• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town, Shantae for SSB4 (WayForward wants her in Smash)

DoctorSanity

Smash Journeyman
Ehhh, I don't know. I mean diversity always has its general "PC culture" vibe around it, but even from an artistic standpoint it makes sense. There's no dark skinned protagonists/dark skinned women in Smash = Shantae sticks out more and is inherently more recognizable because of it. At least compared to the other characters.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Yep let's keep Shantae's support going. I wonder how Gamefaqs is reacting to that link I sent them about Sakurai meeting a certain developer?

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Nintendo has promoting diversity a lot more recently. There's more focus on the Inkling Girl in Splatoon's ads and promotions, you can change your skin color in Pokemon X&Y, Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer, Splatoon, and even the color of the hand in Super Mario Maker. They also added homosexual relationships to FE fates with the only comment of "We added it to reflect the diversity of our audience."

In Smash Bros, the game meant to celebrate gaming, gamers, and it's history, yes, it's one of the many arguments for Shantae that holds merit.

Last edited:

Children0fTheStars

Smash Apprentice
I'd like to see Shantae in Smash, but the "muh diversity" arguments and any derivative thereof have no merit.
Sounds like John Rawls or Robespierre up in here.
I know they do to Sakurai, though, so it's a plus for her likelihood of inclusion.
I understand you meant that the argument holds "no merit" from an objective point of view, but you... kind of contradict that by going and admitting that Sakurai himself does seem to care about diversity. Aside from the fact that promoting "diversity" has been the politically-correct thing to do for a while.

Keep in mind that this is coming from me, someone that has had less-than-pleasant experience with self-proclaimed progressives that think they're fighting for "diversity" when they're actually coming across as the bigoted ones without even realizing it. I'm not going to explain that in-depth, but suffice it to say that it involves League of Legends. If you're aware of the game's history, you might know what I'm talking about.

Just... the "muh diversity" crack doesn't help. Most people that want Shantae aren't arguing for her from that angle alone.

Yep let's keep Shantae's support going. I wonder how Gamefaqs is reacting to that link I sent them about Sakurai meeting a certain developer?
It's GameFAQs. They don't react well to anything unless it involves MoneySoft "winning" in the gaming industry, or something negative involving Nintendo.

Okay, that shouldn't be taken completely literally.

Last edited:

BlitzUnleashed

Smash Apprentice
Just remembered that today has been a year since Smash 3DS was released world wide. The version that people, unfortunately, don't care about because it's a handheld...

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
I understand you meant that the argument holds "no merit" from an objective point of view, but you... kind of contradict that by going and admitting that Sakurai himself does seem to care about diversity. Aside from the fact that promoting "diversity" has been the politically-correct thing to do for a while.

Keep in mind that this is coming from me, someone that has had less-than-pleasant experience with self-proclaimed progressives that think they're fighting for "diversity" when they're actually coming across as the bigoted ones without even realizing it. I'm not going to explain that in-depth, but suffice it to say that it involves League of Legends. If you're aware of the game's history, you might know what I'm talking about.

Just... the "muh diversity" crack doesn't help. Most people that want Shantae aren't arguing for her from that angle alone.

It's GameFAQs. They don't react well to anything unless it involves MoneySoft "winning" in the gaming industry, or something negative involving Nintendo.

Okay, that shouldn't be taken completely literally.
Meanwhile Sony & PC are playing Go Fish on their piles of money

DoctorSanity

Smash Journeyman
Also I think Shantae would kinda have this secondary effect where the other girls become more appreciated? Eh?

I don't know how to describe it, but it happened when the muscular Zarya character was added to Overwatch for me. With a distinct contrast available to work off of, I found the other female characters more appealing alongside Zarya. (Even though Zarya my fave lol) I mean it might not be the same thing since that's body build difference vs. body skin difference but you know.

Midnight Twinkle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MidnightTwinkle
3DS FC
1461-6246-6413
My Shantae stage post got into the popular drawings section.... I don't know what to say.

Children0fTheStars

Smash Apprentice
Meanwhile Sony & PC are playing Go Fish on their piles of money
Well, I guess I won't lie, I am a little sore over Sony as they're kind of responsible for kicking my once-favorite company, Sega, out of the industry by defeating the Dreamcast with the PS2's DVD player. But at least they made an abundance of outstanding games for the PS1 and PS2 (and there's some quality stuff on the PS3 as well; inFAMOUS being a favorite), and what sets them apart from Microsoft is that instead of trying to cheat their way to the top by relying on money, Sony got in and succeeded on their own merit.

(Yeah, I know Sega was partially at fault as well with their hardware mistakes, trying to push the Sega CD, 32x, and mishandling of the Saturn)

But wouldn't PC = Microsoft? Unless you're referring to Valve.

