• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town, Shantae for SSB4 (WayForward wants her in Smash)

Midnight Twinkle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MidnightTwinkle
3DS FC
1461-6246-6413
Now people are starting to accuse Andre of "hating" Shantae.
He never said he hated Shantae, he simply said he felt that Shovel Knight had better chances at getting into Smash. No idea how he came to that conclusion but..... alright.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
On a lighter note...
image.jpg

This "CD-I Shantae" drawing from Matt is still something I find myself laughing at.

There was also an official Shantae twitter, with announcements and post-by-post recap of the original game from Shantae's perspective, mainly telling Uncle Mimic about her adventure.

My favorite is still this one:
image.jpg

uncle mimic confirmed for otaku

He never said he hated Shantae, he simply said he felt that Shovel Knight had better chances at getting into Smash. No idea how he came to that conclusion but..... alright.
To be completely honest, both are equals at this point. I wouldn't be surprised if both of them arrived along with K. Rool.

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608
Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
It's the internet, people do these things all the time.

BlitzUnleashed

Smash Apprentice
Though still, compared to Shovel Knight, Shantae has a better chance in terms of long history, appearing in Japan, Each of her games starting on a Nintendo platform, etc. This is just something Andre should've known by now. The only thing Shovel Knight has over Shantae is popularity. But that was really due to an unfair advantage, because of popular YouTubers doing let's plays on it, which convinced people to support him.

While yes, he didn't say he hated Shantae, he was favoring Shovel Knight way too much. And now some think Shantae's chances has dropped, and now are using that as an insult. Ok, I didn't check the comments because of how bad it can get when it comes to the Smash Ballot, but still.

Last edited:

DoctorSanity

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty sure he said he didn't think Shantae "had a chance in hell" right?

Cause I remember watching the video and that bit kinda surprised me at how direct he was. ...Then again I watch all Youtube videos at 1.25 speed to save time in the day so what do I know?

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Just confirmed Sakurai was visiting Wayforward's headquarters in California.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Though still, compared to Shovel Knight, Shantae has a better chance in terms of long history, appearing in Japan, Each of her games starting on a Nintendo platform, etc. This is just something Andre should've known by now. The only thing Shovel Knight has over Shantae is popularity. But that was really due to an unfair advantage, because of popular YouTubers doing let's plays on it, which convinced people to support him.

While yes, he didn't say he hated Shantae, he was favoring Shovel Knight way too much. And now some think Shantae's chances has dropped, and now are using that as an insult. Ok, I didn't check the comment thread because of how bad it can get when it comes to the Smash Ballot, but still.
Both have equals chances, personally.

Heck, both have sold equally well and had almost the same number of backers on Kickstarter.

Just confirmed Sakurai was visiting Wayforward's headquarters in California.
source where

Last edited:

Children0fTheStars

Smash Apprentice
Could you explain? Because it, sadly, kind of sounds like almost the same situation as the iMDB "leak" from the summer.

Last edited:

BlitzUnleashed

Smash Apprentice

Heck, both have sold equally well and had almost the same number of backers on Kickstarter.

source where
Touché

If that's the case, I would like to have them both in Smash over having just one of them. Because if only one of them made it in, then either the other would be picked on, or the fans would rage.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Somebody in California saw Sakurai enter the Wayforward studio with Reggie, with both wearing trench coats.

Or the person at the reception desk

(kappa)

Last edited:

Serell

Smash Apprentice

source where
>gives good argument stating why Shantae has better chances

>Replies with "both have equal chances, personally," giving no good argument

Stahp. It's ok to like Shovel Knight. It's ok to want him in Smash. It's not ok to be delusional about his chances. He's way too new, only has one game, and has no connection to Nintendo whatsoever. In fact, most people probably think of PC gaming when they think of Shovel Knight, because Indies are vastly more popular on the PC then they are on consoles.

The only thing Shovel Knight has over Shantae is popularity. That's it, and that does not surpass all of Shantae's qualifications.

I don't want to sound rude, but I get sick seeing people say Shovel Knight has equal or better chances than much better, deserving characters.

D

Deleted member

Damn you, twitter post. Getting my hopes up.

But hey, if this means Shantae will get any sort of representation, I'll be more than happy. A trophy would be enough for me.

