• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town, Shantae for SSB4 (WayForward wants her in Smash)

Serell

Smash Apprentice
The results of ballot makes the final decision.

Argument over.
Sakurai makes the final decision. He's not going to pick a character just because they're popular. Otherwise we'd have Goku in Smash. You obviously have no good arguments if all you will say is "argument over."

DoctorSanity

Smash Journeyman
I was gonna ask why they just didn't announce anything to celebrate the Oct. 3 release of Smash for 3DS but then I remembered that Japan got it on the 14th of September lol.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
This is awesome so at what time does the actual ballot close? 12 AM EST, CST, MST or PST?

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
image.jpg

I will always appreciate this. (Even more if Mighty No. 9 didn't blow chunks)

There people act like indies don't really matter, and easily brush them off to look up to the heroes they know.

That was mainly because they were born in a time where gaming was fairly new, heck, it was recently reborn at the time with the NES digging gaming out of the hole Atari dug.

However, like everything in media, there will come a day where these once-iconic heroes, who can be easily loved and appreciated by everyone, who have been around since the beginning, will eventually fade away.

What will happen? There will be a time where new heroes will have to rise, new faces for young, starry eyed, curious minds of the modern era to know and love for generations. To have the same experience that gamers and non-gamers alike had many years before, new household names, new characters that anyone, anywhere could enjoy.

That's where the indies come in. The heroes of tomorrow: for a new, changing world.

Last edited:

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
While a nice sentiment, I do think icons like Mario and Link will be hard to fade away due to consistently good games, whereas Sonic and Pac-Man have had...less than stellar success recently. And Mega Man still seems to be on the cusp of abandonment even with the anthology thing coming soon. If a character continues to be good, or are occasionally reinvented, then they'll never truly fade. Just as the mythos of the Norse and Greeks stay with us. Heck, for a while, Tomb Raider was pretty much a failing franchise until Crystal Dynamics pulled it out of the fire.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Exactly. And one to start the new generation(Indie) should be Shantae.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
While a nice sentiment, I do think icons like Mario and Link will be hard to fade away due to consistently good games, whereas Sonic and Pac-Man have had...less than stellar success recently. And Mega Man still seems to be on the cusp of abandonment even with the anthology thing coming soon. If a character continues to be good, or are occasionally reinvented, then they'll never truly fade. Just as the mythos of the Norse and Greeks stay with us. Heck, for a while, Tomb Raider was pretty much a failing franchise until Crystal Dynamics pulled it out of the fire.
I mean "fade" as in fall out of popularity and success, but still remembered by many.

Even with reboots, it's somewhat inevitable. Few stay popular forever, while many simply dissapeer without a trace.

Mario most likely won't, but many characters will.

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Exactly. And one to start the new generation(Indie) should be Shantae.
To some extent, the new generation's already started, and will only grow.

We explored new, mysterious worlds with a Half-Genie, Luchadore, Robot, and Scientist.

We triumphed over evil forces to save the one we love with a Shovel-wielding Knight.

We sped up to save the day with a Dragon Girl and her friends.

i would say something about fnaf but I don't want to be bombarded with hate (I don't even like the series very much, myself)

There's even more to come, across the next few years, and the new generation will really be here.

Shadowknight1

To some extent, the new generation's already started, and will only grow.

We explored new, mysterious worlds with a Half-Genie, Luchadore, Robot, and Scientist.

We triumphed over evil forces to save the one we love with a Shovel-wielding Knight.

We sped up to save the day with a Dragon Girl and her friends.

i would say something about fnaf but I don't want to be bombarded with hate (I don't even like the series very much, myself)

There's even more to come, across the next few years, and the new generation will really be here.
I shouldn't be surprised by the amount of hate FNAF gets, but then, I don't play it, I just watch Let's Plays. Mostly cause I think even a simple game like FNAF 1 would either run abysmally slow or blue screen my laptop lol. Say what you will about the first four FNAF games, they got a great following for essentially being very simple games. I'm kinda interested in the fifth game since it's supposedly going to be an RPG style game. But I digress.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Come to think of it, has there been any big new franchises this generation?

