie-based 2D Fighting Game idea I had?

Here's the preview for an upcoming mockup roster with Shantae & Shovel Knight selected.

(If neither get in Smash, this should totally happen :p think about it, those who wanted them in a fighter like Smash are happy, and so are those who didn't)
Came out good dude :)

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
If there was an indie fighting game what I'd want is for the characters to play EXACTLY like their original counterparts, moves, physics, controls the works. Then we'll see what the best game is for reals.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
If there was an indie fighting game what I'd want is for the characters to play EXACTLY like their original counterparts, moves, physics, controls the works. Then we'll see what the best game is for reals.
That somewhat limits the characters...

For a good roster of indies for a fighter, I currently have the roster of:
-Shantae
-Shovel Knight
-Reimu Hakurei (Touhou)
-Juan Acguate (Guacamelee)
-Gunvolt (Azure Sticker Gunvolt)
-Peacock (Skullgirls)

Reimu and Peacock have offical 2D fighting game movesets (Reimu may need a good nerfing and Peacock will need to learn to shut up), so they should be easy to fit in.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
That somewhat limits the characters...

For a good roster of indies for a fighter, I currently have the roster of:
-Shantae
-Shovel Knight
-Reimu Hakurei (Touhou)
-Juan Acguate (Guacamelee)
-Gunvolt (Azure Sticker Gunvolt)
-Peacock (Skullgirls)

Reimu and Peacock have offical 2D fighting game movesets (Reimu may need a good nerfing and Peacock will need to learn to shut up), so they should be easy to fit in.
Ah, you're thinking of a traditional joystick fighter game like Street Fighter. I was thinking a platform fighter like Smash. In which case which characters could easily work would be reversed.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Ah, you're thinking of a traditional joystick fighter game like Street Fighter. I was thinking a platform fighter like Smash. In which case which characters could easily work would be reversed.
I'd honestly rather have a 2D Arcade-styled fighting game.

Games that try to emulate Smash are usually very mediocre.

There's also no 2D Arcade fighters on Wii U. (SF Virtual Console and Tekken, which is more of a 3D game, doesn't count!)

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Speaking of Platform fighters, anyone else remember the multiplayer of New Super Mario Bros 1? Where you played as Mario and Luigi to collect stars and could use powerups against each other to make them drop theirs?

Laniv

Smash Champion
Speaking of Platform fighters, anyone else remember the multiplayer of New Super Mario Bros 1? Where you played as Mario and Luigi to collect stars and could use powerups against each other to make them drop theirs?
Back when I was a kid, that was pretty much the only thing I did on that game.:p

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Back when I was a kid, that was pretty much the only thing I did on that game.:p
Yeah it's a wonder there's not a full version of it or a similar indie game. My favorite was the ice one where I'd grab the blue shell and keep backward and forwarding until the star spawned. It was great when it worked and spectacular when it failed. I guess it's because the wrap around screen only really works on platformers.

D

Deleted member

Third support thread I've joined in the past two days, yeeees. I've been meaning to post in here but I guess today is the day! I'm glad that this thread is so huge, it's great that so many people want Shantae in this game as much as I do. Not only would she bring on a very creative moveset and give her series and WayForward very much deserved exposure, but it'd be awesome to see another member of the Super Bash Sisters. She's a total cutie and I absolutely love her. <3

Pirate's Curse is probably one of the best games I've played in recent memory, the music, beautifully self-aware dialouge ("I'm gonna be the best filler boss of all time!", gorgeous artwork and challenge just sold it for me. I can't wait for Half-Genie Hero either, getting it day one once it's out on Wii U.

So yee, heya there everybody.

