• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town, Shantae for SSB4 (WayForward wants her in Smash)

Black-magic13

Smash Apprentice
I can't keep waiting. I need to know if she's getting in or not now!
I agree the suspense is crazy! And honestly I just want to know if all this work has been for nothing or we supporters are gonna flip with joy or she doesn't get confirmed and we have to deal with all the @ssholes trashing her with things like I told y'all so and stuff

B.H. and DD

Smash Apprentice
I agree the suspense is crazy! And honestly I just want to know if all this work has been for nothing or we supporters are gonna flip with joy or she doesn't get confirmed and we have to deal with all the @ssholes trashing her with things like I told y'all so and stuff
That's gonna really suck if she doesn't get in. Her character is constantly under a lot of hate and as fans there's not much we can do about it. They just don't want to listen. If she doesn't get in we probably will never hear the end of it. "Shantae supporters were delusional from the beginning!" That's why I pray to God she gets in.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
I really hate to spread gossip and such, but...all the hate the Leaks group members are giving Shantae right now...it's sicking to a level of damn near arrogance and disrespect of ignorance... If you really think she's "obscure", look her up, and realized there are RECENTLY created games of her, which are wonderfully created games...

I normally don't try to get annoyed by this kind of thing from past experiences...but this kind of thing from this people on this damned site is what reminds me I hate the Smash Community and it's double standard ways...
Yup! Shantae's incredibly obscure!

There's not one character in Smash Bros that is unrecognized in the eyes of the general public! :4ness:

Everyone remembers these classic characters! :4pit:

None of the characters are obscure. :popo:

not :4marth::4lucina:

even :4falcon:

a :4robinm::4robinf:

single :4feroy:

character :4rob:

is :4lucas:

obscure. :4shulk::4gaw::4myfriends:

There's no movie, I'm sure he was just playing around.
Don't worry, I am.

(I'd totally watch it, though.)

Last edited:

Black-magic13

Smash Apprentice
That's gonna really suck if she doesn't get in. Her character is constantly under a lot of hate and as fans there's not much we can do about it. They just don't want to listen. If she doesn't get in we probably will never hear the end of it. "Shantae supporters were delusional from the beginning!" That's why I pray to God she gets in.
This . I feel like I might delete my account on gamefaqs and probably this cause of all the jacked up things that are gonna be said. I don't want to sit there and deal with it. Sakurai was something else with this ballot. Giving false hope to people lol.

conTAgi0n

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1668 7817 3192
I really hate to spread gossip and such, but...all the hate the Leaks group members are giving Shantae right now...it's sicking to a level of damn near arrogance and disrespect of ignorance... If you really think she's "obscure", look her up, and realized there are RECENTLY created games of her, which are wonderfully created games...

I normally don't try to get annoyed by this kind of thing from past experiences...but this kind of thing from this people on this damned site is what reminds me I hate the Smash Community and it's double standard ways...
What is the "leaks group"?

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
What I don't like, as a whole, is that WayForward constantly, constantly, gets the shortest end of the stick, out of all the Indie Developers out there. It's unfair, because they're fantastic. Most of the games that they have made, especially nowadays, have been great.

Wayforward doesn't get the same amount of attention that everyone else does, unfortunately.

The only reason indie games like Shovel Knight is popular is because of Kickstarter. If it wasn't for the support that game got, it would just be considered another generic 8-Bit indie game. (No, you don't need to remind me how Half-Genie Hero was on Kickstarter. Keep in mind that Mighty No. 9 screwed it over a day later.)

The only reason indie games like FNAF is popular is because of Lets Players. I don't see anyone big playing Shantae.

Maybe Wayforward can gain attention by making a jumpscare-filled sequel to LIT. :p

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Yup! Shantae's incredibly obscure!

There's not one character in Smash Bros that is unrecognized in the eyes of the general public! :4ness:

Everyone remembers these classic characters! :4pit:

None of the characters are obscure. :popo:

not :4marth::4lucina:

even :4falcon:

a :4robinm::4robinf:

single :4feroy:

character :4rob:

is :4lucas:

obscure. :4shulk::4gaw::4myfriends:

Don't worry, I am.