Children0fTheStars

Smash Apprentice
Everyone, about the photo, I think there's been a mistake and it's causing misinformation to spread. It doesn't look like Sakurai actually visited California (after all... in spite of the lack of news, it's almost a certainty that the man would be busy with his teams back over in Japan given the Ballot's closing). It's just that I'm seeing people assuming it to be true and posting it around.

... I mean, unless I'm wrong, but from what we know so far people should just be careful about jumping the gun.

Stahp. It's ok to like Shovel Knight. It's ok to want him in Smash. It's not ok to be delusional about his chances. He's way too new, only has one game, and has no connection to Nintendo whatsoever. In fact, most people probably think of PC gaming when they think of Shovel Knight, because Indies are vastly more popular on the PC then they are on consoles.

The only thing Shovel Knight has over Shantae is popularity. That's it, and that does not surpass all of Shantae's qualifications.

I don't want to sound rude, but I get sick seeing people say Shovel Knight has equal or better chances than much better, deserving characters.
Well, the thing is people think of Shovel Knight as a very "Nintendo-like" game, being an homage to a certain era of Nintendo gaming after all. I'm not sure if they specifically mean it's directly linked with Nintendo.

Last edited:

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
Yikes, the comments on this vid are a mess, should've expected as much though
Usually I like these guys, but what the heck is with "Shantae has no chance in hell, but Shovel Knight is a shoe in" bull? Why does everyone act like he's confirmed just because of that stupid amiibo?

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion

"I'm getting sick of people having an opinion that isn't mine"

I don't even support Shovel Knight, but him, Shantae, Rayman, and Snake, along with Banjo & Kazooie, to some extent, clearly have a high level of demand in the top-voted 3rd parties in the ballot, if well-organized fan polls are anything to go by.

Last edited:

Midnight Twinkle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MidnightTwinkle
3DS FC
1461-6246-6413
Usually I like these guys, but what the heck is with "Shantae has no chance in hell, but Shovel Knight is a shoe in" bull? Why does everyone act like he's confirmed just because of that stupid amiibo?
I know.... that part shocked me....

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
The fact that he gave a big THANKS instead of a normal thanks means Sakurai did something for WayForward.

Also who can say that Sakurai didn't visit WayForward Studios a month or two ago?

Nintendo is famous for having their developers visit other countries to find info or inspiration.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
The fact that he gave a big THANKS instead of a normal thanks means Sakurai did something for WayForward.

Also who can say that Sakurai didn't visit WayForward Studios a month or two ago?

Nintendo is famous for having their developers visit other countries to find info or inspiration.
Pretty much nobody.

Go ask James about it.

Serell

Smash Apprentice
"I'm getting sick of people having an opinion that isn't mine"

I don't even support Shovel Knight, but him, Shantae, Rayman, and Snake, along with Banjo & Kazooie, to some extent, clearly have a high level of demand in the top-voted 3rd parties in the ballot, if well-organized fan polls are anything to go by.
Demand =/= chances

Yes, Shovel Knight has high demand, That only means he is popular. His popularity is his only qualification and that does not trump all of Shantae's qualifications. Shovel Knight has a chance, but that chance is no way near Shantae, Rayman, or even Snake.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Pretty much nobody.

Go ask James about it.
The thing is that if Sakurai really did go to California then James CAN'T talk about it AT ALL.

That is part of the whole secret info thing. Heck sometimes developers would drop hints without dropping hints.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Demand =/= chances

Yes, Shovel Knight has high demand, That only means he is popular. His popularity is his only qualification and that does not trump all of Shantae's qualifications. Shovel Knight has a chance, but that chance is no way near Shantae, Rayman, or even Snake.
The results of ballot makes the final decision.

Argument over.

Children0fTheStars

Smash Apprentice
I was thinking of the possibility of an NDA if anything had happened as well, but how do we know Sakurai was travelling recently? Wouldn't he be busy working on DLC?

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
I was thinking of the possibility of an NDA if anything had happened as well, but how do we know Sakurai was travelling recently? Wouldn't he be busy working on DLC?
Not necessarily. There've been no characters, so there's not much that he really needs to supervise in that department. Mii Fighter costumes are probably just a matter of looking at the team's choice and either saying yes or no. It may not be a large team, but it's still a team. Sakurai can delegate if he feels the need to travel.

Top Bottom