All I got is Destiny but that's more from sales and how people won't shut up about it than anything.

Shadowknight1

Splatoon if sales are anything to go by. And I know what you mean about Destiny. I tried it, didn't much care for it. Not big on FPS games.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
I shouldn't be surprised by the amount of hate FNAF gets, but then, I don't play it, I just watch Let's Plays. Mostly cause I think even a simple game like FNAF 1 would either run abysmally slow or blue screen my laptop lol. Say what you will about the first four FNAF games, they got a great following for essentially being very simple games. I'm kinda interested in the fifth game since it's supposedly going to be an RPG style game. But I digress.
Regardless of what anyone thinks about the series, Scott Cawthon is an incredibly nice guy, and takes criticism insanely well. Which is somewhat surprising, especially considering the whiny children of indie gaming's rise in popularity back in the early 2010s, such as Phil Fish.

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Welp, we're ticking down now guys.

I threw in one final vote for Shantae tonight while I still could, for good measure, and for good luck XD

Who knows who/what we'll see out of all of this... whatever the case, I am excited to see who we get.

Sakurai makes the final decision. He's not going to pick a character just because they're popular. Otherwise we'd have Goku in Smash. You obviously have no good arguments if all you will say is "argument over."
Actually we wouldn't have Goku from the ballot either way to be honest. Whether he got one vote, or a million... he didn't originate in video games.

And Ricky is right about the ballot being the deciding factor in this... if it were "just" up to Sakurai, there would be no point in all of this in the first place >_>. He'd be better off just pulling who he thinks would sell and calling it a day. To be honest, they could have done that actually.. just throw in a few Veterans and K. Rool and they'd be done. However, we're here, so it will be the Ballot, that decides what we get out of all of this. The whole reason we are all conversing here in the first place

And yes. Demand would equal chances, as it would be what the fans demand. Plain and simple. There is NO scraping from the bottom of the barrel in this. You don't start a fighter ballot, somewhere where the fans vote, and then just ignore the votes.. Doesn't work like that. We may not like some particular characters, however people need to realize these characters are there, and trying to downplay them, and detract them, and disregard them isn't going to make them disappear. If a character is high up there on the ballot, they will be considered, end of story. The ballot is all about the fan service. If fans/us want Shantae, they'll give us Shantae. If they want K. Rool, we'll get K. Rool. Shovel Knight? Shovel Knight. Bandana Dee? Bandana Dee. Who ever is up there, is who we are gonna get.

I myself am going into this expecting ANYTHING. There isn't just a single campaign in this. There is SEVERAL notable campaigns in this. We could get anyone out of this. We could get characters we don't like, and then again we could get characters we do. We just don't know. It all rests on the shoulders of Sakurai... who STILL has to pull from the ballot. ^_^

Last edited:

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239

I threw in one final vote for Shantae tonight while I still could, for good measure, and for good luck XD

Who knows who/what we'll see out of all of this... whatever the case, I am excited to see who we get.
Yeah good luck for us and especially for WayForward(one of the few studios that didn't fall under the moneyhatting BS).

BlitzUnleashed

Smash Apprentice
Usually I like these guys, but what the heck is with "Shantae has no chance in hell, but Shovel Knight is a shoe in" bull? Why does everyone act like he's confirmed just because of that stupid amiibo?
That's my biggest complaint there. I know Andre doesn't hate Shantae and all, but straight up saying that all because of an Amiibo? He's favoring Shovel Knight WAY too much. Amiibo's do NOT confirm characters for Smash. That's like saying Toad is confirmed because he has an Amiibo. That's like saying Isabelle is confirmed because she has an Amiibo.

They would have an Amiibo that's compatible for Smash AFTER they're confirmed. He needs a VALID reason why Shovel Knight has a better chance than just saying "he has an Amiibo" or saying "he's more popular than Shantae". I can tell that even Derek was disappointed to hear Andre say that.