(I'd totally watch it, though.)
:4pit:Had a reason to be somewhat obscure. A new design and voice can do that to someone. Fortunately, hardcore gamers remembered him. Now to wait 22 more years for a sequel

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Not to be negative, but if this whole "Shantae for Smash" thing doesn't work out, do you think Wayforward would implement the Battle Mode from that cancelled GBA game into Half-Genie Hero, especially considering that Sky, Rottytops, Bolo, and Risky are now playable characters?

That looked so cool...

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Not to be negative, but if this whole "Shantae for Smash" thing doesn't work out, do you think Wayforward would implement the Battle Mode from that cancelled GBA game into Half-Genie Hero, especially considering that Sky, Rottytops, Bolo, and Risky are now playable characters?

That looked so cool...
I'd like that

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
To everyone who says that Shantae wouldn't "fit" in the roster:

You play as a genie, who dances to transform into animals and uses her hair to fight pirates, dragons, and freaking tanks

If that doesn't sound like a Nintendo franchise, I don't know what is.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
To everyone who says that Shantae wouldn't "fit" in the roster:

You play as a genie, who dances to transform into animals and uses her hair to fight pirates, dragons, and freaking tanks

If that doesn't sound like a Nintendo franchise, I don't know what is.
Just wait for someone to say Halo is more of a Nintendo franchise than Shantae.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
So Nintendo decided to run a contest on Instagram, asking people why they love their 3DS (in order to win a New 3DS XL)

For my entry, I simply put that I can now play the original Shantae without spending an arm and a leg.

Loïc

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2964-9447-9337
Just wait for someone to say Halo is more of a Nintendo franchise than Shantae.
PFFFFT, Mister Chef is clearly the best Nintendo character. What even is a Mario?

That looked so cool...
This existed? That looks like it would've been loads of fun had the game actually come out. While I can't see something like that being in the game on release due to the funding stuff, I could see it being DLC if the game does decent enough. maining rottytops if it happens

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
PFFFFT, Mister Chef is clearly the best Nintendo character. What even is a Mario?

This existed? That looks like it would've been loads of fun had the game actually come out. While I can't see something like that being in the game on release due to the funding stuff, I could see it being DLC if the game does decent enough. maining rottytops if it happens
Goku is a better Nintendo character

Sonic 2099 The Hedgehog

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sonic09Hedgehog
3DS FC
4038-6177-1632
You Know What Will be Ridiculous? (and it just came in) Shantae Crossed With Professor Layton.

Also: #Layton4Smash

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion

But I hear Rotty is gonna get nerfed and Bolo's is going to get his side attack buffed again

Matt clearly enjoys seeing this competitive crowd break down

Last edited:

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
But I hear Rotty is gonna get nerfed and Bolo's is going to get his side attack buffed again

Matt clearly enjoys seeing this competitive crowd break down
Man, what about RISKY, though?
She can summon her whole Tinkerbat crew plus her boat and destroy the entire screen. If that's not broken, I dunno what is. It'd make Greninja blush.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Man, what about RISKY, though?
She can summon her whole Tinkerbat crew plus her boat and destroy the entire screen. If that's not broken, I dunno what is. It'd make Greninja blush.
I have no idea why Nega Shantae and Human Rottytops are being added. They're just clones!

Last edited:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
If Shantae doesn't make it too Smash, I'm relying on the Project M team or

I have no idea why Nega Shantae and Human Rottytops are being added. They're just clones!
Umm, Project M Can't officially make a playable Shantae character in the game for copyright reasons. Only characters that have appeared in Brawl's ingame data are allowed to be used for them to make into playable characters (Knuckles, Lyn, Isaac, etc)

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Umm, Project M Can't officially make a playable Shantae character in the game for copyright reasons. Only characters that have appeared in Brawl's ingame data are allowed to be used for them to make into playable characters (Knuckles, Lyn, Isaac, etc)
I didn't mean to originally post that, hence why it was unfinished, but I forgot about it, but okay.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The hate for Shantae is typical to the smash community, or any fighting game community in general. There's no need to be upset about it really, because everything about every fighting game ever, including characters that aren't in the roster of the game already, will be hated upon with the uttermost scorn by at least a small group of people.