Laniv

Smash Champion
Yeah it's a wonder there's not a full version of it or a similar indie game. My favorite was the ice one where I'd grab the blue shell and keep backward and forwarding until the star spawned. It was great when it worked and spectacular when it failed. I guess it's because the wrap around screen only really works on platformers.
My favorite was getting a Mega Mushroom in the underground level and watching everything just fall apart.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
the levels of sass on that Nega-Shantae are off the charts

Am I the only one who doesn't really like the Magic/Dancer/Princess outfit? :T

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
So it turns out that teaser Wayforward posted may be for a game based on the upcoming Goosebumps movie, rather than a sequel to LIT.

publishers

hollywood

cartoon television networks

plz

leave them alone

let them finish Half-Genie Hero

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
the levels of sass on that Nega-Shantae are off the charts

Am I the only one who doesn't really like the Magic/Dancer/Princess outfit? :T
I like it for what it is, a reference to Star Wars. Honestly, Shantae doesn't mind wearing it, so meh. Whereas Sky wants to forget they ever existed and Risky wanted to murder those guys for sticking her in it. Funny enough, Rottytops was the only one of the bunch to actively like that outfit.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
I like it for what it is, a reference to Star Wars. Honestly, Shantae doesn't mind wearing it, so meh. Whereas Sky wants to forget they ever existed and Risky wanted to murder those guys for sticking her in it. Funny enough, Rottytops was the only one of the bunch to actively like that outfit.
I just don't find it as charming or appealing as Shantae's normal attire, that's all.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So it turns out that teaser Wayforward posted may be for a game based on the upcoming Goosebumps movie, rather than a sequel to LIT.

publishers

hollywood

cartoon television networks

plz

leave them alone

let them finish Half-Genie Hero
Thus we see wayforward's strange semi-indie limbo in action.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Thus we see wayforward's strange semi-indie limbo in action.
Wayforward's liscensed work, according to an interview with Matt, are basically commissions. They get the money to produce the game from a publisher, they do so, they get paid for their efforts, and then the job's done, and now Wayforward waits for the next call.

Hey, at least they have an excuse to delay their original games, unlike comcept with their demo delays.

(HOW DO YOU DO THAT)

Don't get me wrong, I much prefer her normal outfit. Honestly, she looks adorable in just about anything.
True that.

Last edited:

takai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
infamoustakai
Not sure if this has been posted here yet, but I'm posting it anyway because it's perfect.

goatman2112

Smash Rookie
So i'ma a frequent reddit user, and sometime poster is r/smashbros and there seems to be a LOT of hatred for our favorite half genie hero over there, any reason why?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So i'ma a frequent reddit user, and sometime poster is r/smashbros and there seems to be a LOT of hatred for our favorite half genie hero over there, any reason why?
It's reddit.

Misfortunedarkrai

Smash Cadet
I think it's because of what she wears and people thinking her games suck which are all bad arguments if you ask me. but like I once said...
THE ONLY PEOPLE WHO DON'T LIKE SHANTAE, HAVE NEVER PLAYED HER GAMES! (Sorry, spongebob reference)

Last edited:

ShyGuy XL

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShyGuyES
3DS FC
5386-9776-6327
Yo remember that Shantae sketch I did ? I was finally able to take a more clear shot of it

KIMG0001.jpg

Drawn on 9.29.15 still pleased with sketch it's my best Shantae sketch so far~

DiagonalSpy07

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3754-7248-5911

TheTaoDragon

Smash Apprentice
I think it's because of what she wears and people thinking her games suck which are all bad arguments if you ask me. but like I once said...
THE ONLY PEOPLE WHO DON'T LIKE SHANTAE, HAVE NEVER PLAYED HER GAMES! (Sorry, spongebob reference)
Going to agree on the "what she wears" part, I got into an argument with a guy claiming she "is a waifu".

gb7zone7

Smash Apprentice
NNID
gb7zone7
I know dem feels. I'd love for this to be a game too.

Also SOOOO CUUUTTEEE for that image, but personally I think a cat look would fit more than a dog (then again that could be bias talking since I like cats more).
Agreed.

She's a cat.

SL the Pyro

Smash Apprentice
I still remember the best moment from that mode. Me and my friend were on the map made up of nothing but brick blocks, and he got a Mega Mushroom... in mid-air. He promptly fell through the floor and all his Stars popped out of the pit and landed on me, winning me the game.

Top Bottom