With all the hate Andre is getting, I feel he's gonna make a video about it, eventually.

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
That's my biggest complaint there. I know Andre doesn't hate Shantae and all, but straight up saying that all because of an Amiibo? He's favoring Shovel Knight WAY too much. Amiibo's do NOT confirm characters for Smash. That's like saying Toad is confirmed because he has an Amiibo. That's like saying Isabelle is confirmed because she has an Amiibo.

They would have an Amiibo that's compatible for Smash AFTER they're confirmed. He needs a VALID reason why Shovel Knight has a better chance than just saying "he has an Amiibo" or saying "he's more popular than Shantae". I can tell that even Derek was disappointed to hear Andre say that.

With all the hate Andre is getting, I feel he's gonna make a video about it, eventually.
Yep. This fanbase really likes to jump to conclusions to be honest.

Character gets an amiibo? Shoe-in.

Character gets a Mii fighter costume based on them? Automatically deconfirmed.

This is the exact mindset that is going to get some fans set up for disappointment...

Due to the very nature of the ballot, it is very unpredictable. We don't have an exact display of who has the most desire/votes overall. Shovel Knight has no better chance of being a shoe-in than Shantae does. Or K. Rool. Or Bandana Dee, Rayman, Inklings,.. any campaign to be honest. We are all just gonna have to wait and see what happens, now that we are a hair-line away from the ballot officially being over and done. (I say this, as the page for accepting votes is still up, at least where I live.. so they haven't closed it yet as far as I know.. would they close it at 12 or something?)

Last edited:

takai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
infamoustakai
Anyone know where I can find high quality background art for any Shantae game? I've looked around and I can't find jack.

Either that or I'm terrible at Google searching. I may look around the HGH Kickstarter a little more too.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Anyone know where I can find high quality background art for any Shantae game? I've looked around and I can't find jack.

Either that or I'm terrible at Google searching. I may look around the HGH Kickstarter a little more too.
The kickstarter updates usually have a good bunch of it.

BlitzUnleashed

Smash Apprentice
Is the ballot closed yet? I mean, it's the 4th of October over here for me. It should be done by now.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
It was actually fake when the guy who made the shovel knight model came out and told everyone that he made it for the leaker.

Everything else was pretty much fake because of that.

conTAgi0n

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1668 7817 3192

Actually we wouldn't have Goku from the ballot either way to be honest. Whether he got one vote, or a million... he didn't originate in video games.

And Ricky is right about the ballot being the deciding factor in this... if it were "just" up to Sakurai, there would be no point in all of this in the first place >_>. He'd be better off just pulling who he thinks would sell and calling it a day. To be honest, they could have done that actually.. just throw in a few Veterans and K. Rool and they'd be done. However, we're here, so it will be the Ballot, that decides what we get out of all of this. The whole reason we are all conversing here in the first place

And yes. Demand would equal chances, as it would be what the fans demand. Plain and simple. There is NO scraping from the bottom of the barrel in this. You don't start a fighter ballot, somewhere where the fans vote, and then just ignore the votes.. Doesn't work like that. We may not like some particular characters, however people need to realize these characters are there, and trying to downplay them, and detract them, and disregard them isn't going to make them disappear. If a character is high up there on the ballot, they will be considered, end of story. The ballot is all about the fan service. If fans/us want Shantae, they'll give us Shantae. If they want K. Rool, we'll get K. Rool. Shovel Knight? Shovel Knight. Bandana Dee? Bandana Dee. Who ever is up there, is who we are gonna get.