Nothing we can do about it. We can only really deal with it.

I don't see Shantae's chances as high myself, but I still support her wholeheartedly. I'm just excited to see where the ballot has taken us in general, and its end cannot come soon enough.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
If we follow Street Fighter's guide there'll be two remixes and four rips if Shantae gets a stage so what tracks do you want to see get a remix and which 4 you want in as is? (and which Shantae game they're from)

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Important news from Wayforward about Half-Genie Hero:

If you haven't completed your backer survey, do it now, as submissions for them will close on August 17th.

If you are from Europe, New Zealand, or Australia, pick the code marked with your region, and carefully check it before you send your survey, as is it is required in order to have it properly work on your console if you live in these areas. If the code you picked was for the incorrect region, you cannot fix it, and you miss out on all the backer-exclusive content, as well as your copy of the game, if you have pledged that much money to the kickstarter.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
The most voted polls by far:

1. King K. Rool:
335 Yes
156 No
38 Indifferent

2. Wolf:
369 Yes
46 No
44 Indifferent

3. Shantae:
288 Yes
130 No
33 Indifferent

4. Krystal:
175 No
160 Yes
50 Indifferent

5. Bandanna Dee:
212 Yes
87 No
73 Indifferent

6. Balloon Fighter:
138 No
107 Indifferent
100 Yes

7. Daisy:
179 Yes
115 No
23 Indifferent

8. Isaac:
225 Yes
52 Indifferent
39 No

9. Pichu:
148 No
100 Yes
32 Indifferent

10. Shovel Knight:
133 No
93 Yes
53 Indifferent

If you want to change the circumstances for some characters you gotta vote here. ;)
http://smashboards.com/threads/dail...mon-lana-sylux-zael-top-10-most-voted.410404/

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
If we follow Street Fighter's guide there'll be two remixes and four rips if Shantae gets a stage so what tracks do you want to see get a remix and which 4 you want in as is? (and which Shantae game they're from)
Personally I don't think that'll be the case for her stage considering the gimmick for Suzaku Castle is that it switches to a different theme in the last 30 seconds, but I'm mostly hoping that's not the case for Shantae because Jake Kaufman's work deserves better.

But as for Shantae music in general that I want to make it in:

Dance Through The Danger (Half Genie Hero)
Burning Town (Pirate's Curse Version) (Default on 3DS)
Risky Boots (Pirate's Curse Version)
Boss Battle (Pirate's Curse Version) (Alternate on 3DS)
Cackle Tower (Pirate's Curse)
Day/Night Travel (Propeller Town/A Troublesome Trek from Pirate's Curse)
Scuttle Town (Pirate's Curse Version)
She's Got Moves! (Risky's Revenge)
Trip Through Sequin Land (Pirate's Curse)
Run Run Rottytops! (Pirate's Curse)
Mermaid Slide (Half Genie Hero)
Rescue Girl (Mighty Switch Force 2)

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
For tracks to remix,
Scuttle Town
Boss Battle

For tracks to use directly,

The Music from this 0.5 Genie hero ad
Burning Town

And having ahard tiem deciding the last two..

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
The most voted polls by far:

1. King K. Rool:
335 Yes
156 No
38 Indifferent

2. Wolf:
369 Yes
46 No
44 Indifferent

3. Shantae:
288 Yes
130 No
33 Indifferent

4. Krystal:
175 No
160 Yes
50 Indifferent

5. Bandanna Dee:
212 Yes
87 No
73 Indifferent

6. Balloon Fighter:
138 No
107 Indifferent
100 Yes

7. Daisy:
179 Yes
115 No
23 Indifferent

8. Isaac:
225 Yes
52 Indifferent
39 No

9. Pichu:
148 No
100 Yes
32 Indifferent

10. Shovel Knight:
133 No
93 Yes
53 Indifferent

If you want to change the circumstances for some characters you gotta vote here. ;)
http://smashboards.com/threads/dail...mon-lana-sylux-zael-top-10-most-voted.410404/
Dunno how accurate these polls are, but I'm okay with these results (minus Pichu over Shovel Knight)

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Dunno how accurate these polls are, but I'm okay with these results (minus Pichu over Shovel Knight)
IF you look at it as percentage Shantae is higher than K. Rool (if lower than Wolf)

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Veterans, man.