Last edited:

GP2

Smash Apprentice
Are you sure you are looking at up to date results? I just checked the results after reading your post, and according to what I'm seeing, she is about 400 votes ahead of BK.
My goodness I swear when I checked at 6:00 AM she was only at 4200 but dang her support sky rocketed yet again. This is awesome!

I just got The Pirate's Curse yesterday so I can finally say I played a Shantae game. I'm enjoying it so far but I'm stuck on Saliva Island. Kinda embarassing lol.

CCTANK93

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CCTANK93
3DS FC
4296-3062-4792
I was, obviously, a Lucina supporter. I wanted so hard for her to get in, despite all the people and rumors saying that if Awakening got a representative it would be Chrom. Needless to say, I squee'd like crazy when her and Robin's trailer debuted! Let's hope my luck continues! I ended up maining Lucy despite not being big on Marth in the previous games, but she will drop to a 2nd when Shantae gets in!
I'm pretty much the exact same way lol. I love Lucina but if Shantae gets in Lucina will be my secondary.

Last edited:

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard

There's no contradiction at all.
You're misunderstanding what I mean by merit.
I'm short on time, but you sort of get at it with "objective point of view."
The criteria merit is determined on isn't whether Sakurai thinks she's a good choice.

The prime objective of good game design is providing deep and intuitive play, and in Shantae there is high potential for a unique moveset and mechanics. Secondarily, she's aesthetically pleasing and would add flavor to Smash.

The other diversity criteria don't fall within the realm of design philosophy: they're part of other considerations, PR, sales, pushing an agenda, etc., which might be worthy, but, again, they're outside of game design despite their ability to influence each other.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I've been thinking... If Kirby transforms through eating and Shantae transforms through dance what would happen if Kirby swallowed Shantae then did the Kirby dance?

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Last edited:

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
No, you said diversity is a non-factor but then followed up, right away, by saying it's a factor to Sakurai. And that wasn't even the point.
I didn't say it was a non-factor, I said it has no merit, referring to whether she would likely bring good design or not. Forgive me for not clarifying at the first. Again, you're simply misunderstanding.
Also, why no quote back / tag? :P

Last edited:

Midnight Twinkle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MidnightTwinkle
3DS FC
1461-6246-6413

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Everyone acts like Wayforward is the most desperate set of people voting in the Smash Ballot, but they're probably the least salty and are really good sports about it, even if Shantae doesn't win. That's what I love most.

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
>actually debate as to why Shantae has a chance despite being indie
>"Wow, this is why people hate you Shantae fans. Your games are so mediocre, you know that, right?"
I know, I know, greentexting out of 4chan, but still... why?
Speaking of that, there's been quite a bit of sudden ****posting about/against/whatever her recently, at least that I've noted.
Again, why?

DoctorSanity

Smash Journeyman
>"Wow, this is why people hate you Shantae fans. Your games are so mediocre, you know that, right?"
Speaking of that, there's been quite a bit of sudden ****posting about/against/whatever her recently, at least that I've noted.
Again, why?
Jealousy

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Again, why?
Because it's the end of the ballot and she's soaring ahead most popular competitors.

The hatred only increases her chances of getting to the roster and being high tier

Legend of Zelda and Mother/Earthbound are overrated as heck (YEAH I SAID IT) but you don't see me complaining about being stuck with their reps on the disc permenantly, while you have a choice.

Also, last time I checked, the entire Shantae series has had better review scores and reception in the past 13 years than this guy has had in 5. :4sonic:

He still gets a spot.

smh

Also, claiming a fanbase as irritating because they're supporting a character you don't want is childish. Do you see me whining about Sora spam?

okay rant over

Last edited:

conTAgi0n

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1668 7817 3192
Guys the haters can't do any real damage at this point. It's too late, the ballot's closing and they lost. Etika's poll proves that, whether they want to acknowledge it or not. They are just salty that they saw their favorite character surpassed by someone they hadn't heard of before. Since they have no influence anymore and we are doing so well, seeing Shantae hate at this point is worth a chuckle and no more consideration than that.

Damenshi

Smash Apprentice
Guys the haters can't do any real damage at this point. It's too late, the ballot's closing and they lost. Etika's poll proves that, whether they want to acknowledge it or not. They are just salty that they saw their favorite character surpassed by someone they hadn't heard of before. Since they have no influence anymore and we are doing so well, seeing Shantae hate at this point is worth a chuckle and no more consideration than that.
True enough. Everything's pretty much already in place at this point.
It's more or less in Master Sakurai's hands now.

God... my heart can't take this anticipation anymore.
Must... temper... expectations... must... suppress... hype...

Top Bottom