I myself am going into this expecting ANYTHING. There isn't just a single campaign in this. There is SEVERAL notable campaigns in this. We could get anyone out of this. We could get characters we don't like, and then again we could get characters we do. We just don't know. It all rests on the shoulders of Sakurai... who STILL has to pull from the ballot. ^_^
I definitely think number of votes will matter, but I think it will be one of a few important factors. For instance, no matter how many votes Banjo-Kazooie and Snake get, I think it's probable that the legal difficulties and/or business disincentives will rule them out. If Nintendo has lots of incentive to include the number 8 most voted character, and/or Sakurai personally likes the idea a lot and thinks it fits his vision of the game, then that character could probably get a spot over any of the top 5 characters.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Probably the Smash Ballot will end at 12 AM PST.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
WHY IS EVERYONE ACTING LIKE THAT PICTURE OF JAMES AND SAKURAI MEAN SOMETHING

James attends a good number of Video Game/Pop Culture conventions, some of which where Sakurai attends, too. He also attended that press event in E3 2014 where they revealed Pac-Man in Smash Bros.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
"I'm getting sick of people having an opinion that isn't mine"

I don't even support Shovel Knight, but him, Shantae, Rayman, and Snake, along with Banjo & Kazooie, to some extent, clearly have a high level of demand in the top-voted 3rd parties in the ballot, if well-organized fan polls are anything to go by.
That's a nice straw man you've got there.

I'm sure Serell's emotionally secure about people having a differing opinion.
... if it were "just" up to Sakurai, there would be no point in all of this in the first place >_>.... Plain and simple... If a character is high up there on the ballot, they will be considered, end of story... Who ever is up there, is who we are gonna get.
You're making a mistake, if not in meaning or intention then in rhetoric.
If it were "just" up to the ballot, yes, it would directly equate to chances, but, no, it's obviously neither.
Ballot divided by Sakurai equals chances is more accurate. :D
Therefore, it's not the deciding factor, but is a significant factor.
You're also conflating chance and consideration. Prime example, Ridley, much considered by Sakurai with little to no chance.
Prease take a look: http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/09/26/sakurai-on-character-choices/

Also, ballot stuffing ain't cool, man.

Last edited:

Serell

Smash Apprentice

Master Chief would've been a better example. I'm sure tons of idiots are voting for him along with Goku. And no, Sakurai is the deciding factor, not the ballot. That's not to say the ballot is pointless. The point of the ballot is to give Sakurai ideas and help sway him towards one character or another. That's why there's a field with a 500 character limit for you to write about why the character you want should be in.

Demand is chances. But demand is simply not enough for good chances. Hypothetical situation: Shovel Knight places 1st in the ballot and Shantae places 2nd in the ballot, and Sakurai only wants to add 1 DLC character from the ballot. He would look at both Shantae and Shovel Knight and consider them. Ultimately, even though Shovel Knight placed higher, Sakurai would most likely choose Shantae. He would choose Shantae because of all the qualifications she has over Shovel Knight: starting out as nintendo exclusive, having a history with a nintendo, having the best titles on DSiware, and more. All of that trumps the one thing Shovel Knight has over Shantae, popularity. Hell, Sakurai could just go "nope I don't want no indies" and choose the 3rd most popular vote.

I'm not saying Shovel Knight doesn't have a chance, and there's nothing wrong about wanting him. I'm saying his chances are very low, and I don't like it when he's lumped in with other characters saying they have the same chances.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
i'm really tired and i don't really have any counter whatsoever for either arguments

I did find this on the article, though, about what Sakurai considers when choosing characters:

1. The character must display personality in their game (Friendly yet sassy/aggresive)

2. It’s important to have something only that character can do.
    (Hair whipping + transforming into animals + some items + Pirate Gear)

3. Potential development issues, and game balance is also taken into some consideration
    (The transformations may be an issue on the hardware, specifically 3DS)

4. Distribution among the franchises is also taken into consideration.
    (Basically meaning "is the character going to bring in money", which Shantae has a moderate chance of accomplishing)

Last edited:

DiagonalSpy07

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3754-7248-5911
Usually I like these guys, but what the heck is with "Shantae has no chance in hell, but Shovel Knight is a shoe in" bull? Why does everyone act like he's confirmed just because of that stupid amiibo?
While I understand he doesn't hate shantae, the way he said his claims felt kind of harsh

Top Bottom