Whatcho gonna do aboutit?
I was thinking Chrom, Rayman, or heck, Banjo & Kazooie would make the top 10, but...Pichu?

Especially considering that it is somewhat implied that Pikachu in Brawl and onward is an evolved form of Melee's Pichu, as he has similar stats.

Children0fTheStars

Smash Apprentice
Hi everyone, just made a SmashBoards account to join in on this thread; I've been watching for a short time, though I probably won't be here that often. I've supported the idea of Shantae ever since learning about her fan movement (I caught one thread several months ago on GameFAQs that mentioned her on the Smash Bros. Wii U board, which led me to look into her series and eventually buy Risky's Revenge and Pirate's Curse) and she has my vote. In fact she's about the only character DLC I'd be really hyped over (that said, Knuckles would be a character on my wish list, but I doubt they'd let Sega have him in especially before someone like Tails). Don't really need to add me to the thread's supporter list as I don't plan on being that active here, but I won't object if you do.

There's actually a specific reason I decided to make this account. I've been pretty positive about the attention she's getting for the Ballot, but one thing just occurred to me this evening that suddenly made me feel pretty uneasy about any chance she may have.

Assuming that Sakurai and his teams are looking/will look at her votes and research the character, there might be one serious problem and that's Shantae's transformations. Now, we know that her animal forms are more used for puzzle-solving/progression than for combat and that they'd be unnecessary for a Smash fighter moveset. But I'm worried that Sakurai, probably being unfamiliar with Shantae and her series, might assume that she'd be a fighter that revolves around transformations, resulting in her being dismissed thanks to this game having done away with transformations due to hardware limits.

I don't mean to discourage anyone here by saying this... but could we be confident that their research into the character would be thorough enough to avoid this? I mean, in an ideal world Sakurai most likely would easily put in the effort to learn about her and understand that Shantae works as a fighter purely in her genie form thanks to her spells and a Pirate's Curse item or two. But the thing is she's one request out of many, possibly hundreds of fighters and they wouldn't have time to painstakingly learn every single aspect of each character and game.

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Hi everyone, just made a SmashBoards account to join in on this thread; I've been watching for a short time, though I probably won't be here that often. I've supported the idea of Shantae ever since learning about her fan movement (I caught one thread several months ago on GameFAQs that mentioned her on the Smash Bros. Wii U board, which led me to look into her series and eventually buy Risky's Revenge and Pirate's Curse) and she has my vote. In fact she's about the only character DLC I'd be really hyped over (that said, Knuckles would be a character on my wish list, but I doubt they'd let Sega have him in especially before someone like Tails). Don't really need to add me to the thread's supporter list as I don't plan on being that active here, but I won't object if you do.

There's actually a specific reason I decided to make this account. I've been pretty positive about the attention she's getting for the Ballot, but one thing just occurred to me this evening that suddenly made me feel pretty uneasy about any chance she may have.

Assuming that Sakurai and his teams are looking/will look at her votes and research the character, there might be one serious problem and that's Shantae's transformations. Now, we know that her animal forms are more used for puzzle-solving/progression than for combat and that they'd be unnecessary for a Smash fighter moveset. But I'm worried that Sakurai, probably being unfamiliar with Shantae and her series, might assume that she'd be a fighter that revolves around transformations, resulting in her being dismissed thanks to this game having done away with transformations due to hardware limits.

I don't mean to discourage anyone here by saying this... but could we be confident that their research into the character would be thorough enough to avoid this? I mean, in an ideal world Sakurai most likely would easily put in the effort to learn about her and understand that Shantae works as a fighter purely in her genie form thanks to her spells and a Pirate's Curse item or two. But the thing is she's one request out of many, possibly hundreds of fighters and they wouldn't have time to painstakingly learn every single aspect of each character and game.
Considering how Sakurai was insane enough to make a moveset for the Duck Hunt Dog, Wii Fit Trainer, and Villager, I'm sure it'll be fine.

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608

Well, you can also consider transformation attacks could be in and out, kind of like Kirby's down B move, but I'm sure Sakurai could come up with a unique moveset.

Top Bottom